More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 03:26:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Lag, what could I upgrade.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Lag, what could I upgrade.  (Read 15497 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Lag, what could I upgrade.
« Reply #25 on: 2012 June 19, 03:24:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh look, you know, I've been dying for someone to ask me to show off my epeen.

I bought a core i7 chip with Ivy bridge architecture, socket 1155 - couldn't afford the socket 2011. I made sure the motherboard had 6GB SATA connections and I used a SSD for my primary. 16GB RAM - I was going for 32GB but changed mobos midstream and forgot to check the number of RAM slots in the new board. C'est la vie, it seems to run sweet on 16GB. (I could still upgrade to 32GB if I went to 8GB RAM cards, but I got a good deal on the 4GB ones). I went ATI Radeon for future Crossfire capabilities. The video card is HD 7850 with 2GB RAM, three generations advanced from my previous card, I think this and the RAM has actually made the biggest difference to my gaming. /smug

My sims game used to stutter and lag and I don't get any of that now. It will still occasionally crash but I suspect that's just EAxis.

I don't know why I'm getting good ingame images, tbh, I am not a graphics geek by any means. I usually try tweaking various things in the Catalyst control till I have fucked up the graphics completely, then I reset it all to factory defaults. A few rounds of this and I just let the game set what it wants. Then I turn everything in the game up to high.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
mephlabs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012 June 19, 03:46:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, you fucked me 5 times in a row.
It seems that your Card is the difference in graphics (not mention the I7 of course, and the ram, and the HD, and well, maybe your monitor at 1080p I guess.).

http://www.hwcompare.com/12080/radeon-hd-6770-vs-radeon-hd-7850/

This is Mine vs Yours, and yours double the crap of mine.

Anyways, I can't get why other insects at official forums with integrated graphics see the game without that jagged shit.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012 June 19, 04:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well, you fucked me 5 times in a row.
Thanks, hope you enjoyed it.

Is the anisotropic thing the key here?

Anyways, I can't get why other insects at official forums with integrated graphics see the game without that jagged shit.
That I cannot answer. I've never seen good integrated graphics work for gaming, not without severe lag. My laptop can play Lord of the Rings Online, but it's like steering a bus from the rear, even if the picture looks reasonable.

Interestingly, my new card doesn't seem to render as crisp an image as the old one. Pescado is always saying you need the jagged bits and I have to say the new images initially looked almost a bit blurry to me, they were smoothed so much. You just need to make smaller jagged bits. Sad

mephlabs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2012 June 19, 04:24:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@witch: the key is that VGA is 90% better in the antialias proccess (90% faster, stronger, better). It's equal 2,5 power of mine. Sad (but doubled the price and my PSU is in the limit)

I prefer the smooth and blurry to those chainsaw crap, but I'm still thinking maybe a config problem, because I saw (don't remember when) a HD4200 running without those borders. I'll be asking in the Official boards. (when i get a game Tongue)
Monty
Asinine Airhead

I will make them love me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 2012 July 17, 12:16:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You should build an entirely new computer. Unless you want your computer to be a multitasking machine, don't get an i7, just get an i5. I found this out the hard way when I realised an i5 wasn't enough for my 600 tabs browser habits.

GPU should be an AMD HD 6900 generation card or above if you have multiple monitors or are poor. Otherwise, get Nvidia GTX 560 or better for the improved support. Personally I prefer AMD since it's cheaper, it has better support for 3 monitors, and you can future proof it in a sense by getting an identical card in a few years time and crossfiring it.

Work up to around 16GB of RAM gradually. This isn't as important if you start off with a reasonable number, it just helps.

And obviously, a solid state drive will significantly reduce load times.

Of course, I'm assuming that you don't want a Sims machine and you play other games. Failing that, at least the build will last you some.

Use this guide for more up-to-date builds when this post is old: http://tinyurl.com/falconguide
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2012 July 17, 18:39:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally I prefer AMD since it's cheaper, it has better support for 3 monitors, and you can future proof it in a sense by getting an identical card in a few years time and crossfiring it.

AMD does not require an identical card, just one that's close. This is the main reason I went AMD not nvidia.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: