More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 14:25:16

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Animated custom hair
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Animated custom hair  (Read 14459 times)
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
Animated custom hair
« on: 2005 December 02, 05:23:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Regarding the earlier conversation about "decent custom hair", I recently downloaded this free animated ponytail mesh from http://www.simmetrical.com/ that looks quite nice in the game (even though my sim doesn't seem to think so after her make-over  Cheesy )

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Animated custom hair
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 02, 05:44:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of custom hair, does anyone have PeggySims' donation meshes ingame? Can you guys tell me if her hairs look/work nice ingame? W/ all the talk of hairs not living up to their screenshots, I'm wondering they're really as nice as they look. Right now, from the screens, I'm seriously, seriously tempted to just subscribe to her site, since she now has a subscription area instead of individual donation items.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

mean sims and empty lots don't mix...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 02, 05:51:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found a nice animated ponytail similar to that at MTS2. It has a seperate accessory bang mesh and is for all ages. I think it might be a tad fuller than that one and perhaps juat a bit shorter. (it's definately not the same one).

cute sim by the way. She has nice freckles.

No peggy sims donation meshes in my game I'm afraid.  I have her free ones though and am happy with them. I'd guess that her newer meshes are nice, but that's just a guess.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Avie is a Vin Diesel sim.  Get him at My Yahoo Group
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 02, 06:00:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the ponytail that dewshine has, and I love that mesh. It's very well done. Here are my pet peeves:

--Meshes that leave a gap at the base of the neck (don't these people test their meshes in the freaking game?!?!?!
--Different recolors for the meshes without matching eyebrow colors. I don't want a blonde Sim with red eyebrows.
--Meshes from fairly well-known people with holes, or with the back of the mesh completely looking like crap. Do they just look at the front?
--Textures just slapped on meshes without regard to what real hair looks like. Also, the obviously slapped on blurry photograph texture, instead of doing a real texture. (Does that make sense?)

I've been downloading a ton of hair meshes lately, and going through them one by one. I wind up deleting most of them. I have a few that I really like except for the neck gape issue, which I am hoping Dylan will fix for me.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 02, 06:04:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OOOH...Dylan can fix those gapes? I must find out how, as sim me and all my backwards wearing ball cap guys have that issue...
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 02, 06:08:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found a nice animated ponytail similar to that at MTS2. It has a seperate accessory bang mesh and is for all ages. I think it might be a tad fuller than that one and perhaps juat a bit shorter. (it's definately not the same one).

cute sim by the way. She has nice freckles.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to go looking for that hair at MTS2, I'm a sucker for ponytails  Cheesy.

The freckles are Maxis made ones hidden in the game that someone extracted. I think they are the only thing I ever downloaded from the Exchange  Cheesy

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 02, 06:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah, I hate those gaps.  I really really do.  Now XM sims has some pretty good hairs. (wild colors, but cute and well done). I've downloaded a bunch that were catagorized into the color bins and all that had crappy textures. I figure that I'll look at fixing the textures if the meshes have no other problems, but there are lots of them that I look at in the game and toss, too.

really? weird the things maxis hid in the files. I'll have to dig around for those.

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 02, 06:31:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to go looking for that hair at MTS2, I'm a sucker for ponytails  Cheesy.
The freckles are Maxis made ones hidden in the game that someone extracted. I think they are the only thing I ever downloaded from the Exchange  Cheesy

Really? Are they face makeup? I'd love that for my Angela Broke. I think she'd look so cute w/ freckles. Do you know who exactly on the exchange made them? Or perhaps you could send it to me? A search for freckles on the BBS turns out about 500 results, and I really am not looking for user made ones, which make up the bulk of the search results.

yeah, I hate those gaps.  I really really do.  Now XM sims has some pretty good hairs. (wild colors, but cute and well done). I've downloaded a bunch that were catagorized into the color bins and all that had crappy textures. I figure that I'll look at fixing the textures if the meshes have no other problems, but there are lots of them that I look at in the game and toss, too.

Really? I think XM Sims has really nice textures. They're all so detailed and so glossy! I dunno where they get their textures from. But they all look really nice.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 02, 06:43:16 by idtaminger » Logged
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 02, 07:02:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Really? Are they face makeup? I'd love that for my Angela Broke. I think she'd look so cute w/ freckles. Do you know who exactly on the exchange made them? Or perhaps you could send it to me? A search for freckles on the BBS turns out about 500 results, and I really am not looking for user made ones, which make up the bulk of the search results.

Someone at MTS2 extracted some Maxis stuff, including the freckles. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=73414

Fail.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 02, 07:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, the ones at MTS2 look exactly the same as the ones I've got. I didn't know about alien freckles, though, definitely must have those, too!

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 02, 07:41:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thnx you guys!  Grin

But can I ask, is there any way to get more than one face mask on a sim? Cuz it seems right now I'll have to choose between freckles or braces...but I'd definitely love to use them both on one sim.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 02, 07:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was able to get two facemasks on my sim Josh. He has both custom teeth (mermaid cove rocks! lol) and earrings (the painted on kind). It was apparently a fluke, though. Weird, since I can put a billion pairs of glasses and multiple earring sets on a single sim...
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 02, 08:05:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thnx you guys!  Grin

But can I ask, is there any way to get more than one face mask on a sim? Cuz it seems right now I'll have to choose between freckles or braces...but I'd definitely love to use them both on one sim.

Just like glasses/earrings, they would have to be in different "bins." You could, I guess, edit the bin numbers yourself. Dr Pixel explains bins on MTS2... of course he was talking about accessories, but it most likely works the same. I think there are a couple of Maxis face masks that you can combine, and I think Hairfish (Mermaid Cove) has made some combinable masks, so you could ask.

Fail.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 02, 09:29:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was able to get two facemasks on my sim Josh. He has both custom teeth (mermaid cove rocks! lol) and earrings (the painted on kind). It was apparently a fluke, though. Weird, since I can put a billion pairs of glasses and multiple earring sets on a single sim...

I occassionaly have this happen where I can put more than one thing on a sim from a specific category.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 02, 09:30:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thnx you guys!  Grin

The braces that I have (that I also think are Maxis ones found hiding in the game) are categorized under lipstick in make-up. I don't remember where I got them, though.

nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 02, 09:41:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Speaking of custom hair, does anyone have PeggySims' donation meshes ingame? Can you guys tell me if her hairs look/work nice ingame? W/ all the talk of hairs not living up to their screenshots, I'm wondering they're really as nice as they look. Right now, from the screens, I'm seriously, seriously tempted to just subscribe to her site, since she now has a subscription area instead of individual donation items.

Yeah, I'd like an answer to that too.  This is the first time I've been seriously considering subscribing just for her hairs because they look so nice but if they're not animated well, then I won't bother. 
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 02, 11:45:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thnx you guys!  Grin

Just like glasses/earrings, they would have to be in different "bins." You could, I guess, edit the bin numbers yourself. Dr Pixel explains bins on MTS2... of course he was talking about accessories, but it most likely works the same. I think there are a couple of Maxis face masks that you can combine, and I think Hairfish (Mermaid Cove) has made some combinable masks, so you could ask.

Okay, so I couldn't find the relevant info for you, but I had some time this morning and decided to take a look at it. Here is what I found.

Face masks can be combined if they are in different bins. Lets use this as an example: you have Helaene's freckles which are under Face Masks, and you also have contact lenses, also under Face Masks. You want to use both at the same time.

First, make sure they are currently NOT combinable. This is just to make sure they are in the same bin at this time.

Now open one of them in SimPE. On the top-left select Texture Overlay XML. Once you select that, at least one line will pop up on the top-right. You will have to edit EVERY LINE.

Once you've selected one of the lines, on the bottom-left select bin (dtUInteger) =.

You will see a number there (in the Value box on the bottom-right), probably either 0x00000014 or 0x00000005. Simply change this number to the other one. If it was 0x00000014, change it to 0x00000005, and vice-versa.

Check to see if they are now combinable... they should be.

There are probably other bin numbers you can use, to make even more masks combinable. Play around with them.

To prove that this works, here is a sim wearing THREE masks:

The numbers I used for the three masks are 0x00000014, 0x00000005, and 0x00000003.

Fail.
SIMplyLisa
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 02, 12:21:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks SaraMK, for the nice info, I'll have to try it out!
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 02, 12:24:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well another way for the SimPE-o-phobic would be to go into the Body Shop, clone the old people wrinkle mask, which is in a different bin, make it available for adults, and swap out the wrinkles for your freckles or braces or whatever. I've also seen people turn blush or even lipstick into face masks that's another option, particularly for male sims who normally wouldn't be using those items anyhow.

Regarding the gaps in meshes, it is annoying, tacky and amatuerish, not to mention inexcusable for a paysite. I kept checking the damned adult and teen afro female meshes I made over and over in both 3D Studio Max and The body shop and rotated them every which angle. It was kind of a pain and it seemed like when I sealed one gap another would pop up lol but it was worth it because I absolutely will not use any mesh with any sort of gap.

Another way is to just seal the mesh. We used to do this in Morrowind. It's a lot easier and I'm not sure why no one does it in TS2 except maybe because Maxis didn't. Basically, instead of a mesh that's for example,  a half circle, you'd have on that's a full circle, so they're be some polygons that you wouldn't see that would get rendered, which generally is not a good thing, but you can minimize that and make the hidden area very low poly. I guess the only downside is that I *think* if you add extra polys to seal the mesh it will break the animations unless someone has figured them out yet, but if it's a very short hair it won't matter anyway since those generally don't have animations.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 02, 12:31:12 by Motoki » Logged

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 02, 12:26:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well an easier way would be to clone the old people wrinkle mask, which is in a different bin, make it available for adults, and swap out the wrinkles for your freckles or braces or whatever.

That's pretty much what I did (to get the bin numbers), since that's the only combinable mask in the game.

Using SimPE makes more sense, since you can edit masks that you have downloaded. Otherwise you would have to use Bodyshop to swap textures, and textures can lose clarity from the editing.

Fail.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 02, 12:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know, but you know how some people are when you mention SimPE.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wink

Anyway, I don't think you loose that much clarity via the bodyshop. *shrug* I think Maxis' compression algorith is pretty good. SimPE's can be kind of funky unless you use the DDS tools to do it.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 02, 12:48:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, okay... the SimPEphobics can use Bodyshop. Smiley

But you can't get more than two masks to combine using just Bodyshop. What if you want freckles AND wrinkles AND moles AND lip piercings AND contact lenses? Or what if you want to create a set of moles (like a dozen moles in various locations on the face) and be able to combine them however you want? Or face piercings. The 77 Sim Lane site has "combo" piercings that are basically just their separate piercings put on one mask. This could have been done much better using bins, letting players combine the piercings any way they want.

Fail.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 02, 13:37:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh... gee, I'm so happy to find more info!  I love you people.  Cheesy  Combining using bins for the face masks is very cool (I'm going to spend the day on sorting those now, lol)
I didn't mean that XM sims had crappy textures... Sorry if it sounded that way. no, I meant that other sites have crappy textures. I've gotten rather spoiled by XM sims, Sunair Sims, and Peggy sims because of their good textures.
It seems that a lot of pay sites think they can give away their crappy stuff, but you know, If I judge by what I can see in the game there's no way I'll pay for those other hairs.

Guppy sims has nice meshes for the most part without gaps, but some of the textures are really bad. It could be a UV mapping issue, I suppose. I haven't looked at that too closely yet.
There are other sites that are bad too.  I stopped downloading hairs from TSR because the images are so small that the hairs look totally different (and often crappy) in the game.
« Last Edit: 2005 December 02, 14:41:28 by dewshine » Logged

SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 02, 13:46:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Guppy sims has nice meshes for the most part without gaps, but some of the textures are really bad. It could be a UV mapping issue, I suppose. I haven't looked at that too closely yet.
There are other sites that are bad too.  I stopped downloading hairs from TSR because the images are so small that the hairs look totally different (and often crappy) in the game.

If you look around, you can find much nicer textures for Guppy hair meshes. Many of the meshes are fine, it's the textures that aren't. Elau has some textures for the long ponytail, MTS2 has some, and http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SimmillionHomes3/ has some.

Fail.
dewshine
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 02, 14:42:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll do that.  I've kept most of the meshes from guppy sims with that idea so I should look around.  thanks for the site tips.
*Edit*
Here are the bin numbers I've noticed and the catagories I've seen them in:
0x0000000B (eyes)
0x00000003 (Brows)
0x00000014 (Costume Makeup)
0x00000002 (Beards)
0x00000001 (stubble)
0x00000007 (eyeshadow)
0x00000006 (eyeliner)
0x00000008 (blush)
0x0000000A (lipstick)

I have yet to locate where 0x00000004 is used. Anyone know?
I'm going to play with this and see what else works.

*Edit again*
Using those listed bins with costume makeup caused the makeup to replace whatever the bin was listed for (ie using 0x0000000A replaced lipstick, and using 0x00000003 replaced eyebrows).
Dr. Pixel and Sunair had a conversation about bins over at MTS2 and the good doctor listed the following bins for accessories:
0x0000000F (glasses)
0x0000000C
0x0000000D
0x0000000E
0x00000053

Now I have tested 0x0000000C with the costume makeup and it works. here's a pic

Note that I have not tested it with accessories/glasses that might be in this bin also.
It does not override anything, and this sim has on all the layers of makeup, normal glasses, all the face hair, and 3 costume makeups (the red dots, the wrinkles, and the football shaders).
« Last Edit: 2005 December 02, 18:10:50 by dewshine » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: