More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:17:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Hostile Play Environment
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Hostile Play Environment  (Read 20097 times)
wyndsong
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Hostile Play Environment
« on: 2012 March 13, 03:30:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know I'm going to get all kinds of backlash from this, but I must speak out.  I'm not angry, just a little surprised by this forum sometimes.  Why do some people have to be so negative and insulting whenever someone needs help?  Especially when it comes to legitimate concerns about installing this program.  For a newbie to come in and try to install Awesome from the download page with NO INFORMATION about whether it's been updated, how would he know why it wasn't working?  He could spend a few hours reading the forum for answers but what would he find?  Talk of an update, a hint of a test mod, and many statements that the download link on the download page is ALWAYS the most recent update. 

Besides, you can berate someone without calling them names and making them feel like the scum of the earth.

Just sayin'.

Furthermore, don't forget that all you superior intellectuals are playing a game where you pretend to have a life.
Ichigo
Corpulent Cretin

Hellbitch

View Profile WWW
Re: Hostile Play Environment
« Reply #1 on: 2012 March 13, 03:42:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Little lord Jesus, with a name like "More Awesome Than You", you would think people would get the idea that this is not a snuggly bunch. LURK MOAR. The people of MATY have always been helpful and polite to me when I need technical help because I ask for it with proper grammar and evidence that I did some research on my own.

And what makes you think *YOU* are the one to speak out? If you knew you'd get backlash, why bother?

ENFP. God help you all.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2012 March 13, 04:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know I'm going to get all kinds of backlash from this, but I must speak out.  I'm not angry, just a little surprised by this forum sometimes.  Why do some people have to be so negative and insulting whenever someone needs help?  Especially when it comes to legitimate concerns about installing this program.  For a newbie to come in and try to install Awesome from the download page with NO INFORMATION about whether it's been updated, how would he know why it wasn't working?  He could spend a few hours reading the forum for answers but what would he find?  Talk of an update, a hint of a test mod, and many statements that the download link on the download page is ALWAYS the most recent update. 

Besides, you can berate someone without calling them names and making them feel like the scum of the earth.

Just sayin'.

Furthermore, don't forget that all you superior intellectuals are playing a game where you pretend to have a life.

Really? Is it that fucking hard to read RIGHT THERE IN THE DOWNLOAD THREAD :
UPDATE
Updated to Patch 1.29
Added "Finish Queue" mode as requested by Fat Gwilly People to speed 4.

Oh fuck off if you aren't going to have the basic courtesy to READ. Do you walk into a bookstore and wail at the top of your lungs that you can't find something too?

Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 March 13, 04:10:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So close! Now just accuse someone of Pescado worship and speak in 1337.

socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 March 13, 04:14:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know I'm going to get all kinds of backlash from this, but I must speak out.  I'm not angry, just a little surprised by this forum sometimes.  Why do some people have to be so negative and insulting whenever someone needs help?  Especially when it comes to legitimate concerns about installing this program.  For a newbie to come in and try to install Awesome from the download page with NO INFORMATION about whether it's been updated, how would he know why it wasn't working?  He could spend a few hours reading the forum for answers but what would he find?  Talk of an update, a hint of a test mod, and many statements that the download link on the download page is ALWAYS the most recent update.  
 The answer would be to familiarize yourself with the site. Correct me if I am wrong (anyone and everybody), but the purpose of a website is to garner recumbent visitors. If one is savvy enough, it isn't difficult to figure the site's culture (especially since it is manifested in the FAQ). And, if one reads the FAQ first, there are no questions later. The FAQ is easily recognized and easy to read. It is an indication of laziness and stupidity to not familiarize oneself of the sites' procedures (especially since it is so easily located!) before posting. It is also presumed that one who is interested in using said mod would take the time to read and understand the forum and have a basic knowledge of computers BEFORE trying to use a mod. Really, if you don't know how to extract a zip/rar file, why are you here? (Although, it's been my experience that those who know more than me are more than helpful)

[/quote] Besides, you can berate someone without calling them names and making them feel like the scum of the earth. [/quote]  
ORLY, Shame is an effective learning tool, especially since the norms of the forum are specifically designated in the FAQ. (Is it necessary to link?) The predominant time, the question has been asked so often, that even noobes like me find it difficult to respond in a manner you would find acceptable.

[/quote] Just sayin'.[/quote]  Mmm hmmm.

[/quote]Furthermore, don't forget that all you superior intellectuals are playing a game where you pretend to have a life.[/quote]

We pretend to have a life? See, here's the problem - everyone on this forum DOES have a life. Responding to questions for which the answers have been given time and again is not only aggravating, but also a waste. It also detracts from the focus - MOAR fight ('tis amusing, no?). Lame and deserving of a raspberry.

ETA: So I fucked up on quoting. Does that retract from the statement? Of course it does. Well that's craptiatsically my mistake. Hopefully you get the gist.
« Last Edit: 2012 March 13, 04:22:31 by socurious » Logged

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
unknownlUser
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 March 13, 04:16:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you walk into a TEA shoppe and scream "I want a Grande Triple-shot Caramel Mocha Latte No Whip!" ?

That is essentially what all the complains in the Bug report threads are doing when they are using the wrong AM version and mixing AM with other mods and then complaining that AM is not working.

And you want to help these people? To help people be more stupid? Spread the lurve and tard-enabling?
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 March 13, 04:19:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just sayin'.

Are you new to the internet or just bored? Answering "both" is ok.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 March 13, 04:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Angry, self-righteous tard is angry and self-righteous.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 March 13, 04:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This site demands that its members display a modicum of self-sufficiency. It's no one's fault but their own if they refuse to develop any. What makes MATY different from the ten million warmer, fuzzier, infinitely glompier Sims sites out there is that the members here know that coddling self-righteous idiots is a surefire method of attracting more. The information people need is fully available to all who are willing to lurk and search for just a little while. And if they aren't willing to do that, it's perfectly acceptable if people call them out for ignoring the rules and wasting everyone else's time. Just like you're doing, with your pouting and white-knighting.
RebelRed
The Evil Psycho
Feckless Fool

No fucks given

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 March 13, 05:17:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Expecting someone to lurk more, and read the fax before posting IS EXPECTED.  You can only answer the same questions so many times before you just don't give a shit anymore.  The Senators and members here answer questions out of their own kindness, not because they have to.  They expect you to try searching before you ask, and at least have your framework put in correctly.  There are explicit instructions on MTS if you need your hand held.  Coming to MATY and acting like you so fucking entitled is a good way to get sporked.  If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

meh.
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 March 13, 05:43:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The culture of MATY is necessary.  Learn from it and appreciate it; it will teach you if you let it.  No one is asking you to like it here and you don't have to like it to appreciate it.
Beldara
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012 March 13, 06:07:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've lurked on this forum for a long time.

People here are helpful.  Usually I only need to lurk as I can find the information they provide for myself.  I reply if I think I can add something to the conversation, otherwise I shut up and go about my business.

If other visitors would help themselves and do the same, there wouldn't be any drama, would there. 
I'm glad that the forum regulars go for the throat.  I'm sick of seeing everything in our world dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.  I'm all for taking warning labels off everything and letting nature take it's course.

KRYTEN: Absolutely sir, with the Kinitawowi *not* skinning you alive the moment they set eyes on you is one of their warmest greetings.
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 March 13, 06:34:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

recumbent visitors
Of all the many malapropisms made by socurious in the above quoted post, ^ this is the best. I looked for a silly photo/macro to go with it but got sidetracked by the wearable pillow:

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2012 March 13, 07:34:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to take umbrage with the OP. This forum isn't a hostile play environment, it's an openly hostile forum.

Now the game, that I'll agree, is a hostile play environment at times. Particularly the constant borkage due to patches & the persistent sound issues. Those definitely make for a hostile play environment.

But the forum?

I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't play on the forum. I mostly read for mod updates & whargarble about patches, eps & sps. Occassionally I make a mod request or error report and even more occassionally I get sporked. But that's what we do here. That is, when we're not playing sims.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012 March 13, 15:35:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This forum isn't hostile. It's the best god damn LARP in existence. It's not our fault you can't grok that and fail at RPing.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
mannyr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 March 13, 16:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BLABLABLABLABLAH OFFENDED BLABLABLABLABLAH NEWBIE...you can berate someone without calling them names and making them feel like the scum of the earth...
You're refferring to yourself on both of your statements, right?
ForkInToaster
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012 March 13, 18:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just because people don't ream you on other sites doesn't mean that they don't wish they could. If you post crap, the only reason people don't flame your post to hell is that most websites don't allow things like that to happen.  I love the other sims sites and I mostly just lurk here, but I appreciate what this site has to offer.  I don't come here for the *huggies*  I come here to fix what is broken and to find out stuff about the game.  I hate poor grammar and spelling. I detest people who *LOL* at their own posts.  I don't see the "moar fight" here as a bug. I see it as a feature. The only other websites I see that maintain a signal to noise ratio as high as this site use aggressive moderating to get the job done. I appreciate this as a mostly mod-free place where social Darwinism gets rid of the ass-hats with poor online social skills.

There are some people on the friendlier sites here that if I  found them on this site, I'd come out of lurk and rip them one because I am sick of their piss-poor garbage they call posting on other sites.  Of course, by the time I bothered to get to them, their bones would be already picked clean from the regulars here and I'd have to settle for scraps.  If you coddle posters to much, you end up with posts full of *giggles*, *lols* and those retarded happy faces people grossly over use.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012 March 13, 20:16:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TRUFAX:  MATY used to be overrun with idiot glompers.  It was a Dark Time.  We do not like to speak of it.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012 March 13, 21:54:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to take umbrage with the OP. This forum isn't a hostile play environment, it's an openly hostile forum.

Now the game, that I'll agree, is a hostile play environment at times. Particularly the constant borkage due to patches & the persistent sound issues. Those definitely make for a hostile play environment.

But the forum?

I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't play on the forum. I mostly read for mod updates & whargarble about patches, eps & sps. Occassionally I make a mod request or error report and even more occassionally I get sporked. But that's what we do here. That is, when we're not playing sims.
I object to FloopyBoo's statement on the grounds that I wanted to be the one that made it. *sulk*

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
wyndsong
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012 March 15, 03:03:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone seen my parachute?  Never mind, I'll jump without one ...
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012 March 15, 03:29:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I are disappoint. According to the title of the thread, I expected "my brother ruined my game" wank. Instead, I got "so mean" wank.

Please correctly advertise your wank in the future. Thank you.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012 March 15, 13:05:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it's really disappointing. I keep thinking this is a thread about playing sims half way up Mount Everest, or on the front line, or in a tank of sharks. Perhaps the thread should be re-railed in this direction.

I think my most hostile game environment was probably trying to play Mario Kart whilst a team of hyenas gathered mere feet away, to settle in for a night of "Let's freak the woozel out". True, there was a fence between us, but the stares put me off my laptime.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012 March 15, 21:23:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...but the stares put me off my laptime.

You may wish to rephrase.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2012 March 15, 21:44:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, it's really disappointing. I keep thinking this is a thread about playing sims half way up Mount Everest, or on the front line, or in a tank of sharks. Perhaps the thread should be re-railed in this direction.

I think my most hostile game environment was probably trying to play Mario Kart whilst a team of hyenas gathered mere feet away, to settle in for a night of "Let's freak the woozel out". True, there was a fence between us, but the stares put me off my laptime.
I hope it was Double Dash. That is the only acceptable Mario Kart as far as I'm concerned.

soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012 March 15, 21:55:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hope it was Double Dash. That is the only acceptable Mario Kart as far as I'm concerned.

Well, I was in a campsite in the middle of the wilderness, so there was not so much of the console games going on. Mario Kart DS all the way.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: