More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 19, 09:15:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6510 Members
Latest Member: TGTams
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Request for Custom "No Cut-Away" Wall Style
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Request for Custom "No Cut-Away" Wall Style  (Read 8354 times)
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Request for Custom "No Cut-Away" Wall Style
« on: 2010 November 02, 04:13:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to create a non-default custom wall that doesn't cut-away. I would be forever grateful.

I looked at the information here... http://linna.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:0x9151E6BC#Partition_Types and there is a flag for enable/disable "MayCutAway" and I'm hoping that its as simple as cloning the wall piece and changing that flag. I know nothing about modding in Sims 3, so I don't know if this is possible or even simple to do.
OmegaStarr
Dimwitted Dunce

I had a psychic once. It was incredible

View Profile
Re: Request for Custom "No Cut-Away" Wall Style
« Reply #1 on: 2010 November 02, 04:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not just use the walls always up option? Also there's no such thing as a non-default wall. The closest thing to what your are asking for would be a decorative item that looks like a wall section.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010 November 02, 04:29:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to admit, this would be pretty amazing. You could make the non-external walls always stay up, and as long as every room had external walls, you could always see every room no problem- but each room would also have walls that didn't cut away. It would look a lot better.

Why not just use the walls always up option? Also there's no such thing as a non-default wall.

Walls always up makes it hard to see. I imagine they want this to let certain walls, that don't get in the way, stay up. And fences can be non-default, so making it as a fence might work. Though making them look the same wallpaper-wise would be limited since you can only CAST fences, not wallpaper them.
Cerridwen
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 November 02, 04:54:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now that there are half wall options could it be done as a "halfwall" but make the mesh (cloned from a half wall) almost full wall height?  But it would appear under the half wall catagory?

I don't create CC either so I don't know but it's a thought.
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 November 02, 04:57:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not just use the walls always up option? Also there's no such thing as a non-default wall. The closest thing to what your are asking for would be a decorative item that looks like a wall section.

Non-default meaning it doesn't replace the existing wall section already in game. It would appear in the build catalog as a new second wall piece option.  As Claeric says,  with the walls always up, 90% of the time you can't really see what's happening unless the rooms are very big, or you tilt the camera alot.  In Sims 2 I used it all the time on small wall sections that were out of the way and wouldn't block the view.  For me it makes the house look more like a house if you can have more walls showing but at the same time not completely block the view.

This was already done for Sims 2. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=59793  ID #95: NUMENOR - "No - Cut Away" wall (attached to this post)

I'm hoping something like this can also be done for Sims 3.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 November 02, 05:22:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There were already cc halfwalls before the latest patch/ep. Those were in fences. It should be easy to use those as a start and just extend the mesh up, toggle the option, and there you go. It's not something I personally have any interest in having (I play with walls down and only have walls up if I'm taking photos), but there's no reason it shouldn't be possible.

Of course, the worry you always have with it is if they finally add weather, any custom full walls used as externals would probably not register as keeping the inside weatherproof.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010 November 02, 05:38:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt anyone would use non-cutaway walls externally, since when you have cutaway walls turned on it's the external ones that stay up. That'd be a rare issue, I'd think.
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 November 02, 06:15:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There were already cc halfwalls before the latest patch/ep. Those were in fences. It should be easy to use those as a start and just extend the mesh up, toggle the option, and there you go. It's not something I personally have any interest in having (I play with walls down and only have walls up if I'm taking photos), but there's no reason it shouldn't be possible.

Of course, the worry you always have with it is if they finally add weather, any custom full walls used as externals would probably not register as keeping the inside weatherproof.

I've taken a look at how it was done in Sims 2 and it's actually just a script/resource file that defined a new wall ID/type.  There was a package file that had a text list with the description you would see in the catalog.  A txt file was placed in The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts\Scriptorium_Walls-Fences-Arches\ 

This is the text that was in the txt file for the "No-CutAway" walls.

# *Custom* No-CutAway walls

catalogTextResource 95_NoCutAwayWall 129

wall 95
defaultPattern "blank"
wallThickness standard
mayChangeSurface true
mayAttachObjects true
mayCutAway false
requiresFlatBottom true
requiresFlatTop true
submersible false
deleteTool partition
thumbnailResource 0 0x499db772 0xC9090520
thumbnailResource 1 0x499db772 0xe9261347
thumbnailResource 2 0x499db772 0xfeed5515
thumbnailResource 3 0x499db772 0xfeed5510
catalogTextIndices 0 1 2 3

If I understand this correctly, it actually wasn't a new "Wall/Object". It was simply creating a new wall id (#95) and then changing the properties on that id #.  It is still a normal wall so would block weather, light etc. That all seems to be defined in the properties of the wall for Sims 3.

And even if it doesn't block weather in the future there really would be no reason to use it externally. As was mentioned, the cutaway view already shows external walls.  Its the internal walls that I would like to see more of.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2010 November 02, 10:29:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What expert knowledge leads you to make this claim?  I don't recognise your name.  Apologies if you are (e.g.) Wes or Twallan with a different username.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Msfoe
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 February 17, 16:04:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Has anyone had any luck since?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: