More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 05:27:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  The Sims 2 Vs. The Sims 3
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Sims 2 Vs. The Sims 3  (Read 59593 times)
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
The Sims 2 Vs. The Sims 3
« on: 2012 January 29, 10:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is the current verdict about which game is better, after TS3 has finally amassed several expansion packs?

I currently need to reinstall, and would like to know whether going for TS2 and all its expansions (never played Apartment Life) or TS3 and all its expansions, would be the best choice.

Sorry, I think you can still hold it a bit more...
M.M.A.A.
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: The Sims 2 Vs. The Sims 3
« Reply #1 on: 2012 January 29, 11:45:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(never played Apartment Life)

if you are saying that youll try it for the first time, then i suggest that you do because it adds alot of different aspects to the game. even you dont have it, then id still recommend sims 2  Tongue Grin
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012 January 29, 12:38:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh FFS, it depends on what sort of game you like to play.

If you are saying that you'll try it for the first time, then I suggest that you do because it adds a lot of different aspects to the game. Even you don't have it, then I'd still recommend sims 2.

Which tells the OP precisely nothing except your own preference. You write worse than an ESL. I hope like fuck English is not your first language, because if it is, you are a moron.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012 January 29, 14:14:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What is the current verdict about which game is better, after TS3 has finally amassed several expansion packs?
Sims 3 is better as a "game", Sims 2 remains better as a story tool. If you tend to play one fambly in a quasi-Legacy manner, and pay little attention to the "outside world", then Sims 3 is more tailored for this out of the box. If you want to control a small number of famblies on a somewhat more macro-level than worrying about the tiny minutiae, and would like the rest of the neighborhood to do its thing, Sims3 + AwesomeMod works well for this. If you are an absolute fascist and want absolutely nothing to even so much as move without your approval, though, stick with TS2. While AwesomeMod makes it practical to play multiple famblies simultaneously without completely losing control of the entire system, they won't completely freeze in place and do absolutely nothing while you're elsewhere, either. As a player, you can be a lot more fascist about stuff in TS2.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
icantbebothered
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 January 29, 15:16:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I actually have all 3 Sims games on my computer and takes turns at playing them.  My favourite game of all time is Sims 1 Makin' Magic.  I love the weather in Sims 2 but at the moment in Sims 3 have no particular favourite.
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 January 31, 07:28:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gracias mi Presidente, what I do is shuffle-rotating all the families in the game (with a hack so that, say, people in Veronaville can interact with people in Pleasant View, or elsewhere), while I insert new families now and then, so it's evident to the fascist in me that The Sims 2 is the only option for this (I play it because it's a toy and not a game, anyway).

----
End post.

PS - That makes me happy since I already have all the ISOs ready with the exception of AL while I have nothing TS3 related, and I won't have to worry about the puddings' look.

Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 January 31, 07:30:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TBH, puddings now look substantially better than TS2 sims.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012 January 31, 08:15:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TBH, puddings now look substantially better than TS2 sims.

Hmmm... *goes to check at Google Images*

I still like TS2 sims better (after applying mesh replacements, eye replacements, etc., of course.) What's up with that expression on their face? It's as if they ate spoiled food but don't want to hurt the cook's feelings so they fake a smile.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012 January 31, 08:19:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Google images shows stock Pudding with stock content. When CC is applied, the distinction sort of vanishes. And it's not as if TS2 sims didn't make their own share of really stupid expressions.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012 January 31, 09:18:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to agree with the FOJ. I like the Sims 3 better. It is the future IMHO.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012 January 31, 13:56:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims 3 is animated much more fluidly.  Whenever Sims 2 sims make faces, it looks like someone working the parts on a ventriloquist's dummy, and they mug and grimace ALL.  THE.  TIME.  The "first woohoo" cutscene is enough to give you nightmares for life.  Go over to MTS and look at the custom sims people have uploaded.  TS3 Sims look so much better now than TS2.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012 January 31, 14:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to disagree with "animated fluidly". In TS2, sims running from point A to point B smoothly ran from point A to point B, up the stairs, down the stairs, through doors, around corners, etc. In TS3, they run with this kind of odd waddle like they've just shit their pants and are trying not to smear it around too much, and they pass through stairs and doorways often in this kind of odd stop-start jerkiness. Social animations are decidely standoffish and stiff, with noticeable pauses for no apparent reason, as if they were the acting version of William Shatner's speaking. All in all, animation is not one of the improvements TS3 exhibits over TS2. They LOOK better, yes. But they do not move better.

Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012 January 31, 18:58:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims in TS3 handle like large battlecruisers.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012 January 31, 20:31:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I meant facial animations, Pescado.  TS2 sims' faces have much more visible distortion of the features.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012 February 01, 08:28:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you enjoy games that crash a lot for no apparent reason then TS3 is for you.  Playing this game is like holding a bottle of nitroglycerine while in the middle of a large crowd.  Eventually someone is going to bump into you.  And no one will be happy with the results.

Also, TS2 runs about a million times better and faster.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012 February 01, 08:59:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can't help but notice the crashing is a problem which primarily afflicts people who are not me.

Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012 February 01, 10:56:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

TS3 runs OK if you have a good computer and plenty of RAM.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012 February 01, 13:42:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've not had TS3 crash in a very, very long time.

Dark Trepie
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012 February 01, 17:23:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does "Yew need moar RAMZ" apply when you already have seven gigs of it?  How much more do I need?
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012 February 01, 21:53:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you've already got 7 GB, you don't need any more.

keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012 February 02, 06:17:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was playing Sims 3 on a laptop. I had slow game play and random crashes. Now that I have a shiny new computer, the game runs beautifully (I didn't know the water actually MOVED!) without a single crash.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012 February 02, 22:10:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The crashing happens on x64 machines with lots of RAM. It's easily solved by making an exception for the game in the DEP. I play on a laptop and haven't had any problem with TS3. Though TS2 has never crashed, it does make my fan run constantly. And the differences are subjective. I don't like TS3 very much. I prefer the quirkiness of TS2, but the lack of open neighborhood sucks. I tend to switch back and forth often.
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012 February 03, 14:50:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to agree with the FOJ. I like the Sims 3 better. It is the future IMHO.

Do you think that in the future someone will do something so that TS3 allows players to have the same level of control on families that TS2 has? (So that, say, I can rotate all the families in the game and introduce a new family per week without the game deciding I can't haz my fascism.)

Because otherwise it seems I'll be stuck with TS2 for a long while or forever (if TS4 and others just go downhill in this regard).

(Not that it's a big issue, considering sticking with old versions of software because the new versions don't satisfy my needs is more the norm than the exception around here.)

Neowulf
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012 February 03, 20:34:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it's possible to have both the open neighbourhood of TS3 with the control of TS2. It is somewhat doable to cycle through a few famblies, but while you're watching one, all the others are doing their own thing in real time. Awesomemod allows more control, but does not replicate the isolation of one family at a time that TS2 has. You should try it out at least, though, and see if you can manage. If it's not good enough, don't play it.

Flowing with the go.
FireFliesBurn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012 February 03, 21:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a Sims 3 girl all the way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing Sims 3, but for me the all around game play of Sims 2 is much better. I'm able to truly play the way I want to play with my many families. Is there a way that you can install both games on your computer? Then you'll be able to play in rotation of both games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: