More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 12:22:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  Dobbin's Delight, a residence. Does not contain horse whisperer secrets.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dobbin's Delight, a residence. Does not contain horse whisperer secrets.  (Read 15293 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Dobbin's Delight, a residence. Does not contain horse whisperer secrets.
« on: 2011 November 13, 08:56:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dobbin's Delight is a residential home on a 50x50 lot. I built it on one of the free sections near the horseshoe road in Appaloosa Plains. Map to follow. The main house is 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. Somehow I ended up with a yellow/red/white/black decorating scheme this time.The barn in the corner of the property has a loft section with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom for the stablehands. There is a home paddock for the horses and another paddock for jumping/racing. The family have not been neglected, they have a hot tub, vegetable garden and firepit in their own garden. §135,990 wanded. Oh and the stayaway gnomes are all under a tree by the front door.

I use Moryrie's packages and Jezzer's sims3pack counters.

One thing I forgot to do is customise the lights to get rid of the white bloom. I usually pick a creamier colour and put in custom R/G/B values to soften the effect a bit.

Who's your daddy?

Download

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
Re: Dobbin's Delight, a residence. Does not contain horse whisperer secrets.
« Reply #1 on: 2011 November 13, 14:32:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Zetatard is going to be very disappoint when he downloads it and finds out "Dobbin's Delight" is a house.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 November 13, 17:10:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice job!

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Telcara
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 November 13, 17:26:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing I forgot to do is customise the lights to get rid of the white bloom. I usually pick a creamier colour and put in custom R/G/B values to soften the effect a bit.

Could you please explain/share that bit?

I couldn't help but to giggle that the sims in your house have the same tiles in the bathrooms as in the kitchen. My first question(s) if I saw that irl would be 'Did you buy too many tiles?'/'Were they on sale?'. Apart from that; I like the layout, much room but not too empty.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 November 13, 21:39:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can click on lights and set a custom colour. So instead of leaving the default bright white colour, I go into the design mode and pick a slightly yellow/cream colour and using the tabs at the bottom of the colour select section, I write down the Red/Green/Blue values. It's a pity the lights won't take the hex number, but there you go. Anyway, you can then click on any light and set a custom colour. I THINK you can do it to all lights, or room by room as well. I don't know how to do it in build mode, I can only do it when sims are in the house. This gives you a softer light, not so bright white, and helps kill the godawful bloom effect of white walls or benches or whatever.

As to space, I try to give sims a lot of routing room. I loathe many of the EAxis houses as they have routing bottlenecks left, right and centre.

The tiles are all the same on the floors of the rooms with plumbing, but the walls are different between the bathrooms and the kitchen. There were so many patterns and colours at that point I didn't want to introduce any more.

Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2011 November 13, 22:03:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ctrl+shift+click works for changing them in build mode. I do something similar, only instead of changing the color, I change the intensity to dim.

"Of two evils, choose the prettier."
Bugger
Lipless Loser

off on another strange Bugger tangent...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 November 13, 23:38:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I couldn't help but to giggle that the sims in your house have the same tiles in the bathrooms as in the kitchen. My first question(s) if I saw that irl would be 'Did you buy too many tiles?'/'Were they on sale?'.

Can I ask where you are from?  I have not seen many places that have different tiles throughout the house and wonder where that would be a common thing.

<Dark_Trepie> Booty's go OHHH!. Pirate Booty's go ARRR!
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 November 14, 04:37:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I did not know this was a "thing". Some of our properties (past and present) have (had) the same tiles in kitchens and baths and some do not / have not. It never occurred to me that having the same tiles in both places might be a bad thing, if they are neutral tiles.

I suppose some of those nasty fake brick-looking lino tiles for kitchens would look assy in a bathroom, but most neutral tiles I have seen IRL are well-suited to either room.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 November 14, 07:05:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*cough* Lino *cough* is often the same in both bathroom and kitchen in many of the places I've lived. My homes generally don't stretch to tiles.

Telcara
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 November 14, 16:04:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to live in Sweden, having the same tiles in the bathroom and kitchen would be a no-no. Norm is white tiles (usually linoleum on the floor) in bathrooms and something else in the kitchen. Some kitchens only have tiles behind the sink area, like my mom's - the tiles are actually white but there's so few you don't think 'bathroom' when you see them. I never really thought of the tiles stuff but as much as I recall, I haven't come across a kitchen and bathroom with the same floor and/or complete wall tiles during the 14 years I lived there. I have probably come across linoleum being the same all through a house, usually older and not recently renovated. Eh, I think people are quite conscious about their houses and put a lot of thought when renovating. A friend of mine would probably rather die than have the same tiles in her two bathrooms.

Thanks, I'll try the magic light thing. 
Annan
Swedish Pudding Chef
Senator

INTP/J: Bork!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2011 November 14, 16:22:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to live in Sweden, having the same tiles in the bathroom and kitchen would be a no-no. Norm is white tiles (usually linoleum on the floor) in bathrooms and something else in the kitchen. Some kitchens only have tiles behind the sink area, like my mom's - the tiles are actually white but there's so few you don't think 'bathroom' when you see them. I never really thought of the tiles stuff but as much as I recall, I haven't come across a kitchen and bathroom with the same floor and/or complete wall tiles during the 14 years I lived there. I have probably come across linoleum being the same all through a house, usually older and not recently renovated. Eh, I think people are quite conscious about their houses and put a lot of thought when renovating. A friend of mine would probably rather die than have the same tiles in her two bathrooms.

Thanks, I'll try the magic light thing. 

I don't think I've ever even seen a kitchen here with tiled floors.

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 November 14, 16:46:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pfft. My mother had her lounge tiled (made for easier cleaning, as she has a long-haired dog). I thought it was odd when she told me what she was going to do but it's turned out looking lovely. What is this tile fascism?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011 November 14, 20:10:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, when I was slapping down the floor tiles in this pretend dollhouse I've built, it never ever occurred to me that the tiles would come up for discussion. It's really interesting to discover the strength of people's opinions over what should go where on a floor. I don't think we've established that there are trends by country but I'm guessing there may be accepted practices by socio-economic status.

See, if I could afford tiles in real life, I would happily buy a job lot and tile all the rooms with plumbing in the same style. This conversation has obviously saved me from a dreadful faux pas when I get rich.

Or am I wrong about the rich? Do the poor feel the same about their lino?

snapzit
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011 November 15, 14:38:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

^Don't be silly. The rich use marble.

Perfected the golf clap here.

ENTP
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 November 15, 16:36:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And people told me off for arguing about wood burning stoves!

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011 November 15, 21:48:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hell, if I'm ever rich I'm going to do what I saw on a remodling tv show - I'm going to have a cork floor in the kitchen - damn the environment and save the falling glassware.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Neowulf
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011 November 15, 23:22:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hell, if I'm ever rich I'm going to do what I saw on a remodling tv show - I'm going to have a cork floor in the kitchen - damn the environment and save the falling glassware.
Cork isn't that bad for the environment. Unless you're using the wood from the cork tree, instead of the bark. Normally the bark is stripped from the tree, keeping the tree alive.

Flowing with the go.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2011 November 16, 20:45:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The place I'm in now has one set of tiles for the bathroom, laundry and ensuite, but the main living/dining and kitchen are all tiled with the same tile - regardless of walls/doorways. This is common here where it gets hot, tiles are so much cooler to live with than carpet.

In my sim houses I'll use the same floor tiles in all the wet spaces unless I'm doing something themed.

Oh BTW witch, lovely lot!

Telcara
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011 November 18, 04:33:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh, I don't really care what the sims' floors look like. They're so easy to change (unlike real ones hehe).

Annan, I have. The magic to that is floor heating (golvvärme). Otherwise your precious feet will freeze off during winter. I'm dirt poor but had relatives who got floor heating just to have tiles. Funny you have tiles to keep cool Skadi. Unfortunately they get like twice the cold in winter which isn't as pleasant. Enough about tiles though ;P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: