More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 23, 16:40:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Workstation graphics card tweaking
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Workstation graphics card tweaking  (Read 5032 times)
genericuser
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Workstation graphics card tweaking
« on: 2011 September 10, 17:03:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I received a former corporate workstation PC and decided to see if I can get TS3 + expansions running on it, as my 8 year old desktop finally decided with LN that the games are just too newfangled and taxing on the system. I should note that the PC came to me sans hard drive, so I have a fresh Windows 7 install. 4 GB RAM and Intel dual core CPU (6700 @ 2.66GHz).

On a vanilla install of just the basegame, I'm experiencing intermittent graphics issues. Sims are often exploding into bits of triangular shrapnel, there are blue triangular rips in the ground, and when I'm in town view the whole thing flickers.

Not certain, but I have a hunch this is due to the PC's workstation graphics card. It's a Nvidia Quadro FX 3500 with up to date drivers. My Google research tells me in vague terms that the hardware of Quadro cards is essentially the same as GeForce cards; it's the drivers that are different, and the Quadros are optimized for CAD work and the like, while the GeForce drivers run games better. I can't find a definitive way to use a GeForce driver for the Quadro card, so I'm looking at making some tweaks through the Nvidia Control Panel.

Does anyone know if the graphics issues I describe above are linked to any particular features that the driver settings control? Like anti-aliasing, prerendering, refresh rate, etc? Furthermore, which settings are more likely to melt the graphics card (or am I paranoid)? Finally, is anyone else using a Quadro card and do you have any suggestions for me?
Tever
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Workstation graphics card tweaking
« Reply #1 on: 2011 September 10, 20:09:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can tell you that the Sims melting your video card is more than likely if you don't limit the frame rate. Not everyone needs to, but depending on how good the card is (I have no idea what a Quadro is like), you might want to take the precaution.
ZelRai
Corpulent Cretin

Go to Hell Starler and take this avatard with you.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 September 10, 20:21:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Put simply,  Quadro cards are not designed with fluid 3D gaming in mind.  While their hardware specs aren't much different from Ge-force cards, the on board firmware and drivers are seriously different.  

If I had to make a guess at the triangle thing, I'd say it was a lack of some piece of the actual 3D model being sent to the card.  While a Ge-force may ignore this, a Quadro is going to render the the model as accurately as possible at the cost of not yeilding speedy rendering.  Thus if pieces missing, or the game is just sending partial 3D model updates,  its going to render  a large  pile of itty-bitty polygons that just fall to the ground.
« Last Edit: 2011 September 11, 01:48:36 by ZelRai » Logged

1337 is a number not a word, even by my relaxed standards.
I am a yasha-kitsune, deal with it.
genericuser
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 September 11, 01:20:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, with FPSlimiter and lowering a couple of in-game settings to medium, I'm getting less frequent texture flickering and only the occasional triangular appendage on my sims.

So now in thinking about getting a gaming-optimized graphics card: I cannot understand the list of supported video cards in the game's system requirements info. It looks like only crappy cards are supported (based on looking at cards on Newegg--most of the cards on the "supported" list are not even sold)? Do the better GeForce cards work or do they suffer from a similar trying-too-hard effect as my Quadro?
ZelRai
Corpulent Cretin

Go to Hell Starler and take this avatard with you.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 September 11, 01:47:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally rock a Geforce GTX 295, and as long as I use the FPS limiter have had no problems.

1337 is a number not a word, even by my relaxed standards.
I am a yasha-kitsune, deal with it.
Count
PA
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 September 11, 04:53:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a more complete list of supported cards in Game\Bin\GraphicsCards.sgr.  Radeon HD 5770 runs it fine, so any comparable card should as well.
snapzit
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 September 12, 18:09:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti works fine. All settings are on high.

Perfected the golf clap here.

ENTP
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: