More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 16:10:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Laptop Recommendations?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations?  (Read 19291 times)
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
Re: Laptop Recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: 2011 September 02, 23:49:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a powerful Alienware "gaming computer" that melted, despite a water-based cooling platform and an extra fan. And by "melted", I mean playing the Sims 2 overheated it to the point that the video card slagged and its melted plastic ruined the motherboard.
MegAnne
Knuckleheaded Knob

ENTP - Provider of graveside services

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011 September 02, 23:55:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I take a laptop somewhere, it's going to be used for reading eBooks or for internet access.  I can wait until I get home to stir the Pudding.
Isn't a tablet enough for that? Why, for Jupiter's sake, would you need to drag a laptop around?

I know of a really great thing you can do to entertain yourself when away from your desktop PC. It's called a book. It was a fantastic invention in the realms of entertainment discovered many many years ago, and it has recently gone through some radical alterations. Now, not only can you carry a light weight collection of papers which contain words of education, enlightenment and entertainment, but you can also opt for technologically more advanced versions. You can carry an e-reader and have a library at your finger tips. You can opt for a library of audio books on your phone or mp3 player. You could even sell out and get an iPad.
You do not need to be permenantly attached to a computer to enjoy life.
Agreed. I travel from Florida to California almost every week, so I've an average of 4 books in my suitcase and my Kindle in my purse. What if I really, really, really want to play Sims 3?

The "this is what I have! It runs great!" posts are almost useless without specs and game setup. Game settings, CC, Expansions and Stuff Packs, plus the specs on the Laptop would probably be much more helpful, just saying. Google could supply the specs, but not the rest of that info.
OK. You can Google the Asus G73SW. I replaced the primary HDD with a 256GB SSD and I'm using a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (hybrid) as 2nd HD. I've every EP and SP.
« Last Edit: 2011 September 03, 00:06:31 by MegAnne » Logged

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011 September 03, 00:29:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got an Asus K53SV-A1, and it runs The Sims 3 at max settings at 30fps. Of course I use the fps limiter so my computer doesn't melt and use extra processing for The Sims 3.
Specs on my laptop are: i5-2410M, 6GB RAM, GeForce GT 540M. I did have to tweak the gpusetting file in the main Sims 3 folder to make it say I had a '4' for a processor instead of a 2 (I can handle the 4. It's dual core, but quad thread. Laptop runs Shogun 2 at high settings at good speed, for crying out loud!) and the laptop so far has served me well. Sims also says my GPU is a 1. It's also a 4. The GeForce isn't on the list. With a memory of '4' it's assumed the graphics chip would be a 4 as well. Game runs at max anyways so I'm good.
Roux
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011 September 03, 00:48:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

+1 to the Asus brand recommendation as a worthwhile gaming laptop. I bought the G60JX last year and as long as I use FPS limiter I have very little lag in TS3. Load time in my 4th-generation legacy world (MSR's Plum Grove) is now up to a few minutes, but once loaded it still plays well. Sometimes I see the blocky white textures when I first load a lot, but they resolve quickly and overall I'm not pounding my head against my desk from impatience.

Heat is an issue, but again, using FPS limiter and quitting after 1-2 hours and allowing the computer to rest keeps it under control. I know a laptop fan will help, but I keep forgetting to get one. I also generally use my laptop placed on a hard surface with it elevated in the back, which alleviates some of the heating issues.

All EPs and SPs installed, nearly all store content, and nearly 700MB of user CC (merged and kept under 100 files total). I play with most graphic settings on high or very high, although I limit my high detail lots to 1.

Basic computer specs (thank you, Speccy):
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.27GHz
RAM: 4.0GB @ 533MHz
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
Hard drive: 488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA)

You have your way with him, and you'll never get to destroy the world; and I don't fancy spending the next six months trying to get librarian out of the carpet.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2011 September 03, 01:20:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I take a laptop somewhere, it's going to be used for reading eBooks or for internet access.  I can wait until I get home to stir the Pudding.
Isn't a tablet enough for that? Why, for Jupiter's sake, would you need to drag a laptop around?

Because I actually own a laptop and I don't have a tablet?  For example?  And most laptops are lightweight enough that you don't have to actually drag them?  You know?

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011 September 03, 01:40:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or, there are also tablets that are basically laptops. We have a Motion Computing LE1700 that is pretty awesome for reading or watching anything you want, it runs windows. It also runs GuildWars very well although sims 3 would probably be a bad idea. We bought ours for $255US because someone dropped it and cracked the glass. Replacing the glass is nothing. Personally I'd rather have that then a Ipad or Kindle and I'd consider it more worth it to "lug around" then something that gives me restrictions on the files it wants to open, making me pay for programs to do so, or making it a pain in the ass. Also why I'd prefer a laptop for the same, although my Droid does a fair job atm.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
MegAnne
Knuckleheaded Knob

ENTP - Provider of graveside services

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011 September 03, 03:51:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I don't feel that I've any restriction when using the Kindle. My library is on epub format so I convert to mobi with Calibre. The Kindle reads all those and is the only device I know that is "kind" to my eyes.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011 September 03, 10:05:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "this is what I have! It runs great!" posts are almost useless without specs and game setup. Game settings, CC, Expansions and Stuff Packs, plus the specs on the Laptop would probably be much more helpful, just saying. Google could supply the specs, but not the rest of that info.

Yep, this is very true. I didn't provide specs though because I was referring to a five year old laptop and an outdated game. My point wasn't so much, "get what I've got!", more "it's not beyond the realm of possibility to play Sims on a laptop".

Also, Madame Mim, way to be patronising. Yeah, of course there's more to life than computers. Just because you own a laptop doesn't mean you're surgically attached to it. What about students? People who travel for work and need to do work on trains and planes? People who don't have a TV or any practical space for a desktop (eg people flat-sharing in small flats). There are myriad reasons why someone might prefer a laptop over a desktop.

And as for tablets, I have one of those too. It's great for short journeys where you want something to distract you whilst travelling. However, the iPad (yes, of course there are others, but it is the market leader) has its limitations, especially if you're going to be away from a computer for a long time. Also, it strikes me that once you factor in the need for a separate keyboard if you want to do more than just some light typing, you might as well be carrying a lightweight netbook.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
snapzit
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011 September 03, 16:20:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think she's already stoned.

Perfected the golf clap here.

ENTP
soozelwoozel
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011 September 03, 17:57:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think she's already stoned.

Hey, it's called being fashionably late, don'tcha know? Now if you'll excuse me, there's a warehouse rave in Dalston I really must attend.

Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011 September 03, 21:37:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Asus G74SX looks very nice to me, but I'm worried it may be overpowered for TS3.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011 September 03, 21:43:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason given by the OP was for the purposes of travelling with Sims, over and above having a desktop in their home already.

Don't mistake the style of my 'speech' for condescension. I'd wish for more emoticons but people mistake my meaning when I'm in the same room as them, so I don't expect more on the Internet.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011 September 03, 22:57:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While talking in #grah, I was convinced to go with a desktop as my main computer.  Now I will just need a cheap laptop (~$500) for when I'm away from home.  Any suggestions?

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2011 September 03, 23:45:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

haha I was also looking at the Asus G74SX since bestbuy has it for 1,099 and after looking at amazon and newegg that price doesn't seem to bad for this model

tho wouldn't more power be a good thing rather then bad?

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
soozelwoozel
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2011 September 04, 00:31:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

haha I was also looking at the Asus G74SX since bestbuy has it for 1,099 and after looking at amazon and newegg that price doesn't seem to bad for this model

tho wouldn't more power be a good thing rather then bad?

How difficult is it to type those three extra letters? Seriously, if you want people to help you, at least try to look as if you've spent more than a nanosecond on writing your responses.

TapThatBooty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2011 September 04, 02:58:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I realized later that I didn't give enough information on the laptop I mentioned before, so here it is  Wink

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite C660D
Processor: AMD E-350 Processor (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
Display Memory: 2983 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

It can play the game OK on high settings, but I find that it renders the textures a little bit faster with a few settings turned to medium (I think it's the Sim Detail, but I could check). The games I have installed are The Sims 3 (obviously), WA, AMB, LN, GEN and Outdoor Living Stuff.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2011 September 04, 03:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a powerful Alienware "gaming computer" that melted, despite a water-based cooling platform and an extra fan. And by "melted", I mean playing the Sims 2 overheated it to the point that the video card slagged and its melted plastic ruined the motherboard.
That is probably because the video card itself was not cooled by the same system. So your video card melted its own plastic housing, while the CPU itself was fine.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
somethingdifferent
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011 September 11, 06:35:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm running sims3 on an Aspire laptop from walmart, it's about 3 years old.  I could type up all the stuff on the lil stickers, but alot is worn off, and I'd make a lot of typos and piss people off.  I know it's windows 7, I know it runs up to generations, but I have concerns about if it'll run pets.  And I know the overheating issue is a BITCH.  If I find a decent, or even just rediculously cheap fan, I buy as many as I can, because this thing eats them.  I think it killed it's battery.  I don't know if it was the strain of the game, or the computer itself sucking.

I doubt that's been much help, but I hope it's been some help to someone. 
IAmTheRad
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011 September 12, 02:36:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I figured out that Sims 3 was actually trying to run off my integrated GPU, rather than the nVidia in my laptop. Due to this, I cannot use the 3booter (crashes TS3W.exe, but anyways, I get a rating of '5' which is considered 'uber' for Sims 3. The game runs extremely well, at whatever FPS the game wants it to run at.

Very playable, and enjoyable without much laggyness except for poorly made worlds with the routing issues and whatnot.
deroger
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2011 September 13, 05:13:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The main question is, do you want the laptop as exclusive or supplemental outfit?

Besides an i7-2600K desktop, I have a 14" Vaio CR-31S which is surely not the newest stuff around (Core2Duo T8100, 2x2.1 GHz, 3GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 w/ shared memory, OS is Win7 Home/32Bit) but Sims3 runs satisfactory with most eyecandy enabled. Startup time is a small issue however, since it only runs a 5400 rpm hard drive, but nowadays, you can get around that with a SSD disk. Sure, the screen is a tradeoff, trying to balance screen size/resolution (1280x800) vs encumbrance/mobility.
On the other hand, my Vaio is not too heavy (little more than 1 kg), fits also smaller bags/backpacks, and with the optional/add-on high-endurance battery manages >5h on low consumption or a at least a good 2-3h gaming session on high power.
Heat is only an issue with the supplied power adaptor which I like to give a few minutes to cool down before re-packing it after playing for some hours.

Since I re-package my ~2 GB's of downloads at least once a month, gameflow has no serious stutters or else. Just to remind you, having hundreds of small packages will seriously hurt gameplay on even a high-end i7 machine.

I do not try to suggest that my Vaio can live up to the performance a full-grown i5 or i7, especially desktop versions. But I use it more than my high-end rig, and in my expereince, it's not too shabby.

Just my 2cents
Seqkat
Senator

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011 September 15, 10:48:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

+1 to the Asus brand recommendation as a worthwhile gaming laptop. I bought the G60JX last year and as long as I use FPS limiter I have very little lag in TS3. Load time in my 4th-generation legacy world (MSR's Plum Grove) is now up to a few minutes, but once loaded it still plays well. Sometimes I see the blocky white textures when I first load a lot, but they resolve quickly and overall I'm not pounding my head against my desk from impatience.

I'd also say that ASUS have some very decent gaming laptops - I am not on one anymore, but had a G1 when they came out which performed extremely nicely, and have tested out a couple of the more recent models which are equally good in terms of performance (relative to time of release, of course). Some of them do get a little hot, but those laptop coolers can work brilliantly, and it's not a universal problem - maybe just check reviews etc. to look out for which ones get hottest.

These days I am on a 'desktop replacement' rather than straight laptop - because I live in two places at once I can't really get a desktop, but I've found that it performs well. It's the acer Aspire 8930, Nvidia 9600M GT, 4 gigs RAM, Core2Duo. I mention it not as a recommendation (because it's old, and pretty outdated these days) but more to say as a useful baseline that it runs the Sims 3 with all expansion packs fine - I am on highest graphic settings most of the time and get no lag in gameplay, although I have to try and keep CC down. So really you shouldn't have a problem finding something fairly cheap which is far better than this setup and should be able to play the Sims 3 nicely.

Lisen
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011 September 15, 20:14:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a good desktop PC at home but also a 3-4 years old laptop when travelling and I have Sims 3 with all EP's and SP's and alot of CC. I play alot with good quality and not too bad lagging.
It's a HP Pavilion dv9500 Notebook PC with Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo CPU 2.20 GHz, 4 GB, Visra, 32 bit
I always use a cooling plate and the CPU temperatures is 45-50°C when playing Sims.

So, you can play Sims on a laptop!
dragonic
Blathering Buffoon

Lurker extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2011 September 15, 20:26:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, you can play Sims on a laptop!

No one said that you can't play games on a laptop. It's just generally unwieldy.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: