More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:44:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Laptop Recommendations?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations?  (Read 19288 times)
knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
Laptop Recommendations?
« on: 2011 September 01, 00:20:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i was wondering if anyone had any input about any laptops that will play sims 3 really good an still be good for everyday use?

To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
Re: Laptop Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 2011 September 01, 00:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wondering if anyone had any input about any laptops that will play sims 3 really well and still be good for everyday use?

Apparently, Sony Vaios are very good.  I'm looking into a Vaio F-series laptop now, in case my laptop explodes (which is looking increasingly likely).  I'm not linking to it, as Pescado might consider it shilling.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 September 01, 01:01:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get a desktop instead.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 September 01, 01:21:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Get a desktop instead.
I imagine that if the OP had wanted a desktop, it would not have asked for laptop recommendations.  There are certainly legitimate reasons to have a laptop, and there are laptops quite capable of running TS3.

knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2011 September 01, 01:23:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i have a desktop but if/when I'm going somewhere for a while its not like i can easily bring it along  Cheesy

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
unknownlUser
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 September 01, 16:44:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You'll be gaming when you get to this "somewhere"? If not, won't a tablet be better suited?
Most laptops that can play games well are heavy, desktop replacements - you'd be OK carrying a 17" 6-8lbs weight around? Anything smaller won't handle heat so well, nor have good graphics on a smaller 15" screen.
« Last Edit: 2011 September 02, 07:09:29 by unknownlUser » Logged
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 September 02, 00:07:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good luck finding a laptop that can handle TS3 for more than a few minutes at a time without reaching temperatures dangerous to both laptop and lap.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 September 02, 00:27:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A good laptop cooler should keep temperatures reasonably low.

MegAnne
Knuckleheaded Knob

ENTP - Provider of graveside services

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 September 02, 01:15:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Good luck finding a laptop that can handle TS3 for more than a few minutes at a time without reaching temperatures dangerous to both laptop and lap.
I have an ASUS G73SW, Republic of Gamers. So far, TS3 does not cause temperature problems. I'm grateful: when I'm traveling, I do not want to add a cooler to its 8 pounds.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -- Robert A. Heinlein
jsader
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 September 02, 02:21:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an Asus N61J laptop, and it's run Sims 3 for over a year and half just fine. I have every ep and most of the sp's.  The game rarely runs slow, other than the usual glitches that are caused by EA.
unknownlUser
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 September 02, 07:08:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<cut> If not, won't a table be better suited? <cut>
A good laptop cooler should keep temperatures reasonably low.

Cheesy With my typo and jeebus's recommendation, you might as well be carrying a table, after all!
dragonic
Blathering Buffoon

Lurker extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 September 02, 13:01:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you looked at the Alienware gaming laptops?
Sure they're heavier than a box of bricks but gaming performance is like none other.

And if you're a Mac person, MacBooks can run Sims 3 as well.
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011 September 02, 14:27:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if you're a Mac person, MacBooks can run Sims 3 as well.
This is true, but you'll also acquire some fabulous third-degree lap burns.

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
knightguy
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2011 September 02, 15:19:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've looked into Alienware an they do indeed seem to be a great computer but if I can find a similar laptop that doesn't have such heavy price

and I know gaming laptops are bulky but I rather carry that then lug around a desktop  Cheesy

Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 September 02, 16:44:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've looked into Alienware an they do indeed seem to be a great computer but if I can find a similar laptop that doesn't have such heavy price
No, never get an Alienware laptop.  They're overpriced pieces of crap.  Also, a Dell by any other word is still a Dell.

sarsbar
Blathering Buffoon

Her friends, the wolves, stripped him naked.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011 September 02, 18:34:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anything's better than HP, though.  I can't think of a single HP laptop that my family's owned that hasn't wound up with a blacked-out screen, a cooling system that nearly bursts into flames, or a power plug that starts sparking and smoking (and yet my father insists on continuing to buy them).  Fuck HP, they should just stick to printers.

AND IN CASE IT IS NOT ALREADY CLEAR, knightguy, I am talking to you first and foremost.  Do not give them your money for a laptop, it will only end in tears and scorched carpeting!

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
The reasonable man adapts himself to fit his environment, therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
dragonic
Blathering Buffoon

Lurker extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011 September 02, 18:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I'll say this.
Laptops were never meant for gaming. Their purpose was to be portable. The so-called "gaming laptops" are the ones that overheat and explode.
O, and did I mention it's like carrying around a box of bricks?
sarsbar
Blathering Buffoon

Her friends, the wolves, stripped him naked.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011 September 02, 19:07:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's been said already that he should get a desktop, but if it's an exploding box of bricks he wants, then hey.

Quote from: J. M. Pescado
The reasonable man adapts himself to fit his environment, therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011 September 02, 21:36:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If I take a laptop somewhere, it's going to be used for reading eBooks or for internet access.  I can wait until I get home to stir the Pudding.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
TapThatBooty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011 September 02, 22:08:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The HP Satellite C660/C660D is a good one. I have that one and it is able to play it really well and it doesn't overheat. It loads quite quickly and while it can play the game really well on medium to high settings.
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011 September 02, 22:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, you know what, this laptop hate is ridonkulous. Yes, of course, a desktop is far superior when it comes to playing games, as you can get a much better rig for much less money and less chance of burnination. But that doesn't mean you CAN'T play The Sims on a laptop, it's just not optimum. There are plenty of reasons why people use laptops and not desktops. It's just so boring to always hear the same histrionic refrain of "GET A DESKTOP". Clearly knightguy wants a laptop over a desktop FOR A REASON.

I have never simmed on a desktop. I used to play TS2 on this hulking beast of an HP, which did have overheating problems, but this was rectified by a cheap fan. It handled everything pretty well but took eons to load the game. Course, this isn't much help for knightguy, as this was a couple of years ago now. Now I play on a macbook, and whilst the game is definitely far from optimum, its lag is not so bad that it makes me stop playing. Yeah, it would be better to play on a Windows desktop, but I'm not going to be replacing my mac anytime soon for the sake of a single game.

So yeah, if I can play pudding on a 2 year old macbook pro, then there's definitely a laptop out there knightguy can use to play a decent game of Sims.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011 September 02, 22:23:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "this is what I have! It runs great!" posts are almost useless without specs and game setup. Game settings, CC, Expansions and Stuff Packs, plus the specs on the Laptop would probably be much more helpful, just saying. Google could supply the specs, but not the rest of that info.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011 September 02, 23:11:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know of a really great thing you can do to entertain yourself when away from your desktop PC. It's called a book. It was a fantastic invention in the realms of entertainment discovered many many years ago, and it has recently gone through some radical alterations. Now, not only can you carry a light weight collection of papers which contain words of education, enlightenment and entertainment, but you can also opt for technologically more advanced versions. You can carry an e-reader and have a library at your finger tips. You can opt for a library of audio books on your phone or mp3 player. You could even sell out and get an iPad.

You do not need to be permenantly attached to a computer to enjoy life.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011 September 02, 23:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "this is what I have! It runs great!" posts are almost useless without specs and game setup. Game settings, CC, Expansions and Stuff Packs, plus the specs on the Laptop would probably be much more helpful, just saying. Google could supply the specs, but not the rest of that info.
My current lappy is a Dell (a mistake, I know) that does have heating issues--it can reach temperatures above 70 Celsius when under stress--but does manage to play TS3 well.  

Specs:
Windoze 7 64-bit
i7 Q820M @ 1.73 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
8 GB RAM
500 GB HDD

It's a lumbering 17" dinosaur, but it can play TS3 quite well on high settings.  Because of the damage I've managed to do to it in the year and a half I've had it, I'm already planning on getting a new laptop.  I'm looking at a 16" Vaio F-series laptop with these specs:

Windoze 7 64-bit
i7-2720QM @ 2.2 GHz
Nvidia Geforce 540M
8 GB RAM
640 GB HDD

ETA:
http://You do not need to be permenantly attached to a computer to enjoy life.
Of course you do!  What kind of sick person are you?

jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011 September 02, 23:36:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You do not need to be permenantly attached to a computer to enjoy life.

HERETIC!  Should we stone her?  I think we should stone her.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: