More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:52:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  who's playing this game?
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: who's playing this game?  (Read 102765 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: who's playing this game?
« Reply #100 on: 2005 August 05, 22:55:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but people who are suicidal apparently want to be comforted, told it's not so bad, etc., etc.. I don't do that shit. You wanna commit suicide, I'm gonna be there egging you on, holding a betting pool on your splatter radius when you hit the ground.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: 2005 August 05, 23:17:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Contemplating suicide is not the same as actually going through with it.  Whole different ball park.

Sometimes life will really wear you down and you'll think to yourself, 'I give up.'  It's not a bad thing to admit failure, because you can start to figure out where to go from there, to find coping strategies and make life liveable.  And The Sims 2 can be used as a tool to realise that it isn't all hopeless, that you can make a difference to those around you.  And since a Sim life is much shorter than ours, you can try lots of different things.

Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: 2005 August 05, 23:34:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You wanna commit suicide, I'm gonna be there egging you on, holding a betting pool on your splatter radius when you hit the ground.

I hear an overdose of antidepresssants is the way to go these days.  Call it an ironic last stab at those who prescribed them in the first place.  Atually, someone I knew took this way out, after fighting depression for most of her life.  It's tragic to clock out at just twenty-eight, but hey, that's life.

Life stinks, I might add Tongue

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2005 August 06, 00:10:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Life stinks, I might add Tongue
There ain't no other options! Life is life, death is death, pretty binary really. The deciding factor, of course, is you can't play the sims when you're dead. Wink

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2005 August 06, 09:59:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hear an overdose of antidepresssants is the way to go these days.  Call it an ironic last stab at those who prescribed them in the first place.  Atually, someone I knew took this way out, after fighting depression for most of her life.  It's tragic to clock out at just twenty-eight, but hey, that's life.
Oh, now that's just boring. I liked it back when jumping was the preferred method of suicide. I actually encountered a jumper once. There were 3 people not entirely successfully trying to talk her out of it. Naturally, I did the natural thing: I pulled out a bullhorn and proceeded to drown out the others by taunting and heckling her. Sadly, this didn't produce the desired effect, and she chickened out. Somehow, I managed to end up being credited with talking her out of it. How annoying.

There ain't no other options! Life is life, death is death, pretty binary really. The deciding factor, of course, is you can't play the sims when you're dead. Wink
Actually, it's not even very binary. Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate. No matter what you do, you're going to die anyway. It's more like base-1: There's only one digit, 0.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2005 August 06, 15:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gender fluidity? What in blazes is that? It's either something really weird, or you need to read a bit more modern SF.

It's exactly what it sounds like - gender is not a fixed state (like sex more or less is), but a fluid one. I haven't seen many genre books tackle this concept. If you have, I'd be delighted if you'd point me in the direction of some - I have more books than I can read right now due to the six hours of Finnish class I have most days, but that's never stopped me from cheerfully acquiring new ones. I'll read them all eventually.  Grin

Hmm. Well, I can't think of many specific books, but I know that there are a significant portion of SF literature that deals with societies in which gender changes are fairly common. Sounds like what you're talking about is a more specific (and interesting, honestly) subset of that. I'll look into it, but it sounds rather more unusual than the stuff I was specifically thinking about. Quite intriguing, too.

Do you love your daughter? I guess not. Otherwise you wouldn't be contemplating abandoning her like that. I have no sympathy for those seeking attention on a message board, or seeking to burden their child with greif and loss for the rest of their young lives.
Get therapy if you are serious, or go to a support board. Going to a sims board with this tells me you are not looking for help, but rather trying to stir the pot or get attention.

Sara, that's a little hostile. I can see your point, but I'm just not comfortable with using that kind of tone towards someone who could even potentially be actually suicidal. I've been there, it's not fun, and being told that your feelings are stupid isn't much fun either.

Humour, on the other hand--I can't tell if JMP is being actually serious, or whether he has the opposite meaning, since I would guess that his approach'd be more effective at discouraging suicide than the "oh, it's not really so bad" tack. Ah, irony.

Life may suck, but it sure is damn funny.
Marvin Kosh
Feckless Fool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: 2005 August 06, 15:50:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sure is, just that sometimes it takes a while to figure out the punchline.  Assuming there is one.  Assuming sense of humour still intact.  I remember more than a few dark days when nothing would draw a smile.  Since then, I discovered webcomics, and concepts like the Idiot of the Day.  Plus, I make sure to get a regular dosage of SG-1.  So the old laughter muscles get a regular workout these days  Cheesy

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2005 August 06, 15:55:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Life is all about finding the punchline.

Say, that would make a good motto.
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2005 August 06, 16:11:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

Gawud, JM!  I glad you started this BBS!  That is the most profound expression of philosophy I've read this year!

« Last Edit: 2005 August 06, 16:21:05 by SimsHost » Logged
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2005 August 06, 17:45:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sara, that's a little hostile. I can see your point, but I'm just not comfortable with using that kind of tone towards someone who could even potentially be actually suicidal. I've been there, it's not fun, and being told that your feelings are stupid isn't much fun either.

Humour, on the other hand--I can't tell if JMP is being actually serious, or whether he has the opposite meaning, since I would guess that his approach'd be more effective at discouraging suicide than the "oh, it's not really so bad" tack. Ah, irony.

I've been there too. Now days, who hasn't? I never said her feelings were stupid. I implied she might simply be looing for attention, which happens frequently online. This is not a depression support board. This is not an appropriate place to air her feelings.
And what I said about her kid is the truth. If she is a mom, she should be a mom. Being a mom means bucking it up, and being strong so that your kid has a better life. I'm not saying that from some kind of theory about life. I'm saying it from personal experience. It's the truth, flat out. If you love a kid, you buck it up, get help, and keep on living.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

SL Diva or TS2 Drama Queen? Uh...both!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2005 August 06, 22:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My personal experience is the longer you live the less you really know.  I've learned to assume nothing.

I read somewhere that people who are truly intent on committing suicide just get on with it - they feel their life has reached a full stop and it's a choice they've made. 

Anyone else who yells about it is crying for help.  No point in telling them off - it might well be a cry for much needed attention.  Just because you're not really going to slash your wrists or jump off a building doesn't mean that you don't need help.

Some of us are blessed and  make fantastic parents who really enjoy our roles - others just can't cope with the demands. I try not to judge those who are less fortunate. 

happy now :-)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2005 August 06, 22:34:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone else who yells about it is crying for help.  No point in telling them off - it might well be a cry for much needed attention.  Just because you're not really going to slash your wrists or jump off a building doesn't mean that you don't need help.
Maybe, but heckling somebody is always fun, and made all the more entertaining if they go and do it as a result.

Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2005 August 06, 22:54:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gosh you're an evil, evil man! Grin
« Last Edit: 2005 August 06, 23:16:41 by sandilou » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2005 August 06, 23:05:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gosh you're an evil, evil,  ;Devil man!
Yes, I believe it's been already suggested that I may be related to the devil, because of both my eyes and voice.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2005 August 06, 23:16:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I believe it's been already suggested that I may be related to the devil, because of both my eyes and voice.

Do you imply that you look like Loki Beaker?...Smiley. I had to work a lot with him, and still couldn't change that devilish eyes...Smiley.
BTW, he is very very good father to his daughter, always going to the crib, wishing to play with baby...Smiley.
Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2005 August 06, 23:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Typing error on my part - since corrected!  Besides, I think that you're more vampire than devil - although you really seem to love your fire....

Do you have a demonic voice?  Are we talking Silence of the Lambs again?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2005 August 06, 23:33:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have a demonic voice?  Are we talking Silence of the Lambs again?
I can do the demonic voice, yes. It hurts my throat, though. It's great for scaring children, though. Do the eyes thing, bellow, "YOUR SOUL IS MINE, MORTAL!", and watch as they pee themselves in fright and run in terror.

ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2005 August 06, 23:47:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bet your favorite holiday is Halowe'en, too, JM.

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2005 August 07, 00:02:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bet your favorite holiday is Halowe'en, too, JM.
I hate holidays.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2005 August 07, 00:22:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although I've never been suicidal, a very close family member has attempted three times, ending up in the hospital the last two (most recent attempt was just before Christmas).I am familiar enough to be sympathetic to it, but I have a strange feeling there are some really weird people coming to this board, lately. I don't buy this poster's claim. I just don't. Call it a hunch.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2005 August 07, 00:27:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although I've never been suicidal, a very close family member has attempted three times, ending up in the hospital the last two (most recent attempt was just before Christmas).
Might I suggest referring them to the Rippy the Razor picture, so they get it right next time? Honestly, there are few things which annoy me quite like incompetence.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2005 August 07, 00:59:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are twisted. Wink

I just read Danni's other posts and she doesn't sound like a crazy poster. Danni, if my "hunch" was wrong, and I have a "hunch" it was, now, I apologize. Your post just struck me out of the blue, with your being so cavalier about suicide. Either way, please get help. Go back to your doctor.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 07, 01:09:07 by Brynne » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2005 August 07, 01:47:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are twisted. Wink
Of course I am. Isn't that what makes me quintessentially me? It's why I will always be more awesome than you.

Sandilou
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2005 August 07, 15:14:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can do the demonic voice, yes. It hurts my throat, though. It's great for scaring children, though. Do the eyes thing, bellow, "YOUR SOUL IS MINE, MORTAL!", and watch as they pee themselves in fright and run in terror.

Two thoughts;
1. You missed your calling; you should have been a teacher.
2. See demonic  - read sexy - voice. 

I'm still your groupie Wink

Zukn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2005 August 07, 19:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well derail back to the original topic Who's playing the game.  I started a degree in Genetics, did 18 months and dropped out. That was several years ago, I work in an electronics factory as a materials operator.(I drag stuff from the delivery area to the area it's sed, find out when it's due, decide if we need earlier deliveries etc)I have a very good mathematical faculty, I tend to when given a task proceed in a very logical manner, however, I read a huge amount of fantasy and comedy books and watch the same types of film. I used to do alot of PNP roleplaying, both as DM and PC. I enjoy logic puzzles. I enjoy puns. I enjoy biting sarcasm. I dislike authority but tend to overindulge a paticular habit if not told to. I'm an addictive personality, I enjoy striving toward being the best at what I do, but I'm easily distracted from that goal when I am better than the average at whatever I'm doing. I enjoy making people laugh, though I'm often full of rage or sorrow or frustration. So I suppose I play the Sims2 because I can indulge all my fractured wants.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: