More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 10:46:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  who's playing this game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: who's playing this game?  (Read 102761 times)
bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
who's playing this game?
« on: 2005 July 30, 06:20:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hey guys! haha, was thinking of doing a research or whatever. The Sims 2 is a love it or hate it game right? well OBVIOUSLY everyone here loves it, but i'm curious...

normally is it true that most business or science people hate this game and art and design people love this game?

i'm studying art by the way  Grin

Our Creator was bored. Our Creator made humans. Our Creator loves Sims 2!
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: who's playing this game?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 30, 07:24:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am quite an 'arty' sort of person, but my daughter is studying chemistry and physics for her 'A' levels. We both love the game Wink

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 30, 07:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I initially studied computer science in college, worked in that field for two years, and now I'm thinking of going back to University for a mathematics degree. Like many, if not most, 'science/math people', my interests don't lie solely within science and math - to be more than a worker drone in science and math (and I daresay business as well), one has to be creative. So it is far from surprising, to me, that people such as myself adore this game.  Tongue

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 30, 08:16:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

chemistry degree - currently working as a mathematics teacher...

absolutely love the game!

my life does not revolve only around scientific and mathematical things.

Ness
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 30, 08:20:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm creative, but not really artsy (no talent!). I worked in nursing for quite a while, so I guess I'm scientific, too. Business and money matters bore me.
Baroness
Katze
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 30, 08:36:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the sims 2 but without the fixes from JM and twojeffs i would have given up a long time ago.
I work in nursing too and I'm not interested in buisness.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of  
the strong."  
     ---Gandhi
cyperangel
Garrulous Gimp

Lipless expert in stupid questions

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 30, 09:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<--- Working in tech support, and i sorely need somewhere, where the users dont call with stupid questions 24/7. So sims is perfect for me Cheesy

LK: I think the closest thing to a "soft heart" you'll find in JM's possession is the one he ripped out of some hapless fool's chest.
If you google "More Awesome Than You" - you'll find it. Please read the FAQs carefully before posting - their motto is MOAR FIGHT!They are not a snuggly bunc
JoanE
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 30, 09:19:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well before I retired I was an accountant, but I also used to do oil painting too, and I've had some of my pictures in local exhibitions.  The only painting I do now is the landscape. There are just so many varients to the game that I think it's impossilbe to make generalizations about the people that play.

I was climbing the walls until I found JM and twojeffs fixes, they made my game playable.

Joan
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 30, 09:23:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Sims 2 is a love it or hate it game right?

Sims 2 is a great big mess. If you love messy things, you will love this game.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 30, 12:02:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm an artsy person, but I also love biology (natch, being a midwife and all...  Wink) but my dh is an engineer.  He thinks the game is stupid and boring.  But OH. MY. LORD.  The man spends hours on "google world" looking at satellite photos of everywhere he can think of.   Roll Eyes

Chris

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 30, 12:06:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

normally is it true that most business or science people hate this game and art and design people love this game?
I'm a sciency type: A mechanical engineer. You'll notice I turn playing the game into a science. Where does that put me?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 30, 12:45:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh.

I'm an IT guy who currently does systems administration, and I am unable to socialize around people (Asperger's syndrome). I have no art skills I know of.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 30, 13:00:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm an IT guy who currently does systems administration, and I am unable to socialize around people (Asperger's syndrome). I have no art skills I know of.
I've never heard of this. Is this one of those new diseases they made up now? Sounds like a load of bolognium to me. I think you're just talking to the wrong people. Although I similarly lack art skills. Unless you count finger-painting with the blood and entrails of my enemies as an art skill.

Believe me, if I actually *HAD* art skills, you'd be seeing more totally awesome stuff. So who wants to volunteer their skills of an artist?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 30, 13:14:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Asperger's syndrome can be described as a mild form of autism. Primarily, the difficulty with social situations. It's a well documented disorder. One of those things that falls under the category of "Random crap I pick up from books."

I'm both, actually. For a while I was really into science, then I got into writing, which I still do, but now I'm into mathematics. Particularly complexity theory and emergence. Emergent game design, particularly. I like computers, and am teaching myself Java. I'm also fairly good at drawing, and am a decent computer modeller--except that the program I use, Animation Master, uses a file format completely foreign to basically every other program ever made. Augh.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 30, 13:19:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Asperger's syndrome can be described as a mild form of autism. Primarily, the difficulty with social situations. It's a well documented disorder. One of those things that falls under the category of "Random crap I pick up from books."
I think this sounds more like "creative bullshitting", personally. Them psychological types, they love to label everything. Everything's gotta have a label. People can't just be "an idiot", "a whacko", or "a loser" anymore, you know? Now they gotta clinically define why somebody is a loser. Pssh.

I'm both, actually. For a while I was really into science, then I got into writing, which I still do, but now I'm into mathematics. Particularly complexity theory and emergence. Emergent game design, particularly. I like computers, and am teaching myself Java. I'm also fairly good at drawing, and am a decent computer modeller--except that the program I use, Animation Master, uses a file format completely foreign to basically every other program ever made. Augh.
Good. Learn some more useful program, and maybe you can be more useful than Rentech.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 30, 13:40:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh. Of course Asperger's and other forms of autism are nonsense "disorders": I certainly have no problems with it. I just don't want to socialize with people, and if they force me to, I hate it. Perfectly normal.
But since people love labelling others, why not let them?

Funnily enough if you look into where Asperger's is really common, you end up in Sillicon Valley, universities, etc.. My guess is that they just needed a name to describe why geeks (ie people with more intelligence than common sense) are non-social!
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 July 30, 13:47:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Geeks know too much for their own good.
In Soviet Russia, knowledge masters geeks!

I used to be good at science but I've given up all hope in it excepts for physics. All that puny activities of molecules and such bores me. I can't judge Biology because I never took it as a course, but I am definitly the Art/Literature type, who just loves to make up phrases like "The epitomal, archetypal perfection of quintessential _______ness."   Wink
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 July 30, 14:01:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read a study about silicon valley & autism recently. Apparently rates of autism and aspergers are very high in the valley. It is supposed that geeks are actually breeding 'cos they're meeting each other at work in their programming cubicles. Wink

My degree is in computing and I work teaching computing. I relate better to animals & my computer than people. My partner is a technician, we can spend the whole evening in front of our machines, hardly speaking. It's great. Smiley

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

Where'd my avatar go? This will do for now.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 July 30, 15:19:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm an artsy type--I've got a design degree, but I can balance my checkbook, for what it's worth. I never did well in school with math/science subjects, but I think it's because I find things easier to understand when given a real-life context rather than a "Learn this cause it's in the lesson plan" explanation. The last time I remember enjoying science class was 3rd grade when our teacher did experiments all the time to explain things. I was lost in math once I got to Algebra 2. I never saw the point in doing math when you didn't know one of the numbers you needed to use. For example, 2 + a = b. Well, duh, it you add 2 to another number it will yield yet another number. Did we need to write out the obvious? I suppose I found that "higher" maths were just a waste of time so I stopped paying attention.

Personally, I think that the reason people play this game has less to do with interests and more to do with personality. I think everyone who plays this game is a control freak. Just like me.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 July 30, 15:20:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Untrue. According to Inge, control freaks represent a niche market, and this is why Macrotastics and the military-level control it provides will never be popular. But I think that Inge is just a round mound of gray fatness.

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 July 30, 15:21:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm an art and IT student, going into interactive design.

A proud thread pirate.
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 July 30, 15:23:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Untrue. According to Inge, control freaks represent a niche market, and this is why Macrotastics and the military-level control it provides will never be popular. But I think that Inge is just a round mound of gray fatness.

That's because you don't have total control if you use a macro. What if you want to change something mid-macro?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 July 30, 15:42:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then you X-out. Simple enough. Macrotastics tries to avoid interactions that are extremely difficult to abort. But no, control freaks should LIKE macrotastics. I'm a control freak, and I certainly do, since the alternatives are "micromanage everything tediously and laboriously" or "watch them do shit wrong".

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 July 30, 16:07:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm in the behavioral sciences. I love art, but my own talent does not go beyond stick-figures. My daughter however, is a wonderful artist, so something must be bouncing around in the gene-pool (my ex has no artistic flair either, but my brother and a few assorted cousins on my side of the family do).

As far as psychological types are concerned (labels, who needs labels?) Jung explains it best:
There are eight personality types based on the interactions of the attitudes and the functions.

We don't label, we just use terms as, shall we say 'placeholders'. Although the terms wacko, idiot, or loser are not usually used in the behavioral sciences Cheesy

Computers fascinate me, but I only good at messing them up. Surprisingly I'm pretty good at statistics, and psychophysiology. I guess I'm better with people brains, than computer brains.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Ardin Topani
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 July 30, 16:13:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a control freak, and I certainly do, since the alternatives are "micromanage everything tediously and laboriously" or "watch them do shit wrong".

Exactly! Then you are forced to control them! Or maybe I just enjoy doing things the hard way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: