More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:17:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  who's playing this game?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: who's playing this game?  (Read 102778 times)
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
Re: who's playing this game?
« Reply #200 on: 2005 August 19, 18:50:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My family has struggled with mental illness, as well, and I've also had my share of it. In 1990, while in college, I was having absolutely debilitating panic attacks. I became agoraphobic and it got to the point where all I could do was lie on the couch with ice packs all over my head. This went hand-in-hand with a major depression. At the time, not much was known about depression or anxiety, so I didn't really know what was happening to me. I just hit a brick wall. I was going to drop out of college, but I began medication and therapy and was well enough to change my mind at the last minute. My roommate, who was one of my best friends and a psychology major had the nerve to tell me that it was just a "convenient" illness. She was used to happy-go-lucky party-girl me, and was now seeing a more muted me. But she never saw me when I was at my lowest point.
Tom Cruise's idiotic comments really pissed me off. I have had to deal with people telling me to just "get over it" since my episode in '90, that I "don't need medication". Would those same people go up to a person with a broken leg in a cast and say, "you don't need that cast. Shake it off!" (shut up, JM Wink). It may be partly because my friends all kind of see me as a goofy clown and can't picture me being anything but that, so they don't take me seriously. That's the face I choose to show the world, though.   
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2005 August 19, 20:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, I am impressed with the wisdom and the intelligence of the people here.  Smiley  Thank you, thank you for that.   Cheesy

I can see JMP's point that sometimes, some people do misuse lables, and even hide behind them or use them to their advantage.  I work in the human services field (am trying to get out:  anyone have a job in a nice museum or archive where I can bury myself in books and research files?  Smiley  ) and I see those people every day.  "I can't work, I'm tryin' to get disability."  "What's your disability?"  "Ummmm, I am _________."  (enter in the disorder-of-the-month).  We also see a lot of those with "Anxiety" or "depression" that are really drug addicts.  They may have, once upon a time, actually had a problem and needed therapy.  They went to one of those HMO docs or medicaid clinic docs and instead of being given a mental health referral, they were given a prescription for valium or prozac or a whole "cocktail" of meds, and then asked to come back every month for monitoring.   Angry  They build up a tollerance for the drugs, they aren't really helped because what they need is therapy, not drugs, and then they get more and more drugs.  And they self-medicate with street drugs of alcohol.  This isn't a blanket assessment of everyone on those drugs, please do not get me wrong, because I know that medications can be helpful.  But in the instances I'm talking about, it's just adding a new problem to an old problem.  And, just like you said, veilchin, I think it's done for profit.  I've always said that our country is rulled by the Oil Barrons, Drug Companies, and Insurance Companies.  Insurance Companies even have the ablility to control life and death in some instances.  If someone is poor and needs a certain treatment, if the insurance company denies the treatment and they cannot find an alternative, then the person dies. 

Brynne:  That's great Jamie has a Speical Needs School.  We're in rural NC, so that is not available here.  But our school district has a wonderful lady in Al's elementary school who specializes in teaching kids with Autistic Spectrum Disorder.  She even traveled with Allen to middle school the 1st year and did a period of pull-out classes, and then worked with his teachers to help them understand Allen's needs and how to motivate him.  I've only been called to school twice for problem behaviors.  The 1st time he was in 1sr grade and he was picking his nose on the bus.  Some children started teasing him and he ended up smacking a kid, with his dirty fingers no less!   Tongue  The second time, he was singing and laughing in class.  This was in 7th grade.  The school is great, they know me pretty well because I'm a fierce Momma Bear when it comes to any of my babies, and espeically my Allen.  Smiley  I think they are afraid not to be.  I would have burnt down that A-hole's house, Brynne.  Or went home, got my husband's shotgun, and shot him!! 

I can compare Allen to certain charecters from TV and movies, and people "get it."  My favorite one is Adam Sandler's charector on "The Waterboy."  "Now, that's some premium H2O."  Yeah, that's definately AS Obsessive behavior.  LOL  (And yes, I do go around yelling, "Allen, girls are THE DEVIL!' LOL)  Another one is Data from Star Trek.  Data is always trying to tell jokes and never quite makes it.  Al's the same way.  He tells this absolutely silly, makes no sense, statement, and then when the "victim" is sitting there, speechless, binking, Al asks, "Did you think my joke was funny?"  My last one is Forrest Gump.  Allen has that sweet, sensitive, side of him, and that simplistic way of looking at things that other people miss because they were "overthinking."  A lot of people also know of Ausitm from the movie "Rain Man", and when Allen was 1st diagnosed, that was what I was told he would be like.  Thank God, with therapy and hard work (and lots of love, I'd like to think!) he's much better now. 

Brynne, I'd love to chat sometime about our boys.  Smiley  I just finished up Middle School, so I know exactly what you're going through.  This December, Allen will be 15.  In NC, kids take driver's ed the semsester before they turn 15 and then get their learner's permit.  In a few weeks, my son will be driving!! Cry Cry

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2005 August 19, 20:04:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See what I mean with the 'few bad apples' remark Val? I hope that person did not pursue psychology on the masters or doctoral level, and your comparison to the broken leg is absolutely true. A psych-doc friend of mine is counseling an anorexia victim, and so far with little success. The girl is practically dying in front of his eyes, but the social support for the girl is practically non-existing. Her mother actually told him that she feels the disorder is just a way of 'begging for attention' and that her daughter should 'just get over it'. The mind boggles.

He wasn't giving away priviledged information, he never mentioned any identifying characteristics, by the way. Psychologists and counselors do operate under the 'priviledged information ethic'.

I wish with all my heart that mental illness will one day be thought of as just what it is, a legitimate illness, acknowledged and treated properly. It is unfortunate that it is still misunderstood and often misdiagnosed, but the scientific community is trying to correct that. Unfortunately, it is often as if we are trying to stem a tide with a toothpick.

Hypochondria and psychosomatic illnesses are both found in the medical and psychological field, and strangely enough, are disorders in and of themselves. When I went to my first 'abnormal psychology' class way back when (another one of my pet peeves...what exactly is abnormal, and who gets to decide what it is?), my professor warned us that in all likelyhood we would find some of the symptoms within ourselves. She said that whenever she lectured on a particular disorder, more than half of the students would discover symptoms of that disorder in themselves. And right she was.

We all have our little idiosyncracies, but when it comes to actual unipolar or bipolar depression or anxiety we should be glad we are spared that (I won't even get into the personality disorders or schizophrenia) It is hard to make people understand that real depression is far more and far deeper than the occasional 'blues' we all experience, and far more crippling than even the worst of the non-fatal physical illnesses. Especially when the afflicted have no idea what is happening to them and on top of all that have to deal with people who can't see that this is not something the afflicted have wished upon themselves. Clinical depression and anxiety disorders are very frightening indeed.

There are plenty of charlatans in any field, my one wish and hope is that those in desperate need will find a caring and competent health care provider.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2005 August 19, 20:08:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't even want to think about Jamie getting behind the wheel of a car. He still wets the bed!
Before I found out Jamie had autism, my only reference to it was Rainman. Jamie's nothing like that. I was in serious denial about his autism because of that.

My father is bipolar with psychotic episodes, so I definitely know how tough that can be. I've never had a psychotic episode (knock on head), but I have been diagnosed with bipolar. Then rediagnosed with dysthymia with episodic severe depression. Then diagnosed bipolar again. It's still an inexact science. All I know is that the current cocktail of meds I take are now allowing me to lead a normal life.

Oh, Veilchen, my doctor called what you described as "Second-Year Psychology Student Syndrome", where you can identify with everything in the book.
« Last Edit: 2005 August 19, 20:15:59 by Brynne » Logged
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2005 August 19, 20:21:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah yes, Rainman.

Few people understand that the savant syndrome is actually a cognitive based function not limited to autism, but is also found in other major mental disabilities or intellectual handicaps.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2005 August 19, 22:43:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now you've piqued my interest!  What is the "savant syndrome"?

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2005 August 19, 23:19:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...my professor warned us that in all likelyhood we would find some of the symptoms within ourselves. She said that whenever she lectured on a particular disorder, more than half of the students would discover symptoms of that disorder in themselves. And right she was...

I was a psychiatric nurse trainee many years ago. The very first thing we were told was that we would identify some of our behaviours with the patients. It was described to me as a continuum, the patients' behaviours were generally no different to that of a 'normal' person, their behaviours just became so obsessive / excessive / anti-social / dangerous, that they were in a mental hospital.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2005 August 19, 23:23:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now you've piqued my interest!  What is the "savant syndrome"?

The old way of referring to this was 'idiot savant' I believe. Meaning that people who were markedly non-intelligent could nonetheless do remarkable stunts, often mathematical or pattern recognition sorts of things - music, maths, memory. An example might be of a person  multiplying very large numbers in their heads very fast, for instance, when they were not able to tie their own shoelaces.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2005 August 20, 00:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"My father is bipolar with psychotic episodes, so I definitely know how tough that can be. I've never had a psychotic episode (knock on head), but I have been diagnosed with bipolar." (Brynne)

Brynne, bipolar disorder is not mental, but physical disease - it's lack of Dopamine and/or Serotonin in the brain cells, which cause psychotic episodes. I think they found that Omega 3 (fish oil pills) can cure it, without taking pills. I receive medical e-mailed news, and someone there described that he was cured only by taking Omega 3. Worth a net search...Smiley.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2005 August 20, 01:38:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Gali, I think you'll find Lithium (which is a form of salt I think) is the crucial factor in bi-polar. Some people can get by without it if they have a mild case, others cannot. I read a book, the buzz of bi-polar is the wonderful crystalline speedy 'high' that these sufferers experience, the sense of being godlike and better than the rest of the slow moving, slow thinking slugs that inhabit this planet.

The book I read was written by a woman who now heads a medical facility of some sort in the States, she has chosen to use Lithium and be stabilised but grieves for the flat nature of her life. Wonderful book, wish I could remember title and author.

I think bi-polar disorder must be like taking speed. My b'f's mother & my ex best mate are both sufferers. My mate wouldn't take Lithium because she loved the highs, even knowing she would pay later with black depression.

Serotonin and dopamine are chemicals often found lacking in addicts/alcoholics I have read. Many drugs like opiates, nicotine and alcohol feed into the seratonin and dopamine receptors, helping to create the physical basis of many addictions. 'Runner's High' was something to do with this area of the brain also.

Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: 2005 August 20, 02:11:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm (almost afraid to say it here) bipolar.  I have a form of bipolar disorder (creatively referred to as "bipolar II") in which I don't get to experience those great manic phases as often as other bipolars.  Before I was treated for it, I would, about twice a year, have a manic phase in which my creativity would peak and I wouldn't really sleep for a week or so.  What I get the abundance of are the really, really low depression phases.  It lasts most of the time.  I got to a point where I was agoraphobic, and stayed home for a year or so...I didn't even make my doctor appointments and wouldn't leave the house for them.  Other people in my family would have to make my appointments and drag my ass to them.   At the time I was seeing a "health professional" who was of the flavor-of-the-week drug dispenser.  She put me on so much crap that I eventually decided it wasn't worth it and I would live with the staying home and never getting out of bed.  Before that point I had crippling panic attacks in public, and this is why I can't work outside the home, and I'm one of those wierd recluse medical transcription people that work from home lol....anyway my point is, once I was finally diagnosed, and treated with the right medication, the difference was absolutely amazing.  I don't know how I lived up to that point. 

It's frustrating for people that don't understand, the ones that tell you to "get over it," so frustrating! Now, with what I'm taking, I have enough balance to interact with people and deal with the prospect of work and school. 

So the moral of the story is that I identify, and know exactly what you mean.  I worry that my kids will pick up that depression gene, if it exists, and it's terrifying!

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2005 August 20, 03:36:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"My father is bipolar with psychotic episodes, so I definitely know how tough that can be. I've never had a psychotic episode (knock on head), but I have been diagnosed with bipolar." (Brynne)

Brynne, bipolar disorder is not mental, but physical disease - it's lack of Dopamine and/or Serotonin in the brain cells, which cause psychotic episodes. I think they found that Omega 3 (fish oil pills) can cure it, without taking pills. I receive medical e-mailed news, and someone there described that he was cured only by taking Omega 3. Worth a net search...Smiley.

I appreciate what you're saying, but although omega 3 pills may help mild cases, much as St. John's Wort does with mild depression, it is not a cure. There is no cure. (And fish pills are still "pills" Wink). I don't know why so many people can't understand that pills are not evil and can mean the difference between life and death for many people. Sure, there are profits companies are after and pills are way, way, overprescribed, and that unfortunately adds fuel to the "depression doesn't need medication" argument. But the legitimate cases often need medication to correct the chemical imbalances. Like a diabetic and insulin. And, yes, that part is physical. But it causes a mental disease. Meaning, it affects your mentality, your way of thinking, etc. My dad's psychosis also has physical,or chemical,rather, causes as well.  This is a life-long illness. Although I feel pretty good now, I still have to remember to take my meds daily. I accept that. Lithium was the first thing I was prescribed, along with a ton of vitamins (my doctor was more into the "natural treatments". I'm now on different medications. My dad also started with Lithium. He's also gone through the diet changes, exercise, everything. He has been on just about every medication now, some would work for a while, most had no effect. He's gone through ECT, as well. Now he is on MAOIs, which is a very restrictive drug, and usually a last resort. He is one of the small percentage of people who don't seem to benefit from the drugs available, and that devastates him. When I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a close family member try to commit suicide last Christmas, I was referring to my father. 
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2005 August 20, 06:36:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...Now he is on MAOIs, which is a very restrictive drug, and usually a last resort...
Is that the one where you're not allowedto go  in sunlight? Is that why you say restrictive Brynne? My mate was on some drugs & she couldn't go in the sun. She is a pale redhead as well, very bad with the high intensity sun in New Zealand.

Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2005 August 20, 22:35:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I don't think they have sunlight restrictions, although they may. They require a very restricted diet. Nothing aged, like cheese or wine, etc, no chocolate, no a-lot-of-things-I-can't-remember. The combination can be fatal. 
Zythe
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2005 August 20, 23:49:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a love of writing. I hope to be an author. I think you can create beautiful art through literature Smiley
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2005 August 21, 09:52:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A psych-doc friend of mine is counseling an anorexia victim, and so far with little success. The girl is practically dying in front of his eyes, but the social support for the girl is practically non-existing. Her mother actually told him that she feels the disorder is just a way of 'begging for attention' and that her daughter should 'just get over it'. The mind boggles.

Boggles! The ignorance of some is truly astounding. Does this woman not realise that her daughter is responding to her parents less than excellent parenting skills and that they have had no mean part to play in her illness? Yes, she's crying out for help, but their self-obsession is killing her.

Like you, I counsell people too, and have worked in the Mental Health field for a little while though I've ended up in kids and learning disabilities. My experience has lead me to see that the general populace has little or no understanding of the issues of what are minority groups and no empathy or sympathy. I become depressed about the service I offer as it is underfunded and understaffed and the burn-out is awful. It is unsolvable unless huge amounts of money are to thrown at it, so that there is better education and information available, and staff. Some of the kids I work with are so challenging that they need 4 people with them to access any facilities at all, and how can you sustain that level of staffing when it all grinds back to cash? I worry what will happen to these young people once the magic number 18 comes about as in Britain there is very little care available for adults. I could weep with it all...

Hey, bi-polar has some distinguished people in its midst and many of the greatest artists had this illness. At the peak of the psychotic periods their creativity knew no bounds... Winston Churchill, anyone? Spike Milligan, one of the greatest comics in British history was completely crippled at times but still managed to produce work like Q8 and The Goons.

Meh...
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2005 August 21, 11:03:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before I was treated for it, I would, about twice a year, have a manic phase in which my creativity would peak and I wouldn't really sleep for a week or so.
What's wrong with that? I'm constantly locked in this mode myself. SLEEP IS FOR WUSSES!

It's frustrating for people that don't understand, the ones that tell you to "get over it," so frustrating! Now, with what I'm taking, I have enough balance to interact with people and deal with the prospect of work and school.
Meh, you just need to focus on the above and ignore the rest.

So the moral of the story is that I identify, and know exactly what you mean.  I worry that my kids will pick up that depression gene, if it exists, and it's terrifying!
I have an answer for you there: Don't have kids. Why is this such a hard concept?

Ah, fish oil. Fish oil is one of my favorite beverages, about the only part of fish I actually enjoy! I fry potatoes in fish oil. And I drink it straight.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2005 August 21, 13:13:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And there we have proof positive that fish oil does not work, ladies and germs...

Meh...
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2005 August 21, 13:33:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

fish oil...  *shudder*

I take it for chronic fatigue syndrome (the discussion on what that is can wait for another time), it works well there, but does stuff all for the arthritis that it is supposed to be good for that I also have...

Ness
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2005 August 21, 15:30:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, fish oil. Fish oil is one of my favorite beverages, about the only part of fish I actually enjoy! I fry potatoes in fish oil. And I drink it straight.

There goes my gagging reflex again.
bluecatvon
Feckless Fool

I'm so handsome

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2005 August 21, 17:12:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

in my part of the world, we encourage taking goat milk pills. Nasty, IMHO haha. Leaves a strange after taste.

Our Creator was bored. Our Creator made humans. Our Creator loves Sims 2!
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2005 August 21, 20:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah, fish oil is pretty disgusting...  the capsules themselves have no taste, but they do tend to repeat on you, and believe me it is hard to think of much that is worse than burping fish all day!

I'm actually a little surprised that in the time I've been sleeping, nobody has come out yelling that there is no such thing as chronic fatigue syndrome...  it appears to be one of the least understood conditions, simply because it's not a condition itself but a blanket diagnostic name given to a whole bunch of symptoms that arise from metabolic disorders...

Ness
laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2005 August 21, 21:30:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hooo, that one is a really sticky mess. I know several people with this diagnosis, one of whom is very ill indeed as she already has an existing heart condition. Does exist, but as you say, it's a blanket term.

Meh...
Hairfish
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2005 August 21, 23:30:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all for talking about Asperger's Syndrome. My son, now 25, was given a diagnosis of ADHD at age 4, then "non-specific schizophreniform disorder" at age 13. This was all before AS had been recognized. He meets all the criteria for AS; his current obsession is with airplanes, and he spends his days playing with a flight simulator. Since you can't force a legal adult into evaluation and treatment without a court order, he will probably remain obsessed with one thing or another (and thus unemployable) forever. He goes to job interviews and talks about...airplanes.  Roll Eyes

I'm a rapid-cycling bipolar for whom all types of medication have proved useless. Fun, no? Sleep may be for wusses, but I'd love to have one good night of it nonetheless.
FatedCircle
Obtuse Oaf

Doink!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2005 August 21, 23:40:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I work with children with severe Autism, and have found joy in it.  Even when we have our "moments" I still love each and every one of them.  I also have some students with AS, and I enjoy them as well.  I find that even in their quirkiness, there is so much that we can learn from them.  I have found some of my students who have autism and AS to be my brightest kids.  Difficult, always, but very bright and always a refreshing challenge.  I wholeheartedly admire parents who love and cherish their kids who have these types of needs on a daily basis, and I marvel at the patience they exhibit.   Smiley

Billy, put down that phylactery, we're Episcopalian.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: