More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 20, 13:53:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Missing Cooking Skill
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Missing Cooking Skill  (Read 5177 times)
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
Missing Cooking Skill
« on: 2011 June 15, 15:27:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought I'd read about a missing skill point problem with Generations, but now I can't find the information anymore, so I don't know if this is Generations related or not.

I have a sim who is at level 8 of cooking skill, and yet he can't cook any foods that require skill beyond level 6. He could at first, but not anymore. At some point after he reached level 8, the dishes related to that skill level showed in his cooking skill diary among the foods he can cook, while level 7 foods were missing. Now they're both missing. I've tried resetting him, but it doesn't change anything. This has not affected all my sims with Generations, because another one, who's now dead, used to be able to cook just fine up to level 10.

So, is this a Generations related bug or something else? And is there any way to fix it?

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
Re: Missing Cooking Skill
« Reply #1 on: 2011 June 16, 03:01:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Master Controller at NRAAS can increase or reduce skill levels. Maybe decreasing the skill level and then either increasing again or re-learning will fix this?

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 June 16, 04:56:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Master Controller at NRAAS can increase or reduce skill levels. Maybe decreasing the skill level and then either increasing again or re-learning will fix this?

You can do the same thing without the master controller.  Just enable the debug interactions, ctrl-sft-click and choose the set skill level, then just select a lower level than what they currently have and relearn.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 June 16, 09:33:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I feel like an idiot, but what do I click on when I do the ctrl+shift+click to edit the skill level? I don't see an option about setting skills when clicking on the sim, and clicking the skill bars does nothing. (I have testing cheats enabled.) Any info I find online claims there is no cheat in Sims 3 to modify skills.

ETA: Since I couldn't get it working mod-free, I added the Master Controller, removed the skill levels 7 and 8, then added them back, and now he can cook Key Lime Pie just fine.
« Last Edit: 2011 June 16, 10:10:02 by IgnorantBliss » Logged

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 June 16, 12:18:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not:

OK, I feel like an idiot, but what do I click on when I do the ctrl+shift+click to edit the skill level? I don't see an option about setting skills when clicking on the sim, and clicking the skill bars does nothing. (I have testing cheats enabled.) Any info I find online claims there is no cheat in Sims 3 to modify skills.

ETA: Since I couldn't get it working mod-free, I added the Master Controller, removed the skill levels 7 and 8, then added them back, and now he can cook Key Lime Pie just fine.

But:

You can do the same thing without the master controller.  Just enable the debug interactions, ctrl-sft-click and choose the set skill level, then just select a lower level than what they currently have and relearn.

Edit: But there are two cooking skills, one of which is hidden (probably associated with the child's oven). It's much easier to tell which is which with MC than AM.
« Last Edit: 2011 June 16, 12:27:49 by Eeyore » Logged

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 June 16, 14:51:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was under the impression that enabling testing cheats was called the "debug" mode, so that's what threw me off. I guess I'm a cheat noob. Well, in any case, the problem has been solved. (BTW, I don't have AM installed if the debug interactions are in any way connected to that.)
« Last Edit: 2011 June 16, 15:07:14 by IgnorantBliss » Logged

Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 June 16, 18:02:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This being MATY and all, I suspect people are going to assume that you're using AM. When you post for help and aren't using AM, you might want to specify this to avoid confusion.

For future reference, in AM testing cheats, debug commands, and debug interactions all have different console commands (for a list use "help" when enabled) and various clicking menus. To enable them, RTFM.

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 June 16, 19:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would we assume he's using Awesomemod if he's posting outside the AM thread sections and never mentioned AM at all?

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 June 17, 03:43:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it would have been smart of me to mention in my original post I wasn't using any mods. I was actually going to do that, but forgot. The reason I posted my question here is that I'm used to getting the most informed answers here, whether or not AM related.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 June 19, 14:13:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My guess is that something damaged the known recipes list, and since the known recipes list is a data structure that gets updated only when your sim either manually learns a non-automatic recipe or levels up (and thus learns new recipes for that level), it does not retroactively check for damaged, missing, or added recipes. This behavior should probably be considered a bug, but is sufficiently minor and obscure that it's not worth the effort to maintain a fix for it. If you had AwesomeMod, the manualfix for it is pretty simple. If you don't, well, get someone else's Debug Enabler. Although honestly, there isn't really a good reason why you wouldn't.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: