More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 16, 16:15:12

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Data Execution Prevention + Latest Patch
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Data Execution Prevention + Latest Patch  (Read 23135 times)
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
Re: Data Execution Prevention + Latest Patch
« Reply #25 on: 2011 June 12, 09:36:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before you "highly recommend" it Check out some reviews and actual tests of this software from known forums, not the reviews on dodgy fake paid review sites. You can also test it yourself by looking at your available physical memory and CPU usage (in task manager) before and after using it and then tell people the real difference it made for you.
Not quite sure what sites you've been browsing, but my recommendation comes from having used it for around 18 months.
And it frees up alot of unnecessary  RAM, as much as 300mb on occasion, enough to be a significant help.
That's not placebo, Task Manager and Gamebooster show the same numbers. It works.
« Last Edit: 2011 June 12, 11:21:38 by tizerist » Logged
Anach
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile WWW
Re: Data Execution Prevention + Latest Patch
« Reply #26 on: 2011 June 12, 13:29:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before you "highly recommend" it Check out some reviews and actual tests of this software from known forums, not the reviews on dodgy fake paid review sites. You can also test it yourself by looking at your available physical memory and CPU usage (in task manager) before and after using it and then tell people the real difference it made for you.
Not quite sure what sites you've been browsing, but my recommendation comes from having used it for around 18 months.
And it frees up alot of unnecessary  RAM, as much as 300mb on occasion, enough to be a significant help.
That's not placebo, Task Manager and Gamebooster show the same numbers. It works.

What I'm saying is that a few hundred Mb of RAM is hardly worth the time, as it will most likely get used up by something else right away, and be unlikely to give you any performance gain. The way Windows works is to shift what it can't fit into memory to your swap file, located on your HDD. With a limited amount of RAM, it is likely this swap is already being utilised by something, and as soon as you free up RAM, its getting allocated more RAM. For the most part, windows handles memory management quite well, as long as you close down the constant memory hogs while gaming such as your Web Browser. Even so, Sims by default will use up to 2gig if you have it, and with a tweaked ini I've seen it use twice that on an older game. If you have 2gig or less, its likely you are already swapping to HDD and getting excessive disk usage and game slowdown. If you have somewhere between 2-4gig, that 300mb is going to make such a small difference it will be barely noticed. The biggest performance gain on a low end system will probably come from CPU usage, and any background task 99% of the time, shouldn't be using much CPU (under 5%), or it's not working right.

As for reviews I've looked at, most consist of forums of popular hardware enthusiast sites, as I've not managed to find a legit review site that I'd trust to give an unbiased review, and offer any real world facts. Like FPS, Memory usage and the likes. From what I've read, no one has seen any real difference, and some have claimed that "Game Booster" has actually caused more issues than it's fixed. Some have recommended using alternatives such as EndItAll2 or Smartclose.

The placebo comes from "I think it works better, so it must", and without actual numbers, it's most likely what it comes down to. Similar to the RAM boost software I was mentioning in my previous post. The thing is, these types of software have been around Since I remember, and people don't like being told they don't work. As for your software, I'm not saying it doesn't work, as I'm sure it does what it says when it comes to closing services and the likes, but it's the performance gain which I'm still yet to see any hard numbers on, and even so, I'd think it likely the results would be negligible. It's certainly not the first of its type, and wont be the last.

The truth is, there is no magic software that can make your PC awesome. The best tweaks are to not install crap you don't need, update your drivers and keep your system clean. If you have reached the stage where you are hoping that RAM management software will work, then it's probably time for an upgrade.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: