More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 22:02:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Generations: What Sucks, What's Fucked, and What Did EA Get Right by Utter Luck
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Generations: What Sucks, What's Fucked, and What Did EA Get Right by Utter Luck  (Read 208263 times)
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Re: Generations: What Sucks, What's Fucked, and What Did EA Get Right by Utter Luck
« Reply #125 on: 2011 June 01, 23:36:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Sandboxes are children only. The animations do not exist for any other age group.

Also, the expansion seems very bare until you really start getting into it. Imaginary friends, field trips, teenage rebellion, mid life crises, these are all very little things that make a big impact on the day-to-day boredom of sim life. My teen wanted in three days to beat up another teen, insult another teen, dye his hair, learn to drive, invite someone to prom, egg an enemy's house, sneak out once he got grounded, sneak some TV before his parents got home, and skip school. His dad is having a mid-life crisis and wanted to get stronger, buy a car, plan a new everyday outfit. It's a big collection of really little things, and it does get fun once you get really into it. Without the wants from the teen rebellion/midlife crisis, I never would've made a teen skip school for no real reason, or played with egging a house, or initiated fights. Prom is a good excuse to start a relationship early, when before I'd wait until adulthood since there's more to do. Mid-life crises prompted me to change my sims clothes up, which is good since he wore those same clothes all through young adulthood. It's nice.
« Last Edit: 2011 June 02, 01:02:06 by Claeric » Logged
moxyc
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Generations: What Sucks, What's Fucked, and What Did EA Get Right by Utter Luck
« Reply #126 on: 2011 June 02, 01:27:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it just me (entirely possibly), or does it seem like when a sim is preggers, her belly grows gradually now instead of all at once?  Also, kind of an awesome feature: you can woohoo in almost anything now.  Convenient Smiley.  Some of the animations for kids are cool (the pirate fight thing in the tree house for example), but besides that, I'm glad I didn't waste $40 on this EP.  Not worth it.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: 2011 June 02, 01:39:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pregnant bellies always grew gradually.
Zed Pee Em
Asinine Airhead

Zed Pee Em..What? He's Canadian. I'm sorry.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: 2011 June 02, 02:13:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am enjoying the EP so far, but I do find the imaginary friends to be a bit annoying after a while, I played two of them and after that stopped letting my kids play with them. I wish they were deletable.

Oh Canada, the pipes, the pipes are calling...
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 2011 June 02, 02:16:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

His dad ... wanted to get stronger, buy a car, plan a new everyday outfit.

These wants aren't new.  I've had sims roll them up before.  The "get stronger" want rolls up for sims who have some athletic skill, and the other two wants tend to roll up for sims who have the snob trait.

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 2011 June 02, 02:20:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

His dad ... wanted to get stronger, buy a car, plan a new everyday outfit.

These wants aren't new.  I've had sims roll them up before.  The "get stronger" want rolls up for sims who have some athletic skill, and the other two wants tend to roll up for sims who have the snob trait.

I don't believe I said they're new, did I?

The difference between "Rolling wants that any sim can roll" and "Midlife crisis" are that these wants don't have the same requirements (the sim doesn't have to be athletic at all to want to become stronger) and the wants cannot be deleted if you choose to approve them until the crisis is over (it lasts a week). It's not like "Haha they let your sim GET THE SAME WANTS AS ALWAYS!", the wants are stuff that you have to work for (unlike, say, "Eat waffles"), and they're wants your sim might not usually get (A frugal sim doesn't really often want a new car for no reason) or might not EVER get. That's the whole point.
Kyna
Terrible Twerp

An ass with great insight

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 2011 June 02, 02:30:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You implied they were new when you said this:

Also, the expansion seems very bare until you really start getting into it.

I wouldn't say changing when pre-existing wants roll up is particularly exciting or worth raving about.  Don't say you weren't raving about the feature since you were trying to tell us why at second look Generations is more zOMG AWESOME than you first thought.

Is there anything for adults in this EP besides more of my sims getting the wants I tend to control-click away (you can't have a car, you've already maxed out athletic, and if I wanted to change your look, I would have done it already) and buggy dates?

<br />Also, thank god for Google spellcheck. Otherwise, this post would be intelligible. <br />
<br />Declared \\\\\\\"Male\\\\\\\" by Pescado on 8th April, 2009
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: 2011 June 02, 02:52:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stargazing? Having your SO accuse you of cheating?

Not much honestly.

"Of two evils, choose the prettier."
SendMeLies
Blathering Buffoon

See if I care.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 2011 June 02, 03:10:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Add to the fucked list: photography is not working anymore. Read the book to gain 3 points of skill, grab the camera bought on a consignemnt store and voilą: point, shoot and sim got stuck doing nothing. Of course he got charged for the photo and couldn't move until "resetsim". The camera doesn't even mark potential themes anymore; it acts like the cell camera now. I didn't patch the game yet, and since there's no patch for WA I doubt it will be fixed now. Thanks for borking this one, EA.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 2011 June 02, 03:26:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had that photography bug. Every time I restarted the game, it was borked. Now it's working again all of a sudden. No idea what the hell happened.
Daphoenyx
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 2011 June 02, 03:46:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am enjoying the EP so far, but I do find the imaginary friends to be a bit annoying after a while, I played two of them and after that stopped letting my kids play with them. I wish they were deletable.
I always sent them to clean up the house... I found them useful this way.
Chain_Reaction
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2011 June 02, 04:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They do all teh work to make it so that you can PAINT a usable object on the ground (sims can play in the sand on any sand terrain on a usable lot), and then they go and make it children only. Ridiculous.

I doubt it was much work. If you noticed, each texture emits a different sound effect which indicates the game stores the texture type already. All they had to do was enable an object to be spawned on the sand texture and viola. It being for children only was simply lazyness. Just another example of where you give EA way too much credit.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Generations: What Sucks, What's Fucked, and What Did EA Get Right by Utter L
« Reply #137 on: 2011 June 02, 06:02:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It could be worse. Imagine if it WASN'T for children-only and every single sim-adult in the game started engaging in this silliness.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
netza
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 2011 June 02, 07:28:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The boarding school sems to be quite glitchy.... Sent one sim to one, one day later he just came back home and never went back. As adult it says he's still in it. He can't look for jobs and so on. Sent his son to boarding school and he never went there at all. Anyone have the same problem? Can't find an option to get them to leave boarding school either...
Dienvae
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2011 June 02, 10:00:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes. Sandboxes are children only. The animations do not exist for any other age group.

This isn't true. I saw Michael Bachelor playing in the sandbox I had placed at the Sunset Valley park. Made me roll my eyes seeing a teen playing in it.
pabasa
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 2011 June 02, 11:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And at some point, they wouldn't get in their bed to sleep, relax, woohoo, nothing.  The action would cancel out as soon as I started it.  I deleted the bed and bought a new one and it was fine.   Huh
And all this on a clean install, no mods.  Oh well.

Beds eventually becoming unusable is an old bug. I'm pretty sure I had it since Ambitions.
KawaiiMiyo
Dollaboo
Dimwitted Dunce

INFP! ^_^

View Profile
Re: Generations: What Sucks, What's Fucked, and What Did EA Get Right by Utter L
« Reply #141 on: 2011 June 02, 11:38:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I always sent them to clean up the house... I found them useful this way.

I thought I read somewhere that they're capable of running away. If nothing else perhaps you can get rid of them that way.

It could be worse. Imagine if it WASN'T for children-only and every single sim-adult in the game started engaging in this silliness.

Isn't that where traits such as "Childish" are supposed to come into play? But I suppose it's a lot easier for EA to call it one of the many great features of the game when all they have to work with is a dollhouse. I guess they feel there is no need to work with it further afterward.

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. ~Ayn Rand
bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

Less awesome than some of you

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 2011 June 02, 12:17:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone has the bug in which sims who returned from boarding school cannot get a normal job? Professions still work, but anything rabbithole-bound simply shows no options to join a career there. The newspaper and computer also don't show these options.
netza
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2011 June 02, 12:40:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Anyone has the bug in which sims who returned from boarding school cannot get a normal job? Professions still work, but anything rabbithole-bound simply shows no options to join a career there. The newspaper and computer also don't show these options.

Yes, did just write that.
Daphoenyx
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 2011 June 02, 14:48:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought I read somewhere that they're capable of running away. If nothing else perhaps you can get rid of them that way.
Maybe if you build a bad relationship with them... Though I haven't tried it.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: 2011 June 02, 15:41:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This isn't true. I saw Michael Bachelor playing in the sandbox I had placed at the Sunset Valley park. Made me roll my eyes seeing a teen playing in it.

Sitting in it is not the same as playing in it. Only children can build sand castles and play in the sand. Teens can sit in it and run their hand through it as they do so.
Painkiller
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 2011 June 02, 17:57:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay I went back to test several times the sharing the break up and divorce memory in several new games with premades and nope, no dice: only the sim who initiated the break up had the break up memory and the divorce memory, the second sim gets nothing. Can anyone please check in his game and tell me if it's mine acting up? The other memories seems to be shared correctly but not these two particular ones.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: 2011 June 02, 18:17:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Divorce and Break Up are not shared, must be a bug.
siriusthinking
Asinine Airhead

Lurker since July 29, 2005!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: 2011 June 02, 18:55:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a couple more weird things, not sure if they've always been there and I've never experienced them or what.
Sometime, if a toddler is upstairs and I tell a parent to pick it up for whatever reason, the parent will go up to the baby, turn around and go downstairs and hang out in the living room while the baby cries at the top of the stairs.  It doesn't happen all the time so I don't think it's some sort of route failure, but I'm dumb about these things.

Another thing is the play table keeps disappearing.  It's not in anyone's inventory, and nobody's been around to steal it... ugh.
bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

Less awesome than some of you

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 2011 June 02, 19:00:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Somewhat mentioned before, but I'd like to add to it - romantic hugging interactions when two sims are gf/bf, engaged or married cause the initiator to jump back. What's funny, it worked normal before I proposed going steady.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: