More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 17:37:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Random crashfest; at my wit's end
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Random crashfest; at my wit's end  (Read 8874 times)
Daimon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Random crashfest; at my wit's end
« on: 2011 April 25, 11:42:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A week or so I updated to patch 1.19 and installed Outdoors Living at the same time, both from the FANO torrent. Ever since I have been in crashy hell in spite of my computer being a mutant monster from outer space that is more than capable of running the game flawlessly and make coffee in between. At first the game would render yellow streaks and vertices and then crash randomly. Now I have installed Windows 7 on a shiny new hard drive and updated everything in the drivers department -- and now the launcher tells me it crashes unexpectedly, after which the sims intro attempts to fire up and the entire system freezes instead, causing the computer to self-reboot.

I am not a happy camper and I am running out of ideas very fast.

I have tested and poked my NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX to the point where it is considering filing a restraining order against me, and it checks out fine every time, even scoring 150k on AquaMark3's test (for those not in the know, that basically means it should be able to run the Sims 3 like a piece of cake). With the new hard drive I have eliminated the issue of five bad sectors that I thought was the culprit until now.

In the mods dept I am running clean with just awesomemod at the moment; unless one of EA's own store packs is the culprit I am not dealing with a bad mod or conflict in that area. I have tried running with Nraas' overwatch (while I could still -launch- the game) to eliminate memory leakage issues as well.

Help? Tips? Please? Pretty please?

Edit: I just noticed that the Sims Repair Utility from MTS selfdestructs after telling me that a value cannot be 0. I have no idea whether this is helpful in pinpointing the issue, though.
« Last Edit: 2011 April 25, 11:53:21 by Daimon » Logged
bitterquill
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Random crashfest; at my wit's end
« Reply #1 on: 2011 April 25, 12:11:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried another torrent?
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 April 28, 03:52:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How can you describe your machine as a "mutant monster from outer space" when your running an old Nvidia 8800 card?  While that game will run the game, it hardly qualifies for pushing your machine into such stellar territory.

Have you done the usual troubleshooting?  probably not, as you didn't say so, and why the fuck are you using the launcher?

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Daimon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 April 29, 19:20:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless I'm critically misinformed, and I will of course allow for that option, the 8800M GTX is anything but outdated. That said, yes, I have in fact spent two weeks troubleshooting; clean installs of the game, EP by EP, updated anything that can be updated, clean install of Windows, XP first and 7 later on, and just about any test available. I'm late in replying because the machine spent the last 48 hours sitting in a repair shop running a stress test loop.

There is a new development, though: The computer now insists that the videocard is a generic vga card with 14 Mb RAM and refuses to install Nvidia's drivers, so we are one step closer to a solution; I gave the shop the weekend to either get its shit together or replace the videocard with its newest counterpart. I'm putting this plea for help on hold until they get back to me since there is reasonable suspicion that the videocard is to blame in spite of repeat tests claiming the opposite.

On a slightly butthurt note, where did I mention using the launcher? I spoke of being able to launch the game, not using EA's fuckpile of a rootkit.
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 April 29, 19:28:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On a slightly butthurt note, where did I mention using the launcher? I spoke of being able to launch the game, not using EA's fuckpile of a rootkit.
-- and now the launcher tells me it crashes unexpectedly, after which the sims intro attempts to fire up and the entire system freezes instead, causing the computer to self-reboot.
Questions? Comments?

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
Versus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 April 29, 20:30:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The launcher ALWAYS crashes. Why the hell are you using it?
Pelasope
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 April 29, 21:01:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless I'm critically misinformed, and I will of course allow for that option, the 8800M GTX is anything but outdated.

While amazing in its time, that time was 2006,2007.
Daimon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 April 30, 10:02:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My mistake, brainfart, you name it. Yes, I did test with EA's launcher as well before formatting the drive anyhow. No, I don't usually use that thing.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 April 30, 15:29:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless I'm critically misinformed, and I will of course allow for that option, the 8800M GTX is anything but outdated.

Are you running a laptop as the "M" usually indicats a laptop card?  That said, the current top level GTX Nvidia is the 590GTX, and the top level GTX  laptop card is 485M, the 8800, as has been mentioned is horribly outdated, but usable.

You probably should confirm if you are using an 8800 in a desktop, or an 8800M in a laptop. or an 8800M in a desktop, if that is actually possible.

It sounds like your "mutant monster from outer space" may possibly be underspec'ed for what you are trying to do.  It might be beneficial if you provide additional details about this "mutant monster from outer space", namely if it is a desktop/PC or Laptop, CPU and amount of RAM.

Hitch
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 April 30, 15:38:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A "mutant monster from outer space" is a favorable description of a computer?

To me, that sounds more like some beast bodged together from random mismatched parts that surprises everyone, including the person that built it, by being able to run at all. Much the the "unholy hybrids" of the Sims 2 days when patching, expansions and cracks would lead to people running mismatched executables and data files. They would load up, but then randomly exhibit unpredictable behavior (which the users seemed to invariably try to blame on Pescado).
BaronElectricPhase
Blathering Buffoon

Caution: May contain Nuts

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 April 30, 16:06:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A "mutant monster from outer space" is a favorable description of a computer?

I prefer my FrankenBox.
Daimon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 May 02, 09:17:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My space monster is a laptop and it shall always be a space monster to me. That said, I do realise that the 8800M GTX is not the newest card on the market, but unless I am stupider than I thought (I'll leave the option open), it's still among the top ten best videocards for laptops. However, even if I am proved to be dumber than a wet brick on this question, I still feel the need to point out that the game ran flawlessly on high graphics settings until these crashes began to occur about three weeks ago. This is why I thought the issue might be Outdoors Living related at first.

For the sake of further argument I offer you my specs, as well as a virtual cup of coffee. The computer is currently sitting in the repair shop, though, since it is now refusing to acknowledge that it has a videocard at all (yeah, I don't think it's a Sims related problem anymore either). I am waiting eagerly by the phone for a call from the shop that will determine whether repairs are under warranty or I won't be eating this month (also, hyperbole is my friend).

On a slightly miffed note, I see what you did there, Hitch. However, blaming Pescado never crossed my mind. I came here because while MATY is, uh, reputable for eating the clueless and the stupid alive, and being anything but newbie friendly, it is also home to some of the most competent simmers around. I'll take my beatings in stride as long as I feel confident that the people calling me an idiot at least know what they're talking about.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 build 2600 (32-bit),   (I tested with Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit both, same crashes)
1 x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9500 @ 2.60GHz,
3.0GB RAM,  (4 GB under win 7)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX,
186GB HDD,
DVD, DVD,

GENERAL
System Name: ALVIN-2E2B59A82
System Model: M570RU
Motherboard Manufacturer: CLEVO
Motherboard Name: SANTA ROSA
Motherboard Version: Not Applicable
Motherboard Serial Number: Not Applicable
BIOS Manufacturer: Phoenix
BIOS Version: PTLTD - 6040000
BIOS Release Date: 2007/12/12

CPU
CPU manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9500 @ 2.60GHz
Codename: Penryn
CPUID: Family 6, Model 17, Stepping 6, Revision M0/C0
Socket: PGA478/BGA479
Lithography: 45nm
Physical CPU's: 1
Cores per CPU: 2
Hyperthreading: Not capable
CPU features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 DEP PAE Intel64 VMX
Clock frequencies:
Measured CPU speed: 2593.6 MHz
Multiplier: x13.0
Scalable Bus Speed: 200.0 MHz
Front Side Bus: 798.0 MHz
Cache per CPU package:
L1 Instruction Cache: 2 x 32 KB
L1 Data Cache: 2 x 32 KB
L2 Cache: 1 x 6144 KB

MEMORY
Total Physical Memory: 3070MB
Available Physical Memory: 2157MB
Virtual memory: C:\pagefile.sys (allocated base size 2046MB)

GRAPHICS
NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX
Chip Type: GeForce 8800M GTX
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Memory: 512MB
BIOS: Version 62.92.19.00.A3
Driver provider: NVIDIA
Driver version: 6.14.12.6658
Driver date: 1-7-2011
Monitor 1: 1920x1200x32 60Hz (Primary monitor)

DISK VOLUMES
C: Local drive, NTFS, (186.30GB total, 76.16GB free)
D: Optical drive
F: Optical drive

DISK DRIVES
Diskdrev: Model ST9200420ASG (Size: 186.31GB)

OPTICAL DRIVES
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5540A
PQFO F8XEJ4LQBK5 SCSI CdRom Device

NETWORK
Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter

PORTS
Kommunikationsport: COM1 - RS232 Serial Port (max Baud rate: 115200)
Keyboard Port: Mini-DIN connector
Mouse Port: Mini-DIN connector
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835
- TouchStrip Fingerprint Sensor
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A
- ? ? (SN: ?)
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
- Wacom Co.,Ltd. MTE-450
- Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011 May 02, 20:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My space monster is a laptop and it shall always be a space monster to me. That said, I do realise that the 8800M GTX is not the newest card on the market, but unless I am stupider than I thought (I'll leave the option open), it's still among the top ten best videocards for laptops.

If you check the Nvidia website, the 8800M is no where near the top 10 laptop cards, it is archaic and bordering on falling into the obsolete class, there have been in excess of 40 Nvidia cards for Laptops since the 8800M, so it makes the top 50 cards, but just.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 build 2600 (32-bit),   (I tested with Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit both, same crashes)
1 x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9500 @ 2.60GHz,
3.0GB RAM,  (4 GB under win 7)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX,
186GB HDD,
DVD, DVD,

System should handle the game, but I would consider it marginal, and every time you add a new EP/SP it adds to the strain of the system, hence a borderline system may become unusable when you add extra EP/SPs to the game.  I don't believe the game supports multi-cores properly (may be wrong on this one) in which case the game will use one core of a multi-core processor.  The game requires 2.4 Ghz and you're running 2.60 Ghz, not much room for a safety buffer, especially given that AM does add a little extra system strain, but nothing exorbitant.

RAM seems Ok but not brilliant, and your harddrive is on the small side.

All of these things combined could be over stretching your system, and if you haven't been running an FPS limiter, you may just be overcooking your graphics card, hence the problem, or put another way, a slightly under performing system, plus over stressed graphics equals a meltdown.

Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011 May 02, 20:49:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't believe the game supports multi-cores properly (may be wrong on this one) in which case the game will use one core of a multi-core processor.
No, TS3 can use two cores.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 May 03, 04:27:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't believe the game supports multi-cores properly (may be wrong on this one) in which case the game will use one core of a multi-core processor.
No, TS3 can use two cores.

Handy to know, I had heard conflicting information about whether it did or not.

Daimon
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011 May 03, 08:20:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was running forced vsync on the game, yes -- having read Pescado's warnings about expensive videocards turning into expensive paperweights and all that. In other news, the repair shop has called back now and let me know that the issue is a fried motherboard, so the point is moot -- to an extent, because this means I am starting to look around for a new machine, and I definitely want to be certain that the next one is an even mutanter space monster from even outerer space. Nova Stingray, I have my eyes on you.

Anyhow, thank you all for input and help. As it turns out, there wasn't much sims-related to poke at, but I appreciate the effort. Now to start saving pennies for a new machine.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: