More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 06:32:48

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Sims 3 Motive Decay Project- WIP Looking for feedback and input.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims 3 Motive Decay Project- WIP Looking for feedback and input.  (Read 30628 times)
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Sims 3 Motive Decay Project- WIP Looking for feedback and input.
« on: 2011 March 23, 23:22:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am working on a mod to alter the way the game works with Decay rates. As it is, the game is just too easy for me. This is my main problem with it. Your sim can eat one apple and be good for two days, for example. Motives drop too slowly and fill too quickly and there's no reason to improve any of your furniture or even pay attention to your sim.

So to start, I'm messing with decay rates.

By default, decay rates GO SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER the lower a motive is. From -100 to -81, the hunger motive drops at less than 1 per hour. But from 100 to -31, it drops at almost 12 per hour. What this means is that a "starving" sim can "starve" for over 20 hours before they die. This is closer to realism, but it's also totally destroying the whole "gameplay" thing that, yes, is hidden in the game behind all the immortal sims who are fully satisfied from a damn apple.

In my initial test I made hunger drop at a constant rate. That way, when your sim was at 0 hunger, they were absolutely halfway to starving instead of 40 hours away from starving. In this experiment, it took 16 hours for my sim to go from 100 hunger to starving to death. That was with a decay rate of 12 per hour. So I need to make the rate a little faster if I want sims to have to eat more than once per day.

The thing is, should the decay rate be constant? Or should it slow the higher the motive is? Meaning if a sim eats food, and becomes full, they stay full for a while- perhaps with a decay rate of 10 from 100 to 60. Then when their motive is below 60, it goes to full speed (20, perhaps? That means 8 hours until starvation), meaning the more often you eat the less often you have low hunger motives. I'd also probably make negative hunger motives show up earlier so that you are encouraged to keep your hunger full and not let it go below the halfway mark.

I guess what I'm saying with all this explanation is I need ideas. In a harder more sims-1-style game, how would YOU like the motives to work? Constant rate? Slower when full? Negative moodlets showing up earlier? What do you think of these ideas?

Here is my test file which changes nothing but the Hunger and bladder decay rates to be constant (for all ages including baby, toddler, and elder, though the rates are different for them). Hunger drops at 12 per hour and bladder at 15. Hovering over the motives with AM installed tells you the current number and the rate of drop. This is to get a feel for how much faster the motive drops when it doesn't slow down.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1xfcl1345ckghg5
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Sims 3 Motive Decay Project- WIP Looking for feedback and input.
« Reply #1 on: 2011 March 23, 23:29:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By default, decay rates GO SIGNIFICANTLY SLOWER the lower a motive is. From -100 to -81, the hunger motive drops at less than 1 per hour.
That is how things worked in TS2, too. Sims take significantly longer to drop dead from starvation than they took to get to starving in the first place because...

This is closer to realism
Because yes, STARVING TO DEATH IN 16 HOURS IS RETARDED.

In my initial test I made hunger drop at a constant rate. That way, when your sim was at 0 hunger, they were absolutely halfway to starving instead of 40 hours away from starving. In this experiment, it took 16 hours for my sim to go from 100 hunger to starving to death. That was with a decay rate of 12 per hour. So I need to make the rate a little faster if I want sims to have to eat more than once per day.
Why *SHOULD* they eat more than once per day? That's way too often as it is! I, myself, only eat maybe every other day or so. No wonder Americans are so fat.

The thing is, should the decay rate be constant? Or should it slow the higher the motive is?
Hunger is FINE. If anything, sims still are overly obsessed by food. Really, the motive decay is fine. It's either fairly close to TS2-standards, or in some cases, slightly worse.

Here is my test file which changes nothing but the Hunger and bladder decay rates to be constant (for all ages including baby, toddler, and elder, though the rates are different for them). Hunger drops at 12 per hour and bladder at 15.
Bladder drops fast enough as it is. If you look at the numbers, sims last 15 hours before they piss themselves. That's actually worse than it was in TS2 by a small margin. If you make it much higher, a sim would be unable to withstand even a standard plane trip without pissing itself. Maybe some people have that problem, but I'm sure it's not the norm.

Really, the difficulty was NEVER WITH THE MOTIVES IN THE FIRST PLACE. For anyone who isn't a child, managing to stay alive is not really an achievement and shouldn't be. The reason the game is easy is because it's too easy to "succeed" rather than "fail", and failure at life means more than simply pissing yourself, which, unless you have the incontinent trait, is easy enough even for Celestard to avoid.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2011 March 23, 23:35:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, and making motives drop faster makes it harder to succeed.

This is how Sims 1 was. I went back to Sims 1 after getting frustrated with Sims 3 being far too easy, and realized the reason it was too easy is because of the motives. in Sims 1, you spend so much time managing motives that you rarely get a chance to work on skills (Although that was more because cheaper objects took forever to raise the motives, and less because of how fast they dropped, but I can't go through every single object and change these things.) If you have a job, it's even worse. You really NEED to buy better stuff to have an easier time. But in Sims 3, motives can all be filled in a very short time and then you have the rest of the day to make 10,000 simoleons with no troubles whatsoever.

So I'm trying to make things drop faster so you have to spend more time dealing with motives. I don't want my sims to be able to stand and fish at the river for 15 hours straight before they finally have enough bad moodlets that they refuse to do it anymore.
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 March 23, 23:38:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, and making motives drop faster makes it harder to succeed.

This is how Sims 1 was. I went back to Sims 1 after getting frustrated with Sims 3 being far too easy, and realized the reason it was too easy is because of the motives. in Sims 1, you spend so much time managing motives that you rarely get a chance to work on skills (Although that was more because cheaper objects took forever to raise the motives, and less because of how fast they dropped, but I can't go through every single object and change these things.) If you have a job, it's even worse. You really NEED to buy better stuff to have an easier time. But in Sims 3, motives can all be filled in a very short time and then you have the rest of the day to make 10,000 simoleons with no troubles whatsoever.

So I'm trying to make things drop faster so you have to spend more time dealing with motives. I don't want my sims to be able to stand and fish at the river for 15 hours straight before they finally have enough bad moodlets that they refuse to do it anymore.
Yes, but TS1 had no aging, so you had all the time in the world to skill, stupid shouty vole.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2011 March 23, 23:43:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know what I said that made it seem like I don't know that.

The goal here is to make it so that sims can't be level 10 of all skills and get to level 10 of 4 jobs and have a megamansion with one lifetime. The goal is to make it so sims can't constantly grind for skills and simoleons with 2 hour breaks to boost motives when they aren't sleeping. I thought some people may be interested. If you are not, I do not really...care.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 March 23, 23:47:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is how Sims 1 was. I went back to Sims 1 after getting frustrated with Sims 3 being far too easy, and realized the reason it was too easy is because of the motives.
You know the TS1 motives weren't actually that high, either. TS1 was still "one meal a day". In fact, the only difference was that sims peed even more. But the real reason TS1 was "harder" is simply because of the fact that sims were permanently moody and that was the only thing in the game, rather like TS2 without platinum mode. It wasn't the decay rates at all, merely that sims would bitch and moan about even the slightest less-than-perfectly-full bar. TS2 reduced this, and TS3 reduced this even more: Now sims aren't really concerned if they haven't peed in the last 5 minutes, as long it's not really bad. If you want to make it HARDER, just crank the difficulty multipliers in AwesomeMod.

The other reason TS1 seems harder? Dumber AI, and no Supreme Commander to handle your micromanagement for you, because I hadn't written anything for TS1. If we were still PLAYING TS1, there would be a Supreme Commander there, too, and you'd be moaning the game was easy again. Maybe you just really like difficulty-through-pointless-micromanagement-because-the-AI-is-really-stupid. Or maybe you're just a shouty vole.

Anyway, not a download, so moving out of the Pudding Factory.

The goal here is to make it so that sims can't be level 10 of all skills and get to level 10 of 4 jobs and have a megamansion with one lifetime. The goal is to make it so sims can't constantly grind for skills and simoleons with 2 hour breaks to boost motives when they aren't sleeping. I thought some people may be interested. If you are not, I do not really...care.
Set the lifespan to "shorter" and turn the skill and job difficulty up. Voila. Your sims are now permanently stupid and stuck in a dead-end job for life.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2011 March 23, 23:54:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The difficulty modifiers only apply to skills and jobs, dont they? With those upped, all that changes is I spend the same amount of time constantly grinding for skills, but it takes more grinding. So it's still super easy to get your mood up, and then you grind forever. :\
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 March 23, 23:55:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The difficulty modifiers only apply to skills and jobs, dont they? With those upped, all that changes is I spend the same amount of time constantly grinding for skills, but it takes more grinding. So it's still super easy to get your mood up, and then you grind forever. :\

'Cos doing it all manually is just so much fun.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 March 24, 00:07:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But that's difficulty for you. Does it really matter how your sims are doing it? No matter what you change, it's still simply a matter of turning on Supreme Commander and letting it run. The procedure doesn't change no matter what you do to the values.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2011 March 24, 00:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, yes, it very much does.

What you're proposing is making everything the same, but making the grinding take longer. The difference thre is you don't make as much money because you can't get promoted nearly as easily, so you take longer to get more stuff, which doesn't make things any easier. Bigger, better house = no real change whatsoever. Working to build a bigger home is meaningless.

What I am proposing is making the grinding take the same amount of time, but limiting how often you can grind by making the motives more urgent and something you need to deal with more often, and once you DO get more stuff, it gets easier to raise your motives, so you can grind more often. Bigger, better house = Faster, easier moneymaking. Working to build a bigger home has meaning.

I implore you, open The Sims 1 again and note how gradually you start to get better things, and the impact those better things have on how much easier it is to raise your motives. The Sims 3 does not work this way to nearly the same degree. Better stuff doesn't matter all that much because you can raise the biggest motives in no time (hunger, bladder, hygiene) with barely a difference between objects of higher or lower quality. That difference would be more meaningful if the motives had more of an impact on what you could do and when, as opposed to your sim only caring about anything when they're literally starving.
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 March 24, 00:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've stood and fished at the river for 15 hours straight before and my mood never goes down much. You should try it sometime: it's very relaxing. Maybe if you did that you wouldn't complain about stupid things in games that don't seem to bother anyone else in the world.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 March 24, 01:40:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aren't there already incentives to buy better stuff? For instance, a poor night's sleep, tastes like fridge, burned food, cold shower, clogged terlet, not to mention the significant differences in time spent sleeping, cooking, showering, etc.? It's the ease with which you can purchase premium items that's the problem. If it was more difficult/took longer to make money then each fab new item -- and the impact of it's perks -- would represent more of an accomplishment, right? But, oh look, Awesomemod has difficulty slides for just such a thing.

And if that's not enough, there's at least one mod that makes your bills larger.

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2011 March 24, 02:34:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I fucking know. I made it. And I spent quite some time working out the details tod etermine just how much harder the bills would make the game.

You guys are having an astoundingly difficult time understanding that I don't want grinding to take longer. I want grinding to take just as much time as it does now- but to be interrupted by motive issues. Like in. The sims. 1.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011 March 24, 03:03:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, you could mod it so the grinding would take longer and achieve much the same effect you're looking for.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 March 24, 03:08:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but if it was difficult to buy better items you would by default spend more time on your motives. It seems like you want career/skill advancement to take longer, but only due to the fact that your sim is, say, incontinent. There's no one forcing you to power play your sims. Have your sims waste time socializing or watching tv, and have them choose the least productive work tones.

"[M]embers of MATY do not realize how badly they are perceived by society, and that people are secretly mocking them in silence." -- cwurtz
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2011 March 24, 03:10:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I fucking know. I made it. And I spent quite some time working out the details tod etermine just how much harder the bills would make the game.

You guys are having an astoundingly difficult time understanding that I don't want grinding to take longer. I want grinding to take just as much time as it does now- but to be interrupted by motive issues. Like in. The sims. 1.

If you like TS1 so much, why not go back to it, forget TS3, and just leave this forum?

And wouldn't a pricing mod, that changes the prices of everything to make it larger, or the amount earned from everything lower, and then some mod to make bad moodlets worse, and Shimrod's 'No Elated' mod, all in combination, sortof do something like what you're ranting about?

Also, people made billing mods before you did, and probably did a better job, seeing as I've noticed a few complaints about your shifting TV mod crashing people's games, and I'm almost willing to bet your billing was as haphazard.

"Of two evils, choose the prettier."
cwurts
Retarded Reprobate

Oona Klostermann for senate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2011 March 24, 03:40:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if that's not enough, there's at least one mod that makes your balls larger.

The witch has been casting spells again?

Ha ha, anyway:  I don't think it's the rate of decay that needs to be tampered with.  The decay rates are perfect.  It's the rate at which motives are filled that is the problem.  I would like to see a starving sim have a light snack and stave off their starvation for a few hours without significantly filling the bar.  I would not like to see my sims go to work with a full stomach and come home on the verge of death.

Join the Oona Klostermann High Society Club
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2011 March 24, 04:02:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's just the thing. THese solutions are just not doable. You show me a program that can batch edit objects, or open every object at once and let me click through and change them and save them all at once, and I'll gladly multiply the prices of everything in the game. But at present that would take an unbelievably ridiculous amount of time. It's just not plausible. I did it already to every single tree in the game- and it took me hours, thanks largely in part to how s3oc does not hold a cache and has to load all the objects every single time. Doing it to every object in general? It's not going to happen.

Unless somebody can come up with a magic multiplier that auto-spends twice as much money on everything or something. I asked Pescado to look into such a multiplier and he had no interest, unfortunately.

As for motives filling too fast, that is also EXACTLY the problem. The dumbest, most incompetent sim can fillt heir hunger in an instant. Cooking skill is abso-fucking-lutely worthless except for moodlets. Things like that. But nobody seems to know how to fix that. i've wanted to retool the way hunger works since the week the game came out but have no idea where to start. I'd love it if an apple only filled 5 hunger and meals filled more or less based on the moodlets they gave. But nobody has really looked into this to get something like that to happen.

Moryrie- "I've seen people take issue with one of your mods, therefore I assume based on how sandy my vagina is today that your billing mod probably sucked too." One person reported an issue- one. And I could not reproduce it. Nobody else experienced it. It was an issue on their end. The only other dissenting comments on the TV was yours where you cried that boohoo you did it first and to other TVs.

Anyway, whatever. It's my idea. I want to do it. I think I'll enjoy the game more if I can't spend the whole game day skilling with no interruptions. I just thought other people might agree and would have some input. Apparently the input is "Thanks for trying to make the game a little more difficult, but fuck you, you are retarded because I don't like that idea."
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2011 March 24, 05:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's people who reported it to YOU vole. I've had the issue reported twice to me. Perhaps because I actually maintain my mods, where it seems you do not.

As for it taking hours.. what project worth doing doesn't? Also, its easier to bypass s3oc entirely and do it with s3pe only. Especially since you seem to edit your OBJDs incorrectly anyway.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2011 March 24, 05:25:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So...people are going to you to report issues with my mod because you made a similar one and they just happened to know this (but used mine instead despite yours doing more)?

Are you retarded or do you actually expect me to believe you?
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2011 March 24, 05:32:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. In both cases they'd forgotten they'd had your mod installed, didn't do a complete check of their mod folders, assumed it had something to do with my packages, and was causing crashes every time they attempted to go to the TV category. They PMed me asking me if I had issues, I said no, told them to try taking out mods... your TV shifting mods were the culprit.

jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011 March 24, 14:07:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011 March 24, 15:00:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's just the thing. THese solutions are just not doable. You show me a program that can batch edit objects, or open every object at once and let me click through and change them and save them all at once, and I'll gladly multiply the prices of everything in the game.
Of course, all this comes down to one thing: Your idea of increasing the difficulty is simply to add more grinding. Whether it's grinding motives, grinding skills, or grinding cash, ultimately the difficulty does not change, only the level of tedium where you repeat the same sequence of actions repeatedly for less and less gain. Unfortunately, this is not difficulty, since motives is a solved problem already. Throwing in more of an already-solved problem does not change the fact that the problem already has a trivial solution, implemented in a publicly available algorithm. Even if you turn sims into diabetics with narcolepsy, the problem is still a solved issue.

But if you want a hard game like that? You don't need to change any of the motive decays. Just play the sim with the traits you seem to already want it to have: Give it Incontinent, Narcolepsy, Stupid, Grumpy, and some other negative trait. Then tell me the game is still too easy.

Eeyore
Garrulous Gimp

Beware donkey poo.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011 March 24, 15:17:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Absent-Minded, so that it randomly fails at any given task unless you watch it every second of play.

spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011 March 24, 19:10:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Notice that he does not propose that it be made more difficult to have gay incest with your sim step-son.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: