More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 02:37:23

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  How To Tell If Graphics Card Is Aging (Updated)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How To Tell If Graphics Card Is Aging (Updated)  (Read 11298 times)
Ichigo
Corpulent Cretin

Hellbitch

View Profile WWW
How To Tell If Graphics Card Is Aging (Updated)
« on: 2011 March 18, 07:39:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So my absolute warrior of a graphics card runs TS3 very nicely, and TS2 was running picturesqely. Until recently. I switch from a TS3 play sesh to TS2, and I notice some rather jagged edges. Game still running great, but things have gotten a smooch blurry when zoomed out. Am I just paranoid, or is my old crusader losing momentum? If it is, does it hurt stuff?

EDIT: Alright, it got worse. I know it did. And since I still can't post a picture, this is an example of what I'm seeing.

Note the pointy arm of the lady and the crustiness of the dining chairs. I'm seeing that in my game, but worse. Holy fucking shit.
« Last Edit: 2011 March 26, 19:28:01 by Ichigo » Logged

ENFP. God help you all.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: How To Tell If Graphics Card Is Aging
« Reply #1 on: 2011 March 18, 08:31:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blurry when zoomed out is normal, the game intentionally renders things at lower quality when far away, and the "lot impostors" of neighboring lots other than your current lot is rendered at "Absolutely Shittastic" quality.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ichigo
Corpulent Cretin

Hellbitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2011 March 18, 08:41:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still getting such subtle prickliness at closer distances, and even things like the loading screens are looking jaggedy.  Undecided

ENFP. God help you all.
MarinatedPleasure
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 March 18, 10:22:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At some point, might you have reset the graphics to default? By default, everything is high except for smooth edges. If your graphics card is really fantastic, you probably thought to drag the slider for smooth edges all the way to 'more' at some point, but by default it's at 'less' (at least, that's how it is in my game). That would explain the subtle prickliness, as you put it.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 March 18, 11:13:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't smooth edges. That both increases the strain on your system and MAKES THINGS LOOK EVEN MORE BLURRY. Whoever came up with this idea utterly failed to understand the concept of "edges". Edges are supposed to be SHARP. This sign has SHARP EDGES. Do not touch the edges of this sign!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
MarinatedPleasure
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 March 18, 12:05:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that so? I hadn't realised. I don't smooth edges (my old, feeble graphics card would never be able to handle it), however, back a few years ago when my graphics card was just new, I smoothed edges and thought it looked brilliant but I probably only thought so because OOH PURDY SHINY GRAPHICS OPTION etc.
« Last Edit: 2011 March 18, 12:26:32 by MarinatedPleasure » Logged
Ichigo
Corpulent Cretin

Hellbitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2011 March 18, 12:18:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And these things are all well and understandable, but it seems as if though these things have increased. I might just be seeing things because buying a new graphics card so close to boyfriend's birthday smacks of DO NOT WANT.

ENFP. God help you all.
Leticron
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 March 18, 13:59:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One thing about graphics cards (and computers in general) that's easily overlooked by most:
they need to be cleaned once in a while (say once, better twice a year). Even more so if you have any kinds of furries in the house.
Increasing temperatures usually result in a slightly degraded picture quality at first.
Are you sure it's the graphics card tho? An aging CRT monitor for instance could be the culprit as well.

jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 March 18, 14:02:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

they need to be cleaned once in a while (say once, better twice a year). Even more so if you have any kinds of furries in the house.

I would never allow furries in my house, but I could see where those retarded fursuits would lead to cleanliness issues.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 March 19, 10:54:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And these things are all well and understandable, but it seems as if though these things have increased. I might just be seeing things because buying a new graphics card so close to boyfriend's birthday smacks of DO NOT WANT.
Are you sure you just don't need your vision checked? Try posting a screenshot. True graphics card artifacts create visible marks in the screenshot that will be visible to outsiders. Things like bad monitors, loose cables, and your poor vision, won't. If we can't see it, it ain't there.

Ichigo
Corpulent Cretin

Hellbitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2011 March 19, 11:16:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since I'm not on shiny beautiful gaming rig, thusly unable to post TS2 pictchas, can anyone give an example of said artifacts?

ENFP. God help you all.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 March 19, 13:48:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, green funny colored crap on your screen, etc. Things which indicate that the rendering logic has failed and genuine garbage is being generated, as opposed to stuff that doesn't actually really exist because the monitor is broken, your vision is bad, etc.

Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011 March 19, 23:10:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When my graphics card was dying, TS2 would frequently freeze and everything on the screen would explode in colourful crap. Actually, the whole machine froze and had to be rebooted. A couple of weeks later, the graphics card died. I could tell by the fact that Windows wouldn't start and my screen was covered in wonderful green and pink stripes.

If your graphics card is going, you'll know. It'll be more serious than slight bluriness. Are you sure you're not just remembering wrong because you're used to TS3 being more shiny?
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2011 March 20, 03:26:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ichigo - Graphics card seizure:

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
Ichigo
Corpulent Cretin

Hellbitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2011 March 20, 05:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Alright, I'm officially just seeing things. When I start seeing a tidalwave of MS-Paint shaded vomit, I'll know. BAHHHHHH.  Smiley

ENFP. God help you all.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: