More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 15:27:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Not recognizing expansions on fresh install
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Not recognizing expansions on fresh install  (Read 4795 times)
Kitten of Evil
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Not recognizing expansions on fresh install
« on: 2011 February 22, 19:23:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just installed all the expansions and SPs on a new Windows 7 computer, patching each game after installing it.  When I run the game (from the Mansion & Garden Stuff exe, since it's the most recent), it doesn't recognize BV, FT, and AL.  I get the following messages:
"You have uninstalled The Sims 2 Bon Voyage.  If you continue, all Sims will return from vacation and be refunded for any purchased vacation homes."
"You have uninstalled The Sims 2 FreeTime.  If you continue, hobby secret lots will be removed."
"You have uninstalled The Sims 2 Apartment Life.  If you continue, all apartment lots will be converted to residential lots and all apartment residents will be moved to the family bin."
The "expansion info" buttons in the top right of the neighborhood screen are greyed out for those three EPs.  Some clothes/hair/items/etc from these expansions show up in CAS and Build/Buy mode, and some are listed but appear invisible.  Belladonna Cove appears in the neighborhood select screen, but crashes the game if I try to play it. 
The Bon Voyage, FreeTime, and Apartment Life folders are intact in Program Files, are listed in Add/Remove Programs, and have entries under "EA GAMES" in the registry.
The registry key "EPsInstalled" under "EA GAMES/The Sims 2/" says "Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe,Sims2EP3.exe,Sims2EP4.exe,Sims2EP5.exe,Sims2EP6.exe,Sims2EP7.exe,Sims2EP8.exe,Sims2EP9.exe", which seems to be in order.
I tried uninstalling/reinstalling BV, FT, AL, and M&G and had the same result.  Is there anything I can do besides uninstalling everything and reinstalling again?
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
Re: Not recognizing expansions on fresh install
« Reply #1 on: 2011 February 22, 22:33:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Uninstall everything and start again with a fresh install in order, patching each one.  Then try setting your .exe file to run in Windows XP compatibility mode.  If you don't know what that is, your Windows 7 Help system will point the way.  I'm not guaranteeing this will fix it, but it's a good place to start.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
Re: Not recognizing expansions on fresh install
« Reply #2 on: 2011 February 23, 04:24:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt windows 7 is the issue as it worked fine for me on windows 7.

More likely the registry, or whatever, wasn't properly updated when those EPs were installed.  Before doing a full uninstall and reinstall, I would suggest trying to reinstall just those EPs first.  If a message appears about them already being installed ignore and tell it to install anyway.  That may fix whatever the game is missing to tell it that those packs are there.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: