More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 24, 14:05:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Computer Hardware issue - need help!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Computer Hardware issue - need help!  (Read 5453 times)
Slymenstra
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Computer Hardware issue - need help!
« on: 2011 February 20, 17:27:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So yesterday as I was playing the Sims 3 when all of a sudden the graphics went all square and rainbowed and my computer froze.  I shut it down, booted back up and tried to load Sims 3 again and I get white dot (snowflakes) on the loading screen which then freezes the computer.  This happens for all 3D games.

Researching the problem leads me to several problems like failing graphics cards, poor power supply, overheating...I am no computer expert, all of this is really overwhelming.

I updated all of my drivers (Sound, graphics, cpu) I opened it up and cleaned it out.  I checked the temps and everything read as not overheating.

My question is, does this sound like failed graphics card?  I have no problem getting a new one, but I want to be sure that is the problem.  What other things should I do to find out?  Since I really have no idea, should I take it to a Computer repair shop!?

My system: It is a Dell...ugh I know.

alienware Area-51 750i
3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-D 1.XX nVidia nForce 750i SLI
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter] (2x)
500 watt PSU
4GB of RAM

It is about 1 1/2 years old

If it is the graphics cards, can anyone tell me the highest graphics card I could install with my motherboard?  Dell recommended EVGA Geforce GT 220 1 GB.  But reading reviews and they say it is for low end gaming.  Can I go up to 400 series?

If you need more info let me know.  I really have no idea.  I just moved to this area and I lost the ability to get any computer friends to help!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I do wish I had the cash for a new system, but not possible at this time.
novelty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Computer Hardware issue - need help!
« Reply #1 on: 2011 February 20, 18:04:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would try running the game without CC and see if the problem goes away. (I know you said all 3D Games are getting the snowflakes, but doesn't hurt to check).

I checked the temps and everything read as not overheating.

Make sure you are checking these temps under load (with game or benchmark test running).  I'm assuming you're checking your cpu and gpu temps? Make sure your fans are actually running.

With minimal testing on a pretty non-standard set up, Sims 3 seems to thrash my gpu the most on the screen where you can choose the neighborhood.  It continues to thrash it on loading the neighborhood and then settles down pretty quickly after that.  

If things point to the GPU, reseating it may fix it if it's not really dying.

If you find yourself researching the power supply, irc, Dell rates their stock power supply differently than most.  You'd want to read about that difference. Not sure if that applies to alienware or not.

If you find it is the cpu overheating, it may be the heat sink compound.  Dell uses some pretty substandard stuff, even on their nicer models.
« Last Edit: 2011 February 20, 19:15:57 by novelty » Logged
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 February 20, 21:49:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would be wary of a 500watt power supply, it may be insufficient for your system.  Most manufacturer's, and Dell isn't any different, try to us the minimum they can because it is cheaper and means with a jacked up price they make more money.  I would highly recommend a new power supply first, something at least 750 watts, this may even be a necessity with a new graphics card anyway.

With minimal testing on a pretty non-standard set up, Sims 3 seems to thrash my gpu the most on the screen where you can choose the neighborhood.  It continues to thrash it on loading the neighborhood and then settles down pretty quickly after that.  

If things point to the GPU, reseating it may fix it if it's not really dying.

If you find yourself researching the power supply, irc, Dell rates their stock power supply differently than most.  You'd want to read about that difference. Not sure if that applies to alienware or not.

If you find it is the cpu overheating, it may be the heat sink compound.  Dell uses some pretty substandard stuff, even on their nicer models.

If your GPU is being thrashed, try running the FPS limiter, it will stop the GPU from being over heated and the fans from trying to reach orbit.

If it is a CPU issue, it would more than likely be clogged fins on the heatsink, restricting fresh airflow.  This is probably the most common cause of cooling issues within most systems.  The intake vents get clogged, the heatsinks get clogged, everything gets covered in dust which reduces the cooling efficiency of everything.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
novelty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 February 21, 00:40:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Merlin, out of curiosity, do the loading screens run differently than in game fps?  I have thought the heavy load (load not heat--fan at most runs at 50%) on the gpu at these times is a combination of my particular set up (linux + wine + I'm not a linux guru) and the fact the game is loading a bunch of graphics stuff.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 February 21, 01:03:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My question is, does this sound like failed graphics card?  I have no problem getting a new one, but I want to be sure that is the problem.  What other things should I do to find out?  Since I really have no idea, should I take it to a Computer repair shop!?
Yup, it's melted. One "miracle cure" you can try is baking the graphics card in the oven. It certainly won't get any more broken.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 February 21, 02:44:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If it's two graphics cards in SLI then maybe only one is busted.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 February 21, 07:43:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what happened to mine. Card 2 was fine but failure to have the frame limiter running killed card 1.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Slymenstra
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 February 21, 14:06:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay thanks for the comments.  I have used the fps limiter since it was discovered that the Sims 3 was running crazy fps.  I also clean it out often due to living in the desert and all this dust.  I will try to see if it is just one or both cards busted.  I do game pretty heavily!  I beta tested Rift and it sounded like a jet engine was taking off.  I just wish it wasn't so intimidating to take this thing apart.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 February 22, 00:46:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Merlin, out of curiosity, do the loading screens run differently than in game fps?  I have thought the heavy load (load not heat--fan at most runs at 50%) on the gpu at these times is a combination of my particular set up (linux + wine + I'm not a linux guru) and the fact the game is loading a bunch of graphics stuff.

Not really sure what FPS the game normally runs during the load-up, as I never checked.  Regular game play can drive the FPS in excess of 100, which will severely heat the card.  If the loading screens are running the same numbers and the extra load in the system from booting the different items may make things worse.

It may be possible that the fan/s you're hearing are the CPU and/or other system fans, as well as the GPU fan, as it registers a slightly higher work load during the load-up phase.  Most motherboards these days support variable speed fans so when the workload increases, rather than when the heat itself rises, the system will kick the fans in the guts for a little to offset a perceived heat build-up due to higher work load.  Much like the way the fans kick into high gear when you first turn on your computer, until the system reads everything properly and slows the fan speed to where it should be.

After using the FPS limiter I never noticed a change in the fan speeds during the loading phase of the game, or neighbourhoods.  This doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that if it does, it is such a minor change that I don't hear it anymore.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
novelty
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 February 27, 21:32:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not really sure what FPS the game normally runs during the load-up, as I never checked.  Regular game play can drive the FPS in excess of 100, which will severely heat the card.  If the loading screens are running the same numbers and the extra load in the system from booting the different items may make things worse.

It may be possible that the fan/s you're hearing are the CPU and/or other system fans, as well as the GPU fan, as it registers a slightly higher work load during the load-up phase.  Most motherboards these days support variable speed fans so when the workload increases, rather than when the heat itself rises, the system will kick the fans in the guts for a little to offset a perceived heat build-up due to higher work load.  Much like the way the fans kick into high gear when you first turn on your computer, until the system reads everything properly and slows the fan speed to where it should be.

After using the FPS limiter I never noticed a change in the fan speeds during the loading phase of the game, or neighbourhoods.  This doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that if it does, it is such a minor change that I don't hear it anymore.

Well, eh, thanks for the reply.  I have my system set up to report actual gpu load. (Roughly a 60% difference between load screens and game play). The fan speed I set manually to 25% or 50% to keep the card below 60C.  Displaying fps outside of the game play is  one of the (many) things I haven't figured out for linux.  I asked about the fps because I'd been trying to get an increase.  For any searchers that look to this thread --compiling to a 1000 Mhz kernel gave me a decent gain in fps.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: