More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 04:28:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  High resolution = Prettier game, but impossible to navigate catalog- Workaround?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: High resolution = Prettier game, but impossible to navigate catalog- Workaround?  (Read 20214 times)
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
High resolution = Prettier game, but impossible to navigate catalog- Workaround?
« on: 2011 February 05, 02:43:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt it, but I was wondering if there's any way to use a smaller UI for a bigger resolution (though I doubt the UI works in such a way), or make things forcibly bigger, or something...

I play at 1920x1080 and the UI is really really tiny, it doesn't grow to compensate or anything. I was hoping a higher res would mean bigger thumbnails (though now that I think about it, a lower res gets bigger thumbnails usually, I had it backwards) but instead I've got these tiny, worthless little things and it's impossible to navigate the catalog without leaning close to the screen or clicking each individual object to see the expanded view.

It doesn't help that the thumbnail lighting is horrendous. The light should be directed on the front of the object, but EA doesn't think that makes sense.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/968/ts3sp032011020421312124.jpg
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/149/ts3sp032011020421332693.jpg

No img tags on the pictures because at a lower resolution than 1920x1080 you're not going to be able to tell what the problem is anyway.
« Last Edit: 2011 February 05, 02:48:38 by Claeric » Logged
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

Mugged by an iceberg! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

View Profile
Re: High resolution = Prettier game, but impossible to navigate catalog- Workaround?
« Reply #1 on: 2011 February 05, 02:47:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you really populate your worlds with sims that look like that? Creepy.

AIDE to Assmitten | Ask Me How!
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
Re: High resolution = Prettier game, but impossible to navigate catalog- Workaround?
« Reply #2 on: 2011 February 05, 02:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried running the game at a LOWER RESOLUTION? That will fix the problem quickly.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 February 05, 02:54:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried running the game at a LOWER RESOLUTION? That will fix the problem quickly.

Then he can't admire his incestuous boytoys in full throbbing detail.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2011 February 05, 03:10:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, for one thing. 1920x1080 is the *only* 16:9 resolution, so...
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 February 05, 03:12:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, for one thing. 1920x1080 is the *only* 16:9 resolution, so...
1280x720.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2011 February 05, 03:14:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/111/resomolutions.png

Mind circling that one for me?

And before anyone says it, 16:10 or 85:48 is not "close enough"- any resolution other than 16:9 gets displayed on my monitor at 1:1, so in a box in the middle of the screen instead of over the whole screen. I think that's a pretty legit reason to be using the only existing 16:9 resolution.
« Last Edit: 2011 February 05, 03:24:34 by Claeric » Logged
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 February 05, 03:26:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's mean! Claeric looks like that.

Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 February 05, 03:36:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That makes it even creepier, to populate a world with personal clones.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 February 05, 03:37:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That makes it even creepier, to populate a world with personal clones.

Hello! Did you ever meet our friend Brynne?

spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 February 05, 03:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, that was the assumption I was working under. Which makes the whole thing not so much about simcest as self-love, eh? Oh what a magickal world of virtual onanism you hath wrought, EA!

Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2011 February 05, 04:06:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I fail to see the problem. My screen looks the same at 1650 x 1080 and I have no issues with the catalogue. I am unaware of a UI mod for the catalogue, which leaves you with:
1. Get used to it like everyone else who has been playing since 2009
2. Try adding the other 16:9 res to the .ini files
3. Drop to a lower res, and have bigger UI but black boxing
4. Buy another monitor.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2011 February 05, 04:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I fail to see the problem. My screen looks the same at 1650 x 1080 and I have no issues with the catalogue. I am unaware of a UI mod for the catalogue, which leaves you with:
1. Get used to it like everyone else who has been playing since 2009
2. Try adding the other 16:9 res to the .ini files
3. Drop to a lower res, and have bigger UI but black boxing
4. Buy another monitor.

The UI *isnt* bigger with a lower resolution and the black boxing, because it's displayed at 1:1. If anything, it becomes smaller. Significantly so.

2 is a legitimate idea, however.

Edit: Or not. Black box. :| I have no idea why it isn't forcibly upscaling, maybe it's a Catalyst Control Center setting.
Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2011 February 05, 05:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps the game just hates you.
Get one of those sheets of magnifying plastic.

spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 February 05, 05:10:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perhaps the game just hates you.
Get one of those sheets of magnifying plastic.

Yeah! Like in Brazil.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2011 February 05, 05:34:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought I found a setting that would fix it, but no luck. However, 1280x800 works and scales (for some reason, even though other 16:10 resolutions don't) and forcing 1280x720 doesn't seem to work- it reverts to 1024x768 (which also, for some reason, scales).

It doesn't look too bad but you can tell it's a little tiny bit distorted.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011 February 05, 10:22:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Might be time to go see an optometrist, a nice pair of goggles will fix all of those problems.  I don't see what you're complaining about, the UI looks fine and is perfectly readable/viewable without having to press my nose against the monitor.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011 February 05, 11:19:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed. People are dying out there, and you're wasting bandwidth throwing a tantrum over a choice of moar than 10 display options. Go and sit on the naughty step brat.
Seqkat
Senator

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011 February 05, 14:16:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed. People are dying out there, and you're wasting bandwidth throwing a tantrum over a choice of moar than 10 display options. Go and sit on the naughty step brat.

Argument fail. People are dying out there, and you're wasting bandwidth throwing a tantrum over Claeric throwing a tantrum over a choice of moar than 10 display options. Go and sit on the naughty step, brat. (Amended, because your version was kind of weird. Let's not encourage him.)

Accept that throwing a tantrum on the internet is, while probably not as important as helping all the people dying in the world right now, a valid thing to do. Otherwise, don't do it.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2011 February 05, 15:34:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The main problem is that when you're looking through a long list of extremely similar objects, it can be a little hard to tell at a glance what is what, especially with the size of the thumbnails and the poor lighting of their pictures. I'd like to be able to look at the catalog and be able to tell without trying too hard what any given item is, like in Sims 1 where, because of the way objects were made and the lack of true lighting, everything was extremely visible in the catalog.

It doesnt help that the CC and expansion icons are oversized.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011 February 05, 16:45:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Argument fail. People are dying out there, and you're

LOL. Response fail. What's wrong? Don't have an opinion of your own? And so must attempt to copy one from the plane above?
If you're going to flop that badly, at least be original.

almostawesome
Blathering Buffoon

Swag out the max

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011 February 05, 17:24:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL. Response fail. What's wrong? Don't have an opinion of your own? And so must attempt to copy one from the plane above?

*AlmostAwesome facepalms

She's parodying your own retarded argument. Please to be less stupid.

cwurts
Retarded Reprobate

Oona Klostermann for senate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2011 February 05, 18:59:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Argument fail. People are dying out there, and you're wasting bandwidth throwing a tantrum over Claeric throwing a tantrum over a choice of moar than 10 display options. Go and sit on the naughty step, brat. (Amended, because your version was kind of weird. Let's not encourage him.)

Accept that throwing a tantrum on the internet is, while probably not as important as helping all the people dying in the world right now, a valid thing to do. Otherwise, don't do it.
Well Seqkat, people are dying out there, and you're wasting bandwidth throwing a tantrum over Tizerist throwing a tantrum over Claeric throwing a tantrum over a choice of more (for your information) than 10 display options.  Now all three of you are blocking traffic in and out of the building.

Join the Oona Klostermann High Society Club
spockblock
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011 February 05, 19:30:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you really this dumb or is this some kind of fraternity hazing ritual?

Tap your toes twice for "yes." I'll alert the authorities.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011 February 05, 19:56:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play at 1920x1080 and the UI is really really tiny, it doesn't grow to compensate or anything. I was hoping a higher res would mean bigger thumbnails (though now that I think about it, a lower res gets bigger thumbnails usually, I had it backwards) but instead I've got these tiny, worthless little things and it's impossible to navigate the catalog without leaning close to the screen or clicking each individual object to see the expanded view.

I'm still incredulous about this statement - how long have you been using computers?  Higher resolution means you can fit more on the screen, hence things look smaller.  This is not rocket science or brain surgery.  Therefore the UI will naturally be smaller - this is supposed to be a good thing, so the UI does not fill the whole screen and block your view of the game, although considering the look of the sim in the picture, that might be what you're aiming for.

I suggest using a straightforward 800x600.  You can have a nice big UI and will never have to see that sim again.  Your game will look like crap, but run like melted butter.

Tribulatio proxima est
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: