More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 10:34:20

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Can someone help a newb? I'm prepared to be flamed.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can someone help a newb? I'm prepared to be flamed.  (Read 28563 times)
kissing_toast
Retarded Reprobate

AIDE to Jezzers

View Profile
Re: Can someone help a newb? I'm prepared to be flamed.
« Reply #25 on: 2011 January 14, 04:17:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"This den of snarks".  You can FEEL the pearls being clutched dramatically.
Dude. Stop clutching your pearls. You'll be able to flame people twice as fast if you type with both hands. Cheesy

We shouldn't be surprised if misinformation persists if our only answers to people's questions is LURK MOAR FUCKTARD and a string of dull, repetitive attempts at personal insults. There is a middle ground between "give a man a fish" and "strike a man repeatedly about the head and shoulders with a fish until he loses his taste for seafood."

And for all the misinformation in the Mare's Nest post, the one consistent comment which no one can deny, which many of you in fact brag about, is that most questions from new users are met with derision and personal attacks. Back when AM was the only mod in town, people who otherwise would avoid such conduct had to put up with that if they wanted to mod the game.  Now they have options. Better documented mods and more helpful communities around those mods.

The second biggest barrier to broader acceptance of AM is the instructions are outdated. If you follow the framework and AM instructions to the letter, you will not be able to keep your game running if you add one or more EPs. If there's no where to turn for advice without being flamed, people will drift elsewhere. You don't really expect anything else, do you?

If you want to keep losing "market share" to other mods, y'all are doing a great job. That's all I'm saying, along with telling the OP he/she has other options than to put up with substandard documentation and chickenshit.

I don't think there's a big enough piece of cheese to go with this WHINE, Ambular?

Cupcakes Taste Like Violence,KT_StoreFix

It's like a bowl of oranges, only one orange, is an orange of DOOM!
Billmonaghan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 2011 January 14, 04:57:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Additionally, your reference to "market share" is laughable;

Right! That's why I put it in quotes. I mean, it doesn't matter to me how many other people use AwesomeMod. As long as he keeps updating it, I'm gonna keep using it cuz it's a great tool and, fucktard that I am, I've had very little trouble keeping it working for some reason. AM made it possible for me to enjoy the game before I was able to give up Sims 2 style aging, and I am indebted to Pescado if only for introducing me to 3booter and saving me from frying more than one graphic card playing Sims 3.  I've read of some features in Twallan's mods that sound interesting to me, but nothing I'd give up AM for. And I'm guessing one of the reasons a lot of other mods aren't core mods is the developers know they can't be if they want to be compatible with AM. So, like, I'd rather see more people using AM than less, but it doesn't really matter to me.

"Ah yes, we were in the HimALLyas, had lost our corkscrew. Had to subsist for several days on nothing but water and food."
 --  W. C. Fields
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2011 January 14, 05:16:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I mean, it doesn't matter to me how many other people use AwesomeMod. As long as he keeps updating it, I'm gonna keep using it cuz it's a great tool and, fucktard that I am, I've had very little trouble keeping it working for some reason.

That's because it isn't that hard to actually use and keep working.

AM made it possible for me to enjoy the game before I was able to give up Sims 2 style aging, and I am indebted to Pescado if only for introducing me to 3booter and saving me from frying more than one graphic card playing Sims 3.  I've read of some features in Twallan's mods that sound interesting to me, but nothing I'd give up AM for. And I'm guessing one of the reasons a lot of other mods aren't core mods is the developers know they can't be if they want to be compatible with AM. So, like, I'd rather see more people using AM than less, but it doesn't really matter to me.

Most of Twallan's mods are non-core, I don't think he even has a core mod in his stable, and work nicely with AM if you use them, I don't, but plenty of people do.  I would differ that most developers simply don't need to make core mods as they can do what they want with simple XML tweaks or scripting mods, rather than specifically trying to stay compatible with AM.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2011 January 14, 11:16:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's also worth noting that the myth that you can't uninstall AwesomeMod from a game is SIMPLY NOT TRUE. There's a REASON we have a console command helpfully named "UNINSTALL".

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Billmonaghan
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 2011 January 14, 14:34:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's also worth noting that the myth that you can't uninstall AwesomeMod from a game is SIMPLY NOT TRUE. There's a REASON we have a console command helpfully named "UNINSTALL".

That statement varied from my experience, too. But early on I seem to remember warnings here that certain AM features, if enabled, would render any subsequent Saved Games AM-dependent. I don't see any such warnings when RingTFM now, so I don't know if that's outdated information, something I misread here or misinformation I picked up somewhere else while deciding whether I wanted to use AM. I'm pretty sure I read it here, though, in relation to some feature(s) that were clearly labeled experimental at the time.

"Ah yes, we were in the HimALLyas, had lost our corkscrew. Had to subsist for several days on nothing but water and food."
 --  W. C. Fields
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011 January 14, 19:28:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those warnings no longer apply if you use the Uninstall command. Using some of the more complex options and then just deleting the mod, however, can leave your game in a state similar to how your computer reacts if you suddenly yank out its hard drive while it is running. Depending on which drive you yank, it may react badly. This is basically true of any mod that adds an interaction that a sim can be saved in the middle of: Yanking the interaction code will result in the game becoming confused and doing godknowswhat.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
catsahoy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011 January 21, 10:52:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

aerokenetic,

You've just encountered two or three of the reasons people seeking mods should look into using Twallan's mods and shunning this den of snarks and this core mod.

http://themaresnest.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/when-a-mod-becomes-a-sod/

Den of sharks > Den of emo cutters
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2011 January 23, 18:08:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate it when people post diatribes like those and disallow comments. Basically every point she makes is easily refuted. Awesomemod can be uninstalled. You do not need to wait indefinitely for an updated Awesomemod...you can either use the version in testing basically hours after a patch is release, or don't patch until the new official is out, or you can uninstall Awesomemod. I've never been barred from playing my game because of an incompatibility. In fact, the only reason I was ever kept from playing was because EA's patches tend to do a hack job periodically and I've had to reinstall twice after patching due to errors.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: