More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:20:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Half of Bridgeport Sims stand around, doing nothing..
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Half of Bridgeport Sims stand around, doing nothing..  (Read 58022 times)
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Half of Bridgeport Sims stand around, doing nothing..
« Reply #25 on: 2010 November 24, 04:15:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, before I got my new computer, I did the research into how upgradeable it could be.

By "research" of course, I mean, "Ask Skadi."  Cheesy
Pshh, forget that and build them yourself. It ain't hard, it's like Legos.

Building your own can get tricky. Sometimes it's easier to pay a premium to someone who knows what they are doing to make a gaming machine. I <3 my Alienware desktop. Yes, I spent a LOT of money on it. Yes, I probably could have gotten the exact same box for a lot cheaper. But, it's worked perfectly since I pulled it out of the box. The one time it didn't work perfectly, a quick call to tech support resolved the issue (my video card died, I had a new card two days later).

I can't say the same for any of the computers I've ever built, or the computers my husband has built. Both of us have been building computers for about twenty years now, but none of them has been as hassle free as these boxes we bought from a gaming machine builder.

(HEY JEZ, HOW BIG IS YOUR MONITOR? I HAVE FORGOT.)
So you're saying you don't know what you're doing after 20 years? One bad experience is not enough to knock PC building altogether.

I've only built two PCs (and only one was mine, the one I am using now) and I have not had any problems with either of them. Although I have been tinkering with my old PCs for my whole life, so maybe my knowledge is not the same as someone just following instructions.

I've actually had more problems with the numerous Dell systems my family has owned. (and Alienware is owned by Dell, btw) They're overpriced, use low-quality proprietary parts, and lock you out of many motherboard features.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010 November 24, 04:38:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if it were a desktop most non-gamers have cheap shit like Dell which may not have the PSU wattage, case capacity, or proper slots to upgrade.
I have a Dell. While it needs a complete upgrade starting with the motherboard by my standards (I've had two years of being mostly unemployed and struggling, so getting a new computer came a distant 20th or so behind making rent and getting enough groceries to avoid starvation), it's not that hard to upgrade a Dell. Three years ago, I doubled the RAM, tripled the PSU, got a great graphics card (which is middling now) and a super-fast rewritable CD/DvD drive for about $350. It wasn't hard at all to find fitting parts and my case still has plenty of room in it. That's even if I hadn't broken the front face of it going all hulk-angry when the damned thing wouldn't snap off properly.

My personal preference is to get a unit on clearance or refurbed that has at least half the specs I'm looking for. For example, one with great hard drives and processor, but crap PSU and graphics card since it's doubtful I'd not want to upgrade those anyway. That way I don't have to deal with building from scratch and I have a shiny new case, but it does what I want it to do for cheaper than I could have bought it completely premade at.

The fact is that Anaelir's problems are caused by stretching a unit beyond its means. If she doesn't want to upgrade or replace her unit, that's her prerogative (hello, $$$). However, saying that it worked before LN so now that it has LN and doesn't work that means that something must be wrong with the game code...now that's just stupid. The more shit you put on your unit, the more graphics and files it has to pull from to run a particular program, the more it is going to be taxed. This is basic and has remained constant through the Sims genre. And, hell, every other game series that features expansions.
« Last Edit: 2010 November 24, 04:43:46 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010 November 24, 05:02:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Even if it were a desktop most non-gamers have cheap shit like Dell which may not have the PSU wattage, case capacity, or proper slots to upgrade.
I have a Dell. While it needs a complete upgrade starting with the motherboard by my standards (I've had two years of being mostly unemployed and struggling, so getting a new computer came a distant 20th or so behind making rent and getting enough groceries to avoid starvation), it's not that hard to upgrade a Dell. Three years ago, I doubled the RAM, tripled the PSU, got a great graphics card (which is middling now) and a super-fast rewritable CD/DvD drive for about $350. It wasn't hard at all to find fitting parts and my case still has plenty of room in it. That's even if I hadn't broken the front face of it going all hulk-angry when the damned thing wouldn't snap off properly.
I know, my previous PC was a frankenstein of a Dell too. Many of them, however, are slim low profile cases, which cannot be upgraded to anything decent and there's not a damn thing can be done about it.

The fact is that Anaelir's problems are caused by stretching a unit beyond its means. If she doesn't want to upgrade or replace her unit, that's her prerogative (hello, $$$). However, saying that it worked before LN so now that it has LN and doesn't work that means that something must be wrong with the game code...now that's just stupid. The more shit you put on your unit, the more graphics and files it has to pull from to run a particular program, the more it is going to be taxed. This is basic and has remained constant through the Sims genre. And, hell, every other game series that features expansions.
Yeah, especially in TS2... every new expansion pack added makes the load time so much longer. It's more data to process and her RAM/CPU may not be up to the task.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010 November 24, 07:38:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Narmy, I built my second computer from the ground up.  I didn't twirl my hair around my finger and giggle until a big, strong computer person helped me.  Skadi was familiar with my new computer's processor type and willing to give me advice on upgrading it.

Jesslla, it's 21.5" widescreen.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
anaelir
Asinine Airhead

No.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010 November 24, 12:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh. Lesson learned.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010 November 24, 13:18:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do know what I'm doing, I'm not as good as Skadi, but if I wanted to I am perfectly capable of building my own computer. However, I choose to spend extra money to have someone else do all of the research, testing, and actual assembly. Afterall, I wanted a computer that not only worked, but worked REALLY WELL. Alienware delivered. As for being "EW DELL OWNS THEM", yeah, but they don't sell repackaged Dell computers, they sell Alienware computers which, aside from possibly sharing some of the hardware, are two compltely different things.

Oh, and, for the EW DELL SUCKS ALL THEIR COMPUTERS ARE HORRIBLE crowd, Dell has the same failure rate of all of the other computer manufacturers (about 20%).

Lastly, sometimes expansions have higher requirements than the base game. Back in Ye Olde TS2 Days I could run the base game and Uni just fine, but when the second expansion (Nightlife?) came out I had to upgrade my video card, because the system specs had been changed.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010 November 24, 14:46:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Narmy, I built my second computer from the ground up.  I didn't twirl my hair around my finger and giggle until a big, strong computer person helped me.  Skadi was familiar with my new computer's processor type and willing to give me advice on upgrading it.

Jesslla, it's 21.5" widescreen.
Misunderstanding then. "Upgradeable" implies to me a pre-built that you can swap parts out later, although in retrospect I see how it could be anything.

Afterall, I wanted a computer that not only worked, but worked REALLY WELL. Alienware delivered.
That's just marketing nonsense, Alienware doesn't work better than any other pre-built or custom computer. There are even websites where you can choose custom parts and have them assemble and ship it to you, for a fraction of the Alienware price.

But hey, if you want to pay a premium price for a tacky case and a false sense of security, it's your money.
Seqkat
Senator

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010 November 24, 15:51:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Misunderstanding then. "Upgradeable" implies to me a pre-built that you can swap parts out later, although in retrospect I see how it could be anything.

Afterall, I wanted a computer that not only worked, but worked REALLY WELL. Alienware delivered.
That's just marketing nonsense, Alienware doesn't work better than any other pre-built or custom computer. There are even websites where you can choose custom parts and have them assemble and ship it to you, for a fraction of the Alienware price.

But hey, if you want to pay a premium price for a tacky case and a false sense of security, it's your money.

Given the first part of the above quote, you might want to make sure you are reading things more carefully before you start sniping - you have already been caught out there once. Jesslla has said that her computer works REALLY WELL, which is what she wanted, and thus is happy with what she bought. That has nothing to do with working better than anything, and so your 'retort' is irrelevent.

Your second point is better, but given that Jesslla has already explained what she was happy to pay more for, is still fairly stupid.

In sum: READ BETTER. Were you homeschooled?

Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010 November 24, 16:01:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Given the first part of the above quote, you might want to make sure you are reading things more carefully before you start sniping - you have already been caught out there once. Jesslla has said that her computer works REALLY WELL, which is what she wanted, and thus is happy with what she bought. That has nothing to do with working better than anything, and so your 'retort' is irrelevent.

Your second point is better, but given that Jesslla has already explained what she was happy to pay more for, is still fairly stupid.

In sum: READ BETTER. Were you homeschooled?
Ahem. All computers with powerful components work "REALLY WELL", it doesn't matter how much money you throw at it. Implying that an Alienware works better than a homebrew....:

I can't say the same for any of the computers I've ever built, or the computers my husband has built. Both of us have been building computers for about twenty years now, but none of them has been as hassle free as these boxes we bought from a gaming machine builder.
Is just plain wrong.
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010 November 24, 16:08:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Implying that an Alienware works better than a homebrew....:

Is just plain wrong.

Except that jesslla isn't "implying" anything. She is stating that the Alienware SHE bought is better than the computer's SHE'S built. She is talking about her personal experience, so who are you to call her a liar? Mon Dieu, could you at least try to get your head around basic reading comprehension before you get on your DIY high horse?

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010 November 24, 16:19:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is just plain wrong.

Except that jesslla isn't "implying" anything. She is stating that the Alienware SHE bought is better than the computer's SHE'S built. She is talking about her personal experience, so who are you to call her a liar? Mon Dieu, could you at least try to get your head around basic reading comprehension before you get on your DIY high horse?
When did I call her a liar?
soozelwoozel
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010 November 24, 16:30:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is just plain wrong.

"Implying that an Alienware works better than a homebrew [...] is just plain wrong."

Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010 November 24, 16:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is just plain wrong.

"Implying that an Alienware works better than a homebrew [...] is just plain wrong."
That's misinformation, not lying.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010 November 24, 16:32:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, now you're just splitting hairs.  No, you didn't come right out and say "ZOMG, LIES!!!!!" when Jesslla stated she found an Alienware computer to be less hassle-y than ones she had built herself, but you did say that statement was incorrect.  Because you apparently possessed Jesslla at some point in the past and lived her life for several years and thus have a better understanding of her personal experiences.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010 November 24, 16:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, now you're just splitting hairs.  No, you didn't come right out and say "ZOMG, LIES!!!!!" when Jesslla stated she found an Alienware computer to be less hassle-y than ones she had built herself, but you did say that statement was incorrect.  Because you apparently possessed Jesslla at some point in the past and lived her life for several years and thus have a better understanding of her personal experiences.
You're right, I'm not trying to convince her that her decision was wrong, and for that I apologize.

However, if the OP was interested in buying a new computer to play TS3 properly, Alienware is the worst $ vs quality (pre-built) suggestion there is. I don't really think the OP cares much at this point though, so that makes the whole debate pointless.
anaelir
Asinine Airhead

No.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010 November 24, 18:16:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't really think the OP cares much at this point though, so that makes the whole debate pointless.

True, true. Although this information is somewhat useful, you know, in case I win the lottery or something so I can actually afford a better desktop and/or laptop and/or graphics card.
« Last Edit: 2010 November 24, 19:15:15 by anaelir » Logged
bzrburns
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010 November 25, 00:43:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found something similar last night. It started with the vehicles for the maid and the repairman being stuck in front of my Sim's house. After deleting them I discovered all of these funky Big Lemon's and Sloppy Jalopy's just abandoned everywhere clogging up the city's streets. For every one of them that I deleted another 2 appeared. Lastly, I discovered this huge crowd in front of the Movie Studio http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa420/bzrburns/Screenshot.jpg[/img]]
I have 6144 MD Ram and here are my specs. http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa420/bzrburns/specs.jpg[/img]]  I am using the Overwatch mod.
unknownlUser
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010 November 25, 15:55:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're receiving the Bliss, so of course everything else has to come to a standstill.

bzrburns
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010 November 25, 16:52:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is kind of "Close Encounter" spooky, huh? I used NRAAS's Mastercontroller to reset the lot and to get rid of all the 214 derelict cheap cars clogging up the city's streets but the game play is still sluggish and laggy. I've invested in 15 Sim weeks in this game and my band has only had 3 gigs. I'm going to try backing up my game and deleting it from the documents folder to see if a clean install will get rid of whatever is causing this. However, does it look like I have some kind of hardware deficiency or is this just some kind of frakked up bad programming on EA's part?
Cucumberpie
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010 November 25, 17:45:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

computer's
computer's
computer's

Et tu, sooze?

* Cucumberpie stabs herself to death with a misplaced apostrophe.
soozelwoozel
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010 November 25, 17:53:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

computer's
computer's
computer's

Et tu, sooze?

* Cucumberpie stabs herself to death with a misplaced apostrophe.

Jeez, I dunno what has come over me recently. I think I posted that on the same day I wrote a line to SK in IRC which was basically "the cat's sat on the mat's". Perhaps my subconscious is feeling particularly possessive and greedy at the moment and thus is stamping apostrophes all over the place.

Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010 November 25, 17:59:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is kind of "Close Encounter" spooky, huh? I used NRAAS's Mastercontroller to reset the lot and to get rid of all the 214 derelict cheap cars clogging up the city's streets but the game play is still sluggish and laggy. I've invested in 15 Sim weeks in this game and my band has only had 3 gigs. I'm going to try backing up my game and deleting it from the documents folder to see if a clean install will get rid of whatever is causing this. However, does it look like I have some kind of hardware deficiency or is this just some kind of frakked up bad programming on EA's part?
You haven't posted your CPU, but considering that you actually have a good GPU (unlike 90% of computers these days), your other specs should be fine.  It's just that Bridgeport seems to generate a ridiculous number of derelict vehicles for god knows what reason.  You are certainly not the only one to experience this.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
Demise
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010 November 25, 18:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a 3ghz quad core processor, a 1gb 8800 Nvidia graphics card, and 8gb of ram. Other than experiencing a flavor of this problem, I have had no issues running this game or experiencing slowdowns. And yet, I too seem to have issues with multiple sims in Bridgeport standing around doing nothing. Every now and then, as in, once every couple (real life) days, I'll spot five or so sims standing at the back of the city hall building, doing absolutely nothing as their motives decay away. If I do not reset them, they will eventually die. The first time I noticed this was when my sim was going in to work, and stopped to mourn the multiple dead sims laying on the steps.

I'm hesitant to say that it's my computer specs causing me problems, although I have not CFF'd any extra memory towards the game, as I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary. Just throwing it out there that it's not just stone age computers that seem to be having problems. I'll document it more thoroughly next time it happens, instead of just resetting them all. I didn't know there were other people experiencing anything like this until checking this thread, so I assumed it had been a mod conflict of some kind.
Narmy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010 November 25, 19:00:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm hesitant to say that it's my computer specs causing me problems, although I have not CFF'd any extra memory towards the game, as I was under the impression that it wasn't necessary. Just throwing it out there that it's not just stone age computers that seem to be having problems. I'll document it more thoroughly next time it happens, instead of just resetting them all. I didn't know there were other people experiencing anything like this until checking this thread, so I assumed it had been a mod conflict of some kind.
Do you have many mods installed? I've never had that problem in Bridgeport and I have very few mods besides AM.

I think the people who do have this problem should post all relevant information, maybe a link will become apparent.
Demise
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010 November 25, 19:16:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have many mods installed? I've never had that problem in Bridgeport and I have very few mods besides AM.

I think the people who do have this problem should post all relevant information, maybe a link will become apparent.

I have awesomemod, obviously. Fully up to date and functional. I have Master Controller, Overwatch, Nointro, no mosaic (updated for late night), the birth control mirror, and Anach's Rich Value/Teen woohoo mods. I have multiple Stylist Sims objects, and multiple hair/skin/makeup mods, and everything from the Store. If I install mods that fall into the build category, windows, ect, they tend to make my load save game window hang, so I have nothing of that type. (A different issue I have made no effort to fix as I make do without.) All of these number less than 30, and have been fully decrapified before they were installed. I have all expansions, all stuffs, and everything is patched, up to date, and operational.

The next time I see this happen in my game, I will document it further. I'll add one of the sims to my household and see if it is a particular action they are stuck on, something I hadn't bothered to check. Unfortunately it doesn't happen very often so it might be a while before I am able to give any more information. I also haven't played any other neighborhood than Bridgeport so I can't tell you if it has happened in any other neighborhood.

Just wondering additionally, if I am the only person who has had multiple sims actually die during this error? As it only occurs on my the steps of my sims place of work, I usually notice it when my sim goes into work and pauses to mourn the many bodies. Also is there any way I can check what processes/files my game is accessing? Perhaps if there is I can check to see if my game is shitting any particular kind of brick at the time.

Edit: One other thing. I did install this. But it was after I had already experienced this bug once. It failed to address the issue, though I was pretty sure it wouldn't have much effect. It was properly installed and has had no real impact on my game, positive or otherwise. But just in case there is a connection..
« Last Edit: 2010 November 25, 19:25:53 by Demise » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: