More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 09:36:52

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Facts & Strategery
| | |-+  Editing "hidden" rooms in Late Night.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Editing "hidden" rooms in Late Night.  (Read 29568 times)
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
Editing "hidden" rooms in Late Night.
« on: 2010 October 29, 15:33:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As anyone who has tried to edit their apartments in TS3: LN knows, the pesky "homeowners association" won't let you make any changes outside of your apartment. You can't edit hidden rooms, you can't even see inside them!

You can toggle this annoyance by using the "restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off/on" cheat. Now you can see the hidden room and skip level markers, remove them, edit the apartment to take over the whole floor, destroy things, and generally run amok.  

You may need to use "testingcheatsenabled true" before using the restrictbuildbuyinbuildings cheat. I almost always have that cheat enabled.
« Last Edit: 2010 October 29, 15:41:55 by jesslla » Logged

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Re: Editing "hidden" rooms in Late Night.
« Reply #1 on: 2010 October 29, 15:48:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is basically the "Building your own apartments" thread but with less information.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 October 29, 16:27:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And you wonder why you're in the TARDERDOME? HUR DUR.

Hmm, funny, I couldn't find any mention of the actual cheat to use anywhere in the building your own apartments thread. Only claims of once a hidden room marker is placed there is no way to remove it, and this is useful on all lots with a hidden room or skip level marker, not just apartments.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010 October 29, 16:57:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The apartment topic mentions "RBBB Off", which is the same cheat, but I suppose that isn't exactly obvious.

But the first response in the topic? It *was* a post by me, explaining that RBBB Off doesn't work for everyone, and to use RestrictBuildBuyInBuildings False, which is in fact the same exact cheat.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,19289.msg556594.html#msg556594

So there actually is mention of the cheat, just a different version of it (though you cant be blamed for not knowing it's the same one), and there was mention of the cheat you posted here, but someone found it unhelpful and removed it. Isn't that fun?

I'm not faulting you or trying to be a smartass or anything, don't get me wrong. I just think it's funny.
« Last Edit: 2010 October 29, 17:03:27 by Claeric » Logged
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 October 29, 17:09:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well my game doesn't even agknowledge the cheat rbbb off.
And restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off doesn't get rid of the homeowners association bug.
Viscount
immortelleMuse
Blathering Buffoon

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 October 29, 17:22:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe the actual cheat is "restrictbuildbuyinbuildings true/false" not "on/off."

No matter how old you are, no matter how badass you think you are, if a toddler hands you their ringing toy phone-- you answer it.
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 October 29, 18:15:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My game accepts both. Nevertheless, the off version allows me to delete floor tiles in highrises, so it certainly does something.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 October 29, 20:00:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not faulting you or trying to be a smartass or anything, don't get me wrong. I just think it's funny.

I'm not faulting you or calling you a dumbass or anything, but a lot of people don't trust you as a source of information. See also: ZephyrZodiac. I don't think this is funny. Wait, yes I do.

This topic will be more searchable now by people who don't know the cheat code, and do know jessllama as a credible source, which is useful. And more people have come in with additional information. WHY, it's a discussion topic now.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 October 29, 20:06:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The ex-computer-nerd in me wonders if on/off and true/false are interchangeable. In theory they should be, since on/true and off/false are synonyms and both of them denote binary status, but on/off may be easier for non-computer nerds to remember and understand (for once I'm not trying to insult the computer illiterate). 

I also wonder if turning on testingcheatsenabled first is necessary or not. I should do more testing. Cheesy

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2010 October 29, 20:15:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

testingcheats is necessary for the long version, not sure about RBBB since that one does not work for me.
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 October 29, 20:35:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Further testing on my game has revealed the following:

testingcheatsenabled does need to be set to true/on before using restrictbuildbuyinbuildings.

True/on and false/off are equivalent. This means that either version will be accepted by your game. Use whatever is easiest to remember for you.

rbbb is only an abbreviation of restrictbuildbuyinbuildings, used by that person on the BBS, probably only as shorthand. AFAIK there is no such actual cheat, and should be considered the same as saying "boolprop" when referring to "boolprop testingcheatdenabled true" or whatever the heck it was in TS2. Sorry, you've got to actually type and spell it correctly. Please feel free to prove me wrong by looking through the code. I lack that skill, and don't give a shit about learning it either.

Erry
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 October 30, 00:33:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

rbbb [on|off] shows up in the readme.txt file but the thing is, it doesn't work in my game. I don't know about others' games, though.

rbbb [on|off] or RestrictBuildBuyInBuildings [true|false]: Allows
editing of any lot with a public room marker on it.

"I go to his page and I see 'Hot Lesbians' as a tab... keep your sex life to yourself, bitch."
ciane
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 November 05, 21:58:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI, rbbb on/off works great on my Vista system.
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 November 05, 23:38:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It also works for me on XP.
socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 December 06, 04:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is editing "hidden" rooms only available when apartments are not occupied?  I am able to edit, using "testingcheatsenabled true" with "restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off", but when I try to get back to "live" mode, I get the unending circle of pending... without ever getting to the live mode.

As an aside to shouty ones, THIS is the information for which I am seeking, not information about building my own apartment.  I want information on editing an existing apartment; different concepts with similar information, but different none-the-less.

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
Versus
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 December 06, 04:58:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is editing "hidden" rooms only available when apartments are not occupied?  I am able to edit, using "testingcheatsenabled true" with "restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off", but when I try to get back to "live" mode, I get the unending circle of pending... without ever getting to the live mode.

As an aside to shouty ones, THIS is the information for which I am seeking, not information about building my own apartment.  I want information on editing an existing apartment; different concepts with similar information, but different none-the-less.
Deleting NPC doors causes that issue. Just move them off to the side instead.
socurious
Exasperating Eyesore

Loki Craptastic!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 December 07, 03:36:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Versus, thanks a lot for the insight!  Moving the doors instead of deleting them worked.  Who'd a'thunk?

..."you should certainly be well-read in a subject before you pass judgement on it," Solowren
Klinn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 December 07, 18:12:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I ran into an odd situation where I could not even reach the hidden floors of an existing apartment to edit them. It was the white Maloney building, which has a small apartment in the basement and the three top floors have Skip Floor markers only.

Yes, I had activated the appropriate cheat commands, but not matter what I did, I could never see inside the shell to reach the upper floors. It just skipped from the lobby to the roof, the behavior one would expect while in Live mode, not Build mode. By chance, I pulled out another shell from the BuyDebug group but cancelled before placing it. After that, I could see the three upper floors of the Maloney building just fine. Very odd.

I tried to duplicate the bug in a fresh game of Bridgeport and from a previous save point, but it never happened again.

Only thing I can think of is that before that bug appeared, I was hopping from building to building with "Build On This Lot" to see how they were put together. After 10 buildings or so, perhaps some memory leak or something led to the problem. Or am I missing something obvious?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: