More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 17:12:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Why Are Beach Lots So Damn Difficult?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Why Are Beach Lots So Damn Difficult?  (Read 4764 times)
SlickCee
Asinine Airhead

~Rainbows, butterflies, & happiness~

View Profile
Why Are Beach Lots So Damn Difficult?
« on: 2010 September 03, 01:28:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You spend all this time downloading all these wonderful beach lots only to go into the game and they refuse to be placed anywhere. You test hundreds of terrains that specifically state "BEACH LOTS!!!!!11111" and yet the only one that they agree with is freaking Maxis made Moon Islands. The empty beach lot templates place fine otherwise, but the ones with stuff actually built on it refuse to turn from that red square.

Why is this? And is there any way I can fix this with that edit neighborhood cheat?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Why Are Beach Lots So Damn Difficult?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 September 03, 01:44:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason beach lots are nearly impossible to download and use is because most beaches, by their very nature, violate the #1 commandment of lot-making: FLAT EDGES. Therefore, most beach lots are intrinsically warped and can only be placed on terrain that matches their original placement.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 September 03, 03:52:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Empty beach lots will place without any problem because they have no predefined slope.  Instead, the game sets the slope of the lot to match the neighborhood terrain.

The problem with downloaded lots is that the slope of your lot is too out-of-whack with the slope of your neighborhood.  If you know whether you have too much slope or too little, you might be able to use the neighborhood terrain editing tools to modify the neighborhood terrain.  Once the terrains are similar enough, you should be able to place the lot in the neighborhood, but you may still experience crashing problems when entering the lot.  This crashing problem can be resolved by using the LotAdjuster to adjust the lot edges so that they match the neighborhood terrain before entering the lot.  Once the edges match exactly, you should have no further problem *in that location*.

If you were comfortable using SimPE, you could add the lot to the neighborhood using SimPE, set the appropriate x, y, and z coordinates, then use the LotAdjuster to match the edges of the lot to the location that you've chosen.  However, this is definitely an advanced technique.
« Last Edit: 2010 September 03, 03:57:53 by Mootilda » Logged

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
SlickCee
Asinine Airhead

~Rainbows, butterflies, & happiness~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 September 04, 16:05:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So..., the general consensus is just to build your own   Tongue
 I want to try your suggestion Mootilda but my game isn't the most reliable(especially when it comes to my neighborhoods). The SimPe version sounds more appealing actually, I practically lived in that program a couple of months ago. Eh. Maybe once I get the patience I'll take a go at it.
Thanks for your responses!
Mootilda
Dead Member

Reluctant Modder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 September 04, 17:55:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an article which will walk you through adding a lot to a neighborhood using SimPE:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=275135

Note that the article is for Castaway Stories, so the information about lot rotation and roads isn't correct for TS2.  I have information on TS2 lot rotation, orientation, and roads here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=1778075&postcount=12

If you are working with lots in the lot bin, then you'll also need this:
http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=LOT

Here's a post about using the LotAdjuster to resolve discrepancies between lot and neighborhood terrain:
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?p=3169826#post3169826
« Last Edit: 2010 September 04, 18:35:41 by Mootilda » Logged

I don't think this level of hostility is necessary
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: