More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 17:15:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Transferring Neighborhood = Renamed Townies?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Transferring Neighborhood = Renamed Townies?  (Read 8409 times)
Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

Touched by His Noodly Appendage

View Profile
Transferring Neighborhood = Renamed Townies?
« on: 2010 September 01, 22:25:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a neighborhood from quite a while ago that I started a legacy on, and since getting a better computer, trying out The Horror and quickly getting bored of it, I decided to install Sims 2 on the new computer and transfer over the old 'hood and continue playing it. It's not the first time I transferred a 'hood between computers (or loaded backups) so I thought I had done it same as normal, but when I went in to play, all of the townies who I had married into my family have been renamed (My poor sim's husband has been renamed to Allison). And it's not only the townies, but also my family's servo. I never noticed this happen before, but to be honest I never payed much attention, so I could very well just be doin' it rong.

Anyone know what the heck I did to cause this?

Quote from: Assmitten
Oh COME NOW Mr. Serious, we both know there's people who like to be digitally watched while they digitally fellate someone in a platypus suit.
kazebird
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: Transferring Neighborhood = Renamed Townies?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 September 01, 23:00:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could you have overwrote the neighborhood's folder in the game, instead of deleting, and then replacing the folder?

If you did, this is VBT.

"Of course I'm alright! But supposing I wasn't alright! I mean, this thing makes me feel in such a way that I'd be very worried if I felt like that about somebody else feeling like this about that. Do you understand?"
Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 September 01, 23:40:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think it would have been possible to have done that. It was a fresh install on a newly formatted computer that had never had Sims 2 on it before, and the first thing I did was to get rid of the Maxis neighborhoods before anything else. There shouldn't have been anything to be overwritten.

Oh COME NOW Mr. Serious, we both know there's people who like to be digitally watched while they digitally fellate someone in a platypus suit.
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010 September 01, 23:46:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What did you do, exactly?

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 September 02, 00:02:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just copied the entire N004 folder from the neighborhoods folder over into the new neighborhoods folder.

Edit: So I spent a bit of time looking at exactly which sims had their names changed, and so far I've found that sims in the main 'hood created in CAS or born during gameplay kept their names. Townies/dormies that married into the family got renamed, as did any sims who had been adopted into the family, a CAS dog, and a servo, however a Takemizu Village vacation local who married into the family kept her name. In one Uni 'hood (Sim State University) all of the playable's names are intact. In another Uni 'hood (a completely custom one) all of the playables (all created in Create-a-Student) got name changes. Many name changes are repeats of each other, and a large percent are wrong gender names. Haven't got a clue how it decided which sims it felt like renaming.
« Last Edit: 2010 September 02, 01:18:25 by Aimlak » Logged

Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 September 02, 05:04:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I remember this happening to me long ago when I installed Pets (I only had the base game at the time). Several of my sims in my Pleasantview got renamed, random townie names which didn't always fit the gender. I don't think it was just former townies that were affected, though, but I don't think any of the original PV sims were. I don't think it's anything dangerous, just some sort of glitch, possibly related to EP changes. You could rename them in SimPE. Which EPs do you have installed?
Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 September 02, 18:02:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think the old neighborhood was on a game with everything up to FT, and this new computer now has all EPs and SPs. I don't really even care about the names so much, since its been so long since I played that I can barely remember what they were in the first place, I just want to make sure I didn't do something stupid that's going to lead my 'hood to a BFBVFS.

haifen
Crapsack
Retarded Reprobate

#hashtag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 September 02, 18:42:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember my sims names all got changed when I switched from English to French. Perhaps you at some point changed from idk US English to UK English or vice versa?
* haifen shrugs

16:29   spockers   I fucking hate going to see movies in theaters now.
16:30   spockers   Unless it's a really fancy old-style movie palace type place, but even then some dick will pull out their Appleberry in the middle of the film and start tweeting about wanting Chris Brown to beat them up
Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 September 02, 19:51:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hah, you know that might actually be it. I'm not sure but I think my old installation was US English, and this new one is UK English. Of course my first question would have to turn out to be something dumb like that.

soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 September 02, 21:53:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I remember my sims names all got changed when I switched from English to French. Perhaps you at some point changed from idk US English to UK English or vice versa?
* haifen shrugs

I doubt that's the problem. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between UK English and UK English names in TS2. Why on earth would they bother changing the names? SILLY HAIFENS.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 September 03, 05:19:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt that's the problem. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between UK English and UK English names in TS2. Why on earth would they bother changing the names? SILLY HAIFENS.

I don't think it's a case of EAxis "bothering" to change the names, but more likely some sort of unintended side effect. I had a quick look at my randomly generated townies in SimPE, and the names are mostly the same in all languages. This could mean that they don't really have names in all the other languages, so perhaps the game rerandomizes them when an EP is installed in a different language, no matter what that language is?

With EAxis, anything is possible.

Either way, this is their doing and not the OP's.
Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 September 03, 19:48:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With EAxis, anything is possible.

Either way, this is their doing and not the OP's.

Well, as long as it's EAxis' fail and not mine. I'm pretty used to them doing dumb things. Time for me to go rename a bunch of sims then play it out to see when something goes boom.

haifen
Crapsack
Retarded Reprobate

#hashtag

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 September 04, 22:31:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If someone would bother to recreate this issue we can haz a better understanding maybe [/Zoidberg] Not me though, I don't feel like doing the dance of the disks tonight

Oh and:

As far as I can tell, there is no difference between UK English and UK English names in TS2.
wat

16:29   spockers   I fucking hate going to see movies in theaters now.
16:30   spockers   Unless it's a really fancy old-style movie palace type place, but even then some dick will pull out their Appleberry in the middle of the film and start tweeting about wanting Chris Brown to beat them up
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 September 11, 00:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is precisely what happens if you end up switching from EN_UK to EN_US or vice versa: The game will find null strings or garbage in all the names and generate random replacement names or spit back garbage.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: