More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 13:47:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Does anyone use The Sims 3 with Steam? Is an internal FPS limiter possible?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does anyone use The Sims 3 with Steam? Is an internal FPS limiter possible?  (Read 16386 times)
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Does anyone use The Sims 3 with Steam? Is an internal FPS limiter possible?
« on: 2010 August 30, 21:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like to use TS3 with steam, because Steam has an internal game UI overlay that you can easily access, which includes a web browser and chat system. This means I could run the game in full screen without my computer getting angry that I keep alt-tabbing, and it is just really convenient.

But I use FPS limiter. You cannot add any game that isn't a .exe file to steam. So I am wondering if anyone uses TS3 with steam and if they know how to get around this, OR if it's possible to limit FPS with something inside the game, like a mod or something, so that I could simply launch the .exe.

Any ideas?
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
Re: Does anyone use The Sims 3 with Steam? Is an internal FPS limiter possible?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 August 31, 00:15:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Steam is shit.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010 August 31, 00:21:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice argument. Got anything useful to say?
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 August 31, 00:46:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nice argument. Got anything useful to say?

We also don't like your shoes.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Tever
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 August 31, 07:32:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Steam. It's convenient, even if they will one day gather an army of brainwashed masses to take on Google in a glorious power struggle. Try the 3Booter/FPS Limiter combo down in the Armoire. They're both .exe, so they might work.
Rhayden
Retarded Reprobate

WaffleCat's ambassador to the Artichoke Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 August 31, 16:27:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like to use TS3 with steam, because Steam has an internal game UI overlay that you can easily access, which includes a web browser and chat system. This means I could run the game in full screen without my computer getting angry that I keep alt-tabbing, and it is just really convenient.

But I use FPS limiter. You cannot add any game that isn't a .exe file to steam. So I am wondering if anyone uses TS3 with steam and if they know how to get around this, OR if it's possible to limit FPS with something inside the game, like a mod or something, so that I could simply launch the .exe.

Any ideas?

Solution #1: Alt-tab like a motherfucker.
Solution #2: Run TS3 in windowed mode.
Solution #3: Get a secondary monitor.
Solution #4: GET FUCKED.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Rhayden.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010 August 31, 16:43:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Steam. It's convenient, even if they will one day gather an army of brainwashed masses to take on Google in a glorious power struggle. Try the 3Booter/FPS Limiter combo down in the Armoire. They're both .exe, so they might work.

Oddly enough, this works! Cheesy I say oddly because I had previously compiled the .bat file for FPS limiter into an EXE, and Steam tried to apply the UI to FPS limiter, not The Sims 3. But this time the UI works just fine and as far as I can tell, so does hte FPS limiting. Awesome. Cheesy

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010 September 14, 04:03:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

NEVERMIND. Problem solved forever.

I found a program called D3DOverrider. It lets you force vsync and triple buffering without having to launch it with a game- it runs in the background. Works flawlessly. Perfect 75FPS (vsync matches monitor refresh rate) constantly, AND I can play in steam.
« Last Edit: 2010 September 14, 04:51:13 by Claeric » Logged
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2010 September 14, 07:55:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Crikey. I never thought I'd see someone actually liking Steam.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 September 14, 09:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the Shouty Vole. He is a few dilithium crystals short of a warp core.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2010 September 14, 16:25:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I hate Valve (they're really stupid, and they know all about "Valve Time" but joke about it instead of trying to fix it), and I cannot stand that you can't customize non-steam games, but it's a hell of a lot easier to access my games than a ton of desktop shortcuts or having to remember which poorly labeled start menu folder they're in. And it means I can go to the browser or a chat without having to alt-tab, meaning I can play in constant full screen.

There are no downsides to this, so I'm not sure what's so crazy about liking it. It's nothing but convenience.
Tever
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 September 14, 16:40:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's DRM. You don't buy games through Steam. You just rent them for an indefinite period. I think it's a decent enough exchange for the convenience at the moment since the only game I have that requires an internet connection to play is TF2, but there's always the risk of Valve breaking up or getting bought out and the system being turned against us like other companies do.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2010 September 14, 16:42:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys must be missing the part where I'm not buying games to begin with. I'm using the steam UI. Not the store.
bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

Less awesome than some of you

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 September 14, 17:12:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still think getting a second screen is a more efficient solution. No switching nonsense. Great for multitasking. 22" screens run for less than 200 bucks as far as I remember (and you don't need a powerful screen if it's your secondary). Price worth the comfort of work.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 September 14, 23:17:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You guys must be missing the part where I'm not buying games to begin with. I'm using the steam UI. Not the store.
This is even MORE stupid, since the entire reason Steam allows this is because STEAM IS SPYWARE and by allowing to run even when not necessary, you are allowing them to SPY ON YOU and see everything you are doing, MORON.

I still think getting a second screen is a more efficient solution. No switching nonsense. Great for multitasking. 22" screens run for less than 200 bucks as far as I remember (and you don't need a powerful screen if it's your secondary). Price worth the comfort of work.
Just get an entire second computer. That way you can multitask even better, because one computer locking up won't affect the other one at all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 September 14, 23:33:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just get an entire second computer. That way you can multitask even better, because one computer locking up won't affect the other one at all.

Yes, and you can run processor intensive tasks without considering what the other computers are doing.
Plus, you can have them anywhere in the house and just remote in and out of them, almost the same as alt-tabbing.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Jeeves
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 September 14, 23:38:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...but it's a hell of a lot easier to access my games than a ton of desktop shortcuts or having to remember which poorly labeled start menu folder they're in.
My poorly labeled start menu folder for games is called "Games".

Quote from: Asstear
6. Banned me from my own forum
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 September 15, 00:13:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...but it's a hell of a lot easier to access my games than a ton of desktop shortcuts or having to remember which poorly labeled start menu folder they're in.
My poorly labeled start menu folder for games is called "Games".
Bravo, sir.  BRA.  VO.

*jeromycraig initiates slow clap*

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Vermilion
Asinine Airhead

ISTP

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 September 15, 00:29:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heck, you're expecting too much of someone whose IQ is somewhere between that of a bowl of tapioca and a turnip.
bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 September 15, 00:40:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, and you can run processor intensive tasks without considering what the other computers are doing.
Plus, you can have them anywhere in the house and just remote in and out of them, almost the same as alt-tabbing.
Yay sarcasm...
I was serious about two screens. If you feel like you'd seriously use more screen space, that's something to consider. If you can play the sims 3 you probably have a standalone video card that handles two screens without a fuss (takes like 3 minutes to set up if you have a GeForce, haven't had a chance to work with Radeon). So it's a question of whether you have $200 (a used screen is even cheaper) and how much you're unhappy with having to tab out.
Looks like Claeric could enjoy the experience. (also looks like they wouldn't come up with the idea to get an extra screen on their own) Just saying...
Aimlak
Blathering Buffoon

Touched by His Noodly Appendage

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 September 15, 01:42:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Claeric might just like steam because it feels familiar, what with it being the main thing in its head and all.

Quote from: Assmitten
Oh COME NOW Mr. Serious, we both know there's people who like to be digitally watched while they digitally fellate someone in a platypus suit.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 September 15, 09:21:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay sarcasm...
I was serious about two screens.
And I was serious about simply using a second computer. Considering that if you've been using computers for longer than about 5 years, you probably HAVE a second computer or two lying around in pieces, why not USE it?

bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 September 15, 10:13:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I was serious about simply using a second computer. Considering that if you've been using computers for longer than about 5 years, you probably HAVE a second computer or two lying around in pieces, why not USE it?
They are being used. One by my sister (and she complains that it's slow and stupid), another one by dad as a file server at work. Nothing is being wasted.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 September 15, 10:29:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that *12* I smell?

bloodredtoe
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 September 15, 14:59:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is that *12* I smell?

Actually no. I'm of age. Lame twelvish thing to give your family stuff you no longer need when it's more useful to them (especially if they paid for it to begin with)?
Anyway, that's completely irrelevant to the topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: