More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 19, 04:28:34

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6512 Members
Latest Member: jennXjenn
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Coreless AwesomeMod?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Coreless AwesomeMod?  (Read 25983 times)
Shadowkiller
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Coreless AwesomeMod?
« on: 2010 August 09, 06:31:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey guys. So I recently got Sims 3 and all the expansions. When I played Sims 2 previously, I had modded my game using Inteenimator. So when I came to Sims 3, I went back to the old favorite and installed "Extended game core" with Inteen3. After some more time adding more mods, I came across AwesomeMod. Everything in it looks so... well... Awesome, but then I came up against the Highlander rule.

While I am a programmer by trade, my specialty tends to be more assembly level. Having dabbled a little bit in the higher level stuff, I thought maybe I could combine the cores giving me access to both mods. Unfortunately I didn't realize how insanely large the dll files are until I got them open and started down the path. Even worse, while I can find the differences and understand to some extent what they are doing, there is enough in there that is unclear that I've come to realize I'm more likely to break everything then come up with a magical cure. To be honest, the few hours I spent actually trying to combine the cores did little except give me a brand new respect for you guys who actually do this.

Since I can't uninstall EGC without losing my saved games(my wife is probably more attached to hers than I am to mine, but I have put a lot of effort into them so trashing them is not high on my priority list), the next question is if there are non-core alternatives that do similar or the same things as AwesomeMod? Now I've already started down that path and was directed to TSC. I expect I'll have to continue down this path, but I figured I should first check to see if anyone else has walked this path before me and perhaps has a list of mods that can do what I am asking.

To summarize, I'm looking to see if anyone has put together a list of mods that, when combined, give a similar feature list to that of AwesomeMod without requiring the core.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Coreless AwesomeMod?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 August 09, 07:11:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hahaha. No. Accept no Kewian-based substitutes!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Shadowkiller
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 August 09, 14:18:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you aren't exactly the best person to answer, are you?

And I'm asking if anyone has ever done it or even tried to do it. Do you speak for everyone now?

To be honest, this forum is probably a bad place to ask, people probably don't come here to find AwesomeMod substitutes. Not to mention that is pretty much the answer I was looking for. Well thanks anyway.
Nevearo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 August 09, 16:16:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd say that he is the best person to answer. Probably nobody in the world has a better understanding of Sims 3. Certainly not the people who made it...
Awesomemod is a core mod because the stuff in it requires it to be a core mod. You can't ask for functionality that Sims 3 doesn't allow as a tuning without core changes, some in direct conflict with each other if you happen to be using that other mod.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 August 09, 16:21:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look I don't care if you are a "programmer by trade" don't come here as a noob and then be a smart ass. If you acknowledge it was a bad place to ask and you expected the answer you got then why the fuck did you do it dickwad?

But to answer your question, so you will hopefully take your haughty ass and GTFO, no one other than Twallan has managed to make any significant game altering mods (ie not XML tweaks) that are not core mods. Twallan has utilized some creative work arounds to do this, but I don't know the specific processes. If you must know how then go ask him.

Twallan's mods are the only significant alternative to using a core mod. Compared to TS2, there are far less people making mods for TS3 so your choices are reduced. It's something you have to live with unless you want to make your own mods.

Also, you can pretty much do most things the few measly other core mods out there do (with the possible exception of some of the slider mods) with Awesome mod and some of Twallans various mods. It's possible to have teen woohoo, same sex pregnancy, no shooing etc etc with Awesomemod by using Twallan's mods alongside with it.

However as you likely won't believe everything I've said and think I am biased because I am here then go off for yourself and waste time looking so you will be satisfied. And then don't bother coming back.

ETA: Pescado spent over a year modding for this game when almost no one else knew how or wanted to and he is still updating and working on it. Others who started trying to mod for it around the same time have long since abandoned their projects. Most of the few others currently modding for TS3 started later and acknowledge Pescado, noting that their work couldn't have been done without his. The person who made that extended game core clearly notes this.

Then there are things like the "Super Mod" at Pandora Sims that just so happens to be strikingly similar to Awesomemod. A coincidence, I am sure.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: 2010 August 09, 19:57:08 by Motoki » Logged

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 August 09, 19:49:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you aren't exactly the best person to answer, are you?
He's the forum owner, the creator of Awesomemod, and has been modding/hacking since you were in diapers. But no, he's definitely not the best person to answer.  Roll Eyes

Shit, you just made me use an emoticon.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Chaavik
Dimwitted Dunce

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 August 09, 20:17:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're serious, Shadowkiller? Do you realize who you're speaking to when you made that statement? El Presidente will speak to anyone in any manner he wish to use. If he says "no", then "no" means "no fucking way".

If you want similar features in Awesome Mod, but you still want to use that other core mod, go over to Twallan's NRAAS (Helpful hint: GOOGLE) section and pick up a handful of mods there. They are individual mods (components) you can put together that will function quite like Awesome Mod.

If I personally were to choose which core mod to run with my Sims 3 game, it would be Awesome Mod hands down.

Before you make any more retarded comments to a forum owner, think twice.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010 August 09, 22:18:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wanna bet he's going to make some comment about everyone being a bunch of Pescado drones?

"Of two evils, choose the prettier."
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 August 09, 22:18:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wanna bet he's going to make some comment about everyone being a bunch of Pescado drones?
I thought we were all Rohina socks.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Shadowkiller
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 August 09, 22:36:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The point I was making was that the designer of a core mod such as AwesomeMod is probably spending his time designing his mod rather than looking for alternatives to it. Thus he probably isn't the best person to be answering the question of whether there are alternatives.

Personally I don't think that was a retarded comment, I think it was well thought out. Of course you are definitely free to disagree.

My comments were not intended to be insulting or anything like that. This strange place called the internet doesn't really transmit the sound of my words unfortunately. All I was really trying to say was that while I do respect Pescado's expertise, I expect his knowledge in the department of alternative mods to his own is probably rather limited and I originally hoped to get other people's insight.  I explained in my original post that I was hoping someone had walked this path before me, but I expect few if any have. After Pescado's comment, though, I kinda started to think that maybe this is the wrong forum to ask the question and decided to perhaps try barking up other trees instead.

And Motoki, while I wish people weren't so quick to start name calling when they are not happy, you gave me some solid information that I truly appreciate. Thank you.

I asked my wife this morning if I could dump the current save games and switch to AwesomeMod which is obviously the superior one, but she responded with an unequivocal NO. So for now I will continue on my quest try to emulate AwesomeMod's awesomeness. Some day I'll be able to make the switch to AwesomeMod. Until then, thank you for your time.

Disclaimer: None of the text above is meant to be inflamatory, insulting, or anything other than respectful. Please do not read any of it that way.
Bottle-O-Cunt
Blathering Buffoon

More Tryhard Than You.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 August 09, 22:46:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And Motoki, while I wish people weren't so quick to start name calling when they are not happy, you gave me some solid information that I truly appreciate. Thank you.

Did you remember to press the "Thanks" button? Ingrate.

I asked my wife this morning if I could dump the current save games and switch to AwesomeMod which is obviously the superior one, but she responded with an unequivocal NO. So for now I will continue on my quest try to emulate AwesomeMod's awesomeness. Some day I'll be able to make the switch to AwesomeMod. Until then, thank you for your time.

Create another user account. Install the framework and AM in the "Documents/Electronic Arts/Mods" folder.

Shouty Vole/Teh Goddess - My OTP <333
mistressgemini
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 August 09, 22:58:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Disclaimer: None of the text above is meant to be inflammatory, insulting, or anything other than respectful. Please do not read any of it that way.

Why did you put a disclaimer telling us how to read the post that we have just finished reading? I enjoyed reading it with a sarcastic tone and find it lacks in the testicle department when read the way the disclaimer suggests.

Quote from: jezzer
Yeah, but in order for the species to remain strong, people who are completely unable to read & comprehend detailed written instructions need to be culled. Know that as I'm playing my game with all my shiny store content intact, I am appreciative of the sacrifice you have made.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 August 09, 23:20:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know, I doubt you would ACTUALLY have to dump your save game. You could just try it and see. Only a really badly made mod wouldn't have some method of parking and uninstalling, even if you can't simply rip it out safely, which is what those messages tend to mean. And if you're dealing in a badly made mod, do you really want your games subjugated to someone else's dubious level of dedication forever? Most of the other core modders go extinct fairly fast.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Shadowkiller
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 August 09, 23:54:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It wasn't till I went looking to remove it that I noticed EGC specifically states you cannot uninstall his Core without blowing up your saves. He even admits there is a bug in his logic he is aware of and has yet to remove that does it.

And I've tried making new users. Windows has never liked it when I do that. It always has driver issues or something that eventually makes me just delete the extra users. It's been true since Win 98 and Win 7 is no exception.

Edit: I went back and reread and it looks like you actually CAN uninstall it. I read it wrong.
« Last Edit: 2010 August 10, 00:00:05 by Shadowkiller » Logged
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 August 10, 00:03:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And I've tried making new users. Windows has never liked it when I do that. It always has driver issues or something that eventually makes me just delete the extra users. It's been true since Win 98 and Win 7 is no exception.

Oh yes, you've got mad computer skills alright. Sounds like you're getting the dreaded ID10T error.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Shadowkiller
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 August 10, 00:17:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Never said I had mad computer skillz.

Anyway, thank you Pescado for not only being courteous but for pointing out my mistaken thinking. I tried to hit the thanks button but I'm not sure it worked. I'll be installing your core tonight once I'm sure uninstalling EGC won't have any negative effects.

BTW, how do you put up with all your fanbois?
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 August 10, 00:21:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He doesn't, he hates us all equally.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 August 10, 03:16:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

He doesn't, he hates us all equally.

Quite true. He's an asshole and so are we but none of us are easily butthurt so it all works out.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 August 10, 17:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Husbands and wives should not share computers!   That's just wrong on so many levels.  Get your own computer (Pro Tip- with AwesomeMod you will not need to use a disk to play the game, so you can both play at the same time.) Then you can prove to her that she is wrong. 
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 August 11, 07:03:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quote from: Shadowkiller
While I am a programmer by trade, my specialty tends to be more assembly level. Having dabbled a little bit in the higher level stuff, I thought maybe I could combine the cores giving me access to both mods.

Never said I had mad computer skillz.

You're a programmer by trade but you can't manage to figure out Windows? And how long have you been unemployed, good sir?

INFP or something
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 August 11, 07:51:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you REALLY want to try combining cores, you can try misusing the dificil tool in the Tools section. This use is not supported, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Tricit
Retardo Lander

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 August 14, 18:50:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yaes plaze make a cureless awesumods 12woohoo so can get rid paedo
friendlyquark
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 August 14, 21:39:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really really hope that post was an attempt at humor. Because I otherwise might have to go cry for the fate of mankind.
ChristinaCrino
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 August 14, 22:09:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really really hope that post was an attempt at humor. Because I otherwise might have to go cry for the fate of mankind.

I would fear for mankind equally if it was an attempt at humour.
keirra
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 August 15, 03:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tricit is a tard. We can only hope that the cans will show up soon.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: