More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 23:19:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  AwesomeMod Updater (v2.8.3 - Updated 2013-10-16)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: AwesomeMod Updater (v2.8.3 - Updated 2013-10-16)  (Read 374003 times)
Matildarose
Asinine Airhead

Don't make kitty sick.

View Profile WWW
Re: AwesomeMod Updater (v2.7.1 - Updated 10/18/2011)
« Reply #250 on: 2012 January 06, 18:40:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The updater has been working with the latest patch since the day after it was released. Other than that, nothing was changed. If it doesn't work while it did before, you are doing something wrong.

To CC Magic users:
Keep in mind that CC Magic merges package files into big package files. This makes the updater unable to find awesome.package. You should exclude awesome.package from your 'merge list'. If it still doesn't work, meh.

Thankfully, the way CC Magic works now is that it doesn't collect anything to merge from the mods/packages folder. It leaves those alone and just lists them in the legacy folder, which it doesn't touch. So, as long as someone keeps their hacks in the packages/mods folder, awesomemod will be untouched.

Anyway, decided to try it again, since it worked for you, and for some reason, it works fine now. Maybe the first awesomemod update had something it didn't like, or most likely, it was something on my end that I somehow resolved without realizing it.
« Last Edit: 2012 January 07, 18:48:33 by Matildarose » Logged
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: AwesomeMod Updater (v2.7.2 - Updated 02/08/2011)
« Reply #251 on: 2012 February 08, 20:17:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Updated to v2.7.2 (v2.7.2.172)

The updater will now update StrayGnomeFix (if it will ever be updated).

No other changes have been made.
SocialSim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: 2012 February 09, 20:43:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank You For this update Using this for long time now ....great tool ! keep up the good work

question :

for the last update do I need to extract again the Unzip wget.exe and unzip.exe to my system's Windows folder each update?

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me ...
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2012 February 10, 16:22:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

for the last update do I need to extract again the Unzip wget.exe and unzip.exe to my system's Windows folder each update?
No.
Cheetah
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2012 March 14, 07:28:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,

is it possible to add a mechanic to the updater, which installs the mod, if it's not yet been installed? I guess this would render a LOT of these newbie questions on this forum obsolete and provide an extremely easy way to add AM to a sims 3 installation.
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2012 March 14, 07:58:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi,

is it possible to add a mechanic to the updater, which installs the mod, if it's not yet been installed? I guess this would render a LOT of these newbie questions on this forum obsolete and provide an extremely easy way to add AM to a sims 3 installation.

Theoretically, I could just make it put AwesomeMod in the Mods\Packages folder, but the problem is that players are able to customise their mods folder by adding new folders and editing Resource.cfg. This would make it nearly impossible to put it in the 'right' folder. However, I could still look into it, as these noobs you're talking about probably won't be customising their mods folder anyway.

Another problem is that players who want to delete AwesomeMod, or put aweconf.package next to it, will probably have no idea where to look.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2012 March 14, 12:52:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another problem is that players who want to delete AwesomeMod, or put aweconf.package next to it, will probably have no idea where to look.

Half the people who have installed it manually would have no idea where to look.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: AwesomeMod Updater (v2.8 - Updated 09/08/2012)
« Reply #257 on: 2012 September 08, 11:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Updated to v2.8 (v2.8.0.181)

It's been a while since I updated this thing, but I've finally added a new feature, as suggested by Cheetah.

- The updater is now able to install AwesomeMod automatically. You specify the folder where it needs to be installed and the updater will do the rest.
- I decided to drop support for Windows XP. People have had issues with running the updater on this ancient OS, and since I don't have access to an XP computer, it's better to drop support altogether. Keep in mind that the updater will probably continue to work with XP, it's just that no support will be provided. In short: you're on your own.
- I will (try to) offer support for people on Windows 8.

Please report any issues you encounter.
« Last Edit: 2012 September 09, 20:41:18 by basbas » Logged
WTFman
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: AwesomeMod Updater (v2.8 - Updated 2012-09-08)
« Reply #258 on: 2012 December 27, 22:43:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any chance at all that the updater will be usable with Steam's install of The Sims 3
, anytime in the future? 
dragoness
Irritating Ignoramus

INTJ.

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2012 December 27, 23:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesomemod itself is not compatible with the steam installation that I know of, so no, not likely.
Madame Mim
Retarded Reprobate

Tards, Damned Tards and You Were Adopted.

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2012 December 28, 00:04:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm paraphrasing, but, according to Pescado STEAM is a source of great evil.

Mia kusenveturilo estas angiloplena.
diannetea
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2012 December 28, 21:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm paraphrasing, but, according to Pescado STEAM is a source of great evil.

Steam is basically a "nice" DRM program.  It has the potential to be shitty with all games - especially ones you can mod.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2012 December 29, 13:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Steam is basically a "nice" DRM program.

There is no such animal.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: AwesomeMod Updater (v2.8.1 - Updated 2013-02-23)
« Reply #263 on: 2013 February 23, 12:32:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Updated to v2.8.1

The main change is that locale.aweupd is now obsolete, as its function is now handled by the updater itself. You can safely remove it from your Windows folder.
I also improved some other things here and there.

As always, the updater will update your AwesomeMod to the test version for 1.50, if necessary.

Please report any issues you encounter. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2013 February 23, 15:52:49 by basbas » Logged
Gigowatt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2013 February 26, 11:34:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can increase your script compatibility by replacing each "wget" and "unzip" words by "%~dp0wget.exe" and "%~dp0unzip.exe".
"%~dp0" is the source path where the script is launched from (= where the script is placed).
So you can use CD command (I prefer PUSHD) as often as you want, "%~dp0" variable won't change Wink
Supported for all NT OS.

(I had to do this modification for me because wget and unzip were not recognized commands.)
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2013 February 26, 16:20:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can increase your script compatibility by replacing each "wget" and "unzip" words by "%~dp0wget.exe" and "%~dp0unzip.exe".
"%~dp is the source path where the script is launched from (= where the script is placed).
So you can use CD command (I prefer PUSHD) as often as you want, "%~dp variable won't change Wink
Supported for all NT OS.

(I had to do this modification for me because wget and unzip were not recognized commands.)

Oh, that's interesting, thanks. I'll see what I'm going to do with that.

Do you have any idea why it didn't recognise the commands in the first place?
Gigowatt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2013 February 26, 18:33:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, that's interesting, thanks. I'll see what I'm going to do with that.

Do you have any idea why it didn't recognise the commands in the first place?

Yes ! The path where the script (BAT) is placed is not a default place where the script looks for commands, such as EXE or other CMD or BAT files.
A script can automatically find commands in specials paths contained in the variables %PATH%, %CD% (current dir) and maybe %TEMP% and others... But "script path" isn't one of these.

I've seen cd /d "%docs%" in your script so %CD% variable (which is a default path where the script can find commands) is not the "script path" anymore when it verifies if commands exist.
The script can recognise wget(.exe) and unzip(.exe) ONLY if they are located at %docs% path Sad

There are 3 solutions:
1. In your script, rename all wget and unzip calling commands by %~dp0wget.exe and %~dp0unzip.exe commands.
2. In your script, at the beginning, add the command set path=%~dp0;%path%. This operation add the "script path" to defaults paths where the script can find commands, even if "Current Dir" is defined elsewhere. So have not to modify your script, just add this line and your script can work everywhere.
3. I think this is the best solution BUT it's the solution which requires most modifications. You should NOT use CD command.
Exemple :
Code:
cd /d "AwesomeMod Updater"
echo.%ver% >version.txt
becames
Code:
echo.%ver% >"%data%\AwesomeMod Updater\version.txt"
(and be carefull there is an unecessary space after %ver% !)

I know that for some reasons (especially when you use parenthesis), using a path with special caracters (like (, ), &, ...) into a FOR or IF commands can cause unexpected errors when script executes the command.
The only solution I know is to change "Current Dir" before the FOR or IF command. But there is a better way than CD command, use PUSHD command !
This command is compatible with Vista, 7 and 8 and I think with XP too but has one thing more than CD command, you can reverse your "current dir" variable to the old "current path" with de POPD command. In other words, you can temporarily change "current path" with PUSHD and restore it with POPD.

Suggestions :
1. I've not read entirely your script but I know that you have to define the save path according to language, and it's complicated because you have to translate the name for every languages ! EA engineers are not very smart...
Code:
if "%loc%"=="nl-NL" set "locn=De Sims 3"
if "%loc%"=="fr-FR" set "locn=Les Sims 3"
if "%loc%"=="de-DE" set "locn=Die Sims 3"
if "%loc%"=="pt-PT" set "locn=Os Sims 3"
if "%loc%"=="es-ES" set "locn=Los Sims 3"
I suggest this little piece of script :
Code:
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('dir /b /a:d "%docs%\Electronic Arts"') do (
if exist "%docs%\Electronic Arts\%%a\Mods\Resource.cfg" (
set "locn=%%a"
)
)
Find "Mods\Resource.cfg" in all sub-folders of "%docs%\Etectronic Arts" and if it found, set locn variable with the current name of the sub-folder. It will NOT correctly work if there are more than 1 sub-folder where "Mods\Resource.cfg" can be found because ONLY the last scanned sub-folder will be returned and set into the variable.
To be perfect, all commands where you have to use locn variable should be replaced with this FOR command that I've suggested and set "locn=%%a" would be replaced by the command(s) you want.

2. You were confronted with the "Wow6432Node" problem when you used the REG command. I suggest to use this code :
Code:
set archtype=
if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="AMD64" set archtype=Wow6432Node\
if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432%"=="AMD64" set archtype=Wow6432Node\
And when you need to use REG command, you can insert archtype variable into the path :
Code:
for /f "tokens=3* delims= " %%A in ('reg query "HKLM\Software\[b]%archtype%[/b]Sims\The Sims 3" /v "Install Dir"') do set game=%%B

3. I've noticed that "AwesomeMod Updater" folder is created into %docs% folder. Why not the "script dir" ? I think that it would be preferable Wink
johnvndnbrk
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2013 March 02, 20:28:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Almost as cool as AM!  I just updated my Sims version, which is probably what triggered this.  Nice batch routine with terrific exception handling.  Thanks a mil!
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2013 March 03, 10:48:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The script can recognise wget(.exe) and unzip(.exe) ONLY if they are located at %docs% path
Hence the user is instructed to move wget and unzip to the Windows folder, which means the commands can always be recognised, wherever the script is located.
However, I appreciate your suggestions and agree that your way might be better, as the user has more control and doesn't have to modify the Windows folder. Still, many people (like me) like having the updater script file on the desktop, for quick access to the updater and the game. They wouldn't like having their desktop cluttered with 'unnecessary' files.

Find "Mods\Resource.cfg" in all sub-folders of "%docs%\Etectronic Arts" and if it found, set locn variable with the current name of the sub-folder. It will NOT correctly work if there are more than 1 sub-folder where "Mods\Resource.cfg" can be found because ONLY the last scanned sub-folder will be returned and set into the variable.
To be perfect, all commands where you have to use locn variable should be replaced with this FOR command that I've suggested and set "locn=%%a" would be replaced by the command(s) you want.
Could you eleborate why you think your method is better? The updater just gets the game language from the registry and checks if it's Dutch, French, German, Portuguese (EU) or Spanish (EU), as those are the only languages that use a different name for the user files folder (De, Les, Die, Os and Los Sims 3 respectively). Other languages just use The Sims 3, therefore that's used if the language isn't one of the aforementioned.
(This is the reason the updater doesn't work with games set to Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Thai, as I have no idea if those characters work or not in a script file.)

2. You were confronted with the "Wow6432Node" problem when you used the REG command. I suggest to use this code :
That does indeed seem a lot better and more efficient. Thanks.

3. I've noticed that "AwesomeMod Updater" folder is created into %docs% folder. Why not the "script dir" ? I think that it would be preferable
As mentioned before, if the script dir is, for example, the desktop or another folder that should be kept clean and tidy, it would be polluted with lots of clutter. This is the reason the files are stored in a seperate folder.

EDIT: I added a beta version to the first post, which implements your second suggestion.
« Last Edit: 2013 March 03, 11:54:50 by basbas » Logged
Gigowatt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2013 March 03, 12:00:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I don't like to add extra-files in my Windows folder too ^^

Could you eleborate why you think your method is better? The updater just gets the game language from the registry and checks if it's Dutch, French, German, Portuguese (EU) or Spanish (EU), as those are the only languages that use a different name for the user files folder (De, Les, Die, Os and Los Sims 3 respectively). Other languages just use The Sims 3, therefore that's used if the language isn't one of the aforementioned.
I didn't know that other languages (excepted Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai) use "The Sims 3" Wink I thought each language had its title.
I think my way will work with all languages (or an error could occur for asian languages, but it will be surprising) and your updater could be universal !

As mentioned before, if the script dir is, for example, the desktop or another folder that should be kept clean and tidy, it would be polluted with lots of clutter. This is the reason the files are stored in a seperate folder.
I'm ok with your explanation. However, users should not use desktop as a normal folder and only place shortcuts there, but it is their job ! Instead of "%data%", I thought "%data%/Eletronic Arts/%locn%" was a better path. I think game (mods) files should not be mixed with docs files - I know that is just my point of view. Often, I move my save dir on my external hard drive.

Oh, and one more thing ! "skuversion.txt" file is not a necessary file for the game. It can be deleted, modified and the game will still work. "Default.ini" contains the same information (GameVersion = X.X.X.X) and is a more relevant file Wink It's just a detail, but a tool is made of details !

And I've forgotten one important thing : nice work for your updater, it really works and is very usefull. I work with a lot of BAT scripts too and it is a funny game for me to share tips to others who really want to improve their scripts and skills. Confronting your scripts to public is a very good way (the best?) to do it !
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2013 March 03, 12:23:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think my way will work with all languages (or an error could occur for asian languages, but it will be surprising) and your updater could be universal !
No matter what, it's always worth a try. Finding a folder on the fly is better than using a predefined name, anyway.

I'm ok with your explanation. However, users should not use desktop as a normal folder and only place shortcuts there
I agree, but there will be people that think otherwise. However, having the .bat file (along with wget and unzip) in the AwesomeMod Updater folder will be a better idea in the end. The user would just have to create a shortcut.

I thought "%data%/Eletronic Arts/%locn%" was a better path. I think game (mods) files should not be mixed with docs files - I know that is just my point of view. Often, I move my save dir on my external hard drive.
That's obviously a personal preference. Changing the data folder requires a relatively trivial change to the script file. I might change the default to the Electronic Arts folder, though, as I get your point.

Oh, and one more thing ! "skuversion.txt" file is not a necessary file for the game. It can be deleted, modified and the game will still work. "Default.ini" contains the same information (GameVersion = X.X.X.X) and is a more relevant file Wink It's just a detail, but a tool is made of details !
So what you're saying is, if skuversion.txt is deleted, the game won't regenerate it, which would break the updater? In that case it'd be better to change it to Default.ini. If that file is getting regenerated, that is.

And I've forgotten one important thing : nice work for your updater, it really works and is very usefull. I work with a lot of BAT scripts too and it is a funny game for me to share tips to others who really want to improve their scripts and skills. Confronting your scripts to public is a very good way (the best?) to do it !
I fully agree; most improvements come from user feedback. I really appreciate it.
Gigowatt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2013 March 04, 20:11:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure that "skuversion.txt" is not a core file because when you edit this file, game version is not changed (but when you edit "default.ini", it does). Furthermore, "skuversion.txt" is not present in the "Game/Bin" folder in the DVD (or ISO file). It's added by the installer when you install the game — and I don't use installer because I manually move files/folder and add registry keys Wink (by the way, no more cd key to specify !)
"Default.ini" is no regenerated but disabling this file causes a game version display bug in the launcher. Game starts normally.
As my others suggestions, it's another detail, but it's very easy to modify.

All the best for your project(s) !
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: AwesomeMod Updater (v2.8.2 - Updated 2013-06-28)
« Reply #272 on: 2013 June 28, 17:28:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Updated to v2.8.2

This version checks all available mirrors (instead of just one) for the required files.
Since the new test version (for 1.55) only seems to be available on the beta mirror, you'll need v2.8.2 if you want te updater to download and/or update it. v2.8.1 and older will just state there isn't any test version available.

Check the changelog for all changes and please report any issues you have. Thanks.
pritam
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2013 June 28, 19:28:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello, I guess am one of those unlucky ones whose awesome mod would expire on 29-06-2013 at 00:49 and the Awesomemod updater (v2.8.2) although set up right managed to download the mod which was about to expire on the mentioned date and time. Is there an update more recent than the may 2013 patch? If yes can the links be provided for that update?

Additional info - I play the base game with Katy parry sweet treats expansion and I have managed to update the game with the 1.50 game patch.
basbas
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2013 June 28, 19:46:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The most recent (non-testing) version of AwesomeMod is indeed scheduled to expire on June 29th. There's nothing to do but wait for Pescado to update it.

You could always get a few cans of whipped cream and have some Katy Perry-styled fun to kill time. But that's up to you.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: