More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 27, 01:20:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Change active household during vacation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Change active household during vacation  (Read 12488 times)
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Change active household during vacation
« on: 2011 June 29, 09:29:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can I change to another household in my neighborhood if my current active Sim from another household is on vacation? I want to do this due because each time I send that Sim home, no matter what I try I get the error code 12.

-I've been getting error code 12 often now
« Last Edit: 2011 June 29, 09:53:00 by gilmar » Logged

Written
floopyboo
The Biter
Pinheaded Pissant

Back by popular demand!

View Profile WWW
Re: Change active household during vacation
« Reply #1 on: 2011 June 29, 09:50:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That save is (probably) fucked, try playing from a previous save. Your other option is to do something different to what you normally do (stop playing it exactly the same way - make a minor change to the "script" as it were) then save (under a different file name) then try to leave the vacation hood.

http://bigbrotherlawndale.deviantart.com/

The awesomest thing on the internet.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011 June 29, 10:34:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can I change to another household in my neighborhood if my current active Sim from another household is on vacation? I want to do this due because each time I send that Sim home, no matter what I try I get the error code 12.
No, you can't change households while you're on vacation! How do you even DO that when you're stuck in the vacation hood that doesn't give you a change fambly option?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011 June 29, 16:25:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, you can't change households while you're on vacation! How do you even DO that when you're stuck in the vacation hood that doesn't give you a change fambly option?

Actually Twallan's Master Controller has a 'Make Active' option which can be used. I did that a few days ago, and it doesn't seem to have produced any negative effects. Of course, it was only for a short amount of time (30 sim-minutes or something), I can't even remember why. In theory, you can use the option on any sim as long as they aren't homeless.
No idea what would happen is this was attempted for larger amounts of time, i.e. if one were to play locals from a vacation 'hood, say, for 1-2 sim-weeks, especially once your homesim's (that is, the one you sent on vacation) vacation ended.
Edit: I'm quite sure changing to a local family wouldn't exactly help you, since you would have to return to the homesim rather soon. By 'send home', do you mean using the 'return home' option? If so, have you tried waiting for the vacation to simply end? Exactly what have you tried so far?
« Last Edit: 2011 June 29, 16:33:37 by Naiad » Logged
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011 June 30, 08:44:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried to combat the error 12. I returned my Sim home (they are about 2 or 3 days into a 5 day holiday) as soon as I start the game hoping that by starting afresh and having not used the computer much, it might save but I still get that error. After that I tried to save in edit town, change to another household  and even played another neighborhood Twinbrook (I managed to save that neighbourhood) but I still get error 12 on mine. However I realized when I tried to save the game in the vacation hood, it could save. It seems that the transition from the vacation hood to my sim hood won't save. I haven't tried to finish the holiday.

« Last Edit: 2011 June 30, 09:32:03 by gilmar » Logged

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011 June 30, 10:52:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Any mods in there? Patched up?
Also, have you tried playing the backup save and not sending the Sim on vacation (see if it saves in the home 'hood after playing the game a bit without going on vacation), to see if the problem is the home 'hood or the vacation one? Also, have you tried changing the vacation destination?
You said you tried Twinbrook, and you could save. Does the error still appear when repeating the error-causing process with a Twinbrook Sim? Because if it doesn't, it's very probable that your save is corrupt.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011 June 30, 12:40:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got CC, objects, paintings, cars and a no censor file. Normally I just install an expansion or stuff pack, it updates automatically. I don't usually download and install a patch because they normally cause me problems. I did play the back up save but unfortunately my Sim is already in vacation and I don't have a back up file before that. So far I've not send any of my Twinbrook Sims to vacation, I'll try that.
« Last Edit: 2011 June 30, 13:05:58 by gilmar » Logged

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011 June 30, 12:57:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got CC, objects, paintings, cars and a no censor file. Normally I just  install an expansion or stuff pack, it updates automatically. I don't patch because they normally cause me problems. I did play the back up save but unfortunately my Sim is already in vacation and I don't have a back up file before that. So far I've not send any of my Twinbrook Sims to vacation, I'll try that.

I doubt no censor causes this, but nonetheless, perhaps trying to save without any CC should be given a shot anyway. Who knows? Before that, have you tried simply deleting your cache? Also, you never mentioned what happens if you allow the vacation to finish instead of using the return home option.
PC specs? This might simply be a problem of too little RAM.

About patches causing problems, what EPs/SPs do you have? I'm thinking that if it's only base + 1/2 addons, it might be worth it to just backup MyDoc Sims 3 files, and install the patch, since reinstalling if all goes boom might not take very long. Before that, have you tried simply deleting your cache?
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011 June 30, 14:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried deleting the caches. It didn't work.
I'm running a Windows XP 32 bit on a MSI Mobo with an Intel R Pentium D (R) 3 Ghz processor with 3G of RAM and a Palit GeForce GT 440 1024MB DD3.
I'm trying to finish the vacation at the moment. I'll also try playing without CC.
I'm running all the expansion and stuff packs.

Edit : It's difficult and frustrating to play as it tends to hang after about 30min- 1hr of Sim minute and then continue to run. Sometimes it runs pretty smoothly and most of the time it hangs periodically.
« Last Edit: 2011 June 30, 14:38:06 by gilmar » Logged

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011 June 30, 15:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're running everything I'd suggest trying a RAM upgrade and then making TS3 LAA. Perhaps someone has a RAM stick or two you could borrow to test this out first? TS3 is knows to be rather memory consuming. I'd switch to 64bit too if I were you, but that would mean reinstalling everything you have installed on your PC. Otherwise, what you have there is above the minimum requirements, I think that processor is dual core, right? Have you tried decrapifying (saves, CC except mods)? The compressorizer might help with that if you're not familiar with the process, though it's all just drag and drop.. Backup everything first though, in case your game doesn't like that.

In answer to the edit part, my game does that too, I don't know why and resetworld (AM command I think) doesn't work. Only, I have 6gb of RAM, and am only running 4 EPs, so I don't think it's lack of memory. It's not my save either, unless all my saves are corrupt, in which case I'll keep enduring this.

Edit: I just returned a Sim home from China, using the return home option, and a very strange thing happened: the Sim did not return to its home, but rather to a community lot located at the very edge of the map, and clicking on the 'go home' button next to the Sims's thumbnail had no effect. I had to return the Sim home manually, which I did, and the game recognized that the Sim was home (button thingy was gone). It also allowed me to save. Therefore: was your Sim home when you tried to save? And, did you try the Twinbrook Sim vacation?
« Last Edit: 2011 June 30, 15:13:25 by Naiad » Logged
Jeebus
Nitwitted Nuisance

MATY's Lord and Savior

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011 June 30, 15:43:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've tried deleting the caches. It didn't work.
I'm running a Windows XP 32 bit on a MSI Mobo with an Intel R Pentium D (R) 3 Ghz processor with 3G of RAM and a Palit GeForce GT 440 1024MB DD3.
I'm trying to finish the vacation at the moment. I'll also try playing without CC.
I'm running all the expansion and stuff packs.

Edit : It's difficult and frustrating to play as it tends to hang after about 30min- 1hr of Sim minute and then continue to run. Sometimes it runs pretty smoothly and most of the time it hangs periodically.
Your processor is ancient, and you need more RAM.

"Terminate the erroneous data" is an awesome euphemism for an abortion.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011 June 30, 16:02:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just put in a new hard disk about a few weeks ago. At first i thought maybe it was a failing hard disk that was causing the errors but now it seems that it wasn't. I did think of a RAM update but since I was running a 32 bit and it might only recognize 3.4 or 3.5 G, I decided against it.
I'm not sure if my processor is a dual core. What does it mean to decrapify? Is it using a software to clear unwanted files and memory?
As my hard disk is new, I might try defragmenting later on.
I might give TS3 LAA a try if I can. I'm afraid to mess with system files.
My Sims was home when I tried to save.
I've tried finishing the vacation, it didn't work. I've tried playing without the CC (I chose the return home option), I still get that error.
I'm not sure but I think this neighbourhood is a goner. It's save file is quite big already, 500 + MB from more than a year of play. I'm beginning to think the game is too much for my computer to handle.
I'm going to give the Twinbrook Sim a vacation tomorrow.

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011 June 30, 16:12:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Jeebus: I don't think PC age has anything to do with this, but rather the amount of addons you are trying to run on it. In support of this I will add that, even though what I have now is rather new and not entirely required, I used to run the game, EPs only, LN included, on an Intel Celeron without a video card, since I fried mine, having failed to use fps limiter, with 2gb of RAM. Needless to say, it was on very low settings and run like crap, but it DID save very well, and never threw an error 12. Nor any other kind of error, now that I think of it. So, meh, too many addons too little RAM is my verdict so far.
Also: search for both decrapifier (and the compressorizer on google) and fps limiter on this forum, and you'll find full instructions. I've never tried LAA myself, because I run a 64bit OS, but I think you'll be able to find something on that too.
Edit: If the new game/Twinbrook vacation saving does not throw errors, I'd say it's your save that's at fault here.
Against large saves: this might come from huge amounts of memories. MTS has a tool which lets you configure what memories to save, but I think you need to patch.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011 June 30, 16:20:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

@Jeebus
Okay, but I cannot change my processor now.
@ Naiad
Yes I think I need more RAM and will consider it in the future. I cannot reformat now as I've already just did it.
Come to think of it before this on my old graphics card before it got fried, everything ran fine with CC and all and I did not have save errors or anything but that was up to Outdoor Living. And a graphics card that wasn't as advanced as this.

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011 June 30, 16:23:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, check this thread too:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,20422.0.html

Try to end as many background processes as you can. As was written in that thread, also check what starts with windows (msconfig -> startup I think) and close what you don't need. Then try saving again. Because if it works, even though you still need more RAM, it means your save is fine. Or so my intuition suggests.
Edit: Also, if you've just formatted, now might be the time to switch to 64bit, since you probably haven't installed that many programs yet.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011 June 30, 16:32:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes I've just formatted and have installed all the necessary programs. To be honest my comp has been in the hospital quite a number of times and I'm just happy at the moment it's up and running.

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011 June 30, 17:20:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, now for some numbers, because I've restarted TS3, with a 200mb save, antivirus and firefox running, task manager says my PC is using 2,8gb of RAM. I'm running Windows 7, and the difference between that and XP in TS3 minimum requirements is 500mb of RAM if I remember correctly, so this would probably translate into your PC using about 1,9-2gb of RAM if you shut down your antivirus/browser. But, given that you're running the SPs too, and a somewhat larger save, I think we can safely say you need extra RAM, and probably 64bit also.

Here, closing firefox => 250mb of RAM no longer being used, just tried.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011 July 01, 03:40:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay. I'll consider a 64 bit OS if my computer can handle it in the future and probably add more RAM too. I did shut down my AntiVirus but that too did not work. The twinbrook Sim went to the same vacation place as my main Sim and did fine. The game was smoother and I managed to save. I still could save my main game in the vacation hood itself but unfortunately when I get home, i get the error. Maybe for the time being I'll back up my main save for the future. I still love that neighbourhood.

edit : I changed my save location but that didn't work. I might try to make my neighbourhood smaller for a shot or play in a windowed frame.
« Last Edit: 2011 July 01, 05:11:34 by gilmar » Logged

Written
Naiad
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011 July 01, 06:27:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, do try that. And, did you try decrapifying?
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011 July 01, 06:38:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No I didn't decrapify. I was reading the forum and I don't really understand how to do it. I might give it a try if I can later.

Edit : I decided not to decrapify as I'm not sure how to do it and I don't want to risk anything. I guess I'll back up that save in a cd for the future. I've decided to start up a new neighbourhood.

@ Naiad, Jeebus, Pescado, floopyboo - Thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: 2011 July 01, 07:37:13 by gilmar » Logged

Written
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011 July 02, 14:37:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually Twallan's Master Controller has a 'Make Active' option which can be used. I did that a few days ago, and it doesn't seem to have produced any negative effects.
Right, well, that's a third-party command. It cannot be described as normal game behavior, nor is it safe, since the game is not designed to handle this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
gilmar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011 July 15, 08:07:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried the TS3 LAA, the part where they asked us to edit in notepad.
So far so good. I managed to save.

Written
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: