More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 04:19:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Working with Max Trait Limits
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Working with Max Trait Limits  (Read 5939 times)
drycat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Working with Max Trait Limits
« on: 2010 July 29, 00:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm just beginning to work with the DLL's and wanted to change the max number of traits allowable for teens and younger. I know that the Awesome mod makes it possible to have unlimited traits for adult and older. I am running into some problems locating where the max number of traits is set in the Sims3GameplaySystems.dll. I have managed to find what looked like the proper method, Get_MaxTraitsFor(this.age), but every call and instance I search through does not seem to contain the code I'm looking for. I am going to assume that the value for the max traits is somewhere defined in the Sims Descriptiopn file.

But, I could really use some hints or just plain telling me where to look Tongue..

Grin
Rainbow_Brite
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
Re: Working with Max Trait Limits
« Reply #1 on: 2010 July 29, 06:27:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a mod that caps off at 20 along with some other versions. There are separate amounts for toddler, child, teen, young adult, adult and elder. You can find it here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=410544.

You can use this with or without AM installed. If you use it without AM, you have to have Twallan's Master Controller installed.

drycat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 July 29, 17:23:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the reply Rainbow. I did stumble onto that XML mod at ModTheSims. I guess this means that the actual maxtraits variables get set by tunable XML files. And you're right it definitely works well, and it is easily modable for any number of traits you desire. I was beating my ehad against the wall looking for the variables in code, and not finding them. I guess this makes more sense in retrospect  Roll Eyes
drycat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 July 29, 17:27:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which really makes sense that you would put variables with ranges in seperate files that can be tweaked by users.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 July 30, 15:39:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Changing the basic maximum trait limits is not advised, because then every single new NPC generated will also have a metric assload of traits. Sims shouldn't have that much personality unless they're based on an actual person.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
drycat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 July 30, 17:59:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is the unfortunate drawback. However, I can put up with it in the meantime. Whcih makes sense, since the NPC's are probably created using the same classes and methods that our Sims are using. Would make good sense to reuse code that way. Do you think it would be a worthwhile, and possible endeavor to try to put a switch case in the Sim constructor to check whether the Sim is flagged as a PC or an NPC? ( Could use this check to provide maxtraits for PC's and NPC's... if my assumption is correct )

Not even certain if this is how the structure is set up. But, the game certainly would have to have some way of flagging a Sim as an NPC or not, otherwise we would be able to select NPC's without mods.
« Last Edit: 2010 July 30, 18:04:18 by drycat » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 July 30, 18:25:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, you COULD, but that would involve a core mod. At that point, you may as well just use AwesomeMod's system.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
drycat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 July 30, 19:15:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're right. I just hate being lazy. Always more fun to code than just be a consumer sometimes. And other times, the other way around I guess..  Lips sealed
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: