More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 12:40:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Transfering the sims 2 games to another pc without reinstalling?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Transfering the sims 2 games to another pc without reinstalling?  (Read 22973 times)
LOolyharb
Blathering Buffoon

Psycho sookie.

View Profile
Transfering the sims 2 games to another pc without reinstalling?
« on: 2010 July 12, 09:20:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a way i can transfer all my sims 2 games to another computer without reinstalling?? I know it's not just a case of copy and paste,
but can i in some way install the sims 2 registries to the new computer without using the cds? Because using the cds is not really do-able
since a few of my games are arred, such as the stuff packs. Can i move my files and somehow get the registries on this computer?
« Last Edit: 2010 July 12, 10:20:52 by LOolyharb » Logged
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Transfering the sims 2 games to another pc without reinstalling?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 July 12, 09:55:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 July 12, 10:39:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is, but I haven't the slightest clue how.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 July 12, 19:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure how "not having the CDs because they were arred" is a problem. How did you install them in the first place? Just do that again.

Anyway, short answer is no, long answer is... it's complicated. You could probably find out how to do such registry editing on the intarwebs, but unless you're very comfortable and well-versed in the art of editing the registry, it's not something I'd recommend trying.

Just reinstall. Arr some more if you have to, or something.
Salomon
Weeaboo Pee Fancier
Blathering Buffoon

Desperate yet?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012 February 06, 14:51:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry for the necromancy, but this thread is a top Google result for playing the sims 2 without installing the games, if you already have the files in your harddrive, the reason I'm replying is so that people searching in Google on how to do this can benefit (Google is full of "no, it can't be done" or "impossible, just reinstall" results), which means creating a new topic wouldn't make sense.

Anyway, all you have to do is create the same registry entries of the game that the install disks would have created if you installed normally, these registry entries point to the folders where you have the files, and to other registry entries that tricks the game into thinking you've installed it.

These are 6 registry entries per expansion and have been compiled by Jeremy at MSFN (click the link and copy the parts that you need.)

What you do is finding the parts that you need to add to the registry (those that have the names of the expansions or stuff packs in them), create a .reg file with the data, run it, and change a key so the game sees it, then the game will run normally.

As an example, suppose I already have TS2 and the NightLife expansion installed, and want to "install" University. I search my 6 needed entries in the above link, copy them to Notepad, and change the relevant parts, those are: since I'm using Windows XP 64bit, I added a \Wow6432Node\ "folder" after every \SOFTWARE\ entry, then I changed the referenced paths to point to the folder where I have the files (D:\Games\Sims2U\), and added a line at the top that made it a valid registry file, it ends looking like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8fd3f4ba-a4a6-4380-00a6-cc6853ab2dc2}]
"DisplayIcon"="D:\\Games\\Sims2U\\Sims2EP1.ico"
"UninstallString"="D:\\Games\\Sims2U\\EAUninstall.exe"
"LogFile"="D:\\Games\\Sims2U\\filelist.txt"
"FriendlyName"="The Sims 2 University"
"DisplayName"="The Sims 2 University"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\app paths\sims2ep1.exe\]
"Game Registry"="SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\EA GAMES\\The Sims 2 University"
"Restart"=dword:00000000
"Installed"=dword:00000001
@="D:\\Games\\Sims2U\\TSBin\\Sims2EP1.exe"
"Path"="D:\\Games\\Sims2U"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\The Sims 2 university\ergc\]
@="QL22Q9764X8JQMHX22PB"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games\The Sims 2 university\]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\EA Games\The Sims 2 university\1.0\]
"Language"=dword:00000001
"LanguageName"="English US"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\EA Games\The Sims 2 university\]
"Installed From"="F:\\"
"Registration"="SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Electronic Arts\\EA GAMES\\The Sims 2 University\\ergc"
"CacheSize"="983398400"
"SwapSize"="0"
"Language"="English US"
"Locale"="en_us"
"CD Drive"="F:\\"
"Product GUID"="{8FD3F4BA-A4A6-4380-00A6-CC6853AB2DC2}"
"Region"="14917"
"Patch URL"="http://thesims2.ea.com/update/"
"Suppression Exe"=""

After running a .reg file with that data and adding it to the registry, the game thinks it is installed, but doesn't see it. For this, you need to edit a last registry entry that tells the game which expansions you have installed, it's in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\The Sims 2\ (or ...\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\...) called "EPsInstalled", empty if you don't have any, and has ",Sims2EP2.exe" if you only have NightLife, there I changed it to "Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe", and voila! I could play the University expansion without having to install it, the process can now be repeated for all the other expansions which will be much faster than having the install disks rewrite all the files you already have.

If this doesn't work, the worst case is that you're creating the registry entries in the wrong place, and will have to install TS2 to find where the "EA GAMES" and "Electronic Arts" entries are created, and create the expansions' entries on there.

Sorry, I think you can still hold it a bit more...
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012 February 06, 21:29:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am looking forward to the influx of tards RAEGing about how they managed to completely fuck their registries because they were too lazy to reinstall.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012 February 07, 06:43:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah. Unfortunately I think the majority of the people who have this problem won't be smart enough to use this solution.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: