More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 18:25:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  New Ambitions Shelf - Homage to MATY or Declaration of War?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Ambitions Shelf - Homage to MATY or Declaration of War?  (Read 18967 times)
sevrine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
New Ambitions Shelf - Homage to MATY or Declaration of War?
« on: 2010 July 11, 15:00:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This seems too much like it was written by a butthurt speshul snowflaek to have been a coincidence:

The split infinitive makes it especially poignant.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Re: New Ambitions Shelf - Homage to MATY or Declaration of War?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 July 11, 15:15:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It takes a pretty big ego to make such an assumption. It's a typical sims item description. Though if it were about MATY, you'd be evidence of why.

"You're so vain, you probably think this item description is about you", in a way.
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 July 11, 15:53:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't be naive. Eaxis has referenced MATY in objects before. It's very plausible that it's aimed as a little stab at the site.

Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 July 11, 15:59:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed, some of the plants in TS2 had names like "More xxx Than You" which I always thought was a nod (or a stab) at MATY. Also, there's the book "Special Snowflake" in TS3 which made me laugh as it's a phrase thrown about on here and GoS.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 July 11, 16:03:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't forget the LURVE bed in TS2. They know MATY is awesome.

More F than you
Tsarina
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 July 11, 17:00:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It amuses me that EAxis clearly still keeps some kind of tabs on the online community.

The split infinitive makes it especially poignant.
Why so? Split infinitives are not technically wrong, and correcting it would subtly change the meaning of the sentence, something which is not always desirable.

INEPT INTP
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 July 11, 23:52:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not every single use of the word "awesome" has anything to do with us. It seems unrelated.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 July 12, 00:54:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Whether it is about MATY or not, they need to stop letting their drunken summer intern donkeys write their copy.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 July 12, 03:09:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do summer intern donkeys have any actual other use?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 July 12, 03:15:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indeed, some of the plants in TS2 had names like "More xxx Than You" which I always thought was a nod (or a stab) at MATY. Also, there's the book "Special Snowflake" in TS3 which made me laugh as it's a phrase thrown about on here and GoS.

Don't forget the "Los Pescados" (or whatever it was called) decoration in Family Fun Stuff from TS2. I remember reading some speculation that it was a not-so-subtle reference to Pescado.

I sing along with elevator music.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 July 12, 04:16:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do summer intern donkeys have any actual other use?

Yes, you can seduce them, make them run errands, or you can lead them around the office with a twenty on a fishing line.

Optional soundtrack. Or anything wacky from the 60s.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Saikatsu
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 July 15, 00:57:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't forget the "Los Pescados" (or whatever it was called) decoration in Family Fun Stuff from TS2. I remember reading some speculation that it was a not-so-subtle reference to Pescado.
... "Los Pescados" is just Spanish for "the fish" (plural).

Of course, if the object was not fish related, I could see how it raised suspicion. I never got that pack, so I wouldn't know.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2010 July 15, 01:03:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, you're so vain you probably etc.

Pescado means fish, genius. Wasn't "Los Pescados" a, uh, wall decoration...of fish?

Speaking of, did you notice the "Troll on Forum" interaction? MATY IS A FORUM! OH GOD REFERENCES
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 July 15, 04:59:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can take it that way, yes. That being said, it's not uncommon for EA to reference people in the community. The townie named Cyl0n Sw0rd (or some variation of that, I killed them off immediately) was apparently a reference to Cyclone Sue, who used it as a username for awhile. I'm pretty sure I read the Cyclone Sue bit in the same thread I mentioned earlier, I'll have to see if I can track it down.

ETA: NVM. The Cyclonesue bit was something I read at PMBD, and it was the other way around. I could have sworn there were more references in TS2, so this may provide an excuse to fire up the game again.
« Last Edit: 2010 July 15, 05:19:25 by Sigmund » Logged

I sing along with elevator music.
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 July 15, 22:51:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Again, you're so vain you probably etc.

Pescado means fish, genius. Wasn't "Los Pescados" a, uh, wall decoration...of fish?

Speaking of, did you notice the "Troll on Forum" interaction? MATY IS A FORUM! OH GOD REFERENCES

You're such a monumental twat. Los Pescados, More Romantic Than You, Speshul Snowflake and now a shelf with reference to someone thinking they're "awesome". That's a lot of coincidences - too many. It's a perfectly valid theory to suggest they use references. Maybe if you take your cock out of EA's ass for longer than five minutes you'd be able to think a bit more clearly.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 July 15, 22:59:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're such a monumental twat. Los Pescados, More Romantic Than You, Speshul Snowflake and now a shelf with reference to someone thinking they're "awesome". That's a lot of coincidences - too many. It's a perfectly valid theory to suggest they use references. Maybe if you take your cock out of EA's ass for longer than five minutes you'd be able to think a bit more clearly.

Personally, I've always thought of Claeric as more of a bottom.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 July 15, 23:01:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I've always thought of Claeric as more of a bottom.
Ninja'd by Motoki.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
cubedsteaks
Asinine Airhead

Gaben

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 July 15, 23:37:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You make it sound like a conspiracy.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 July 16, 05:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you're seeing a conspiracy. MRTY is obvious, but the fish thing could just be a fish, because it's not special or anything, and Speshul Snowflake is generic and non-specific to MATY, used everywhere on the Internets. That leaves ONE datapoint.

Cocomama
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 July 16, 14:50:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And what about that guy in Rivierview then, he lives underground in a bunker and I think he is insane?
I've always thought that was a hint in your direction.  Wink
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 July 16, 14:56:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, yes, of course. Don't think for a minute that EA people don't read MATY and know the memes, they clearly do.

More F than you
sevrine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 July 16, 16:35:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, yes, of course. Don't think for a minute that EA people don't read MATY and know the memes, they clearly do.

Had this been a shelf offered by Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn, I would obviously have ignored it, but here you have:

1) the whole "show-offy" aspect of things -- which is what fixing code *overnight* that took a team months to write might seem like to a person who works with that team;
2) the complete lack of parallel structure between the concept of a "modest" shelf and one that is awesome -- I still can't figure out the point they are trying to make; and
3) the sad little part at the end about flaunting one's awesomeness and not being that awesome after all.  Whistling in the dark -- good luck with that EA.

This is a company that has very publicly lost hundreds of millions of dollars.  If the person who wrote that had NEVER heard of MATY or the awesomemod, it would shed considerable light on a complete lack of market awareness that would doom the company for real.  I give them credit for taking a potshot, even if the grammar is terrible.

The Sims 3 was the first PC game I purchased since Zork Nemesis.  Within less than a week, reading ONLY the official Sims 3 forum, I already knew there was an "awesome" mod that fixed various bugs.  If the people writing descriptions in the actual game still don't know that, EPIC FAIL.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2010 July 16, 16:48:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look. How's this.

If the next expansion contains an item whose description implies it adamantly claims everyone cares so hard about it that they put it in their games, we'll know they say this topic.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 July 16, 16:55:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

2) the complete lack of parallel structure between the concept of a "modest" shelf and one that is awesome -- I still can't figure out the point they are trying to make; and

It's EA. Their logic is unfathomable. I'm still trying to figure out how seeing a 'familiar' person or couple in the past results in a sometimes gender swapped parthenogenic clone of yourself returning back with you to the present.

So far even using quantum mechanics I am unable to come up with a logical explanation.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
sevrine
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 July 16, 17:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look. How's this.

If the next expansion contains an item whose description implies it adamantly claims everyone cares so hard about it that they put it in their games, we'll know they say this topic.

Or better yet, maybe the long-awaited pets expansion will happen to include a "shouty" vole!

BTW, Claeric, I'm enjoying your very cool picture set (Persona4Paintings_Claeric) -- genuine thanks.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: