More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 21:06:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Mathematical Formula For Picking Realistic Hair and Eye Colors
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Mathematical Formula For Picking Realistic Hair and Eye Colors  (Read 9422 times)
cwurts
Retarded Reprobate

Oona Klostermann for senate.

View Profile WWW
Mathematical Formula For Picking Realistic Hair and Eye Colors
« on: 2010 July 03, 03:08:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For hair colors:

1)  choose random number x from (1 to 206); Green = x+39
2)  choose random number y from (0 to 100); Blue = (102 - ABS(142-Green)) * y / 100
3)  choose random number z from (0 to 80); Red = (102 - ABS(142-Green)) * 0.4 + z + Green

This gives a good range of black, brown, red and blonde hair colors, without any nonsense.  Red is a bit more prominent than I'd like, but that's okay.  I'm hoping someone will add this function as a randomize button in CAS, but all I can do is hope....

My apologies - I made a huge mistake here with the hair colors.  Here is the real formula:

1)  choose random number x from (0..1); Red = x*255
2)  choose random number y from (0..1); Green = (y*0.2083+0.625)*Red
3)  choose random number z from (0..1); Blue = 0.88*y*z*Green

For eye colors:

1) choose random number x from (0 to 223); Blue = x
2) choose random number y from (1 to 2);
3) choose random number z from (0 to 223/y); Red = z; Green = z*y
4) Flip a coin - if tails, switch the red and green values

This gives blues, golds, and any range between brown and green.
« Last Edit: 2010 July 04, 19:16:20 by cwurts » Logged

Join the Oona Klostermann High Society Club
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
Re: Mathematical Formula For Picking Realistic Hair and Eye Colors
« Reply #1 on: 2010 July 03, 04:21:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have way too much time on your hands.

"Of two evils, choose the prettier."
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 July 03, 05:05:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now if you can make those distributions match the real-world results, you'll be onto something.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 July 03, 13:27:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is the same guy whose greatest hits include "Rainy Day Activities!  Come Help Me Sort Over 9000 Pointless Job Titles!" and "Get Me to the Grocery, I Like to Micromanage My Entire Sims 3 Neighborhood At Once".  I'm not really shocked that his latest offering is "Let's Suck All the Fun Out of Create-a-Sim!"

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 July 03, 13:44:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think this was more aimed for use by modders than use by players. It also has no relevance to the actual gameplay itself, so I am moving this out of Facts and Strategery, as it does not represent a usable strategery.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 July 03, 14:16:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is the same guy whose greatest hits include "Rainy Day Activities!  Come Help Me Sort Over 9000 Pointless Job Titles!" and "Get Me to the Grocery, I Like to Micromanage My Entire Sims 3 Neighborhood At Once".  I'm not really shocked that his latest offering is "Let's Suck All the Fun Out of Create-a-Sim!"

But you do get to flip a coin, jezzer. That's a whole world of fun by itself.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
Bottle-O-Cunt
Blathering Buffoon

More Tryhard Than You.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 July 03, 18:09:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not a techhead here, but if you write a working formula for corrected genetics, I shall forever lick your labia.

Shouty Vole/Teh Goddess - My OTP <333
cwurts
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010 July 04, 19:20:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have corrected the mathematical formula for realistic hair colors.  The old formula was causing sim's hair to be pink.  DO NOT USE THE OLD FORMULA.  IT WILL RUIN YOUR SIM'S HAIR AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIX IT WITHOUT A CAS MOD!!!

I apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 July 05, 12:43:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think anyone actually DID use that formula, because your formula is completely unsuitable for human usage and only a machine would process that.

cwurts
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2010 July 05, 19:42:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A calculator is sufficient.  Am I to understand that the average simmer who frequents this site does not own a calculator?  I have one beside my computer at all times.  Come to think of it, I have one on my computer at all times.

Bottle-O-Cunt
Blathering Buffoon

More Tryhard Than You.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 July 05, 21:27:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A calculator is sufficient.  Am I to understand that the average simmer who frequents this site does not own a calculator?  I have one beside my computer at all times.  Come to think of it, I have one on my computer at all times.

Hookah, you still ain't getting what he trying to say, are ya?
Make a fucking mod out of the text you posted, cuntwart.

Shouty Vole/Teh Goddess - My OTP <333
Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2010 July 05, 22:44:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mod, or no mod, why would someone want this? Because skintones are not involved, and even if one did manage to implement skintones as well... It would not result in 'accurate looking' results, because even using the formulas, the game would still manage to generate the Obese, Platinum Blond, Yellow Eyed, Black people that I always seem to find in my game if it is left to generate townies on it's own. It seems impossible, but I swear 80% of the black people the game spawns are blond.

Yeah. I'd rather just editsim any sim I don't like the looks of. Less complicated.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 July 05, 23:24:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah. I'd rather just editsim any sim I don't like the looks of. Less complicated.

But...  but...  this way, you have equations!  Fun with math!  COME ON.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
soozelwoozel
Senator

Success Weasel, School of notovny '11

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 July 06, 00:07:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right, well Moryrie is definitely not getting an invite to my Calculus Céilidh. Jes, you bring the algebra, I will provide long division and cwunts is on punch duty. A rollicking good time will be had by all.

KNOCK KNOCK, JUNIOR\'S HERE
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 July 06, 00:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right, well Moryrie is definitely not getting an invite to my Calculus Céilidh. Jes, you bring the algebra, I will provide long division and cwunts is on punch duty. A rollicking good time will be had by all.
First one to pass out gets an equation on his/her face in permanent marker!

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 July 06, 02:26:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mod, or no mod, why would someone want this? Because skintones are not involved, and even if one did manage to implement skintones as well... It would not result in 'accurate looking' results, because even using the formulas, the game would still manage to generate the Obese, Platinum Blond, Yellow Eyed, Black people that I always seem to find in my game if it is left to generate townies on it's own. It seems impossible, but I swear 80% of the black people the game spawns are blond.

This.

Plus, if his goal were to get this sort of formula used when the game spawns sims I could maybe understand, though it's misguided for the reasons above regarding the frequency of uncommon skin to hair/eye combinations. However, in the original post he mentions wanting it to be made into a randomize button in the CAS. Uh, is it really that hard to take a second to move the cursor on a color wheel to change a hair color you don't like?

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
cwurts
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2010 July 06, 02:47:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If the skintone slider is right of center, then use random numbers between 0 and 0.5 instead of 0 and 1, for both the eyes and hair.  Is that good enough?

And randomly generated townies sucks for other reasons as well - they hardly ever use the more detailed sliders, and never the custom ones.  That's why you have to put more effort into tweaking them - enough effort to make using these formulas seem less tedious by comparison.

Moryrie
Juvenile Jackass

INTJ... Apparently

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2010 July 06, 03:09:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But eye/skin/and hair color are the easiest things to tweak in those cases. And your formula does nothing about facial sculpting, which is what makes any sim look like any particular ethnicity at all. Giving a Korean person blond hair, blue contacts is not going to make them look German, even if they're super pale. If I dyed my hair black, and wore dark brown contacts, I'd still never pass for Japanese, without extreme plastic surgery.

Same goes for sims. If you want to make a sim look like something specific, You are going to have to do all the work yourself, in CAS, because a random button is not going to help, and even with the 'No Vanilla Pudding' feature of Awesomemod, the results are not what one wants, because the generic EA selection of noses/mouths/eyes/headshapes, sucks. Randomizing that sucks more than just picking them out yourself.

And I also rather doubt that your formula would have results in keeping with the statistics of reality. Default everyone to having olive skin, brown eyes, and black/dark brown hair, and you'll be closer to matching that.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 July 06, 03:19:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

even with the 'No Vanilla Pudding' feature of Awesomemod, the results are not what one wants, because the generic EA selection of noses/mouths/eyes/headshapes, sucks. Randomizing that sucks more than just picking them out yourself.

Also NoVanillaPudding seems to employ a Walmart algorithm giving a quite high percentage of obese sims.

So yeah, basically randomizing will always suck and giving odd or less than ideal results that require fine tuning or a lot ignoring.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 July 06, 03:31:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also NoVanillaPudding seems to employ a Walmart algorithm giving a quite high percentage of obese sims.
The bodyshapes of sims have always been entirely random. The reason there is a high percentage of obese sims is because about anything over about 2/3 fatness looks rather obese. Since the range chosen is random, you're going to get a good third of your neighborhood as fatasses. Getting a neighborhood of anorexics is somewhat less likely because the line at which it becomes visible is more like 10%, AND it must be really combined with a lack of beefy arm slider to be apparent, so the actual percentage is closer to like 5% or less. Additionally, a baggy uniform, of which there are many, will hide it even more, while doing nothing to conceal the Landwhale syndrome.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: