More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 15:16:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  How can I get rid of a file I cannot find that, by all means, doesnt exist?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How can I get rid of a file I cannot find that, by all means, doesnt exist?  (Read 17848 times)
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
How can I get rid of a file I cannot find that, by all means, doesnt exist?
« on: 2010 June 17, 01:49:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This dress has plagued my game since I got it. I have never downloaded it. I have never installed it. And yet it sits in my game, put together by a fucking moron, magically appearing as the randomized outfits of every category for almost every female. Including nude.

It is not in my mods backup files, yet it is apparently in one of my combined files. I have recombined files repeatedly, and I have made sure beforehand each time that it is not one of the included files (as far as I can tell, as it is not named the same- I do not have a file named "NewMesh_rose_sims3_body004".

I have reinstalled the game a few times, so I know it's not in a Sims3Pack.

How can I find and eliminate this piece of shit? Is there some way I can search for it in S3PE, in my combined files? What would I search for?

I cannot stand this stupid thing any longer. There's also some horrible horse outfit that came from god knows where, the shoes (hooves) of which the dumbass made random-enabled, but that's another horror story that I can still ignore for now.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: How can I get rid of a file I cannot find that, by all means, doesnt exist?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 June 17, 02:15:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 June 17, 03:04:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can tell you how I got rid of that and every other yucko mesh, pattern, etc. that I had installed in my game.

I started over. From scratch. Cleaned every last bit of Sims3 that I could find from the registry, etc. after uninstalling and installed all over again, and this time, I didn't put in any custom content that I wasn't darn sure I wanted (about 1/8 what I had before). No more stupid Rose meshes, no more stupid peggy hairs for women and men when I wouldn't put them on a male sim in 10,000 years, etc.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 June 17, 03:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can tell you how I got rid of that and every other yucko mesh, pattern, etc. that I had installed in my game.

I started over. From scratch. Cleaned every last bit of Sims3 that I could find from the registry, etc. after uninstalling and installed all over again, and this time, I didn't put in any custom content that I wasn't darn sure I wanted (about 1/8 what I had before). No more stupid Rose meshes, no more stupid peggy hairs for women and men when I wouldn't put them on a male sim in 10,000 years, etc.

What? You mean you don't enjoy toddlers with big hair that look like hookers and female hair adapted for men that makes them look like two bit drag queens with a bad wig?  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010 June 17, 03:54:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want to start over. But now that I think about it, I do have some stuff I really don't want...It'd just be pretty hard to make sure I keep/redownload what I DO want.

Hm. I dunno, I'd still like to find if there's another way.
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 June 17, 03:56:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ayup looks like you're either going to have to start from scratch or check each individual file. Have you installed any sims sims3.packs? Might be how it infected your game if so.

Believe your horse crap came from the same place that dress did. Craptastic centaurs yay?
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010 June 17, 05:42:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At least she was considerate enough to make the actual horse body non-random, despite making the freaking hooves show up on half the women in town.
JamesNine
Blathering Buffoon

Llama

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 June 17, 08:45:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's awful looking. I had to go through my combined packages files a while back because half the NPCs were showing up with either a naked top or bottom... some of them quite disturbingly. Your best bet, if you do restart, would be to combine files in a more organized fashion and then perhaps use the 50% method to find and eliminate this dreaded plague.

Also, once files are combined... can they be uncombined? Maybe do that and then use the ingame delete buttom (does that work?) to eliminate it.

I'm in the same boat as you here. I hate a bunch of shirts I got from one of the downloads. I look forward to a viable and non-nuclear solution Tongue

More Awesome Sig
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 June 17, 08:48:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How does that top stay ON, anyway? It doesn't appear to be strapped to anything and it clearly lacks enough spring tension to simply be held on by elasticity, so how does it stay there? Tape?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 June 17, 08:58:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Double-sided tape is my guess. That, or pure magic.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Painkiller
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 June 17, 09:26:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Here's a way: you say you still have your uncombined files, nope? Download the dashboard tool http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006, read the instructions, remove your combined files and download the shitty outfit from Rose's site. Put it with your uncombined files and launch the dashboard. The tool should find the conflict and point out the two identical files - even if they're named differently. Delete both. Recombine the rest of the files and replace them properly yada yada. It should work.

BTW you didn't have to reinstall your game to remove any installed sims3pack, just delete the dcc files created by the launcher. Don't touch Riverview's ones unless you want to reinstall the damn thing.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 June 17, 11:02:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Riverview doesn't have distinctive DBC files. If you are purging DBCs, you have to purge everything, as they are kitbash files that will resist any single item being filtered out by hand. Like I said: take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Robowolf
Asinine Airhead

Oh, to toss grenades around in space!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 June 17, 11:12:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How does that top stay ON, anyway? It doesn't appear to be strapped to anything and it clearly lacks enough spring tension to simply be held on by elasticity, so how does it stay there? Tape?

The second most common superpower is wearing impossible clothes.
Painkiller
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 June 17, 12:09:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I meant do not touch the stuff in the worlds folders, only the launcher DBC files in the DCCache folder. It will remove all the installed sims3packs at once. I did it when I got fed up with the crappy launcher system for these sims3packs.
Phthon
Blathering Buffoon

Death is but the next great adventure.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 June 17, 14:27:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Riverview doesn't have distinctive DBC files. If you are purging DBCs, you have to purge everything, as they are kitbash files that will resist any single item being filtered out by hand. Like I said: take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

You might need to nuke the moron responsible for the site as well. It might just spawn up somewhere else under a different persona. Heck, nuke the whole genetic line too.

While we are in a purging mood, nuke peggy as well. (I deliberately did NOT capitalize her name...she doesn't merit the honor.)

—Phthon

I thought about being born again, but my mother refused.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 June 17, 14:57:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since this is turning into a bitch session, on a semi-related note, I don't get why 80% of custom content is one two types:

Porcelain pale, shiny, moist anime dolls with big stiff hair wearing clothing that is both surreal and slutty, as if Salvador Dali goes burlesque.

or

Ultra-mod, Laugh In, Austin Powers, Ikea plasticy furniture.

I always think these things have been over done and every single possible item you could think of, and many you never would imagine, have been done on these themes and there's nothing left to do, yet they always seem to crank out more.

Every item that Peggy, Rose, Newsea etc crank out I always get deja vu and think I have seen it before and then I realize I haven't and that they just made 16 other items in the past that look just like it.

Their fixation with putting big, poofy, slutty, ultra feminine hairs on men and toddlers also greatly disturbs me.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2010 June 17, 15:44:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your best bet, if you do restart, would be to combine files in a more organized fashion and then perhaps use the 50% method to find and eliminate this dreaded plague.

MaleClothes
FemaleClothes
Accessories
Hair
Skins
BuildAndBuyMode
Hacks
Sliders
And a folder containing the fully packed Sims 3 Store stuff by month.

Sad

But I can't find it in any of their folders (the backup files).

Here's a way: you say you still have your uncombined files, nope? Download the dashboard tool http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006, read the instructions, remove your combined files and download the shitty outfit from Rose's site. Put it with your uncombined files and launch the dashboard. The tool should find the conflict and point out the two identical files - even if they're named differently. Delete both. Recombine the rest of the files and replace them properly yada yada. It should work.

BTW you didn't have to reinstall your game to remove any installed sims3pack, just delete the dcc files created by the launcher. Don't touch Riverview's ones unless you want to reinstall the damn thing.

tried it, not found. Uninstalled every sims3pack I have, and it is STILL THERE. I must have a modified version of this stupid outfit. I guess I have to start over and just make a shopping list of downloads.

Since this is turning into a bitch session, on a semi-related note, I don't get why 80% of custom content is one two types:

It was the same with The Sims 2.

Those hideous, hideous skins that looked like someone rubbed their entire body in grease were the most popular download. Second was hideous poofy hair. Third was really ugly simplistic "modern" furniture.

Same goes for The Sims 3, for the most part. People are stupid.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 June 17, 19:24:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I literally went 'shopping' and re-downloaded only what I remembered looking good in game. Wasn't much. The one site I tended to DL a lot from was All About Style, but even a lot of her stuff doesn't have that much purpose in-game, so I left 9/10ths of that out this time around, too.

As for that particular Rose clothing item... when it was installed in my game it wound up randomly on a sim that was obese. Really obese...and since Rose doesn't believe in obese...when you put that particular clothing item on a fat sim, she gets that skinny. That made me angry (maybe from the arm in my avatar you can tell I'm not a size 0?)...and thus it had to go.

Claeric - I suspect that this mesh is somehow like that stupid doll file - it's hidden somewhere in your game and I think nukage is the only way you'll be rid of it plus anything else ugly/malfunctioning, etc.

Thank God I learned my lesson about downloading lots way back in the Sims2 days - I don't. Never will.  Not to say I don't like someone else's work and maybe use it as inspiration for a lot for my game, but I'll build my own, tyvm.

TwoToot
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 June 17, 21:18:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As a random guess that will more than likely be useless:

Is the dress like the simpack doll bug? Where it infected sim3packs made after it was downloaded to your game?
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 June 17, 22:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't forget elves and vampires.  ENOUGH WITH THE FUCKING ELVES AND VAMPIRES.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 June 17, 23:11:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The second most common superpower is wearing impossible clothes.
There's this stuff called Hollywood Fashion Tape you can get. It'll hold pretty much anything up, even to tugging. Hurts like hell to take off your skin, though.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
friendlyquark
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 June 18, 01:18:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my friends was a stripper, she used to use a glue stick, said it was much less painful and equally effective as the tape.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 June 18, 01:54:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my friends was a stripper, she used to use a glue stick, said it was much less painful and equally effective as the tape.

That stuff does not wash out of clothing very well.  I like to use a watersalluable double sided tape, normally used as basting tape for quilters.  It does not hurt my skin and if any residue is left behind on the gown, it will wash out with plain water.

This is sooooo off topic.  We should be ashamed of ourselves.
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 June 18, 03:18:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I saw some of that tape at JoAnn Fabrics the other day - so the basting tape people have figured out that it's being used for that purpose and are now marketing it for holding straps in place, etc.

Have y'all ever read the blog Apocalypsticknow? The author swears that every girl should get beauty tips from a drag queen.

And just to put that back on topic a little bit - I wouldn't mind a drag queen in my neighborhoods, but it's gotta be more than just a peggy hair slapped on a male sim...if they're gonna do drag, do it right!

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2010 June 18, 04:05:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Every maid in my game is a drag queen. So much as you can call a guy in a maid dress a drag queen.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: