More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 09:34:00

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  Pudding Factory
| | |-+  Pudding Plots
| | | |-+  Fambly starter - colour challenge.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Fambly starter - colour challenge.  (Read 18712 times)
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Fambly starter - colour challenge.
« on: 2010 June 13, 07:44:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a fambly starter lot at only §19,716 - thanks to the 'wandhere' command in Awesomemod!

Two bedrooms, one with double bed and one with a crib and single bed. Only one bathroom but it has a top quality shower and toilet. Same goes for the fridge and the stove, both are just about as good as it gets. The house is easily expandable on the sides and the outside shape could be kept while doing this. There is still room on the 20x30 lot to have a vege garden and pool, or whatever.

I am sick of trying to think of colour schemes for houses, so I decided to use a web design tool to create one for me. This lot uses a scheme from the Colors on the Web webpage.

There are very few items on the lot that do not comply with these colours, though I did pick a neutral wood floor. It's a bit Simpsons, I admit, I'll probably pick a more pastel scheme for the next lot. See what you think.

I had fun with the lights as well.

Download lot here.

The next two schemes I'm deciding between, both come from stylephreak.

Another interesting looking site is http://colorschemedesigner.com/

So if anyone else is into working to a fixed colour scheme, I'd be most interested to see the results. I found it made me step outside my usual comfort zone of rather earthy colours.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
Re: Fambly starter - colour challenge.
« Reply #1 on: 2010 June 13, 11:51:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, house is cute and this is a great idea, Witch! I don't build a lot, but when I do, selecting colors can be a bit tedious. I've been thinking of just getting my hands on a color wheel to help me with this, but I like the idea of choosing a color scheme this way before beginning. Thanks for the links.

crunk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 June 13, 12:26:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Interesting idea! I've been stuck in a color rut lately and have started a fairly ambitious building project. Thanks to the patch allowing for in-game lot placement I've broken up some of the huge lots and am turning them into affordable housing. I'll play around with this and post pictures if I come up with anything decent.
MissKitty
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 June 13, 12:42:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it can be really hard to find cheap, usable lots for download and I don't really have the patience to build anything but square boxes for them to live in.

The colour scheme idea is really interesting. I have to admit, though, that I'm not really loving that green used here, but, meh, I'll just change it to something a little darker if it stands out in-game. No biggie. Mostly I'm interested in the house for how it's both useful and prettiful. Smiley
graycurse
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 June 13, 13:41:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you ever tried Kuler? I love it and use it all the time. You can find color schemes, or match/complement/etc existing colors.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 June 13, 20:59:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the interior, but the exterior siding with the stripes seems rather strange to me. I'd use a different color on the chair cushions and tone down the kitchen floor to something more neutral. The house has a bit of a light and breezy look to it with all the pastels and the white furniture. Overall I think it's a great idea, and I'm looking forward to the next color scheme.

saraswati
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 June 14, 01:40:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that lot. The thing that drives me craziest is when you have a big lot and it takes way too much time to go from one task to another.

With the stripes, I think it just looks a bit off-balance because it's only in half of the rooms. Other than that, it's fine.

By the way, I notice your roof technique has improved. Smiley
FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

It seems that they all died...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 June 14, 02:40:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you ever tried Kuler? I love it and use it all the time. You can find color schemes, or match/complement/etc existing colors.

That is just amazing! I've been having a hard time picking out color schemes for my houses and they've started to look drab and boring. Thanks for this!

And I like the house Witch, although the outside striping is a little odd. I usually go with some siding for my smaller houses and masonry for the bigger ones, but that's just me.

"Birds, flowers, sun...Hawaii does not exist. It's a myth...like tough liberals, or the Canadian army."
You should click on this.
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 June 14, 02:51:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a big fan of Kuler as well. Since discovering it, my houses are starting to have a lot more variety color-scheme wise.

I sing along with elevator music.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 June 14, 06:42:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheers for the Kuler link, I've added it to my bookmarks. I try to go for sets of at least 6 colours to play with, four doesn't seem quite enough.

Agree on the comments about the striped house outside, I was unsure about that all the way through, but then I decided it fitted the cartoony look of sims 3. It's all one wall covering though, so easy enough to change.

Yeah Saraswati, I'm getting better at roofs.  Cheesy

So, challenge time, share your colours ...

Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 June 15, 00:56:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your house is so colorful on the inside that I actually thought the stripes on the outside looked cute and of course they coordinated nicely. Plus, it was unique and different. It might be interesting to see what different treatments do to the overall look, though.

You inspired me yesterday so I'll try to post some screen shots. I usually suck at doing this so we'll see if I phail. heh. (Assuming they work at all, edited to make the pics a little larger so they're easier to see.)

This is a mid-priced family home - my goal was to create an 'in between' house that had room for a growing family but didn't cost too much. On a 20x20 lot the price is just under 30k.

I started off with a turquoise/blue/peach color theme on the main floor. It's OK, but I'm not crazy about it. Suggestions?

Basement is only partially furnished; just carried some of the blue down there.

Upstairs is where I had some fun. I started looking at a home decorating book I had and veered off course; I just really loved a picture in the book of a room done all in citrus colors, so I started there, with the kids room. Carried the yellow out into the hall, and used the color wheel for the contrasting colors used in the master. Got way out of my decorating box on this floor and had a blast, even if no one else likes it. Wink

« Last Edit: 2010 June 15, 01:30:54 by Tangie » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 June 15, 03:02:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Before I even mention your colours, I have to say I like the orientation of your house. It could sit either way on a lot rotation. That was also the idea behind my steps coming off sideways on both sides. Your pictures are fine, but I find the grid distracting. There's a button to turn off the internal grid, or I usually put a sim or two in the lot for pics so as to avoid the grid entirely.

Colours now. Turquoise and peach would be fine but I think the problem with downstairs is that the turquoise dominates utterly. I tried mostly using the neutral grey or white as a background, then adding the stronger colours as accents. Also some textures show the colour differently, for instance, your couches don't look very peach and there's not much peach showing elsewhere.

I do like the kids' citrus bedroom, even the pattern/stripe clash works in this context - IMHO! I'm also a lilac/green fan, so no complaints here. The basement was a smart move and one I totally forgot about, that would allow room for another bedroom/bathroom combo and maybe a play/party/skilling room.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2010 June 15, 06:13:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tend to pick matching colors or patterns and paste them all over a house (assuming the house doesnt have a theme, I like to think I'm pretty good with themed stuff). The first Sims 3 house I made was all the same color because I couldn't think of anything. The site you linked will be a fantastic help because, as that first house shows, a bunch of color variety can still be very, very consistent and pretty.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 June 15, 22:40:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the feedback, Witch. Those main floor colors just weren't doing it for me, either! That's why I kinda gave up on the color theme and just started thumbing through my decorating book.

I reworked the colors on the main floor. Still pretty much the same color family, but I do like it better although it's still a whole lotta color. 

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 June 15, 23:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I like it much better with the more muted tones, Tangie.

The houses I have my playable/sacred sims live in are color coded to them and given whatever design style it seems like the adults would want. The other houses, those I build to wait for townies to move into, are internally in boring creams, whites, and grays. My playables don't visit in townie homes that often, preferring to associate with other playables who have nicely decorated pads. Externals, I pick one premade swatch and then do the other finishes in complementary or contrasting tones.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 June 16, 06:39:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, much better Tangie. I like the peach kitchen, it gives a little warmth to the scheme.

crunk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 June 16, 15:55:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm really struggling with this - I keep generating colors schemes and dismissing them as hideous, but I've been using the same range of blues and neutrals in all of my houses for a month or more - I'm bored!

Any suggestions?

The houses I have my playable/sacred sims live in are color coded to them and given whatever design style it seems like the adults would want.

I've been doing this for a while, using the favorite colors of the adults and customizing bedrooms to the spawns' favorites, but I've had multiple generations now with almost identical favorite colors.

The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 June 16, 16:33:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm really struggling with this - I keep generating colors schemes and dismissing them as hideous, but I've been using the same range of blues and neutrals in all of my houses for a month or more - I'm bored!

Any suggestions?

I was at the hardware store this weekend choosing paint for my kitchen.  Most hardware stores will have project idea cards right there in the paint section.  They are free and have great color combination ideas on them, as well as photos of rooms that the color schemes have been used in.  I picked up about a dozen of the little pamphlets. Check them out next time you're shopping, or check their web sites to see if they have them on-line.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 June 16, 22:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The houses I have my playable/sacred sims live in are color coded to them and given whatever design style it seems like the adults would want. The other houses, those I build to wait for townies to move into, are internally in boring creams, whites, and grays. My playables don't visit in townie homes that often, preferring to associate with other playables who have nicely decorated pads. Externals, I pick one premade swatch and then do the other finishes in complementary or contrasting tones.

BTW, you might find this interesting (or not, heh) but I built this house pre-AMB and it is based on a house (on Lexington Ave) that caught my eye; I pass it going to and from work everyday. The front step goes all across the house and has four 2-story columns that hold up a rounded roof off the second story. It's one of those older homes that I always think are very "stately" looking. Still can't do round, but I tried re-doing the front entrance using the new two-story columns and I actually liked this version better. The scale just wasn't right with such a large front porch.

And I don't tend to even build homes for sims I don't plan to play. If I did, I wouldn't spend much time decorating them, either.

@crunk: Is there a public library near you? You might find some books on decorating with color. I have found the one I have to be very helpful. It's called the Color Scheme Bible (by Anna Starmer) and is full of color schemes in just about every color you can imagine. Each scheme will list 5 colors: a main color for the walls, specify which color to use for the woodwork, another color for upholstery, and then it suggests two accent colors and what kind of items (like vases) to use them on. I have really found it inspiring and I've found myself using all kinds of combinations I never would have before, so maybe you'll find it helpful, too. I might not paint my own house these colors, but it sure is fun decorating sims' houses!

Honey and Vanilla Cream with some chocolate and a sprinkle of raspberry. NOT something I would have ever created on my own. Unless I was planning to eat it, lol.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 June 16, 23:31:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BTW, you might find this interesting (or not, heh) but I built this house pre-AMB and it is based on a house (on Lexington Ave) that caught my eye; I pass it going to and from work everyday. The front step goes all across the house and has four 2-story columns that hold up a rounded roof off the second story. It's one of those older homes that I always think are very "stately" looking. Still can't do round, but I tried re-doing the front entrance using the new two-story columns and I actually liked this version better. The scale just wasn't right with such a large front porch.

And I don't tend to even build homes for sims I don't plan to play. If I did, I wouldn't spend much time decorating them, either.
I think I know what house you are talking about. Post pics (or PM me pics) when you're done.

I do build for townies because my 'hood is self-created with tiny lots, so finding lots for it would be difficult. I pull a houseplan for 1 out of 4, but usually the number of bedrooms I need and the lot size kinds of determines the build.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 June 18, 00:39:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, I stuck with the Honey, Vanilla, Chocolate, Raspberry, and Bright Pink color scheme (edited to add: except for the exterior, obviously - because I forgot), as mentioned and shown in the pic above. I rebuilt the house, though. I have trouble with this and tend to make them oversized.

Craftsman style with a garage that could be used for other purposes. Depreciated so it should cost less than 19-20k, depending on the cost of the lot you place it on. It has 2 BR, one with a full-sized bed and the other with a twin bed and a crib. Top of the line shower but the toilets and sinks are lowest level (useful for building handiness), and the stove and refrigerator are not the lowest but not the highest, either. Bookcase and cheap TV but no other skill-building objects, and the landscaping is rather sparse but it was the best I could do on a budget. Tongue

ETA: file has been updated, see the end of this post.

If you want it, you can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zcxxhnzmjlm

I had a big problem with the roof over the front porch. No matter what I tried, I could not cover that triangular piece of wall that is created under it. You might be able to see it in the pic. Maybe eventually siding can be applied to it should some miracle occur.

Front of house (with bummer bare spot under porch roof)

Back of house:

Interior shots:

ETA: OK, take 2. I recolored it and YAY. Colors are now consistant AND I was able to apply siding to that little roof bit that refused to work earlier. Can be downloaded at this link: http://www.mediafire.com/?awtewwifmt4

New Pic:

« Last Edit: 2010 June 18, 01:44:54 by Tangie » Logged
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 June 18, 02:06:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You know I'm going to have to download this because it was built in my world.  That and it is really nice.  Can I add it to my updated Fargo… When if EA fixes CAW?
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 June 18, 02:16:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sure. I started a new game (still empty of sims at this point) because my old one is probably toast and there are lots of empty lots that are perfect for building. And I found those 20x30 lots opposite the community buildings to be perfect for the fire station, the salon, and something else - laundrymat?

I've downloaded about 17 custom worlds and yours is still one of my favs. I was looking forward to the update with the bridge to the island. Let's hope EA fixes CAW!
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 June 18, 02:35:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I fixed all of its problems (floating man whole, added land bridge to island) but decided to wait until Ambitions came out to upload the new and improved.  I thought there might be new stuff I would like to add.  I was right, but now I can't add all the cool new buildings I built and upload the darn thing.  I built a better Laundromat that fits the spot next to the church, and a junkyard/consignment store by the science center.   I put the fire station in the suburbs near the farm land.  I wanted it more central because there is a whole new neighborhood by the science center now.   As soon as CAW is fixed I'll upload it before EA breaks it again. 
FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

It seems that they all died...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 June 18, 03:12:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love the interior of that house Tangie, it looks like a fancy pack of chocolate truffles with raspberry filling. Mmm... To me the garage looks a little big though. But how did you attach it to the house without a foundation?

"Birds, flowers, sun...Hawaii does not exist. It's a myth...like tough liberals, or the Canadian army."
You should click on this.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: