More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 13:27:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Creepy Doll in ur files messin with ur Sims3Packs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Creepy Doll in ur files messin with ur Sims3Packs  (Read 38300 times)
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
Re: Creepy Doll in ur files messin with ur Sims3Packs
« Reply #50 on: 2010 June 25, 00:20:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded 1 lot from TSR no others and I'm so fed up of the damn doll, my fault I suppose for using TSR but the doll is not mentioned at all in the downloads folder.  So the only way is to check the dbc files then, as I not that computer savvy I don't want to mess around with them I think I'm just going to have to do it my way.  So I don't have any lots from MTS and just the one from tsr which I deleted do I only need to check all of my downloads or just tsr ?

Creepy doll has left the building, stupidly did'nt check the installed content until I was told so thank you. My stupidity and I will go back to lurking for now.

As I stated twice already, uninstalling the doll from the launcher removes it from the dbc file. You don't have to be computer savvy, just open the launcher, scroll through a long assed list until you get to the doll and then remove it via the launcher.

As also has been noted repeatedly, you need to find the package file of it (0x038a68fe04da61a6aa65f939d77fbc37.package) and also remove that from the DCBackup.

To be on the safe side it's probably a good idea to search the My Documents/Electronic Arts/ directory including all subdirectories for "0x038a68fe04da61a6aa65f939d77fbc37.package" and "doll" and make sure there's not another instance of it hiding somewhere.

Also be aware that it is not just TSR files that can contain that doll and potentially it can be in any sims3pack file from any site. The doll embeds itself in files that people create and upload. It's likely there are people who have it and don't even know, passing it along in their uploads without realizing it.

A safe proceedure to do prior to installing sims3pack files is to open them in Delphy's Custard Tool and scan the contents inside the file being on the lookout for the doll. It will be 0x038a68fe04da61a6aa65f939d77fbc37.package and also bring up a little icon of the doll in CUSTARD when you highlight it.

CUSTARD is a fairly user friendly tool so again you don't need to be computer savvy to use it. If the sims3pack just contains the actual content, thumbnails (they are safe) and the doll you can safely remove the doll. However if it contains the doll and a whole bunch of other crap I wouldn't recommend installing it. It's good practice to verify your files are clean prior to uploading and for lot creators to not include any custom content they used on the lot but instead reference those items with credits and links.
« Last Edit: 2010 June 25, 00:27:36 by Motoki » Logged

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Cerridwen
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2010 June 25, 03:11:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posibly a stupid question- If I do not see the doll as a buyable item in game and I did a search on 0x038a68fe04da61a6aa65f939d77fbc37.package in my DCBackup folder and it is not found, it is safe to say I do not have this in my game?
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2010 June 25, 04:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posibly a stupid question- If I do not see the doll as a buyable item in game and I did a search on 0x038a68fe04da61a6aa65f939d77fbc37.package in my DCBackup folder and it is not found, it is safe to say I do not have this in my game?
Either that, or it's escaped from the game and is lurking in your closet, awaiting nightfall.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2010 June 25, 05:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Check under the bed.
CatalystToChange
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2010 July 01, 01:07:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also got this doll from an "infected" lot from the Exchange, but it didn't cause any problems at all with my game. However, I deleted it (better safe than sorry), and I got the new, "fixed" version straight from Rebecah's TSR account. I also asked her about the situation directly, and she said she's had the doll tested and has been working tirelessly to figure out just what is wrong with the doll, and also mentioned that a few people (like Delphy, I believe) helped her test it after getting reports it was bugged.

What strikes me most odd is that apparently the doll had been up since February, and she didn't get any comments saying it was bugged until recently. I know a lot of people like to say these things just to cover their asses, but, I dunno. She DID fix the doll on her site, though, so that kinda shows she's making some effort to fix the issue? I think the only way the issue's actually going to get fixed, though, is to make everyone in the Sims community (which is a lot of freaking people) aware of the "bugged" doll, and if they really like it (I personally think it's a cute toy for Sim toddlers), they can download the fixed version from TSR. However, it's hard to get to 50 trillion (okay, that's exaggerated, but I have no clue exactly how many people realize this is a problem) people and get the information spread over such a wide network. :/

I've seen a lot of topics on the subject, and I agree it is a reason for concern, whether it is a mistake on Rebecah's part, or some other strange occurrence (I personally think perhaps someone messed with the original file and then uploaded to the Exchange in the hopes of sabotaging EA and the Exchange? A lot of people seem to be very against the Exchange, from what I've seen, so interwebz warfare seems highly likely.), but a lot of times everyone's just pointing fingers and playing the blame game...Really not the way to fix the situation. The only way this can get fixed is through awareness and caution, kinda like an internet STD. Tongue I, personally, won't be using the Exchange anymore, except to upload random Sims if I feel like it. I recommend everyone else does the same. (All I'm gonna say...Excuse the rant.  ^ ^; -Whew-)
Sigmund
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2010 July 01, 01:22:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's entirely possible people commented that the download was borked earlier, but TSR deleted them. TSR is notorious for deleting anything other than "thanks, this is grate!!!" kind of comments.

I sing along with elevator music.
CatalystToChange
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2010 July 01, 01:27:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In that case, I stand corrected. I never use TSR, so I was unaware of this. Actually I hardly ever use any other site other than MTS to get my custom content...Well, MTS, PeggySims, and XMSims are the ones I use most, and the latter two I only really use to obtain hairstyles. But you get what I'm saying. Back to the subject at hand, though...The doll never did anything to my game, and I had it for a good while. Two weeks at least, maybe three. Then again, I never used it, either.
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2010 July 01, 01:44:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also asked her about the situation directly, and she said she's had the doll tested and has been working tirelessly to figure out just what is wrong with the doll

It's relentlessly creepy and eats the souls of young children.  She can't be working THAT tirelessly if she hasn't figured that much out.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2010 July 01, 13:21:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also got this doll from an "infected" lot from the Exchange, but it didn't cause any problems at all with my game. However, I deleted it (better safe than sorry), and I got the new, "fixed" version straight from Rebecah's TSR account. I also asked her about the situation directly, and she said she's had the doll tested and has been working tirelessly to figure out just what is wrong with the doll, and also mentioned that a few people (like Delphy, I believe) helped her test it after getting reports it was bugged.

All she is doing is whining about how it isn't her fault and how people are so abusive: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/221983.page

This made me laugh after what TSR has done on multiple occasions to various creators. She is getting plenty of well-deserved negativity.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2010 July 01, 15:50:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay some things about the doll.

I don't believe it to be sabotage. I believe Inge posted some Ingelogical explanation of an incorrect reference or some such. Also Rebecah herself said it was a mistake. It was just half assery object creation.

As stated, TSR regularly deletes unflattering comments. Most likely someone did comment on it. In addition, the Exchange and Mod The Sims were deleting multiple threads where people were talking about it. Gee what happens when you censor people? I don't know, maybe you stir them up more? So at least some of the vitriol surrounding this doll is due to fans being flamed by overzealous moderation. In the case of the exchange they went rather schizo and after multiple thread deletions, one of the Sim Gurus then posted an official warning about it.  Roll Eyes

Simply not downloading from the Exchange or TSR or any one single site will not solve the issue nor will it prevent you from getting the doll. I downloaded items from several smaller sites that contained the doll. Because it embeds itself into uploads when the creator is unaware, it can potentially be in any sim3pack from any site. About the only ones you can consider safe are EA store items.

On the other hand, it's no big thing to just run the sims3pack files you download through Delphy's CUSTARD tool and take a peek at what's inside them. It takes less than a minute. I downloaded several lots from the Exchange last night. Only one had the doll and I was able to remove it in CUSTARD before I installed it. No harm done.

Regarding whether or not the doll actually does any damage and should be removed, some have claimed it caused corruption and/or crashing in their games. It's likely voodoo, however anyone has it should remove it anyhow. Even if someone doesn't intend to ever share any creations they may at some future date. It's best to just get rid of it. If you want the doll there's a fixed replacement at TSR. I would strongly suggest not keeping the broken one. The less people who have it the better.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2010 July 01, 22:10:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Note: TSR is not a pay site, it is a subscription site with approximately 80% of the content being free.

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: