More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 16:23:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  "Sims Launcher has encountered an issue and is closing"
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "Sims Launcher has encountered an issue and is closing"  (Read 8476 times)
rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
"Sims Launcher has encountered an issue and is closing"
« on: 2010 June 08, 04:42:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Starting last week I began to see a message that my launcher wouldn't initialize.  The cc would install so I ignored it.  Today after I installed Ambitions, I was having CTD when entering a lot.  I was attempting to play a vanilla game as I had pulled all of my mods and cc.  I decided to uninstall Ambitions

I'm not sure what possessed me, but I uninstalled the rest of my Sims 3 games.  I reinstalled/installed the base game three times.  After each time I've installed the game, I would attempt to start up a vanilla game and receive the above message.  It will not start.  I've tried to install Riverview from the store and still get the same message.  The forums (for what they are worth) are down for maintenance.  I have tried using the TS3.exe to start the base game and still get the same message.  

I have used AM from the beginning.  Typically I don't use the launcher to play my game.  I use the launcher to install my cc and to patch as I honestly don't understand most of the explanations of how to use the alternatives.  I figured it was better to use the "evil" launcher than to destroy my computer/game.  Obviously I was wrong about that.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem and if there is a solution?  My personal geek suggested that I call EA support.  That should be fun.

ETA:  Apparently the Geek's installation and glaring at the computer worked.  I can now access the base game via the TS3.exe.  My concern now is patching the game.  I have AM waiting to be placed.  I still plan on chewing on an Electronic Arts tech person tomorrow.

« Last Edit: 2010 June 08, 05:17:11 by rhodaloo » Logged
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
Re: "Sims Launcher has encountered an issue and is closing"
« Reply #1 on: 2010 June 08, 05:15:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Starting last week I began to see a message that my launcher wouldn't initialize.  The cc would install so I ignored it.  Today after I installed Ambitions, I was having CTD when entering a lot.  I was attempting to play a vanilla game as I had pulled all of my mods and cc.  I decided to uninstall Ambitions

This was on old AM issue which has been addressed.  Were you using AM at the time?

I'm not sure what possessed me, but I uninstalled the rest of my Sims 3 games.  I reinstalled/installed the base game three times.  After each time I've installed the game, I would attempt to start up a vanilla game and receive the above message.  It will not start.  I've tried to install Riverview from the store and still get the same message.  The forums (for what they are worth) are down for maintenance.  I have tried using the TS3.exe to start the base game and still get the same message. 

I wouldn't be surprised if EA took their forums offline because of all the issues that are no doubt being raised.

If your on a PC, the problem could be with the EADM.  If the EADM isn't installed right, or working right, the launcher won't work right either.  Sometimes when updating the EADM update fails, which in turn screws everything else.  A quick google search and you should be able to download a copy of the EADM to install manually.  If your on a MAC, then I don't know what else to suggest.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 June 08, 05:18:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I was using AM at the time.  I shall goggle EADM tomorrow.  I've manually installed it a couple of times.  

ETA:  Manually uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help.  I also stumped the EA tech help also.  My issues are going to be evaluated by the senior tech staff.  I should hear back from them in 24-48 hours.  My specs are fine but I knew that before I called.  I tried using the links to install the updates--"invalid" file.

If anyone here has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.  I'm seriously considering installing on my son's computer to see what happens.
« Last Edit: 2010 June 08, 15:43:02 by rhodaloo » Logged
Vylaina
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 June 11, 08:39:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having the same issue as you, and I've had it before. The first time I got the Sims 3 I was running Vista, and when I tried to play the vanilla game I got the error message:
"The sims 3 launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close." It then went on to ask me to file an error report, etc, etc. It was a while back, but if I remember correctly the solution was to right-click the icon of the game launcher and select 'run as administrator- (even though I was on an administrator account, damn Vista!). I don't think that alone was enough though, because I had to go to compatibilities and check... Windows 2000 mode, I think it was.
I hope that helps you, if you have Vista that is. I'm now running Windows XP and am having exactly the same problem, and I have no idea how to fix it.  Sad

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Louis Hector Berlioz
suziblue
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 June 11, 19:25:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this same issue after I decided to install Ambitions on my desktop. I still had the Razor version on that computer, so decided to uninstall and reinstall with the retail version first. I would only get as far as the base game, then couldn't use the launcher to patch. I would get that same message (that the launcher couldn't initialize). I uninstalled twice more before deciding to just patch manually. Then the patch wouldn't install, I got the "invalid file" message. I figured out what was happening was that upon uninstall some files were left behind. The new shortcuts were pointing to the old files.  I deleted all those manually (after uninstalling) and everything worked when I reinstalled.
rhodaloo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 June 11, 19:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I finally had to manually install the patches via the links on MTS.  Now I'm playing without major issues.  The launcher works also.  I'm doing my best not to muck with the luancher.
violetlass
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 June 15, 05:11:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a some what of the same problem after I I did the recent patch, come to find out TS3 was no longer in my control panel, but was still in the C Drive. Had to uninstall everything manually then reinstall everything, I let the game patch itself when I installed them up to Ambitions, now I have no interactions with my simmies and I am trying to figure that one out.

But do check and see if the game is installed in the add/remove programs that could be part of the issue with that error message.

Drowelvenmaiden
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 June 18, 18:09:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reinstal, repatch and instal EADM. This worked to me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: