More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 15:52:11

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Still planing with TS2 anyone ?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Still planing with TS2 anyone ?  (Read 44885 times)
MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
Still planing with TS2 anyone ?
« on: 2010 June 05, 08:27:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, look, really, i can't play with TS3, it's ....
it's ....

so, i was wondering if anyone still planing with TS2

p.s.
don't blame me for my English take it as it is Tongue
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Still planing with TS2 anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 June 05, 08:35:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Pudding has that effect on many people, it seems. It just isn't quite mature as a game yet, unlike TS2. Maybe this expansion or one to come will give it that thing it needs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 June 05, 09:43:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think to TS3... I feel ... betrayed Sad
« Last Edit: 2010 June 05, 10:22:39 by MaximilianPS » Logged
JerseyGirlOOOO
Retardo Lander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 June 05, 10:09:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i think to TS3... I feel ... betrayed Sad

There's a fucking shift key on your keyboard for a reason jerkass!  Fucking use it!

But for the topic at hand, I have never, ever, ever, played Sims 3.  Never bought it, or arred it.  Don't want to, and never will.  The expansion packs are shit.  Everything about the game is shit.  It's just a gigantic, steaming pile of shit.

Never trust anyone.  Ever.  It will be the biggest mistake of your life.
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 June 05, 11:06:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But for the topic at hand, I have never, ever, ever, played Sims 3.  Never bought it, or arred it.  Don't want to, and never will.  The expansion packs are shit.  Everything about the game is shit.  It's just a gigantic, steaming pile of shit.

You can't say it's shit when you haven't even tried it. I tried it and did find it to be shit, but at least I gave it a go.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 June 05, 13:18:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a fucking shift key on your keyboard for a reason jerkass!  Fucking use it!

Sod off, JerseygirlZERO.  IIRC, Max carries the ESL trait, and is one of our only esteemed undead members.  You, on the other hand, have not passed the DO WE KNOW YOU?; DO WE LIKE YOU? bar, as yet (longtime lurker or not).  It is not your place to ramble on about shift keys.  In this context, your personal opinion of the pudding is irrelevant and uninteresting.  It is also not the topic at hand.  The topic at hand is "are we playing (spelling correction there, Max) with TS2?"

I would agree with Pescado that the pudding is not mature.  I still enjoy my TS2 game, primarily because there are a wide range of things sims can do in that game that are not available in TS3.  I was always fond of the supernaturals in TS2.  Additionally, I had not finished exploring all the possibilities that TS2 offered before TS3 came out, so there are things that my sims have not tried yet.  I am going to keep both TS2 and pudding loaded for some time to come.

Tribulatio proxima est
MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 June 05, 13:32:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a fucking shift key on your keyboard for a reason jerkass!  Fucking use it!

But for the topic at hand, I have never, ever, ever, played Sims 3.  Never bought it, or arred it.  Don't want to, and never will.  The expansion packs are shit.  Everything about the game is shit.  It's just a gigantic, steaming pile of shit.
I wonder what do you want from my shift key ? Tongue

.. said that, I wish to share this news, i'm working on a new land ^_^

actually we have a graveyard on the left side, with a "creepy castle" on the top of the hill, while on
the right side , small and hidden by the tree, there is the hermit house...

The topic at hand is "are we playing (spelling correction there, Max) with TS2?"
I am going to keep both TS2 and pudding loaded for some time to come.

yes, the title was a sort of that, a cryptic title to try to resurrect all ts2 player  Wink
maybe "someone still plays with TS2?" is correct ?
« Last Edit: 2010 June 05, 14:27:44 by MaximilianPS » Logged
BattyCoda
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 June 05, 15:50:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to say that I, too, have been drawn back into TS2. I think part of it is the lack of the attraction system in TS3. TS2 has more to do. Collecting is good in moderation, but it seems TS3 is heavily biased in that direction. The puddings are another turn off. They just look weird, especially after all the advances in skins and clothing in TS2.

I still play TS3 a bit, but I enjoy my TS2 game more.
Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 June 05, 16:25:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, still playing it several hours a day.  Haven't seen anything yet in the Puddings that is of any interest.  Ugly Sims, stupid chase around minigames, disappearing neighbors, and that's just what I can think of in my pre-caffinated state.

Sims 2 didn't take a fucking year to "mature".  I don't recall seeing "has anyone else dumped Sims 2" threads on every board I'm on after it came out, which I do for Sims 3.  Personally I suspect that Sims 3 was designed by juveniles who think that's the whole appeal of the game and it won't ever mature.
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 June 05, 17:12:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The leap from TS1 to TS2 was a lot greater than the leap from TS2 to TS3, which might explain some of the disappointment. TS2 brought completely new and revolutionary things like genetics and aging, which was a huge deal to a lot of people. Open world doesn't quite match that.

Funnily enough, TS3 made the genetics more crappy instead of better. That was a major drawback for me.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 June 05, 19:21:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still torn between the two games. One the one hand in TS2, as others have noted, you get genetics, but on the other in TS3 there's the whole neighbourhood ageing. I like realism in games and TS2 started to feel like work, when I had to go and play each lot in rotation to keep everyone the same age. Then again, some of the TS3 stuff irritates the crap out of me, especially the endless collecting. For building and designing I adore TS3, that design tool is the shizz. I keep looking for it when I'm building in TS2. Ideally I'd like a game that combined the best of both worlds.

@MaximilianPS: That's a lovely looking layout, a little cove in the hills with the river running through it. Just one comment though, the tall buildings at the top of the hill look a bit overwhelming and intimidating, not to mention unnatural. In real cities the densest building is generally in the middle. It might look odd to have a kind of seaside village with skyscrapers  looming over it. BTW your English is quite understandable - much better that my (German?) would be. (Not sure where you hail from, just guessing).

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 June 05, 21:30:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still torn between the two games. One the one hand in TS2, as others have noted, you get genetics, but on the other in TS3 there's the whole neighbourhood ageing. I like realism in games and TS2 started to feel like work, when I had to go and play each lot in rotation to keep everyone the same age. Then again, some of the TS3 stuff irritates the crap out of me, especially the endless collecting. For building and designing I adore TS3, that design tool is the shizz. I keep looking for it when I'm building in TS2. Ideally I'd like a game that combined the best of both worlds.

I like rotating the households; keeps each one exciting if you limit yourself to 1 - 2 seasons of time on each. I actually wish TS2 had some of the features from TS1. The butter churn, bee colony and spinning wheel were great fun! The collecting in TS3 bored me greatly after about a day. And, IMO, the design tool is overrated. It made creating a house incredibly tediously slow, although it is fun if you're in a particularly creative mood.

YoungOldPrude
Corpulent Cretin

Cat-aholic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 June 05, 23:06:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nearly everything in TS3 is cheerful to the point of causing nausea, cowardly, insulting, tedious—except for the jogging—starting (with the aid of World Adventures) in Al Simhara at the mountain landing just above the Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, all the way down to the gorgeous water past the Ruins of Karnak…just delete the Fatigue Moodlet until your Sims become more accomplished and you're all set.
Yep. That's about the only thing that TS3 and WA are good for…jogging in a desert. Hmm…

Although I was rather disgusted with TS2's glitches a while back; I am a much more tolerant person now, so yes, I still play it.
I am also still playing TS1, which I have never been able to uninstall. There's just something about it. Probably the music that came with Makin' Magic, along with the mist-filled village and the glorious, moon-swept fields…and the strange noises that can be heard at night…the butter churn…the autumn foliage… I better quit there.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life—music and cats." ~Albert Schweitzer

"Happy people can be so cruel."
~ Claudia of Silent Hill 3.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 June 05, 23:25:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that the "French" music station in TS3 is the music from "Makin' Magic".

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
YoungOldPrude
Corpulent Cretin

Cat-aholic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 June 05, 23:35:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like that the "French" music station in TS3 is the music from "Makin' Magic".

I think that they only used two or three from Makin' Magic, though.  They did include three new tracks...which I confess to finding not as additive or moving.

That's what is wrong with TS3: Lack of Effort.

"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life—music and cats." ~Albert Schweitzer

Georgette
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 June 05, 23:38:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although I was rather disgusted with TS2's glitches a while back; I am a much more tolerant person now, so yes, I still play it.
I am also still playing TS1, which I have never been able to uninstall. There's just something about it. Probably the music that came with Makin' Magic, along with the mist-filled village and the glorious, moon-swept fields…and the strange noises that can be heard at night…the butter churn…the autumn foliage… I better quit there.

Yes! The atmosphere in Makin' Magic was so eerie and actually felt a bit magical. TS2 and TS3 failed epically on that.

YoungOldPrude
Corpulent Cretin

Cat-aholic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 June 06, 00:36:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes! The atmosphere in Makin' Magic was so eerie and actually felt a bit magical. TS2 and TS3 failed epically on that.

I concur.
If there was ever a time when I truly longed to fall through my computer screen, it had to be when I was playing Makin' Magic.
WA had such potential. But what does EA create? Three huge, redundant, memory-sucking neighborhoods that have no cultural appeal or lasting satisfaction. Yet a little town in Makin' Magic practically oozed sensation and character.
Quality, where are you now?
« Last Edit: 2010 June 06, 01:55:34 by YoungOldPrude » Logged

DrNerd
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 June 06, 02:54:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still can't get past the doughy, boneless look of the TS3 Sims.  I don't have it and can't run it on my computer, but I have not experienced overwhelming sadness about not having it.

The thing I miss most from TS1 is the gnome-making bench (and the gargoyle-making bench, I suppose).  One of my favorite things to do was to make them make gnomes until they were in multiple motive failure, then let them eat, pee, and nap, then back out to more gnomes until they were in multiple motive failure, and after a couple of days, when you let them sleep, they'd have nightmares about making gnomes, and wake up with little "gnome" thought bubbles.

Lerf
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 June 06, 03:40:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of the few reasons I'd consider going back to Sims 1 is the Makin' Magic stuff.

But, yeah, lack of genetics is another big reason for avoiding the S3.  I like it when somebody's red hair pops up 3 generations down the line in an otherwise black-haired family.  That and the no personalities thing.  Quirks do not equate to personality.  All they seem to be is Stupid Sim trick generators.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 June 06, 04:23:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, Mr. Jolrei beat me to the...well, beatings, but I did want to say that I am installing ALL of TS2 right NOW. I have never had all of them before. I have not played in 18+ months. This is like Christmas but without Uncle Fritz passing out in a ditch somewhere.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Yimmit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 June 06, 05:05:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The thing I miss most from TS1 is the gnome-making bench (and the gargoyle-making bench, I suppose). 

I completely forgot how bummed I was that there was no gnome-making bench in the Sims 2. I looked through every category in buy mode the first day I had the game.

My computer can't run 3 and I still play 2 as much as I ever did. I even have two uninstalled expansion packs around here somewhere.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 June 06, 08:18:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But, yeah, lack of genetics is another big reason for avoiding the S3.  I like it when somebody's red hair pops up 3 generations down the line in an otherwise black-haired family.  That and the no personalities thing.  Quirks do not equate to personality.  All they seem to be is Stupid Sim trick generators.
Sims 2 sims didn't have "personalities" either. They had slider bars, but these bars basically had zero effect unless you were hitting a "breakpoint". For instance, absolutely nothing distinguishes, say, Outgoing 6 from Outgoing 7, as this has not hit a breakpoint. Switching to a trait based system is pretty much what I already did in Awesomeland: Added defineable behavioral quirks that would otherwise have occurred at specific breakpoints, or not at all. Like Miss Mean's drinking habits are not the result of any personality slider, they're a result of the Lush trait. The resulting behavior is distinctive and unlike that of other sims. You can't get this out of a "personality" slider bar that has maybe 3 distinct breakpoint zones.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
MaximilianPS
Undead Member

da grammar killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 June 06, 10:15:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For instance, absolutely nothing distinguishes, say, Outgoing 6 from Outgoing 7, as this has not hit a breakpoint. Switching to a trait based system is pretty much what I already did in Awesomeland: Added defineable behavioral quirks that would otherwise have occurred at specific breakpoints, or not at all. Like Miss Mean's drinking habits are not the result of any personality slider, they're a result of the Lush trait. The resulting behavior is distinctive and unlike that of other sims. You can't get this out of a "personality" slider bar that has maybe 3 distinct breakpoint zones.

Ok but this is 'cause the computer works on this way, you can set variables with numbers, so Sims have variables that define the traits, the only things that are different from TS2 to TS3, i suppose, it's the number of hidden variables, but EAxis FAILS on the game's logic (IMHO)

At the end i like TS2 because it's "faster", in the meaning that the sims react faster (also because the animations are faster), when things happen Sims react faster, and situations and reactions are more fun than TS3... if you get what i mean.

I think that there are alot of brains outhere, and the community can build some hacks to made TS2's sims more brilliant than TS3 once Grin

... without forgetting the sims2's simpahty respect to TS3 barbie 'n cicciobello style
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2010 June 06, 21:09:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tried TS3 for a bit, and I don't actually find it to be more fun or interesting than TS2.  Sure, realism and neighborhood-unification stuff in TS2 takes a lot of work, but I am used to micromanaging that by now, and it's not all the difficult.  I've gotten used to imposing my will on TS2 to get it to do what I want, and I've got all the tools (i.e. hacks) to do it, whereas TS3 still isn't what I want out of the box (though in a slightly different way) and there seem to be significantly fewer ways to modify it, particularly since there can only be one core mod and story-progression mod, rather than a lot of interchangeable parts as in TS2.  Maybe at some point there will be enough content and enough mods that do what I want and aren't being updated daily for me to want to switch, but that hasn't happened yet.

Also, my TS3 is so far behind on patches at this point that I don't even know how I'm ever going to get it up to date.

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

Jack Rudd
Grammar Police

Grammar Militia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2010 June 07, 00:07:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm waiting for TS4.

Twice West of England chess champion
FIDE rating 2328
Official MATY Predictable Puellile Poser
In Memoriam: WFM Jessie Gilbert, 1987-2006