More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 16:46:37

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  SwiftShader ?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: SwiftShader ?  (Read 17390 times)
morrbido
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
SwiftShader ?
« on: 2009 June 02, 09:58:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi guys. I found this on a torrent site:

Is this even possible, to have a 'crack' and all your performance problems are gone??  Undecided
This is what the readme says:

''The Sims 3 Unsupported Graphics Card Workaround
---
in this economy, who the hell can afford to just go out and upgrade hundreds of dollars worth of hardware -
people who say "Oh just go buy a better PC or video card" need to try working to
make their own living, since having access to their rich parents' money makes them
think they know it all. What the hell are they doing downloading torrents! if it
were that easy to just up and buy all that hardware, you could have bought the
game just as easy.... shut up, assholes.....
---
DLL files Brought to you by Kajinkodda
---
The watermark that Swiftshader places is removed, so you can play games
without any problems.
---
To use this, just place the two dll files and the Swiftshader.ini file into
the same directory as the game.
C:\program files\electronic arts\the sims 3\game\bin

Then just run the game and you're off. ''

And this is what the SwitShader.ini says:

''[Caches]
VertexRoutineCacheSize=1024
PixelRoutineCacheSize=1024
SetupRoutineCacheSize=1024
VertexCacheSize=64

[Quality]
TextureSampleQuality=1
MipmapQuality=0
PerspectiveQuality=2
TranscendentalPrecision=2

[Processor]
ThreadCount=0
EnableSSE2=1
EnableSSE3=1
EnableSSSE3=1

[Testing]
DisableServer=0
KeepSystemCursor=1
ForceWindowed=0
DisableTexturing=0
ComplementaryDepthBuffer=0
QuadLayoutDepthBuffer=0
PostBlendSRGB=0''
CaptaiNemo
Asinine Airhead

INTP

View Profile
Re: SwiftShader ?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 02, 15:56:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This does not fix your performance problems.. this makes the game playable executable (at all!) on a non-supported graphics card (e.g. one that does not support dx8), by running all the shaders on the CPU.

If you actually DO have a dx8 or 9 gfx card this will completely destroy your performance. E.g. in my case go from 100 fps max quality to 2 fps lowest quality.

EDIT: Oh, and this is not a crack (or patch). It just replaces the runtime libraries used for DirectX with custom ones.
morrbido
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 02, 19:23:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah i tried it out. ruined my laptop's performace during the game, completely.
but it would be awesome if there was something like a crack or something that improves performance without ruining the graphics :/
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 02, 19:26:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Such a thing is impossible. You can't magically create performance out of obsolete hardware. You have to either sacrifice quality or performance, and often both. Sell your ass! Get a real computer! A decent graphics card is only about $100. That's maybe a month's worth of food. It takes longer than a month to starve to death. You can make it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 03, 00:52:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Usable, game spec compliant cards, like the geforce 8400, cost maybe $35.
$100 will get you a very good one these days.
Do eet!
morrbido
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 03, 20:32:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hehe it will be the first thing after i get a decent job  Grin
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 03, 21:48:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This was already listed in the technical issues and installing thread. My friend tried this. The game was originally telling her that it wouldn't run on her computer at all due to her card not supporting shaders 2.0. These files actually bypassed that and the game started up. Doesn't mean that it was playable though. Just running doesn't mean playable.

I suggest you visit NewEgg. You may catch something on sale or just a good deal.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 04, 15:55:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A decent graphics card is only about $100. That's maybe a month's worth of food. It takes longer than a month to starve to death. You can make it.

I eat more than that.  A new graphics care represents no more than 2 weeks worth of food (at most).  I can haz one.

Tribulatio proxima est
superstition
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 June 15, 16:47:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Such a thing is impossible. You can't magically create performance out of obsolete hardware.
I just happened upon this torrent today.

The only scenario I can think of that would make something like this work is when a user has:

1. An oddball card like the Matrox Parhelia that supports vertex shader 2.0 but only pixel shader 1.x
2. A modern processor/RAM. In order to have that, one must have an oddball motherboard like the AsRock Dual 775 that supports Wolfdale 45nm processors at 3+ Ghz or 4 or so overclocked.
3. Software similar to this that does more:
    a) Bypasses pixel shader on card, and uses processor (taking full advantage of SSE 4.x, dual core parallelism, and so forth)
    b) while utilizing the card's ability to do vertex shading
    c) all while maintaining processing cohesion (good luck trying to balance that)

I am not a hardware or software engineer, so this is just speculative. I assume that such software would have to be designed specifically for a card like the Parhelia. I don't know if such a scheme would yield a playable frame rate.
superstition
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 June 15, 19:01:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I just found a tutorial for SwiftShader that says it can take advantage of dual and quad core chips. You have to change the thread count from 0 to 2 or 4.

But, I don't think it's possible to have it work in conjunction with a dedicated card like the Parhelia that supports vertex shader 2. It's purely a software CPU renderer.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: