More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 20:48:33

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Ambitions and SURPRISE! - CTDs
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Ambitions and SURPRISE! - CTDs  (Read 33418 times)
Death-Jester
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Ambitions and SURPRISE! - CTDs
« Reply #25 on: 2010 June 06, 13:42:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got a brand new install of S3, with HELS and Ambitions. The only content I have installed is official EA store stuff, via a modified launcher (using the instructions on this site).
I have had a few crashes, not too many (maybe half a dozen in the 15 or so hours play time). However, I recently had my Sim visit Egypt. I have a save from before I travelled, and one from after. So far, my game has crashed 3 times since visiting Egypt, all within about 5 minutes of loading up the new new area. I have done the same thing each time: Travelled to Egypt, gone to the market, and bought loads of stuff (books, cameras, food etc.) It's just a straight CTD - no errors - and it happens suddenly (no slowdown in game, and the hard drive isn't working any harder). It's like I just Alt-F4'd out. My DEP settings are the default to Windows (running Win 7 x64 by the way).

I'll try using CFF Explorer and changing the settings, see if that helps.

Edit: Since I used CFF Explorer, I have had no CTDs at all.
« Last Edit: 2010 June 06, 18:42:04 by Death-Jester » Logged
nekochanpurr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2010 June 07, 06:31:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reinstalling was no help whatsoever. Ugh.
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 2010 June 07, 08:42:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also had frequent CTDs on my w7-machine (with all the expansions and the stuff pack installed).  FPS-limiter was the only thing that helped, in my case. Now the game seems stable.
Klinn
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2010 June 07, 12:59:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The DEP trick did nothing for me. Tweaking the Ambition executable to use 4GB on my Vista x64 system seems to have cured the crashes, but the freezes remain. For example, with my sim just sitting in the library reading a skill book, approx every 5 seconds the game freezes for 3 or 4 seconds.
This is an old issue. There's probably a sim somewhere causing this. Resetsim would help, but there's no way to know which one it is. Once AM is updated, try resetworld. It worked for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but if I recall those previous threads, the symptoms were slightly different. Sims and cars etc were frozen, but the ambient graphical effects such the SpeedTree movement still continued. My game was completely frozen. I tried your advice anyway, using Twallan's SuperComputer to reset all. No difference, same freezes and still getting crashes.

However, I finally noticed that the Ambitions installer messed up. Before installing the EP, it checks and updates the base game. But it either doesn't check if WA needs updating or the check failed because WA was still back at its original version number. Naturally, that didn't work well with the other up-to-date bits. I then reinstalled from scratch, patching manually at each step, and the crashes are gone. No DEP fiddling or 4GB tweak needed.

No crashes, but I was still getting frequent freezes. Updated the nVidia video drivers and those are gone too.
nekochanpurr
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010 June 08, 20:32:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The DEP thing fixed it after I reinstalled. I don't know why it wouldn't take the first time but... Hey, as long as it works!
Terr
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010 June 11, 18:09:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm still experiencing crashes after the latest patch and then Ambitions on XP (32-bit), even after trying every suggestion. It's incredibly frustrating that it seems completely random and neither the event log nor the game's crash logs tell anything useful.

Running without mods or a completely new profile directory doesn't help either. And as no other games I play ever crash, I can't blame it on misconfiguration or hardware error.

Does anyone else have a suggestion, other than waiting for a patch that hopefully solves this?
« Last Edit: 2010 June 11, 20:30:33 by Terr » Logged
catsahoy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010 June 13, 01:28:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Terr, did you rename the Sims 3 folder in my documents?  Profile does not specify anything specific to me.  But any old pre Ambitions crap in that directory needs to be destroyed (or prevented from being read) so ambitions can regenerate it's own data.  Simply bringing in old saves can be buggy as hell, so imagine the CTD fun in store if an old my documents folder was used.

If that's not the problem and you've done both CFF explorer and DEP, a full reinstall is all I can recommend.  Again put mods, sims my documents folders and other crap you want into another directory and reinstall the whole thing fresh.
« Last Edit: 2010 June 13, 01:49:11 by catsahoy » Logged
Terr
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010 June 13, 10:18:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've reinstalled two times now. At the last reinstall I renamed the profile folder and started a new save game. I found out that the base game works fine, and that it starts crashing after installing World Adventures.

I'm going to do one last reinstall skipping WA, start fresh over again and let Amibitions generate the profile directory, like you suggest. For extra thoroughness, I'm going to seek out left over registry entries as well.

*edit*
No dice. Base game works fine, Ambitions makes the game crash around the 15 minute mark (like WA)
« Last Edit: 2010 June 13, 19:53:51 by Terr » Logged
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2010 June 13, 14:07:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would assume everyone's already done this, but getting rid of bad CC fixed my crashing problem. It was specifically the creepy TSR doll that attaches itself to Sims3packs.
morgy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010 June 13, 15:46:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another thing to look out for is the need for a fresh reinstall.  My computer over the weekend had completely died (vid card blew up on me), so I took over my husband's computer (runs so much better than mine anyway with a better vid card and proc.), and installed the base game and all EPs.  The game let me create a family, build a lot, edit some cloths.  But when it came to running the game (sims interacting, saving), it would crash over and over again.  I tried to the DEP fix, that didn't work and then I completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, it was the reinstall that ultimately fixed my problems Smiley 
Erandel
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2010 June 14, 20:08:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I installed everything from fresh, and it doesn't seem to have crashed - that is, Sims 3, Adventures, Ambitions, the Kitchen sink and even those small teaspoons you get at the bottom. Could be that its patched to the latest to the latest version of ambitions however  Roll Eyes
Drowelvenmaiden
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010 June 20, 18:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi, IgnorantBliss lead to this thread. I did my TS3+WA+AMB works (with Vista 64-bits) instaling them at a custom install path, like at Skadi's thread:  http://sublimesims.net/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=ae9d09f0a4922de84e94c966a72074f4&topic=1747.0, them followed Rainbow Brite's tutorial at MTS: http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=3811336 (see her journal).

Hope this helps.  Roll Eyes
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010 June 30, 19:00:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So the game crashes over and over, and Event Viewer gives me this nice message that:

Currentgame.sims3\traveldb.package in the hash map cannot be updated properly because a "device attached to the system is not functioning". 

Usually if I look into the current game folder (obviously when the game is not running), it is always empty.  Now it is full of crap.  Is anyone familiar with this message/error and know how to remedy?
invisiblgirl
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010 July 05, 22:22:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So the game crashes over and over, and Event Viewer gives me this nice message that:

Currentgame.sims3\traveldb.package in the hash map cannot be updated properly because a "device attached to the system is not functioning".  

I've got the same error since patching to 1.12, latest Awesome mod installed.  I played the game yesterday for several hours without any crashes.  Today, I'm getting a crash at the exact same spot - around 9 o'clock at night, one Sim is chatting on the computer, the other is searching the galaxy with the telescope.  Does anyone know what the traveldb.package does?

Modifying to add:  it's not the telescope.  I deleted everything in my CurrentGame.sims3 folder and had the other Sim quit the computer.  It broke, and while the repairman was working on it, the game crashed again.
« Last Edit: 2010 July 05, 23:36:33 by invisiblgirl » Logged
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2010 July 07, 05:51:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was having CTD's and error 12's and 13's recently. I tried a clean game with no relief. I finally tried the CFF explorer fix and haven't had a crash since. I'm running windoze 7 pro 64 bit.
http://www.jaloonz.com/2008/04/enabling-large-address-aware-for-games.html

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
tizerist
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010 July 12, 01:10:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Darn, could someone tell me what is making me crash even after a re-install?
I cleared out all documents/program files for TS3 that I could find, and started fresh with unpatched basegame.
Runs okay (5 minute test) but as my basegame gets more patched it leads to these under-a-minute CTD's. Something crucial is missing if the game cant even survive a minute in a new town.
patch 1.12.70.006002 instantly set it off again.
Text says DasmX86Dll.dll not found, but I do have this in my system 32 folder.

Update: It only happens when I unpause. I can zip around just fine while paused.

Here's the crash text.

* CRASH.txt (16.96 KB - downloaded 456 times.)
« Last Edit: 2010 July 13, 00:06:04 by tizerist » Logged
invisiblgirl
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2010 July 12, 22:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was having CTD's and error 12's and 13's recently. I tried a clean game with no relief. I finally tried the CFF explorer fix and haven't had a crash since. I'm running windoze 7 pro 64 bit.
http://www.jaloonz.com/2008/04/enabling-large-address-aware-for-games.html

I've got 32 bit Vista with 3 GB RAM, and I *think* this fix is primarily for 64-bit?  However, there's an old MS hotfix for virtual graphics mapping via that link.  There's also an update for my graphics card that I should install first.  Plus, it looks like there's a new update version & Awesomemod.  I guess we'll see if something helps?  It's one of those unrepeatable errors (I hate those - I report software bugs at work, and anything I can't repeat makes me crazy - I *know* it's borked, but I can't prove it), so the only way to know it's fixed is if it doesn't happen.
purplehaze
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010 July 13, 20:13:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are further instructions for folks running Vista x86 (32 bit). You could certainly attempt the fix and see if it offers any relief. Make sure to keep a backup of you original .exe. Also, have you tried running the game clean? No mods or CC.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes."
Drowelvenmaiden
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2010 July 15, 20:34:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi, dears! I recently patched my game and merged my stuffs, but not Awesome, my hacks (Rainbow Brite, Anach and Chaavik hacks)  and the default things. When I'm at the shopping mode my game is crashing - it freezes and nothing makes it works again. I pressed the windows key, the Esc key, prayed for mercy and even did some killing threats, but nada. Anybody has this problem? Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but my problems began after the patch, oh gosh, I hate patches! Thanks in advance.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2010 July 15, 20:50:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi, dears! I recently patched my game and merged my stuffs, but not Awesome, my hacks (Rainbow Brite, Anach and Chaavik hacks)  and the default things. When I'm at the shopping mode my game is crashing - it freezes and nothing makes it works again. I pressed the windows key, the Esc key, prayed for mercy and even did some killing threats, but nada. Anybody has this problem? Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but my problems began after the patch, oh gosh, I hate patches! Thanks in advance.

If it's happening in buy mode it's most likely a bad custom content item that no longer works with Ambitions.

If you truly have zero custom content and only Awesomemod and those few hacks then go back to those sources, check on their compatibility with Ambitions and re-download the newest versions.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
brownlustgirl
Knuckleheaded Knob

Giving EA the finger!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010 July 15, 21:31:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had major problems with CTDs since update 1/14, even though I did the DEP and CFF explorer tips to stop it. I have been using FordGT90Concept Large Address Aware (LAA) and have been able to at least play for more than 2 hours. Maybe it can help?

"So you have to be hungry to eat, right? Hmph, imagine that concept."  Kirstie Alley
Drowelvenmaiden
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010 July 15, 21:51:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the quick answer, Motoki. I'm an obssessed being who names her downloads, so, I can track them. I'll try to redownload or delete them. Thanks again.
Auddie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010 July 19, 04:21:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've been having shitty CTD happenings, just like everyone else here. I patched to 1.14 with base game, updated awesomemod, loaded up the game. Everything worked fine, it loaded and I went into my neighborhood. I grabbed the family I had been yearning to shove into a house and went to purchase/place them in one. The game shows that slow loading circle quite a while, then crashes to the desktop. No error warnings or anything, of course.

I'm using a pretty shitty laptop, but it's played the Sims 3 fine for over a year now (on full in-game graphics ,too). It's a Windows Vista, with 3 GB of RAM.

I tried the DEP trick---didn't work. Tried deleting my excess cache files---didn't work. I did download the LAA and set it to use more RAM, as well as the extra steps Vista users needed to take. I loaded the game up again and it crashed to the desktop at the same point as before. So of course, I tried again, but first ran the LAA and saw that the section was set back to false (per default), and not true as I thought I put it. So now I'm loading the game up again in hopes that it'll actually work, but I'm doubting it.

Anybody know of anything else I can do? I couldn't even tell you if it happens in buy mode cause I can't make it into a house, though I'm pretty sure it's not bad CC. The game actually didn't work before when I patched it until I realized I still had an old Indie Stone mod package.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2010 July 19, 05:05:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

though I'm pretty sure it's not bad CC. The game actually didn't work before when I patched it until I realized I still had an old Indie Stone mod package.
Seriously? You're pretty sure it's not bad cc, but you'er the type who left old, outdated Indie Stone in? Do yourself a favor. Take out all cc. See if it runs. Then add back in non-mod cc, see if it runs. Then verify that the mods you have are compatible with the current patch, then see if it runs.

Notice the bolded part? It's kind of important.
« Last Edit: 2010 July 19, 23:05:11 by Zazazu » Logged

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Auddie
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010 July 19, 05:33:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Indie Stone slipped my mind, I honestly didn't even think I still had it in there since it really didn't serve me much purpose with awesomemod. It was the only bad, and conflicting CC.
The only other real game changing mods I had were slider hacks, and yes, I made sure they were compatible/updated.

Anyway, it seems to be relatively stable now with the LAA, so I'm hoping this will offer a fix for now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: