More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 01:14:06

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Reading the contents of a package file
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Reading the contents of a package file  (Read 3812 times)
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Reading the contents of a package file
« on: 2010 May 20, 18:10:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a bit confused. I thought TSR merlin could do this, but it doesnt. As well as TSR Workshop (it does, but it requires going through a bunch of menus just ot see one item.)

I have my downloads compressed into individual packages. I also have the original files backed up as they are when you download them. I want to get rid of things I no longer want but some of the names are not very descriptive, and I don't know what package contains what.

Is there a program out there that shows what is inside a package without having to do a bunch of stuff, like importing it into TSRW or finding an IMG file in S3PE? I found one, Sims 3 Package Explorer, but it doesn't...show me anything, on pretty much any package. Plus I still have to open them one by one...

Am I looking for something that doesnt exist?

I basically am hoping for a program that loads all my CC and lets me see thumbnails of it.

« Last Edit: 2010 May 20, 18:54:43 by Claeric » Logged
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
Re: Reading the contents of a package file
« Reply #1 on: 2010 May 20, 19:14:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inside the .package files, all the contents are cataloged only with the TGI64 values. Names, if available, are buried in a chunk, usually encoded as 16-byte characters. Not so user friendly, but a good, lean-and-mean format for loading into a game quickly.

There are/were some rudimentary catalog dump and search tools around (command-line based), but hardly what I think you are asking for. I generally opened them and looked at the image files to guess what they were.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010 May 20, 19:16:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

so basically "no"

Sad
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010 May 21, 01:35:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have only one package file per item, or are they multiple items in one package?  I use Echo's Postal Viewer when I need to sort through improperly labeled files, but it will only be useful to you if you don't use merged packages.  It will let you see the png file so you can ID it by thumbnail; if the png isn't included, you can still view the dds files.  The item name might be in the string tables, or check the xml file if one is included.

Sure, you have to load one package file at a time to use it, but it shouldn't take too long unless you have several dozen files to sort through.

Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2010 May 21, 02:38:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am looking to identify individual packages so I can remove those I dont want/use before re-merging.
wes_h
Knuckleheaded Knob

Lady on Rancho Como

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 May 22, 01:19:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, what you want is sort of like looking through a dictionary by reading the definitions and trying to guess what the word is.
I have a tool that would look through all .package files in a single directory and print out which ones contain any particular TGI64, including a simple pattern matching capability. But that won't help you much for what you are seeking to do.
The Postal idea is probably the best alternative idea.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: