More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 28, 09:20:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  The definitive EA Store Set & Guide?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The definitive EA Store Set & Guide?  (Read 66764 times)
DELETEACCOUNT
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
The definitive EA Store Set & Guide?
« on: 2010 April 10, 22:46:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

DELETEACCOUNT
« Last Edit: 2012 June 05, 20:13:16 by DELETEACCOUNT » Logged
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
Re: The definitive EA Store Set & Guide?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 April 10, 23:10:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

is there any particular reason you can't just download any and all files of whatever type you want? And install them...uh...properly?

I think putting them into a mini-compendium would be extremely useful, but there's no need at all for something like this.
Batman
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 April 10, 23:59:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I agree. Completely.

I quit after I installed WA becuase my game was useless after all my store content and CC had disappeared leaving my main house hideous and useless.

I've searched everything from "install cc" to "cc" to "install custom content" to "install store content" and a majority of the posts were from early to mid 2009 (before the problem) and the rest of them were filled responses like "NOOB, use SEARCH."

Well because of the mass confusion, search has rendered useless for me this time, unfortunately.

The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 April 11, 00:19:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

is there any particular reason you can't just download any and all files of whatever type you want? And install them...uh...properly?

I think putting them into a mini-compendium would be extremely useful, but there's no need at all for something like this.

That is not what she is asking for.  The request is for a GUIDE BOOK; a manual of sorts.  She wants "Downloads For Dummies".   

Sounds like a good idea, but a bit time consuming.   What we need is an OCD super hero! 
chaucolai
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 April 12, 10:22:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I second the request! I've been trying to figure out how but whenever I do get another thread with someone else asking, mainly there's the "Search for it, noob".
But I have. All I get is a thing to search for it.
I guess I'll always be a lesser mortal :/ but in the meantime, I'd really love to learn how to install that stuff! I've also got a few Sim Store items that I can upload (if and when I find them!) My games so laggy atm that I'm lucky to play a decent game then have to reboot every time after I play a game - and my computer is brand spanking new from the beginning of this year!

I want to get the Sim Store content but not have it reporting to EA and basically being able to install it.

(Sorry if this post makes no sense, I'm rather sleep-deprived atm)
missaaliyah
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 April 12, 17:11:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I third the request, but It will be a good idea, but it would be a considerably time-consuming job, it has to be done by someone who hasn't un-installed their game since they first bought it.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2010 April 12, 17:45:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am probably biased.

My thinking is "Someone recently uploaded every store object organized by month in package form, one or two packages for each month."

And that we should all download those and never desire anything less, because it's the perfect quality and most convenient way to get everything :p
chaucolai
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 April 12, 22:38:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I personally don't get why this is so hard - maybe I'm thinking something different from the original posters :/

All I'm thinking of is at the beginning of the TS3 Store Download thread there be a small passage explaining how to download (from what I've garnered) the three download types (I know .package, but have no idea about the rest! .Sims3Pack I thought it reported back to EA & I have no idea what the other one is, let alone how to install it) and where to put it or whatever. A quick thing for dummies.

"Put the .package files in PF/EA/Sims/Mods/Packages after installing framework. .Sims3pack install ___________. .theotherone __________)

Okay, it does seem that's what the original person asked for (I only just realized the threads are below me - heh, can you see why I want a "For Dummies" guide?) but I honestly don't get what's so hard about this.. can someone explain?
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 April 13, 22:53:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're not connected to the Internet when you install the sims3packs then nothing can be sent to EA. I always disconnect before I install those. The launcher also knows where to put those files without you having to specify it. But that's not the issue, anyway. I thought that the launcher just broke the items if you didn't download the sims3pack from EA (it also broke some cc, but I doubt that was intentional). The decrapify process that Pes has figured out and described is what makes the crapified EA files DE-crapified so they are no longer broke. So if you run the sims3packs through decrapify I thought you can install those through the launcher.

Before this all happened, some people who had a lot of package files were complaining that their games were very laggy. The merging the package files into dcb format was started by Anach because he was looking for a way to improve performance. Someone later discovered that you could take muiltiple packages and create one package file out of it - you could merge packages and skip the dcb process altogether. ETA: Some continue converting them to DCB files because they feel like system performance is much better.

So unless I am not understanding the OP's request at all, I think all these topics and types of files address somewhat different issues. There wouldn't be just one person to download files from, either, since a lot of people just contribute what they can, when they can. I personally use the merged package files that people are kind enough to post, or merge my own package files with s3pe in the case of downloaded cc, and don't try to do the dcb file process any longer. I have also not tried to use decrapify myself just because there's a limit to how many contortions I am willing to go through for this game, and I just haven't seen the need to go there. If it doesn't show up in my game...eh. Most of it seems to though, as far as I've noticed. I guess if I don't notice if it's not there, then I didn't need it in the first place.  Tongue
« Last Edit: 2010 April 13, 23:23:50 by Tangie » Logged
Lum
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 April 13, 23:44:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I nth the request. I would be content with clear, spelled-out instructions on step 1, step 2, ect. On the rare occasions I try download new things, its like I have to learn the process all over again because suddenly the info is outdated or I got the wrong thread.

After the guide is done, maybe Pes could lock the thread, make it a sticky and send all the noobs there. It would eliminate a LOT of confusion.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2010 April 14, 01:19:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I nth the request. I would be content with clear, spelled-out instructions on step 1, step 2, ect. On the rare occasions I try download new things, its like I have to learn the process all over again because suddenly the info is outdated or I got the wrong thread.

After the guide is done, maybe Pes could lock the thread, make it a sticky and send all the noobs there. It would eliminate a LOT of confusion.

If someone puts it all into one post (not the first post of this thread, please), I will split it off into a single-post sticky topic in Pudding Factory.  Just send me a PM when it is perfected.

Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 April 15, 06:19:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I definately need a "for dummies" guide, at least for the Sims3.pac files.  Absolutely none of my EA store stuff will install since that stupid patch, including Riverview and quite a lot of CC is also refusing to install.  Some of the CC installs once I decrapify it, some still doesn't.  And decrapify doesn't seem to help at all with the store stuff.  My husband and I spent hours searching and trying to figure out how to make it work, and in the end I was so tired and frustrated I decided I could wait and just play the game as it is for now.  But I really do miss Riverview especally and some of the store stuff that I used to use all the time.  Saying "just install it properly" doesn't really help when I can't seem to figure out what "properly" is.

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
ReRybka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 April 15, 06:49:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Saying "just install it properly" doesn't really help when I can't seem to figure out what "properly" is.

Properly: if decrapify.exe doesn't help, use jfade's Compressorizer.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 April 15, 07:55:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Saying "just install it properly" doesn't really help when I can't seem to figure out what "properly" is.

Properly: if decrapify.exe doesn't help, use jfade's Compressorizer.
We actually tried that on Riverview and all the store stuff, but it still woulnd't install.  It would do the whole "success done!" thing, but it would not actally be installed.

ReRybka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 April 15, 15:03:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We actually tried that on Riverview and all the store stuff, but it still woulnd't install.  It would do the whole "success done!" thing, but it would not actally be installed.

Just to be sure, did you:
1) tick the 'decrapify' box in the compressorizer?
2) delete the contents of the DCCache folder before attempting to install the decrapified files?
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 April 15, 17:19:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just to be sure, did you:
1) tick the 'decrapify' box in the compressorizer?
2) delete the contents of the DCCache folder before attempting to install the decrapified files?

See, now these are exactly the type of things that need to be in a "for dummies" guide!  I knew we must have been missing someting.  Thanks, btw.

Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 April 15, 22:11:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't you also have to compress your saved games if you compress content you've already used in-game? I have not bothered with either decrapify or compression, although I vaguely remember that Pecado said (last Feb.?) that compression was sort of obsolete. I guess someone more awesome than I will have to jump in here to answer that. JFade also has some info posted on his website about it, or check the thread where you download the program here at Maty, as you will probably find some info about it there that might help (assuming you haven't read that whole thread already, of course).
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 April 16, 00:27:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you decrapify your store content, you also have to decrapify your saved games if those saved games were using said content, as well as any new lots or sims you receive that may be using undecrapified stuff.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 April 16, 22:18:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I may or may not have decrapified store content, but it's likely that I do. I also have never decrapified my saved games. If this causes an issue, will I know it if I see it? So far I have not noticed any problems at all.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 April 17, 00:38:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've decrapified everything (files, saves, sims, lots, etc) and the issue I'm still having is the store stuff stiill refusing to install.  It claims to install but even in the laucher it doens't show as installed (it just gives the "success" message, but it doesn't show up in "installed conetent or have that icon that meas it's already installed on the tab where you instal stuff).

I know I've accedentally decrapified the same files more than once several times.  Btwn my husband and me, we may even have recompressorized the same files more than once.  I'm thinking this might be part of the problem, as in ts2 anyway it was a bad thing to recompressorize files more than once.  So I'm thinking what I'll try next is downloaing fresh untampered with files and starting from scratch.

The recompressorizor we're using that we downloaded from this site appears to work in a drag and drop method.  I understand there is a DOS way to use it as well, but I'll leave that to my husband as I have never really used DOS myself (just for a bit in grade 8 and 9 and after that it was widows).  I don't know which method is "better," but Pes said in the thread where we downloaded it that the drag and drop method was there for the TARDS which I guess includes me. Tongue

This time I want to do it right so it actaully works.  Is it recomened to decrapifiy all sims3.pac files before even attempting to install them?  Or should I try installing first to see if it needs to be decrapified?  I gather from this thead that it is a good idea to disconnect from the internet before attempting to install sims3.pac files.  So then once I disconnect from the internet and attempt to install my files, I need to recompressorize any decrapified files that still won't install.  Do I use a new unmodified version of the sims3.pac and recompressorize that, or do I recompressorize the file that has already been decrapified?  Once a file has been recompressorized, if it still won't install, what is the recomended procedure at that point?

Yecats
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 April 17, 12:31:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In regards to a "guide" of sorts, I've been cataloguing all the store objects (not clothing) content into 1 word file.  Once I've finished, I can PDF it and upload it to 4shared, and I'll update it every month with the new items. 

ENTP = Mad Scientist.  Muwaahaahaa.
Jennel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 April 18, 10:35:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will all the store objects install in the game with your world ? Huh
Trystiane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 April 23, 18:49:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your game is not showing decrapified objects, you probably haven't decrapified them, only recompressorized them.  Try fjade's tool:  http://forum.jfade.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=473.

Here is a draft of a cc installing guide I wrote.  I haven't included info on Store stuff, but I can do that separately.  I'm open to edits, and then if it looks useful maybe we can sticky it or something...

One way to manage custom content (cc):

Managing cc is harder than it used to be.  There are different ways to do it.  This is just one way and you may not like it.  As always, back up everything and if things go wrong I'm sorry, but I'm doing my best to be helpful.  I claim no special expertise.  This tutorial is only for non-EA custom objects, patterns, walls, floors and CAS stuff (not for houses, sims, or stuff from The Store).

1.  I try to be careful what I download (dl) because it is harder to delete stuff than it used to be.

2.  I dl into folders categorized by creator and either "object" or "CAS Stuff."  Before I extract and install the files I copy the folders as they are into another folder labeled:  "installed items."  How you want to categorize your dl folders is up to you and depends on how much time and OCD you have.  The more clear and specific your folder titles are, the easier it will be to find items if you need to. 

3.  Now that I know I have the original files safely stored away, I begin the process of organizing and installing.  Now this is where you have to make choices.  Do you want to use sims3pack files and the launcher?  Do you want to use package files and merge them?  Do you want to use a mixture?  Again, your choice depends mainly on how much time you have and how important it is to you to be able to manage your files once they are installed in your game.  I prefer maximum control over what I put in and when I want to take it out. 

4.  Thus, I convert everything to package files and then merge them.  That way I avoid the launcher and maintain the ability to go back and delete individual items.   Here are the steps I follow:
   a)  Unzip or unrar all files.  Keep files in separate folders according to what you want to merge together.  I separate hairs from other CAS stuff, and organize my objects alphabetically by creator ie:  "objects A"  "objects B" and so on.].  I put rooves, terrains, and walls & floors in their own folder.  Creators who are very prolific get their own folder.
   b)  Download Delphy's multi-extractor at MTS:  http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=364038.  Be sure to check the box that says "Rename files on Save."  Run it on each subfolder.  It is okay to extract within a folder of mixed package and sims3pack files (the package files will just be ignored).  Then go in and delete the sims3pack files.
   c)  If you have dl'ed sets or otherwise want to prune your files before merging them, now is the time.  I use Merlin to review the package files.  Not all will have icons, so it isn't perfect, but it is all we have right now.  Merlin used to be on TSR, but it isn't now.  I will try to update with a new link.
   d)  Put everything you want to merge together into a folder.  I make sure no folder has more than 199 items, and I make sure to separate CAS items from Objects and patterns.  Later you can add as many items as you want to a merged package file, but I find s3pe locks up if I try to merge too much all at once.
   e)  Merge all the packages in your folder together using s3pe.  You can find it on MTS at:  http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=362412.  I got the instructions for merging files from Anach who very generously shared them on the MATY website (http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17746.0.html).  You will have to choice if you want to import the packages "as dcb" files or "as package" files.  Many people say the DCB option will let your game run smoother and faster, but it will also take a long time for the file to save.  You have to be very patient.  I import as packages because I have little patience.
   f)  Save your merged files to your package folder which you set up using MATY's framework found at:  http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,17454.0.html.  Name each file the same thing you named the folder the individual packages are in.  That way if you add or delete items from that folder, you can make a new merged package folder and delete the old one.
   g)  Do Not Delete the folder with the individual package files in it.  Place it in a folder called "Installed Individual Package Files."  That way if you want to add files or delete files you can.  Simply make your changes and create a new merged package file.

Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks.
--Marx
Jennel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 May 05, 17:15:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Will all the store objects install in the game after that ?  Embarrassed
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 May 07, 22:13:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmmm. Apparently you haven't understood anything anyone has said so far, or read any of the other threads on this topic, so trying to answer you is probably fruitless. But the way I understand it, the problem is that you cannot use the "luncher" to install sims3pack content for the store because they have crapified it so it won't work unless you have PAID FOR IT and downloaded it from the EA website.

So if you want it anyway, (edited to clarify that) you can just decrapify the sims3pack files and then you can install those. Follow the directions for decrapifying store content. Here's a post from Freezerburn explaining directions here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,18310.0.html  Or you can follow Trystiane's patient directions in post #22, at least from step 4 onward, if you wish to install package files instead. I know her tute is for general CC but I believe the same principles apply to any sims3pack. If you convert to package files, then decide if you want to convert to dcb files. Your choice(s). I believe the fireplaces and corner counters were reportedly fixed in the most recent version of the decrapify tool, although as I said previously I have not personally used it and I think some people have said they still don't work for them but could be wrong about that.

ETA: Cleaned up and rearranged additional confusing language. Or just see witch's post instead!
« Last Edit: 2010 May 07, 23:01:03 by Tangie » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: