More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 03:11:25

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Dimming in gameplay
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Dimming in gameplay  (Read 8695 times)
itz_kukuchka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Dimming in gameplay
« on: 2010 April 17, 13:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I have been noticing, ever since I got WA my game will dim in the middle of me playing.  I also added on all the store stuff and HELS and it still does it but not as much.  The weird thing about it is that it will dim, be like that for about 30 seconds or so, then go back to the way it was.  Any advice on what's going on?
Erry
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Dimming in gameplay
« Reply #1 on: 2010 April 17, 14:16:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too much power being used? I'm guessing.

"I go to his page and I see 'Hot Lesbians' as a tab... keep your sex life to yourself, bitch."
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 April 17, 14:51:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does it always happen at a particular Sim time?  I'm just wondering if it coincide with the 5am slow down. 
itz_kukuchka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 April 17, 18:40:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No it doesn't happen at any particular time.  When the game goes dim it looks like the whole game is going to crash.  But it doesn't, it just goes back to normal and I can continue playing.  It's odd. Undecided
FireDrake
Blathering Buffoon

It seems that they all died...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 April 17, 22:01:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you using a laptop? I know when I'm on my laptop the screen dims to adjust to the power saving settings I have on it, much like Erry said.

"Birds, flowers, sun...Hawaii does not exist. It's a myth...like tough liberals, or the Canadian army."
You should click on this.
itz_kukuchka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 April 18, 12:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope. PC.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 April 18, 12:18:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Loose cable?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
itz_kukuchka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 April 18, 13:29:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No.  It's the game itself.  It freezes when it dims, like the music and the cursor and everything just freezes.  It's odd.
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 April 18, 15:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like a graphic card power issue.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 April 18, 15:25:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have an LCD monitor with integrated speakers that you are using?

When the dimming happens and the action and sound freezes, does it resume from where it froze (as if everything stopped) or do the Sims jump to a new location (as if you missed what was happening)?
« Last Edit: 2010 April 18, 15:36:04 by lordrichter » Logged

Danger: Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard, 4th Level
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 April 18, 16:28:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like a graphic card power issue.
That's what I was thinking. Rig stats?

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
itz_kukuchka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 April 19, 12:13:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The dimming looks like when you enter in cheats for one.  And I think it MIGHT be my video card.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce 5200 I believe.
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 April 19, 15:57:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The dimming looks like when you enter in cheats for one.  And I think it MIGHT be my video card.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce 5200 I believe.

Could be your problem.  I can't remember for sure, but I don't think that card is supported, if it is supported, it is at the lowest end of the scale, so that may well be the problem.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 April 19, 18:36:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, that card is below the minimum supported NVIDIA card.

jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 April 19, 20:10:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, to sum up:  an entire thread has been generated and wasted on something that could have been solved by reading the damn "ReadMe" file that came with the game.  Thank you, and good day.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
itz_kukuchka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 April 20, 12:31:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I apologize for wasting everyone's time.  Like I said, it only happened after I had installed WA, and doesn't do it as much since I installed HELS.  So I had no idea what was going on, because my game didn't crash just dimmed like it would when you enter a cheat, stay like that for less than 30 seconds, then I went right back to playing.  But thank you to all who did help out.  It was appreciated.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2010 April 20, 20:14:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For future reference, when you're basically trying to run a new PC game on a rock, chances are- and stay with me here, this might be difficult- your SHITTY ASS GRAPHICS CARD MIGHT BE THE FUCKING PROBLEM.

How dense can you possibly be? "Hm, I can barely run the fucking game, and I'm getting GRAPHICAL ERRORS! GOSH GOLLY GEE WILLIKERS WHATEVER COULD BE THE CAUSE?"

itz_kukuchka
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 April 20, 23:40:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Umm, thanks but I'm sorry I'm not as computer savvy as most of you people on here.  I understand that it is my graphics card, yes it's shitty, and I joined this damn site for computer savvy people to HELP me, not to put me down and make me sound like an idiot.  And I can run the damn game, it just dims once in a blue moon which did not make any sense.  THAT is why I posted this damn topic, because it only did it AFTER I had WA installed and stopped doing it when I installed HELS.  Mind you I play the damn game as much as everybody on here.  So if its my video card how come it doesn't do the dimming thing all the time?  I would think that it would be doing it at least every time that I play and it doesn't.  THAT IS WHY I POSTED.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2010 April 21, 01:43:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not our fault you look like an idiot. We aren't making you post "Hey guys, I'm having graphical issues with my graphics card that runs the game on all low settings at 10FPS, could it be my graphics card?"
lordrichter
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 April 21, 02:01:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Don't feel bad.  They do not know what your problem is any more than you do.  There simply is not enough information about your problem and your system to draw a definite conclusion.

While I do not know what your problem is, I don't think that "SHITTY ASS GRAPHICS CARD" really addresses the main problem.  This feels like a software problem to me.

If it was Sims 3 WA that was causing the problems and HELS fixed it, then you would be justified in leaving well enough alone and just enjoy the game. That said, if you have an FX5200, I would definitely upgrade it anyway.  The game looks and runs MUCH better if you have a decent graphics card.  It is a shame to waste the game on an FX5200.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 April 21, 06:56:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Claeric is new to MATY and kind of an ass (as in, even for MATY), so don't worry about him, itz_kukuchka.

I still say there might be some sort of power issue. Yeah, the graphics card isn't listed as supported. However, I ran TS2 and three expansions on a machine that didn't have a supported video card and I didn't have issues with graphics. You never posted full specs.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 April 21, 12:07:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Without an FPS limiter controlling things, the game is probably driving the graphics card harder than it needs to, which may be causing problems.

As has been mentioned, without knowing the full specs of the system, and the power supply, we are only able to offer a best guess as to the potential problem.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 April 21, 12:22:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

With a graphics card that crap, I don't think an FPS limiter would DO anything since the card is incapable of delivering the performance needed even at full power.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: