More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 29, 11:28:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  On the topic of mailboxes
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: On the topic of mailboxes  (Read 6988 times)
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
On the topic of mailboxes
« on: 2010 April 02, 03:49:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are they safe to DECIMATE?

Or, rather, nuke?

I unlocked the french/egyptian/chinese mailbox for purchase. It requires moveobjects to place, and will not function- unless the original mailbox is nuked. At which point a sim directed to smelt/get cut will properly use the foreign mailbox.

Is this safe? Does the mailbox have inherent functionality with the lot like in 2 and 1? <_<
Silent Dreamer
Feckless Fool

View Profile
Re: On the topic of mailboxes
« Reply #1 on: 2010 April 02, 05:25:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are they safe to DECIMATE?

Or, rather, nuke?

I unlocked the french/egyptian/chinese mailbox for purchase. It requires moveobjects to place, and will not function- unless the original mailbox is nuked. At which point a sim directed to smelt/get cut will properly use the foreign mailbox.

Is this safe? Does the mailbox have inherent functionality with the lot like in 2 and 1? <_<

Why don't you just try it and see?

The stupid threshold has reached critical mass! Brain explosions imminent!
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2010 April 02, 06:32:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because trying is what explodes games.

Also as a sidenote homes lifted from foreign worlds have these mailboxes and they function just fine, I just need to know if the mailbox has anything inherent in its coding or anything.
The_Goddess
Garrulous Gimp

You know how to whistle, don't you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 April 02, 06:36:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Start a new game just for testing and try it.  What are you afraid of; that Sims you don't care about will not be able to get the mail?
Jessnova
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 April 02, 07:00:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If games downloaded with the Foreign mailboxes work correctly, logic says that things will work out fine.  However, since we're dealing with EAxis, yeah, use a new game save to test it on.  Won't explode much that way if things DO happen to go wrong.

-tastes like chikin
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010 April 02, 15:55:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hm, I suppose what I need to do is make a good sim (so they can donate), actually PAY bills insead of letting that "uh oh bills" message come up, and try to successfully send stuff out for smelting.

If those work, and I can still invite sims over and recieve mail and all that, then I guess it'll be safe to assume that the mailbox doesn't have any special functionality that is required for the lot.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 April 02, 16:44:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe that the mailbox cues two NPCs: the mailperson (duh) and the newspaper deliverer. I'm having trouble on one lot right now with neither showing up on-lot, and I suspect it is because the mailbox is in a space that isn't big enough for them to access. Bills do still magically appear in the box.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010 April 02, 18:30:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since there was no sign that it's a major object, I tested for a few days and had no issues. Mail lady still came, paper boy still came, mail still came, gems still got cut, bills still came, cheats are still available by way of shift-clicking.

So I figure it's good!

http://fuzzylogicdishwasher.blogspot.com/2010/04/unlocked-wa-mailbox-and-regular-mailbox.html

There it is if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: 2010 April 02, 19:15:04 by Claeric » Logged
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 April 03, 03:00:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The reason othermailboxen don't work is because of The One Mailbox syndrome. The game assumes one mailbox and just picks the first one it sees as the One Mailbox.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2010 April 03, 03:08:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I figured.

Luckily that also means that any mailbox will work without any recanoodling or anything, just zap one and the other works.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 April 03, 03:48:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Internally, the game is unable to perceive much of a difference between any object of class Mailbox. A Mailbox is a Mailbox, as far as the scriptcore sees it. The way it appears is a cosmetic behavior perceivable only by hunams.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 April 15, 19:44:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So if you just nuke the mailbox and don't replace it (or stick it in some inaccessable location as on Zazazu's lot), the mailcarrier and paper carrier will no longer come to the lot.  Does that have any actual negative effects?  Such as the repo man comming because I dind't pay bills I never got?

I think I'm going to have to try this.
« Last Edit: 2010 April 16, 18:02:20 by Gastfyr » Logged

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 April 16, 00:27:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you nuke the mailbox and fail to replace it, lot object verification will put it back eventually.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: