More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 21:55:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  Awesomeware
| |-+  Armoire of Invincibility
| | |-+  AwesomeMod!
| | | |-+  Random Crash to Desktop
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Random Crash to Desktop  (Read 73527 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Random Crash to Desktop
« Reply #75 on: 2010 May 14, 07:12:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am not certain how that constitutes a threat.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ItchyNScratchy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2010 May 14, 11:30:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just my recommendation, insure that you have no corrupted files floating about: Completely uninstall. Delete everything. Run CCleaner.

Reinstall and patch.

Follow these instructions for installing the framework: http://sublimesims.net/smf/index.php?topic=1726.0

Drop awesome.package and aweconfig into C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages (unless you specified a different directory for game install, then follow the path as needed).

Come back and let us know if it crashes again.
LOL Funny thing is that I've just come back from a nasty virus, thanks to one of those popups "Your system may be affected! Click to run this virus scan!", those crap malware things. So, I ended up having to wipe the PC, so Sims 3 is just newly installed, and CCleaner is one of the programs I've used in addressing issues with my PC. So, that's one step down at least! Patches are also up and running as well.

Followed Rainbow_Brite's suggestion about the Resource.cfg file. It was in both files--base and WA. That was the entire problem. The one thing I didn't try to remove! *headdesk* EA really could've made things easier for us. I hate that they've made it like pulling teeth to mod a game.

Thanks for all of your help, folks! I truly appreciate it! Wink
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETA: Ok, we're back to square 1 again. After adding in aweconf to my Sims 3 WA/Mods/Packages/Hacks file, I'm back to where I started from. So, I've gone back, checked everything again with my files to make sure that everything was right where it should be, and it is. I'm not sure if I've done something wrong in putting in aweconf or what. So, here's what I did so this might be able to be fixed....

I went to the AwesomeMod Configuration, selected to generate the file, saved it to my desktop then moved it to my WA/Mods/Packages/Hacks file along with awesome package file. Rebooting the game makes it stick to about 1/3 of the way loading and doesn't go any further.
« Last Edit: 2010 May 14, 15:20:48 by ItchyNScratchy » Logged

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." ~Mark Twain
bluetank
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2010 May 14, 17:59:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you people sure this CTD only happens to windows 7 users? I get the same type of crash and I'm running windows Vista 64bit with an nvidia card (GTX 295).
« Last Edit: 2010 May 14, 18:11:27 by bluetank » Logged
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2010 May 14, 21:18:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

64-bit Vista has its own problems with running Sims 3 that result in a CTD.  I've seen them discussing it on here.  Try Search.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Rainbow_Brite
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 2010 May 14, 22:11:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ETA: Ok, we're back to square 1 again. After adding in aweconf to my Sims 3 WA/Mods/Packages/Hacks file, I'm back to where I started from. So, I've gone back, checked everything again with my files to make sure that everything was right where it should be, and it is. I'm not sure if I've done something wrong in putting in aweconf or what. So, here's what I did so this might be able to be fixed....

I went to the AwesomeMod Configuration, selected to generate the file, saved it to my desktop then moved it to my WA/Mods/Packages/Hacks file along with awesome package file. Rebooting the game makes it stick to about 1/3 of the way loading and doesn't go any further.

Do you have an updated version of the Resource.cfg file? I see that you made another file within the Packages folder so that's why I'm asking. If you are using a Resource.cfg file that you downloaded when the game first came out, it might not be coded to recognize multiple files within your Mods/Packages folder. If you're not sure, open up your Resource.cfg file in Notepad at paste:

Priority 500
DirectoryFiles Mods/Packages/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.dbc
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.dbc

This will also allow you to have .dbc files within your Mods/Packages folder. Anach has a tutorial on how to do that if you want to learn how to compile all of your CC. Usually when the game doesn't load all the way it is a framework fail. Obviously, you said it was working earlier so that's why I'm assuming it's your Resource.cfg file and not your framework. I could be wrong but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Make sure you have Awesome.package and Aweconfig.package in the SAME folder and you have the most recent version of AM.

wizard_merlin
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2010 May 15, 01:22:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got this DEP issue on priority list along with inventory.  I was on EA chat with Gavin and Microsoft for 3 hours.  I even threatened to hack SIMS 3 to make it compatible to Win 7 64 Bit.  You need to hack game to make it compatible.

What compatibility issue with Windows 7 64-Bit?  You make it sound like the game is actually unplayable on this OS.  I had CTD's with TS2 and Windows XP, did that mean they were also incompatible?

I haven't had a CTD for several weeks now, so does this mean it is or isn't compatible.

If the game was truly incompatible as yo claim, it either wouldn't run at all, or would CTD on a regular basis.

I am not a complete idiot, some of the parts are missing.
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2010 May 15, 02:07:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you have an updated version of the Resource.cfg file? I see that you made another file within the Packages folder so that's why I'm asking. If you are using a Resource.cfg file that you downloaded when the game first came out, it might not be coded to recognize multiple files within your Mods/Packages folder. If you're not sure, open up your Resource.cfg file in Notepad at paste:

Priority 500
DirectoryFiles Mods/Packages/... autoupdate
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*.dbc
PackedFile Mods/Packages/*/*.dbc

This will also allow you to have .dbc files within your Mods/Packages folder. Anach has a tutorial on how to do that if you want to learn how to compile all of your CC. Usually when the game doesn't load all the way it is a framework fail. Obviously, you said it was working earlier so that's why I'm assuming it's your Resource.cfg file and not your framework. I could be wrong but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Make sure you have Awesome.package and Aweconfig.package in the SAME folder and you have the most recent version of AM.

Also try putting things simply in the base game mods directory instead of in the EP directory. For some people this works for others is does not. I'm one of the users that it works in the base game directories but not in the ep or sp directories.

My framework is set up like so:
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3: Resource.cfg
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin: d3dx9_31.dll
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Files: DDFMap.txt and Resource.cfg (again)

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures: Resource.cfg
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 World Adventures\Game\Bin: d3dx9_31.dll

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff: Resource.cfg
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff\Game\Bin: d3dx9_31.dll

I do not have a mods directory in either WA or HELS. However, some users have reported that they need to place their mods in one or the other of those directories to get them working.
ItchyNScratchy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2010 May 15, 18:44:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, thanks, guys. Will give your suggestions a try. I'm about to just throw in the towel again. Sims 2 stuff is so much easier to handle; EA has royally screwed themselves over by making it so hard to mod (and then get it to work) this game.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." ~Mark Twain
Rainbow_Brite
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 2010 May 16, 02:49:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, thanks, guys. Will give your suggestions a try. I'm about to just throw in the towel again. Sims 2 stuff is so much easier to handle; EA has royally screwed themselves over by making it so hard to mod (and then get it to work) this game.

If it was working before you added the Aweconfig file, then you had everything set up right. You just need to figure out what went wrong. I would suggest if you have any other questions about this, post in the 'Awesomemod discussion, questions & helpful tips thread'. Maybe then more people will read your questions and be able to help you. Like I said, the only other suggestion I had to help you was making sure you had an updated resource.cfg file. Hopefully you will be able to figure it out.

:EDIT: One more thing.. do you have the DDFMap.txt? I just found this is the AM discussion thread:
I started a clean version of the game, no CC- just AM, and the same thing happened, but I figured out what was wrong. When I downloaded AM I also downloaded the framework zip found here http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15184.0.html, I put the d3dx9_31.dll file into TS3\Game\Bin folder, the resource.cfg file AND the DDFMap.txt notepad into TS3\Mods\Packages folder. When I deleted the DDFMap.txt file and threw it into the garbage, I went back and re-loaded the game and it worked perfectly... with AM installed.

UPDATE
I am now... AWESOME! Finally!
My game is now completely updated, TS3:WA version 2.6.11. AM is in my game and there is no black or red screen. I'm quite positive that the problem was that DDFMap.txt. included in the framework zip on-site, now that I have not used it, everything seems to run smoothly.

Maybe this is your problem?
« Last Edit: 2010 May 16, 02:56:49 by Rainbow_Brite » Logged

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2010 May 16, 03:32:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's no the DDFmap, because I still use the old DDFmap version and no red squares for me. However, that's really a relic of back when hacking was more technical, and no one actually uses that method today, so for the most part, no one uses the DDFmap anymore.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Fikcija
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2010 May 17, 07:04:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am having a crash to desktop just a second after I click the icon to open the game, nothing even starts happening, it just crashes immediately. The weird thing is (it sounded completely impossible to me at first, but it's proven to be consistent) it starts when I have TS2 running. At first when it didn't load I just thought "ok, I'll play TS2 now and figure what's wrong later". Then after a while minimized TS2 and tried TS3 again. It loaded so I thought that crash was random. But when the next time I turned on my computer again and tried to run TS3, it crashed again! I tried a few times, then loaded TS2, minimized it, and TS3 loaded just fine. I have no idea how this could be connected as they are in different folders, but it obviously is connected somehow.
I have only TS3 base game, using Windows XP and I'm not sure it started to happen immediately after that or some time later, but it's after I have reinstalled windows.

I know I don't have an evil twin, because I'm the evil one.
StormchaserOne
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2010 June 13, 19:00:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have also done something I did not want to do, but I did do it.  Uninstall the EADM.  No more crashes for me. 

Pescado crack open the EADM it is one of several reasons for desktop crashes.   
jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2010 June 14, 02:03:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had my first CTD while doing an architectural task.  I had placed all of the required items but paintings, and got a CTD as soon as I clicked on a CC painting in the catalog.  I'm probably going to stick to EA items for designer tasks from now on.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
StormchaserOne
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2010 June 16, 02:32:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Jeromy try Delphy's Dashboard and scan your Packages.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387006

I find that if CC is corrupted it can lead to crashes.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2010 June 16, 03:03:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado crack open the EADM it is one of several reasons for desktop crashes.
That would require installing it. What makes you think I'd be daft enough to do a dumbass thing like that?
« Last Edit: 2010 June 16, 08:49:26 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

StormchaserOne
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2010 June 16, 05:01:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Very true Pescado.  For people who do direct download will just have to keep installing and uninstalling. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2010 June 16, 08:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

People who do "direct download" are also morons, so meh.

StormchaserOne
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2010 June 17, 11:09:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or Pescado some who direct download are disabled veterans.

Also I am going to be testing a theory out.  People who have Dells like myself, Dell has piss poor fans which I did not know about until recently. I am going to be throwing in new fans.  And, also see if that is cause of crash. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2010 June 17, 11:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which does not preclude moronity, and I entirely fail to see how this is relevant at all. Playing the veteran card doesn't win points with me, I've been there myself.

jezzer
Grammar Police

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2010 June 17, 14:04:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Which does not preclude moronity, and I entirely fail to see how this is relevant at all. Playing the veteran card doesn't win points with me, I've been there myself.
What if it's a disabled veteran ALPHA_TESTERTM?  Does that not impress you?

Daghain
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2010 June 28, 04:13:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got this DEP issue on priority list along with inventory.  I was on EA chat with Gavin and Microsoft for 3 hours.  I even threatened to hack SIMS 3 to make it compatible to Win 7 64 Bit.  You need to hack game to make it compatible.

What compatibility issue with Windows 7 64-Bit?  You make it sound like the game is actually unplayable on this OS.  I had CTD's with TS2 and Windows XP, did that mean they were also incompatible?

I haven't had a CTD for several weeks now, so does this mean it is or isn't compatible.

If the game was truly incompatible as yo claim, it either wouldn't run at all, or would CTD on a regular basis.

I have a Mac, and I'm getting similar CTD's. So no, I don't think it's Windows. I'd love to figure it out, though, because this game is crap without AM.
egon_weber
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2010 June 28, 06:30:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a win xp. My game crash down when i try to use the dresser or the mirror with AM installed. Without AM is there no problems. So everytime i will make my sim having new clothes i have to uninstall AM first. I can reinstall AM again when their clothes or outfit is ok.

Daghain
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2010 June 28, 18:49:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the bug thread it's been mentioned that it might be tattoos that are the problem. There's a new patch out, I'm going to see if that works tonight.
wycked
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2010 June 28, 21:55:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the bug thread it's been mentioned that it might be tattoos that are the problem. There's a new patch out, I'm going to see if that works tonight.
I played for 2 hours without a problem earlier today, then had a tattoo done and crashed to desktop. So..yeah.
@StormchaserOne: I had a DEP issue too after installing Ambitions, took me forever to find out as I'm not computer savvy, -I'm on Win XP, not Win 7

yourfaceisepicfail
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2010 July 07, 06:02:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am also having this problem, of Sims random crashing to desktop, however I have noticed that happens from installing other mods, after AM. If I remove packages/mods etc installed after AM, I have no problem. I assume that means conflicting mods?? Not graphics related?? Either way, I have trial and error style. 12 files down, 42 to go.   -.-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: