More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 March 29, 01:09:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6511 Members
Latest Member: zheng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  The Pause that Annoys
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: The Pause that Annoys  (Read 15724 times)
friendlyquark
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
The Pause that Annoys
« on: 2010 March 26, 17:31:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is anyone else irritated by the long pause Sims have before they enter the shower? They stand there for like fifteen to 20 Sim minutes staring at the shower wasting time when I want them to get ready for work/school whatever. Not to mention how long it takes for them to shit, shower and shave before they can go downstairs for breakfast. It does not take me 2 hours to get ready for the day! Are the EAxis guys just that slow and lazy? I have taken to getting them showered the night before so I can get them up in the morning, but just cooking breakfast can take an hour! Making waffles takes an hour? Have you no Eggos in this world? I find the time lengths for activities in the Sims3 are still just as annoying as they were in the last two versions. I do not grok the logic here.

I have searched the internet looking for a fix for this without luck. Aside from speeding up studying times, or lengthening the time it takes to eat a meal, temporal issues seems unaddressed. As an illiterate in coding, is this a difficult fix? Could I destroy my game quite nicely by trying to figure out how to do that, or is it something even I could manage without creating a BFBVFS?
sewinglady
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
Re: The Pause that Annoys
« Reply #1 on: 2010 March 26, 17:41:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Apparently the coders are all like my hubby who gets up an extra hour early so he can read the paper and dink on the interwebs before he goes off to work...

I have whoever is the primary 'chef' in the house prepare breakfast meals the previous day to cut down on food prep time in the morning. Showers and baths night before helps, too. In large households, I also try to get their pixelated tushies out of bed 3 hours before they must leave for work or school. Reason for this is the odd queue crap that happens while they head for the fridge - too many queued for the fridge and some will drop the action. So large households require an awful lot of micro-managing in the mornings.

I have similar 'stalling' in my game - while cooking, showering, etc. and have been told it's my game...as others don't seem to have this. I've tried a lot of things to get rid of it. I've been able to minimize it for the most part. I notice that it is at it's worst when the mail delivery person enters the lot. Again, it's probably just my borkenated game.

El Adamo
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 March 26, 18:07:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In some cases this could be accurate.  For example, I'm supposed to be to work in 40 minutes, which means I should be showering right now, but instead I'm sitting in front of the computer reading these posts.

What would be cool would be a "hooker-bath" addon, so a sim could achieve at least partial cleanliness right out of the sink if they're in the hurry.
Sparks
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010 March 26, 19:38:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Sims pause constantly. While just walking through their house, they often freeze for a second or two (mid-walk), but I figured this was because of graphical lighting and shadows needing to be drawn. Same with any time they need to change clothing. I always though it was the game being retarded and having to cycle through all of my Sims clothing, and choosing which clothing they'll wear after they shower. They're always late to the carpool because they stand there for 45 minutes switching into career clothing. I've changed my settings around a lot and this one issue is one that I cannot resolve.

I Can Haz Portal 2?!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 March 26, 20:32:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is an issue with the game choosing to preserve real-time behavior over atomic behavior. If your sims have frozen during a uniform change, it is because their uniform has to be loaded into the game and, rather than preserving game-behavior atomicity, it chooses to keep the gameflow smooth, so instead of halting the game to perform the loading, the game just keeps running while one sim is stalled. To avoid this, pause the game when you notice it happening so that the game can finish loading without burning gametime.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
jezzer
Grammar Police

"Start a new thread" is the new "Search."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 March 26, 23:26:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't had the pausing problem really, but my biggest time-waster is the fucking atrocious pathing in TS3.  My upstairs Sims get up, I queue them to go to the fridge and grab leftovers for breakfast, and each and every one of them goes downstairs, buttonhooks AROUND the stairs, and stands facing the wall behind the stairs for a few seconds like a creepy Sim-homage to "The Blair Witch Project" before going to the fridge.  It's like the end-space for going down the stairs is BEHIND the stairs, for some insane reason.

The worst pathing is reserved for toddlers.  No matter how much space I have in a toddler's room, if my Sim-sprog grabs a toy from the toy chest, he/she has to carry it into another room before sitting and playing with it.  If I queue an adult to put the kid in the crib, the toddler ambulates off to a faraway room to be picked up, adding a good hour of Sim-time to the tucking-in process.

<soozelwoozel>  Remember the days when jezzer used to have adorable pictures of ratties holding teddy bears as his avatar? Now it\\\'s all eyeless cave vagina spiders and despair.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 March 27, 10:33:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Toddlers tend to get carried around to be fed as well. Clearly toddlers require some minimum space for their activities. A solution is to have a toddler bedroom be only sufficient for the crib, with a larger area adjacent for play, feeding etc.

More F than you
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2010 March 27, 16:31:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never ever seen this pause-before-shwoer issue everyone seems to have. :|

And if the routing in your house is bad, change the house. Obviously the routing cannot be excused, but if your sims go stand in a space behind the stairs, get rid of that space? And try again.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 March 27, 17:18:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Toddlers tend to get carried around to be fed as well. Clearly toddlers require some minimum space for their activities. A solution is to have a toddler bedroom be only sufficient for the crib, with a larger area adjacent for play, feeding etc.
I design small homes, and this is definitely an issue. Like you said, I've found the best solution to be having the nursery/kid room only hold sleeping furniture and usually a toddler potty, plus a one-tile-wide walking aisle. The next room has to have dedicated space for interactions like teaching to walk or talk, plus a toy. A 3x3 space will suffice, but you want the toy on an edge and not through the middle. Play tables are luxuries that are only given to sims who have larger lots (over 14x12) or a dedicated spawn-only floor.

The stair issue is odd. Are these stairs by chance of a stacked set? Did you make them L-shaped using cheats? I haven't done stacked ones, but I have done L-shaped a few times and they can be very challenging to set up in a way that sims will actually navigate because sometimes they ignore the lower set and walk around in nether space if you don't level off an adequate number of tiles in the middle.

EDIT: Oh, and if you are dealing with a small space and insist on having a toy box, open the toy box and remove all but one or two toys. Otherwise you'll end up with a play space that becomes completely unusable.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 March 27, 17:31:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate toy boxes, so I tend to buy them to satisfy a wish and then delete the box. Each child in a family gets one toy and one teddy in its inventory at birth. Extra toys can make realistic playroom decor when placed on dressers or end tables.

More F than you
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2010 March 27, 20:02:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No doubt that TS3 went right back to pre TS1-alpha for a routing engine. What gets me is the way they still walk into each other; only now they both stop and stand around looking stupid, long enough for even a DNA-challenged amoeba to evolve sentience, before either of them decides to move again. Is it really that difficult to code, even a semi-intelligent, routing engine?

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 March 27, 22:53:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I hate toy boxes, so I tend to buy them to satisfy a wish and then delete the box. Each child in a family gets one toy and one teddy in its inventory at birth. Extra toys can make realistic playroom decor when placed on dressers or end tables.
I don't actually give them toys, because in MY day, we didn't have toys, they hadn't been invented yet! We had to play with jagged metal and broken glass, AND WE LIKED IT!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
gysca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010 March 28, 06:40:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just to add my experience, my first sims are always "stuck" holding the door when trying walking out the bedroom when I told one of them to feed the fish that I had neatly arranged on both sides over 3 xtra long dining table and 1 small wooden dining table. maybe too much animation or too much movement in one view? I miss the big aquarium that I used a lot in the 1st sims game. shrinkable fish bowl, yeah, good idea, but I want to minimize animation to speed up the game.
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010 March 28, 10:30:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This always happened to me everytime a sim changes his/her outfit for work. He/she wasted about 30 minutes? standing so stupid until changes the outfit. Ugh.

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010 March 28, 10:43:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We've been over the outfit-change stuckness. To prevent it, pause the game while an outfit change is occurring so that the game can load without burning gametime.

Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010 March 28, 12:30:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

We've been over the outfit-change stuckness. To prevent it, pause the game while an outfit change is occurring so that the game can load without burning gametime.

So I need to watch every sims in the household. Anyway, is it possible to make a mod for this?

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010 March 28, 12:42:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I need to watch every sims in the household. Anyway, is it possible to make a mod for this?

Blame EA and their sucky coding. On my new PC (an Intel Core i3), the outfit-changing is instantaneous, but on my old Athlon 64 3200+ PC (before it died), it would take several sim-minutes to do it. Really, all of this stuff should be pre-cached from the start, from the moment you leave CAS, or the moment the game generate townies even if it means an initial five-minute wait before playing, but EA wanted to give this illusion of speed, even on lower-end CPUs, and they've failed miserably in that regard.

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010 March 29, 13:07:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blame EA and their sucky coding. On my new PC (an Intel Core i3), the outfit-changing is instantaneous, but on my old Athlon 64 3200+ PC (before it died), it would take several sim-minutes to do it. Really, all of this stuff should be pre-cached from the start, from the moment you leave CAS, or the moment the game generate townies even if it means an initial five-minute wait before playing, but EA wanted to give this illusion of speed, even on lower-end CPUs, and they've failed miserably in that regard.

Sounds like it is possible.

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
myskaal
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010 March 29, 21:54:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FWIW I discovered unchecking the the little option box that enables the store/shop while you play increased my performance by great measures. YMMV
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010 March 29, 23:16:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's POSSIBLE to stop it from doing that, but then your game will behave similarly to TS2: The entire world will hiccup every time someone, anywhere, changes uniform.

Sivany
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010 April 02, 10:06:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No doubt that TS3 went right back to pre TS1-alpha for a routing engine. What gets me is the way they still walk into each other; only now they both stop and stand around looking stupid, long enough for even a DNA-challenged amoeba to evolve sentience, before either of them decides to move again. Is it really that difficult to code, even a semi-intelligent, routing engine?

This is the thing I hate the most about Sims 3. What is the point of it? They do it even if there is a clearly identifiable route for them to take past each other without either having to stop. In the midst of several tiles worth of space they still choose to walk into each other and then stand around looking stupid for half a sim hour.
Baronetess
spaceface
Retarded Reprobate

Lost in Middle-earth

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010 April 02, 10:10:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I simply hate the foot-tapping, it makes them look extra stupid.

More F than you
Baron
uknortherner
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010 April 03, 12:51:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got really pissed off with the routing issues, so I messed around with the .ini file so that these morons simply walk through each other. I had my concerns the moment I saw some of the demo videos and developer walkthroughs where you saw loads of sims standing around, moaning about route failure and tapping their feet. Hell, EA even used that bloody animation to make it look like they were tapping in tune in one of their promo videos (the candy-stealing one)!

INTJ (44/12/38/67).
"We're building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business." -EA CFO Blake Jorgensen
That Eighties Guy
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010 April 03, 21:51:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hear, hear.

When they collide, they stop, tap their fucking foot, then takes another step forward; only to collide AGAIN in a mere second. Repeating this until they clip their puddingfaces through each other.
Tangie
Exasperating Eyesore

INFJ

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010 April 04, 22:22:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

THIS! A long time ago I downloaded a mod that stops the foot-tapping from MTS because I couldn't STAND it, but naturally they still pause for an abnormally long time before they both turn in the same direction - and fucking run into each other AGAIN.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: