More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 25, 09:17:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Can I move a family to another neighborhood?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Can I move a family to another neighborhood?  (Read 4399 times)
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
Can I move a family to another neighborhood?
« on: 2010 March 21, 14:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Let's say I have a family and they breed, have grand kids and so on. Can I move them out from their house and move in to another neighborhood without trashing my game?

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Can I move a family to another neighborhood?
« Reply #1 on: 2010 March 21, 15:18:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Assuming you pack a fambly with all of its relatives, this should work in TS3. If a fambly link is broken, I do not know what will happen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 March 21, 18:47:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Assuming you pack a fambly with all of its relatives, this should work in TS3. If a fambly link is broken, I do not know what will happen.

I would suggest then that pussy try it and report back on results.

Tribulatio proxima est
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2010 March 21, 19:53:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims don't carry ties with them. It would be nice if a tiny bit of space was used in their file to keep that information(It's not like they need more than names and thumbnails), but it isn't.

Here's Jocasta and Michael after moving to another town.

If you want to save a tree, you need to put EVERYONE in one house, then move them. You can just dump the rest of the family by kicking them out after.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 March 21, 23:31:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims don't carry ties with them. It would be nice if a tiny bit of space was used in their file to keep that information(It's not like they need more than names and thumbnails), but it isn't.
That wouldn't be nice. That would be a recreation of why doing this in TS2 exploded the neighborhood. It is proper that sims not included are not referenced because otherwise the entire neighborhood could be duplicated like this, resulting in the TS2-style explosion.

So it appears that moving between neighborhoods is now a completely safe procedure.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Claeric
Shouty Vole
Pinheaded Pissant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010 March 22, 00:54:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, I see.

Does it cause a problem, then, if you take a kid, a mom, and a dad...and also bring along grandma, grandpa, grandma version 2, uncle bob, and uncle bob's weird friend, only to kick them out into the abyss?
Viscount
immortelleMuse
Blathering Buffoon

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 March 22, 01:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For what it's worth, there's Twallan's "Porter" which apparently packs families to be ready for unpacking in other neighborhoods: http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?topic=1692.0

I've tried this with the Goth family, though it only packed the Crumplebottom deceased (I also packed Agnes, alive, as well). I put in the gravestones of the Goth ancestors into Gunther's inventory and Erik Darling into Agnes'. I moved them into a cleaned-up version of Sunset Valley, and it seemed to show everyone in the family tree link perfectly (same with the Bachelors).

However, I can't say if it will work moving them into a custom or Riverview 'hood. Last I tried adding gravestones into a Sims inventory WITHOUT using the Porter, the "links" were there but the pictures of the deceased relatives did not appear and their gravestones would produce an error if using debug mode to spawn a ghost (e.g. never produced ghosts at all.)

I would assume if you allowed there to be more than 8 members in a household and tried using the Porter to include all relatives it may work. I've never configured my AwesomeMod that way, but once I'm finished tinkering with CAW I might go back in-game and get back to you on that (or one of you can test it before then.)

And so... there it is. Yeah.

No matter how old you are, no matter how badass you think you are, if a toddler hands you their ringing toy phone-- you answer it.
Freezerburn
Dimwitted Dunce

I haet F-ly retarded snowflaek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 March 22, 10:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would suggest then that pussy try it and report back on results.

My TS2 game trashed because of this. I don't want it to happen again.

Here's Jocasta and Michael after moving to another town.

If you want to save a tree, you need to put EVERYONE in one house, then move them. You can just dump the rest of the family by kicking them out after.

What about the dead relatives? Should I put their urn/tombstone in the house together with the moving out family?

For what it's worth, there's Twallan's "Porter" which apparently packs families to be ready for unpacking in other neighborhoods: http://ts3.tscexchange.com/index.php?topic=1692.0

I try to like this mod but

1) Do not place a porter family as the first family in a fresh town.  The game may drop the head's up display and not allow you to continue.  First select a regular family, and then find an empty house and use the "Unpack" to import a Porter family.

2) After using "Pack": Do not enter "Edit Town" without first unpausing.  If you do not unpause, the "Return To Game" button may be missing from the "Edit Town" window.

3) Do not attempt to export your entire town in a single family.  The game will run out of memory attempting to create the file and either hang indefinitely or crash to the desktop.

4) DO NOT share porter families on the Exchange!  If you mess up someone's town file with one of these files, I will not be impressed.

This is just a phail for me to memorize each precaution in the game.

ISTJ                       
Imma Ee Ass Elle
Don't Abuse The Search Box!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: