More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 26, 17:59:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Nightlife Noise and Installation
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Nightlife Noise and Installation  (Read 6511 times)
Starpoo
Asinine Airhead

Another thing we must NEVAR FORGET!

View Profile
Nightlife Noise and Installation
« on: 2010 February 02, 23:08:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aren't my titles great?
Anyway, after uninstalling TS2  Shocked and reinstalling  Smiley it on the other...partition, I can't re-install NL. The CD makes a terrible roaring sort of noise that is mostly muffled by holding on to the...I don't know what it's called, of the disk drive. Only two other CDs that I know of do this. However, it doesn't stop there. About 12, 13% completion, it stops, and my laptops makes a clicking noise that makes me nervous and a BSoD! I have to forcefully turn it off. Wait for a POST error, then off and on again for full functionality.
Make sense?
I decided to come here before going to Tech. Support (again). Google was of no help.

"There isn't enough neurotoxin to kill you. So I guess you win. HA! I'm making more. Thats going to take a few minutes though. Meanwhile, oh look, it's your old pal the rocket turret." --GLaDOS
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
Re: Nightlife Noise and Installation
« Reply #1 on: 2010 February 02, 23:51:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sounds like you have a bad CD. Torrent NL and install it that way.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
Starpoo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 February 07, 00:44:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you suggesting that I ARRR! it? Cheesy Know any good sources/authors(?). I was kinda hoping EA would give me a free digital download or replace the disk. I should look into that...and reinstall Torrent.

"There isn't enough neurotoxin to kill you. So I guess you win. HA! I'm making more. Thats going to take a few minutes though. Meanwhile, oh look, it's your old pal the rocket turret." --GLaDOS
HomeschooledByTards
Senator

warm n jiggly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 February 07, 02:22:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They might replace the disk, but it would be easier to just torrent it. isohunt.com is a good place to start looking. utorrent is a small and well made torrent client.

EA's digital downloads force you to use their EADM software with DRM and blah crap. Plus, I found that the download speed was considerably less than a decent torrent.

[19:30] <sooze> YAY BFFs
[19:30] <sooze> Bestest Foes Forever
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 February 07, 13:24:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A clicking noise followed by a BSOD is a sign of failing hardware. Listen closely to see what is clicking: The CD drive, or possibly your hard drive. The status of the disk is indeterminate. A normal lappy CD drive should never click or make other weird noises, as the CDs are rigidly locked to the spindle, and such noises indicate something has gone horribly wrong with the computer.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
professorbutters
Humourless Egghead
Lipless Loser

Humourless Priss

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010 February 07, 18:27:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My tech told me once that sounds like that are the computer equivalent of someone banging his head against the wall.  The longer it goes on, the more likely you are to lose data.  They replaced the hard drive and the optical drive, and when it continued to happen, they replaced the entire machine.  In any case, I would get it checked out.

Starpoo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 February 12, 03:19:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My nervousness is not in...ah, vain. Yes, that's it. Looks like I'm fishing for Torrents. Or writing to EA.

ETA: I did look inside to see if anything is loose, but the case just covers up too much and K didn't take too much time looking around. I should check again some time again.
« Last Edit: 2010 February 12, 03:24:53 by Starpoo » Logged

Starpoo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 March 27, 03:03:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okay, I've finally got it downloaded, I've two folders: CD1 and CD2. The former has an .mdf and an .mds file, the latter, a .bin and a .cue file. What do I do with them?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 March 27, 04:41:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You mount them in a virtual CD drive, like Daemon Tools, and then you treat them like a regular CD.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Starpoo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 March 27, 04:59:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never used Daemon before, I don't know what to do. How sad.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 March 27, 07:34:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds like a personal problem to me, soldier.

Starpoo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010 March 28, 21:08:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, soldier... Anyway, I got it fixed. I simply did a manual installation. Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes 111!11one (sorry, couldn't help myself). No errors during transfer so I have no idea what the CD's problem is. It's great to know all that time was for nothing. I should have checked the Support site first.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: