More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 April 28, 17:10:10

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Board-Warming Party!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Board-Warming Party!  (Read 24024 times)
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Board-Warming Party!
« on: 2005 July 15, 19:50:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hooray!  A new site!  This calls for a party!

Hey, I even brought some site-warming gifts for you, JM!  I'll just put this nice almost-unused zebra-striped sofa over here.  You'll like it; it's a classic, very few of the springs poke through and the patches hardly show except where the stitching came out.

While I'm at it, I'll just put this kudzu plant right over here so you'll have some greenery to brighten up the place.  Grin

Greg
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Board-Warming Party!
« Reply #1 on: 2005 July 15, 19:54:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ack!  OK, dumb question: My avatar is scaled up from 64x64 to 128x128.  Is that some thing the board is doing or a problem with my source image?
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 July 15, 20:01:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe it's a weird type of file.  Mine's a JPEG.  Or mabye you just need to resize it again--my avatar, again, is 100x100, and by the looks of things, everyone else's is the same or similar.  Size it to that and see what happens.

Or you could try to clense it of evil spirits.  That's a sure-fire way to go.  Use Drano and turpentine.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 July 15, 21:19:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oddly enough, I fixed it by uploading the image to the board instead of remote-linking it from my site.

Or maybe it was the Drano and turpentine.  I added a little chicken blood to the mixture just to make sure.
LK
Terrible Twerp

Humanity can suck my hard drive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 July 15, 21:22:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

See, I was going to suggest the blood as well, but with that, there's always a remote chance of a complete meltdown.  But I'm glad it worked for you.

http://www.thesporum.net
The First, The Original, The Best
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 July 15, 22:08:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While I'm at it, I'll just put this kudzu plant right over here so you'll have some greenery to brighten up the place.  Grin

I think Pescado's place is the one place on earth where kudzu wouldn't dare grow. And Greg, your southerness is showing.  Wink
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 July 15, 22:14:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Pescado's place is the one place on earth where kudzu wouldn't dare grow. And Greg, your southerness is showing.  Wink

So I'm guessing kudzu is a parasite (I'm having one of my brighter evenings, I guess).
By the way Reg, talking about southern things, I just inspected one of your brilliant southern houses more closely. I'm getting ready to move a sim into it; how on earth did you get the porch to hang out over the water like that. I am simply amazed. I'm really beginning to wish there was more greenery available so you (cough) can build even more houses.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 July 15, 23:31:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, being from the south myself, I know what kudzu is, and most people don't want it.  I looked it up in our favorite site, Dictionary.com, and it says it well:

An eastern Asian vine (Pueraria lobata) having compound leaves and clusters of reddish-purple flowers. It is grown for fodder, forage, and root starch, and is a widespread weed in the southeast United States.

I have never seen any flowers though.  It was originally planted to help cover the bare patches of red clay dirt that is commonly seen around Alabama where I grew up.  In Japan, I was told there was a beetle that keeps it under control there, but here it just grows wildly out of control.  I have seen pictures of houses covered in it.  A fine example of what happens when you remove something from its natural habitat.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 July 15, 23:49:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I tell you people, kudzu wouldn't a problem if you simply got more goats. As a side benefit, you could then sacrifice the excess goats to me. Goats love kudzu.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 July 16, 00:20:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, being from the south myself, I know what kudzu is, and most people don't want it. 

And the dictionary.com failed to mention it chokes the ever-living daylights out of anything it creeps onto so you end up with tree shaped kudzu topiary and the underlying trees are dead.  Heeeeeyyyy, maybe Greg was thinking of making a JM topiary??? Shocked

Chris
« Last Edit: 2005 July 16, 00:41:49 by faemidwife » Logged

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 July 16, 00:21:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

GOATS, I tell you. The answer is GOATS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 July 16, 00:28:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And the dictionary.com failed to mention it chokes the every-living daylights out of anything it creeps onto so you end up with tree shaped kudzu topiary and the underlying trees are dead.

Oh my. We have climbers and vines over here too (mostly grape-vines, and we like those), but nothing like this. It sounds like a terrible horror movie from Hollywood. And a little depressing :P

Goats, hmm. We don't have many of those in my region either, just a lot of deer and those nasty, bloodthirsty, and brutish wild boars.

G.

~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
kim
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2005 July 16, 00:37:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

old goats?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 July 16, 00:48:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh my. We have climbers and vines over here too (mostly grape-vines, and we like those), but nothing like this. It sounds like a terrible horror movie from Hollywood. And a little depressing Tongue
At least until you discover goats will eat the stuff. Goats LIKE to eat the stuff.

and those nasty, bloodthirsty, and brutish wild boars.
Hey, don't diss wild boars. You know the saying, "Life's a bitch, and then you're raped by wild boars!". Well, that's no joke. And it's also really funny to watch.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 July 16, 00:48:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heeeeeyyyy, maybe Greg was thinking of making a JM topiary??? Shocked

A JM topiary.  I would like to see that one. Cheesy
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 July 16, 00:49:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, don't diss wild boars. You know the saying, "Life's a bitch, and then you're raped by wild boars!". Well, that's no joke. And it's also really funny to watch.

Do y'all have kudzu up there in Montana?  I didn't think you did.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 July 16, 00:50:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, but I'm familiar with the stuff.

zephyr
« Reply #17 on: 2005 July 16, 03:24:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hiding all goats in barn until this thread dies. Shocked
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 July 16, 05:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Goats LIKE to eat the stuff.

Is there anything goats don't like to eat?

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 July 16, 09:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By the way Reg, talking about southern things, I just inspected one of your brilliant southern houses more closely. I'm getting ready to move a sim into it; how on earth did you get the porch to hang out over the water like that. I am simply amazed. I'm really beginning to wish there was more greenery available so you (cough) can build even more houses.

G.

::Blush:: The pole deck will do that automatically. Just start from land and drag it out as far as you want over the water.

I have a couple that are done, but I built them in my regular hack-filled game. I need to draw out the plans and build them in the hack-free zone. I kind of go about it in a backwards fashion. I don't draw up plans until after the house is done and I decide if I like it. I also need to go and take some pictures of Anne Rice's house. I've been wanting to build it for quite some time, but I want to make sure I get it right. Smiley
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 July 16, 15:04:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Posted by: reggikko
I also need to go and take some pictures of Anne Rice's house. I've been wanting to build it for quite some time, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Anne Rice's house? How great, yes please do that. I hope it works out, I hope you have lots of time, and I hope you can build it(I'm full of hope are'nt I). Do you need anything? A cup of coffee, a drink, etc.? If you need a tester, ask no more, hacks and all. I use the clean-installer anyways, and get rid of what I don't want before I install. I might never make it to NO, but at least, with your help, my simmies can.

Posted by: J. M. Pescado
Hey, don't diss wild boars.

Don't diss wild boars? Have you ever seen one of these brutes in action? They attack just for the hell of it, they just like to wreak havoc. A friend of mine told me that a mortally wounded wild boar attacked their high-stand and kept at it for at least five minutes before it finally realized it was already dead. If you can't kill them with a single shot, you better be a very fast runner, a good climber, or an exceptionally calm person so you can shot it again and do it right this time, otherwise you're dead. May I recommend a tank for boar hunting purposes? :P

G. 

Akharra
Corpulent Cretin

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 July 16, 15:40:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True.Goats will eat anything...including things that you don't want them to eat. They are also incredibly dumb.My bother had eight of them on his property just to clean out the undergrowth. He spent most of his time rescuing them from small disasters such as getting stuck in fencing and falling in the river. He finally bought a weed_eater!

Formerly known as Tess.

All those that believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 July 16, 15:47:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, you'd be amazed at what a good flamethrower can do. Doesn't get stuck in the fence. Of course, some people don't seem to like the idea of everything south of the Mason Dixon line being lit on fire, which is what it would take to get rid of the kudzu. Funny, that.

The scariest thing about kudzu is that it grows like 2 feet per DAY. You can basically see it grow. Here in the D.C. area we're having problems with snakeheads, so whenever they do an article on that they have to mention the great god of invasive species that is the kudzu vine.

Speaking of which, we should stock Pescado's pond with a snakehead or two.

Oh, and get three ceiling lamps, rope them togethor into a triangle, attach thrusters to them, and hang them from the ceiling. Then JMP will have his very own "Rave Room of Doom!" And any Half Life 2 players should get Gary's mod, try that in the dark room, and turn bloom way up. It's very cool. But make sure to turn god-mode on first, or you'll discover why it's called the Rave Room of Doom.
SimsHost
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 July 16, 23:29:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aha!  Goats!  I'll have to add goats to my shopping list!

Right now my little piece of Texas is in Wylie (near Dallas) where kudzu isn't so entertaining, but I'm looking at lots of jobs down in the Southern Swamps of Houston.  Even if that doesn't work out, the U.S. space centers are mostly in the swampy South, so knowledge of kudzu combat techniques could suddenly become an essential survival skill!  Grin

Oddysey, what's a snakehead?  I'm guessing that it's the kudzu of the fish kingdom.  And I agree; a guy named Pescado must have a fish pond.  I'm sure JM can find just the right fish to keep snakeheads under control.  Perhaps pirahna; they'd be fun to watch!

Greg

veilchen
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 July 16, 23:39:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oddysey, what's a snakehead?  I'm guessing that it's the kudzu of the fish kingdom.  And I agree; a guy named Pescado must have a fish pond.  I'm sure JM can find just the right fish to keep snakeheads under control.  Perhaps pirahna; they'd be fun to watch!
Greg

Although I'm not Oddysey we seem to live in the same area. The snakehead is a fish of asian origin and a master parasite. It devours ponds and lakes inhabitants and has become a returning news issue in the Greater Baltimore/Washington region. Someone seems to have released those fish into the lakes and  streams and they were fruitful and dutifully multiplied. Every now and then we are treated to sightings and news items related to the snakehead. It is a newroom standby, or so it seems.

G.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: